HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lars Eller interview

Old
09-24-2010, 12:28 PM
MaynardJames

vCash: 500
Plekanec played 1 or 2 years on left wing and he ain't doing bad at center now, why can't Eller go the same road ?

MaynardJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Saddly , RIS's coverage blows. They can't even show the full game and the play-by-play/color guys blow.
Again, I'd love to bash RDS and RIS but it's solely because the Habs don't want them too. Habs called them last year saying that they were showing too much of the game....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post
Plekanec played 1 or 2 years on left wing and he ain't doing bad at center now, why can't Eller go the same road ?
But but but... he's a center

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I don't want him as a winger. I want him to center our third line!

For the first time since YEARS, we have a big guy at center and we have to put him on the wing...
Eller is there to stay. While the season is not exactly ideal to make some tests, it will be like that anyway especially for teams battling for a playoff spot. I'd like to see him as a center obviously, but making him at ease at every position can't be bad as well. Though, despite me wanting that big centerman for a long time, I am amongst the few who believes Eller might be a winger with us seeing that I'm more enclined of having a better top 6 forward than a 3rd line composed of a big centerman. He's not big, but if the ideal is to have a scoring forward centering the 3rd line, I still have hopes that Boyd regains his confidence and starts racking some points. You'd then have the best of both worlds.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:46 PM
rangersfan111

he should not play as a bottom 6 forward ... the guy is ready for the nhl and should be on the 1st or second line with plekanec or gomez centering him ... i think he would work better with plekanec and cammalleri because the guy is an unreal passer and has unbelievable vision ... the fact that you guys want him as a 3rd line player is upsetting and wierd.... third line centers are a dime a dozen, you can go pick one up via free agency such as brendan morrisson or even pavol demitra ... eller needs to play with great players in order to reach his potential ... by playing him on the third line you are holding him back

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Mr Rogers

While we're talking about seeing Eller for the first time and all.
Does anyone know if the new player height/weight information taken during the physical tests was revealed somewhere?

I'd like to know what size he's at now plus other players aswell.
(also wondering how much Kostitsyn bulked up)

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post
he should not play as a bottom 6 forward ... the guy is ready for the nhl and should be on the 1st or second line with plekanec or gomez centering him ... i think he would work better with plekanec and cammalleri because the guy is an unreal passer and has unbelievable vision ... the fact that you guys want him as a 3rd line player is upsetting and wierd.... third line centers are a dime a dozen, you can go pick one up via free agency such as brendan morrisson or even pavol demitra ... eller needs to play with great players in order to reach his potential ... by playing him on the third line you are holding him back
I want eller to play in an offensive role but lets see what he can do with Lapierre and Boyd. All three are gritty, two way players.

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:50 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Bingo, and it honestly took a Rangers fan to bring some sense to this thread? Unreal... (and I don't mean it as a sleight against Rangers or their fans, I mean it as a sleight against many of those of our own fan base who are crying over Eller not being our 3rd line C)

Especially being that it's a preseason game anyways. Wait till preseason is over and all the players have undergone their evaluations and the lines are set before you cry.

Heck I know this is a very scary thing to say around here, but god forbid maybe even giving 20 games into the season before crying about where Eller is put.

Again (like I've said in thread upon thread) I'm pretty sure the coaching staff know a lot more than we do and are going to do what's in the best interest of the team and Eller, if they choose to make him the 3rd line C then I'm behind them, if they choose to make him a top 6 winger I'm still behind them. They know better than we do what the best decision for the team and Eller is not us.

People quickly forget about how we've got Gill, Gomez, Gionta, Moen, all guys with Stanley Cup rings. Spacek and others with cup experience, and above all else Kirk Muller behind the bench who has experience as a player in 93. People need to relax, our players, our management and coaching weren't all born yesterday. They are people who know what it takes to win.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Sounds all good but Eller is a center first and foremost and the only spot available at that position would be on the 3rd line. If the mission of the 3rd line remains the same this season, i.e. a checking line, then Eller would be better off playing next to Gomez and Gionta. I thought Pyatt-Moore-Lapierre was the perfect checking line but if Eller were to play center, a guy like Dustin Boyd might become more productive.

Eller with G&G and a 3rd line of Pyatt-Boyd-Lapierre should be good enough but that means Pouliot would become useless.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:21 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

It should also be noted that since Eller was the prime piece back for Halak, there might be a little pressure on Gautier to make sure he produces. Putting him on one of the top 2 lines gives him a much better chance of having 50 points or so...

Also with Leblanc a year or 2 away, someone will have to move to wing. Why not Eller? Isn't he the most logical option between leblanc, he, and gomez and pleks?

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

My opinion is that Eller will see time both at center and on the wing, since he is more accustomed at center, they want to have a look at him with guys like Gio and Gomez while sending a clear message to Pouliot who has to step up based on last year's finish plus early camp.

We are in a much better situation than last year having added Eller Boyd and Halpern, all 3 can play center and wing and help the depth up front.

I think the 4th line will be Pyatt-Halpern-Moen as a shutdown line and the 3rd should be a combination of Eller-Boyd-Pouliot-Lapierre-AK depending on which player(s) step up to take the spots on the top 2 lines. Regardless our 3rd line whould contribute 10-20 more goals than it did last year, especially if our top 4(Gomez Gio Cammy and Pleks) can stay healthy.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
It should also be noted that since Eller was the prime piece back for Halak, there might be a little pressure on Gautier to make sure he produces. Putting him on one of the top 2 lines gives him a much better chance of having 50 points or so...

Also with Leblanc a year or 2 away, someone will have to move to wing. Why not Eller? Isn't he the most logical option between leblanc, he, and gomez and pleks?
If any of those 4 moves to wing full time IMHO LeBlanc is the most likely candidate due to his tenacious Morrow/D.Brown style forechecking game. I think Eller will get looks at both center and wing in camp and also during the season depending on need.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Again, I'd love to bash RDS and RIS but it's solely because the Habs don't want them too. Habs called them last year saying that they were showing too much of the game....
maybe the Harbs charge to much for pre-season game? I don't understand why a bussiness don't want to make money

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I hope he does well,could be a perfect winger for those 2

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:48 PM
la25ecoupe

Can't wait to see how they'll pronounce his name when he scores..

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars Elllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllll-er! (dies)

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:04 PM
bpoulsen

Send a message via ICQ to bpoulsen
Quote:
I always try to bring a physical edge to my game,” pointed out the 6-foot-2 winger. “But that has nothing to do with the fact that I’m playing with two smaller guys. I’ll always lay down a hit whenever the chance presents itself
Now I just want to let you guys know that in his first NHL game, which was against the Flyers he went after Pronger twice which surely didn't suit the big defender. So Lars has no problems mixing it up.

bpoulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoulsen View Post
Now I just want to let you guys know that in his first NHL game, which was against the Flyers he went after Pronger twice which surely didn't suit the big defender. So Lars has no problems mixing it up.
Thanks for the Intel

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoulsen View Post
That's great to hear cause there aren't many forwards on this team that would go after Pronger

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
All i keep thinking is, if a "not as hard" worker like benny pouliot could score 17 goals in 39 games alongside the two workhorses of gomez-gionta, i cant even imagine what a hard worker like lars eller could do with them, i dont want 2 goals 1 assist or whatever from lars tonight , i just want to hear that he played well and had/or created loads of scoring chances, and could definately be a potential top 6 winger for us this season.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 05:50 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard4u2win View Post
I want eller to play in an offensive role but lets see what he can do with Lapierre and Boyd. All three are gritty, two way players.
agreed i think thats the third line to start the season

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Quote:
“Of course I’ll be nervous,”
Bust.

He is way too over-hyped but I'm getting more and more excited to see him tonight, I must say.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
It still going to be his first NHL season, his second NA pro one. I fully agree his potential makes him a more attractive top-6 than bottom-6, we're just talking about 1 season here. Yes, he needs to play with offensively-minded player, but the habs may (may) have the depth to pull that off on their third line.

In practice, I bet he's end up rotating with Pouliot and Kostitsyn depending of how he handles the load and how our two lame ducks will perform. Next year both guys are RFA.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
All i keep thinking is, if a "not as hard" worker like benny pouliot could score 17 goals in 39 games alongside the two workhorses of gomez-gionta, i cant even imagine what a hard worker like lars eller could do with them, i dont want 2 goals 1 assist or whatever from lars tonight , i just want to hear that he played well and had/or created loads of scoring chances, and could definately be a potential top 6 winger for us this season.
Well, I want the 2g 1a. And if he doesn't, bust.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote