HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Post Game PHX at LA 9/23

Old
09-24-2010, 09:33 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

vCash: 500
Post Game PHX at LA 9/23

A few thoughts from last night

-Staples had probably 8-9 thousand people. It was pretty quiet. The new score board is teh bomb. So much better than the last one.

- I was fearing for Kozun every time he was on the ice. The kid is sooooo small it really sticks out.

- Quick let in two softies, but played decent.

- Kopi's line looked ok. Brown had a strong game and Smyth was still getting knocked off his skates any time someone touched him.

- Doughty looked like he knew it was pre season and was having a good time out there. He scored a nice goal in warm-ups and I heard the ''woooooohoooooo'' from the premier section.

- Schenn played pretty responsible and had a nice goal.

- Loktionov impressed me a lot. He is very crafty with the puck, and I liked him on the pp with the big boys. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the team over Schenn.

- Jack had a strong game and was running guys around all night. He's probably the strongest guy we have on the ice, physically imo.

- Kind of a dud of a game overall, but thats why it's pre-season. Just glad hockey is back!!!!

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:24 AM
lewis black

How did Fransson look? Does he have a chance to make the team?

lewis black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:32 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis black View Post
How did Fransson look? Does he have a chance to make the team?

I thought he looked pretty good. He made some good plays, and was pretty calm with his decisions out there. Don't know if he'll make the team though, because it's probably going to come down to him and Hickey.

Old
09-24-2010, 10:36 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Hickey's play makes it look like he has a couple of years under his belt in the bigs already, smooth calm poised. He will be hard to beat out.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:43 AM
paulbystereo

I thought Fransson looked decent, and Muzzin did as well last night. I'd still give the edge to Hickey for the 6th spot as of now.

paulbystereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:52 AM
lewis black

I'm wondering if they brought Fransson over to give Hickey another year in the AHL since he missed so many games last year.
Or he could just be insurance in case none of the youngsters are ready. At 25 I wonder if he would report to the AHL if he doesn't make it or go back to Europe. I heard he had a substantial contract offer over there.
What do you think?

lewis black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:21 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

I thought Fransson looked significantly better than Muzzin, and I always watch defenseman. I liked what I saw of him. Good skater and passer. Good positioning as well, not overly physical. I especially liked that he hits the quick outlet, and looks to get his shot through rather than putting everything on it.

Muzzin needs more AHL time.

I haven't seen Hickey yet this pre-season to be able to gauge one against the other.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Quattro

I was impressed by Schenn and Loktionov. Schenn is much bigger than I realized. I can definitely see him in a 4th line role as he learns the NHL game.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I guess the thing I noticed last night was Moller staying on his skates in a lot of situatinos he wouldn't have last year. I'll qualify by saying it could have been the competition he was going up against but he did appear to be bigger/stronger. I think he might make the team again.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:05 PM
grncobra76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I thought Fransson looked significantly better than Muzzin, and I always watch defenseman.
DHKF,
How did Moller look? From what I have seen (Intersquad scrimmage) and read he is ready again for the bigs. I'm really pushing for him to take Parses spot.

grncobra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:07 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I guess the thing I noticed last night was Moller staying on his skates in a lot of situatinos he wouldn't have last year. I'll qualify by saying it could have been the competition he was going up against but he did appear to be bigger/stronger. I think he might make the team again.
I hope so! I think Moller has great talent and could score a lot of points with the right people. I'm a big fan of his, though I think the 4th line isn't the place for him. He needs to be on the second line if possible.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:57 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grncobra76 View Post
DHKF,
How did Moller look? From what I have seen (Intersquad scrimmage) and read he is ready again for the bigs. I'm really pushing for him to take Parses spot.

He looked a lot stronger on his skates, like everybody has mentioned. I agree with you wishing he'd take Parses spot, but I doubt it happens after Dean said Parse is a top 3 player in regards to skill level.

Old
09-24-2010, 02:00 PM
FroFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
He looked a lot stronger on his skates, like everybody has mentioned. I agree with you wishing he'd take Parses spot, but I doubt it happens after Dean said Parse is a top 3 player in regards to skill level.
I think Parse is going to be on a short leash. Purcell had some of best pure puck skills on the team, and we saw what happened with him.

FroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Chazz Reinhold

So what are the chances we get a live stream of the game on Tuesday?

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:07 PM
regulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I thought Fransson looked significantly better than Muzzin, and I always watch defenseman. I liked what I saw of him. Good skater and passer. Good positioning as well, not overly physical. I especially liked that he hits the quick outlet, and looks to get his shot through rather than putting everything on it.

Muzzin needs more AHL time.

I haven't seen Hickey yet this pre-season to be able to gauge one against the other.
I agree with this sentiment. Watched the game in person last night and watched closely as I could when they were on the ice. Muzzin was guilty of pinching badly 2 or 3 times and has less poise but is more physical. Fransson made one very bad pinch but appears more NHL ready because of his smooth skating, first pass, and poise. He still has some work to do positionally, but I think he will make the cut over Muzzin if the choice was between those two. However, having said that, I have seen Hickey in person twice this season, (Frasson and Muzzin three times), plus it sounds like Hickey played very well in the two NHL preseason games, and I really like Hickey's poise, passing, and decision making over the other two contenders. Still a question mark though if he can handle the D side sufficiently, especially when it comes to his strength. Will see. He reminds of Lubo coming out of the zone, and Quincey with he PP QB abilities. Fransson or Hickey can definitely handle the points on the PP.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Couple of things from last night that I remember, Moller went shoulder to shoulder with Jovo in a fight for the loose puck. Jovo landed on his ass and Oscar had the puck. Still I did not consider it a very impressive game from Oscar.

Fransson looks like he's been playing in a higher league then say Muzzin. It looked like he was able to make the smart play and had his head up while he made the play. Just simple smaller stuff that he maybe ready for the NHL compared to others. I also liked a slapper he took in the first. Hard low shot that created a rebound that we couldn't cash in.

Brown was better in the third then he was in the first two. He still drives me insane though with Kopitar and Smyth, I just don't like how he's played his game with those two players. Could that change, it's possible, but for now I'm not a fan.

Doughty tried to kill Belanger with a hipcheck last night and missed. It seemed like he really wanted to just pound the hell out of people.

Loktionov I still think will make the NHL on his vision alone. He always seems to see an open man for a pass. I said that last year as well with him. The head is always up and he reads the play so well. Obviously with any smaller player like an Oscar Moller it's going to come to positioning and playing the puck with a body on you. He should have had an assist in the first period on a perfect 3 on 2 set up but King shanked the shot wide.

I wasn't as impressed with Schenn and Clifford as I was last year, but it's only been a game and we will see how they do in their next game most likely Tuesday night. That will probably be a big night on who stays and who goes.

Quick's first goal was a shot he'd want to save and should, but it's not awful in a preseason game. Now the second goal was just pathetic.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

Quick is still letting in softies? Good grief!

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Wawota

Schenn

If Lokti beats out Schenn -- does Schenn have to go back to Juniors?

Wawota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 04:00 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawota View Post
Yes.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The young guns are going to make it very tough for the coaches and management to trim their roster to 23. Loktionov, Schenn, Moller and Clifford have all played exceptionally well, to the point where all four should be considered for a roster spot. Parse better be concerned for his spot, if he fails to deliver, someone will take his spot.

It also should be mentioned that Elkins and Lewis have also performed well enough to be considered for a spot on the fourth line or as spare forwards on the roster.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 04:35 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawota View Post
Depends what spot he takes...

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The young guns are going to make it very tough for the coaches and management to trim their roster to 23. Loktionov, Schenn, Moller and Clifford have all played exceptionally well, to the point where all four should be considered for a roster spot. Parse better be concerned for his spot, if he fails to deliver, someone will take his spot.

It also should be mentioned that Elkins and Lewis have also performed well enough to be considered for a spot on the fourth line or as spare forwards on the roster.
Agree wholeheartedly.

As for the boldface, I actually think Parse has played well and is showing improvement, but the four you've mentioned are really rising. I think one of them forces Parse out...and I mean that as a compliment to them rather than a slam on Parse.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Martyros

How about Nolan? You guys think he'll get some time with Westgarth out?

Martyros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 05:32 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
How about Nolan? You guys think he'll get some time with Westgarth out?
Westgarth out? He's played both preseason road games.

DAkings20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Nolan and Elkins were sent to Manchester today.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote