HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bartulis - What do you/Flyers do?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2010, 12:08 PM
  #76
DenverBoone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I guarantee if Bartulis is waived he ends up with the Isles or another divisional rival
And scores a GWG to keep us out of the playoffs, with Boucher in net after Leighton gets chased.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:10 PM
  #77
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
And scores a GWG to keep us out of the playoffs, with Boucher in net after Leighton gets chased.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
  #78
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
And scores a GWG to keep us out of the playoffs, with Boucher in net after Leighton gets chased.


What can you do?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:18 AM
  #79
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,250
vCash: 500
simple...
waive walker, keep bart. But when does homer do the simple & obvious?

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:29 AM
  #80
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
if his value is off the charts then why wouldnt they trade him first instead of waiving him?
I don't think his value is quite 'off the charts,' and I do believe 100% that he will get claimed...but the answer to this question is very, very simple.

Ready for it?

Everyone knows we have too many defensemen and need to send someone down. Why on earth would anyone trade us fair value (or anything) on a player they KNOW we have no choice but to move or waive?

Bartulis' trade value is almost nothing because of our situation with him. Teams will salivate at the chance to claim a cheap, serviceable, young depth defensemen on a great contract off the waiver wire.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:27 AM
  #81
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I don't think his value is quite 'off the charts,' and I do believe 100% that he will get claimed...but the answer to this question is very, very simple.

Ready for it?

Everyone knows we have too many defensemen and need to send someone down. Why on earth would anyone trade us fair value (or anything) on a player they KNOW we have no choice but to move or waive?

Bartulis' trade value is almost nothing because of our situation with him. Teams will salivate at the chance to claim a cheap, serviceable, young depth defensemen on a great contract off the waiver wire.
Disagree. What if a team lieks him and finished in the middle of the pack? If he is waived tyhe chances that they get him on waivers is slim. So they would need to part with a pick to acquire him. The flyers do a have a choice. Sadly they will in all likelyhood make the wrong one.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:35 AM
  #82
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,076
vCash: 500
I thought Bartulis looked quite good in the first 2 games this season. It's a shame we are forcing him out with an unneccesary player (and +1 million in salary)

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:37 AM
  #83
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I thought Bartulis looked quite good in the first 2 games this season. It's a shame we are forcing him out with an unneccesary player (and +1 million in salary)
Completely agree.

I also think O'Donnell and Walker looked fine as well. So I go back to what I was preaching earlier. I expect to like the players we've brought in, I expect them to be good in their roles. It just wasn't all necessary.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:59 AM
  #84
rWoHockeyman88
Registered User
 
rWoHockeyman88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
There was no need for Walker when we already signed O'Donnell. Yzerman pulled a fast one, because from what I have seen of Walker he is garbage.
I totally agree with you. After watching 2 preseason games, I am not impressed with any aspect of Matt Walker's game. Jody Shelley can fight for us, so we don't need him for that. He makes poor passes both laterally and out the zone. He pinches too far into the offensive zone at times causing odd man rushes. Also and correct me if I am wrong, he doesn't skate well backwards or pick the open man up when the other team is coming into the zone for a scoring rush.

On another note, was anyone impressed with Boucher last night? I still like him more than Leights. Bob looks like he will be great for us in a year too.

rWoHockeyman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:15 AM
  #85
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rWoHockeyman88 View Post
I totally agree with you. After watching 2 preseason games, I am not impressed with any aspect of Matt Walker's game. Jody Shelley can fight for us, so we don't need him for that. He makes poor passes both laterally and out the zone. He pinches too far into the offensive zone at times causing odd man rushes. Also and correct me if I am wrong, he doesn't skate well backwards or pick the open man up when the other team is coming into the zone for a scoring rush.
Agreed. Forgetting about the salary cap difference between Walker and Bartulis entirely, I still want Bartulis on the ice over Walker. I haven't seen a single thing that has impressed me out of Walker.

When you add in the difference in the cap hit and the breathing room that would be gained by ditching Walker, I really want Bartulis as the 6th/7th defenseman.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:18 AM
  #86
Talbetts
Registered User
 
Talbetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schwenksville?, PA
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
I like Bart too, and I am one that doesnt think Walker is complete garbage. I do think Bartulis is better now and will be MUCH better in the future though.

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:35 AM
  #87
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I don't think his value is quite 'off the charts,' and I do believe 100% that he will get claimed...but the answer to this question is very, very simple.

Ready for it?

Everyone knows we have too many defensemen and need to send someone down. Why on earth would anyone trade us fair value (or anything) on a player they KNOW we have no choice but to move or waive?

Bartulis' trade value is almost nothing because of our situation with him. Teams will salivate at the chance to claim a cheap, serviceable, young depth defensemen on a great contract off the waiver wire.
Homer will trade him to TB for a 7th round pick.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:47 AM
  #88
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
It will even be more comical when Ryan Parent develops into a solid dman in Nashville.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:13 AM
  #89
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,749
vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post
I like Bart too, and I am one that doesnt think Walker is complete garbage. I do think Bartulis is better now and will be MUCH better in the future though.
Walker in his first two games wasn't so bad, but that's going to be life as Matt Walker in this town.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:16 AM
  #90
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Agreed. Forgetting about the salary cap difference between Walker and Bartulis entirely, I still want Bartulis on the ice over Walker. I haven't seen a single thing that has impressed me out of Walker.

When you add in the difference in the cap hit and the breathing room that would be gained by ditching Walker, I really want Bartulis as the 6th/7th defenseman.
Q.F.T.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:16 AM
  #91
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
It will even be more comical when Ryan Parent retires early due to his back and playing too many minutes in Nashville.
FTFY (Fixed that for you)

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:17 AM
  #92
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Homer will trade him to TB for a 7th round pick.
And some scrub player making $1.7 mill for the next 3 years or so, in all likelihood.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:56 AM
  #93
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
FTFY (Fixed that for you)
Unfortunately, you're right. I've heard a few times that he's not likely to ever play a full season due to back problems. It's a damn shame.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:01 AM
  #94
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
It will even be more comical when Ryan Parent develops into a solid dman in Nashville.
Parent if he stays healthy could def be much more effective than Walker. Parent IMO last year was a result of not really having the coach's confidence and Parent losing confidence in himself. Obviously, the back injury played a large part in that but couple it with Lavy not liking him and his time here ran its course unfortunately....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:49 AM
  #95
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Agreed. Forgetting about the salary cap difference between Walker and Bartulis entirely, I still want Bartulis on the ice over Walker. I haven't seen a single thing that has impressed me out of Walker.

When you add in the difference in the cap hit and the breathing room that would be gained by ditching Walker, I really want Bartulis as the 6th/7th defenseman.
Very true.

One thing I disagree with is Walker's ability to really keep things under control in the front of our own net after the whistle. One thing I really like in Bart's play is that, he's doing it well... but one day he'll meet someone that'll drop his mitts and just pound the hell out of him. While Walker can pretty much take one anyone in the league while not getting really embarrassed.

Not saying Oskars' should not keep pushing people away from our goalie but Walker has more authority down there. None of the smaller guys will start pushing him back because he'll **** 'em up.

Though, that's the very only thing Walker can do better than Bartulis, feisty Latvian is wayyy better in all the other areas.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:02 PM
  #96
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Very true.

One thing I disagree with is Walker's ability to really keep things under control in the front of our own net after the whistle. One thing I really like in Bart's play is that, he's doing it well... but one day he'll meet someone that'll drop his mitts and just pound the hell out of him. While Walker can pretty much take one anyone in the league while not getting really embarrassed.

Not saying Oskars' should not keep pushing people away from our goalie but Walker has more authority down there. None of the smaller guys will start pushing him back because he'll **** 'em up.

Though, that's the very only thing Walker can do better than Bartulis, feisty Latvian is wayyy better in all the other areas.
IMO, that's a terrible reason to want Walker on the roster over Bart.

If he's controlling the front of the net between the whistles and clearing guys out, I don't care if there's the off chance somebody might beat him up. What matters to me is how well he plays between the whistles, in which case I think he's as good or better than Walker. And if you factor in the cap hit........


Last edited by infidelappel*: 09-24-2010 at 12:07 PM.
infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:11 PM
  #97
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
IMO, that's a terrible reason to want Walker on the roster over Bart.

If he's controlling the front of the net between the whistles and clearing guys out, I don't care if there's the off chance somebody might beat him up. What matters to me is how well he plays between the whistles, in which case I think he's as good or better than Walker. And if you factor in the cap hit........
I do not want Walker to make the team over Bartulis, not the tiniest chance. Just mentioned the only, the very only aspect where Walker excels over Bartulis.

Yeah, the only aspect being that... Who should we waive and who to hang on?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:09 PM
  #98
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
I do not want Walker to make the team over Bartulis, not the tiniest chance. Just mentioned the only, the very only aspect where Walker excels over Bartulis.

Yeah, the only aspect being that... Who should we waive and who to hang on?
Haha okay, that's fair.

Also, Walker does get badass points for that one time he broke his finger.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:26 PM
  #99
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Unless we sign Guerin, I wouldn't be too surprised if we went into the season with 8 D and had Bartulis covering if we had more than one forward injury/suspension. A 4th line with Shelley and Bartulis as its wingers won't see much ice time however, so guys like Richards, Carter, Giroux would be double shifted quite a lot.

With Pronger, O'Donnell and Timonen up there in age, it might not be too bad having extra cover on d, but I still wouldn't carry 8 dmen personally though.

I hope we won't lose Bartulis to the waiver wire, I really like dmen with the kind of calm demeanor he shows. Even if he'll never be anything more than a third pairing guy at best, at least he has the right kind of cap hit for that.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 04:16 PM
  #100
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
There was no need for Walker when we already signed O'Donnell. Yzerman pulled a fast one, because from what I have seen of Walker he is garbage.
Wrong

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.