HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky baptism of fire, give it to him Now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-24-2010, 11:29 AM
  #76
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Andrew Knoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
This cat ain't no ordinary ROOKIE, Anybody that knows anything about hockey goal tending can see that this cat has the right stuff period !I have watched a few more videos of him from over in Russia etc and its obvious he has the right skill set to be an excellent net minder in the NHL.I say throw him to the wolves and give him a legit shot, if he faulters he can then use the AHL to get his game in tun.
His lateral movement is quick and precise, beautiful balance, glove hand is always up and open [ not laying on his hip], and he is very quick in every way an NHL goalie needs to be quick.I will betcha Mr Reese is giddy getting to work with this Gem ! I live in Northwest Fla and have not got to see any of the pre season or rookie camp games, But i hope he gets a fair shot to show his skills and maybe he can earn a spot in the big show this season. I say throw him to the wolves and give em a shot, he is not your typical ROOKIE from the OHL or ECHL etc, Not by a longshot !I like this cat !
Holmgren out, you in, anyone who can make a strong suggestion with absolutely no basis surely is the one who should be making the decisions here.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:32 AM
  #77
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
We have seen two periods of Leighton, two periods of Boucher and two periods + two OTs + two shootouts from Bobrovsky now.

From what I've seen it's: Bob > Boosh >>> Leights.


And THE scenario comes into my mind AGAIN, so: send Walker + Leighton/Boosh away and acquire Theodore at 1-2mil for one year. Let Bobo mature a bit in the AHL aaaaaaand we'll have our franchise starter from 2011-12 on.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:36 AM
  #78
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
We have seen two periods of Leighton, two periods of Boucher and two periods + two OTs + two shootouts from Bobrovsky now.

From what I've seen it's: Bob > Boosh >>> Leights.


And THE scenario comes into my mind AGAIN, so: send Walker + Leighton/Boosh away and acquire Theodore at 1-2mil for one year. Let Bobo mature a bit in the AHL aaaaaaand we'll have our franchise starter from 2011-12 on.
I want no part of Theodore.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:43 AM
  #79
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,079
vCash: 500
Barring injury to Leighton and/or Boucher, there should be no reason to keep Bobrovsky with the big club. As others have said, he hasn't been exposed to the NA game style. As well, if he absolutely lights it up in the AHL, the odds of one of Leighton or Boucher going down with an injury during the season, to me, are slim to none. The chance will be there for #3 in the depth chart, and if Bob lays claim to it, then so be it. Until then, he ain't the second coming of my namesake until he puts up the numbers.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:52 AM
  #80
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Barring injury to Leighton and/or Boucher, there should be no reason to keep Bobrovsky with the big club. As others have said, he hasn't been exposed to the NA game style. As well, if he absolutely lights it up in the AHL, the odds of one of Leighton or Boucher going down with an injury during the season, to me, are slim to none. The chance will be there for #3 in the depth chart, and if Bob lays claim to it, then so be it. Until then, he ain't the second coming of my namesake until he puts up the numbers.
If anyone is expecting him to be the second coming of your namesake, they need to get real.

Kid's good, but I don't know if he's that good...we all need to pump the brakes htere.

Even if Boosh or Leighton go down with an injury, as long as whoever's left is playing well then I'd advocate calling Backlund up to be the backup. If something happens from there, then maybe you call up BoboCop....but the only way this kid should be called up is if something terrible happens that warrants him starting. I still maintain that having him as a backup is a complete waste.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:57 AM
  #81
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I want no part of Theodore.
No wonder. Theo joining the team would send your mancrush packing or atleast to sit on the bench.


edit: Don't get me wrong. I do NOT want Bob to start no more than 10 NHL at the absolute max during this season, he gotta adjust his game to the NA-style down in the AHL. Backlund should be the call-up in case of injuries.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:02 PM
  #82
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
No wonder. Theo joining the team would send your mancrush packing or atleast to sit on the bench.


edit: Don't get me wrong. I do NOT want Bob to start no more than 10 NHL at the absolute max during this season, he gotta adjust his game to the NA-style down in the AHL. Backlund should be the call-up in case of injuries.
I'm sorry, who is my mancrush?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:14 PM
  #83
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
It seems like it's your vocation to put down all the Bobrovsky fires and keep reminding how far Leighton got us in the playoffs last season.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:25 PM
  #84
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
It seems like it's your vocation to put down all the Bobrovsky fires and keep reminding how far Leighton got us in the playoffs last season.
...
....
.....

When have I even talked about Leighton in this thread?

Have you ever read anything I've written around here? I ALWAYS hate on Leighton.

I just want no parts of Theodore.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:28 PM
  #85
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
It seems like it's your vocation to put down all the Bobrovsky fires and keep reminding how far Leighton got us in the playoffs last season.
infidelappel can't stand Leighton. He's also a very big Bobro fan...he's merely trying to set realistic expectations.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
  #86
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Okey my bad then. Plenty of Leighton-lovers in this thread and saw that one post of yours and instantly assumed you were one of 'em without double-checking earlier writings.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
  #87
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Okey my bad then. Plenty of Leighton-lovers in this thread and saw that one post of yours and instantly assumed you were one of 'em without double-checking earlier writings.
Haha it's cool. I am definitely very, very far from a Leighton fan.

And I love BoboCop. I just think people are getting wayyyyy too high on him way too quickly, and don't think he's quite ready yet. Next year I think the job will be his to fight for, but this year he just needs to adapt and the expectations on this team are too high to throw an untested rookie into it, IMO.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
  #88
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
...
....
.....

When have I even talked about Leighton in this thread?

Have you ever read anything I've written around here? I ALWAYS hate on Leighton.

I just want no parts of Theodore.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=410

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:45 PM
  #89
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
With 8 preseason games I really do not see why Brovski can't start at least 2 games, and I think he should. Do Leighton and Boosh REALLY need an extra preseason game to warm up for sucking all season?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
  #90
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
lol nice find!

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:51 PM
  #91
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
With 8 preseason games I really do not see why Brovski can't start at least 2 games, and I think he should. Do Leighton and Boosh REALLY need an extra preseason game to warm up for sucking all season?
Practice can't hurt, right?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:56 PM
  #92
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Hahaha thanks, that about sums it up.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:57 PM
  #93
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Practice can't hurt, right?
Actually, since practice makes perfect, if they practice and suck, they are technically practicing sucking and will, thus, become perfect at sucking.

Logic is our enemy!

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:18 PM
  #94
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
lol nice find!
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Hahaha thanks, that about sums it up.
Just about everyone commented in that thread. I figured he was in there.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
  #95
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Just about everyone commented in that thread. I figured he was in there.
Yeah, I guess it was bound to be in there somewhere.

I just didn't realize I'd ever made a post that so aptly sums up my thoughts on Leights, haha.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:46 PM
  #96
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i stopped reading and discounted all your other posts after this.
That is just plain silly on your part my friend, Been a Flyers fan since 1967, grew up there etc.I played Goalie for years, and have also watched and played hockey over in Europe during my 20 years in the military [USAF].I know enough about goal tending to know a good goalie when i see one, and after watching a few tapes of this cat i can see he has tremendous fundamentals and great net presence etc that your typical MINORS rookie don't have.
My original post simply says to give this cat a legit shot to make our club.He may very well prove not to be ready and indeed may need to go to the AHL affiliate, BUT i like what i have seen of him,and his lateral motion alone is SUPERIOR to anyone we have in my opinion.I do not dislike Leighton, or Boosh etc, but i see things in this cat that i think warrant he getting a GOOD THOROUGH look during pre season.Again, forget about the ROOKIE status and enough of that " he needs to get use to the NHL players and game etc " nonsense.....They might need to get use to him and his game and figure him out ! Ever think about it that way ? I can see exactly why he is here,and i can see what the upper management see in him by just watching the videos i have looked at....I like him !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:53 PM
  #97
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
That is just plain silly on your part my friend, Been a Flyers fan since 1967, grew up there etc.I played Goalie for years, and have also watched and played hockey over in Europe during my 20 years in the military [USAF].I know enough about goal tending to know a good goalie when i see one, and after watching a few tapes of this cat i can see he has tremendous fundamentals and great net presence etc that your typical MINORS rookie don't have.
My original post simply says to give this cat a legit shot to make our club.He may very well prove not to be ready and indeed may need to go to the AHL affiliate, BUT i like what i have seen of him,and his lateral motion alone is SUPERIOR to anyone we have in my opinion.I do not dislike Leighton, or Boosh etc, but i see things in this cat that i think warrant he getting a GOOD THOROUGH look during pre season.Again, forget about the ROOKIE status and enough of that " he needs to get use to the NHL players and game etc " nonsense.....They might need to get use to him and his game and figure him out ! Ever think about it that way ? I can see exactly why he is here,and i can see what the upper management see in him by just watching the videos i have looked at....I like him !
Dude, we all like him.

We're not saying he needs time to adjust to the NHL players and game just for the sake of saying it or nitpicking. We're saying it because he's demonstrated a few things that are giving him problems now and most definitely will in a regular season setting. And according to Jeff Reese, it's something they're definitely seeing in practice too.

We all also want to see more of him in preseason, but the fact of the matter is that making the team isn't necessarily in his best interest right now. We'll see as camp progresses, but right now he needs to learn when to play big. Fluid and speedy lateral motion alone isn't enough. It's a huge asset that nobody else on our depth chart has, but it's not the only part of goaltending. I've been a goalie for years, too, and as an experienced 'tender surely you have to acknowledge that lateral motion is huge, but playing big - especially in traffic (which is huge in the NHL) - is equally if not more important.

Lateral motion helps you when you're out of position or tracking a quick play side-side. Being big and keeping your hands in the right spot helps you when the shot's coming straight on, which is more common. BoboCop is listed at 6'2", but he has that super low stance that makes him smaller in the net than he really is. He's going to have to adjust his game to make sure that he either a) plays bigger, or b) learns to keep his hands up to compensate.

He definitely has the talent and attitude to be a very good goalie in this league, but I really think you're overrating his readiness.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:17 PM
  #98
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Dude, we all like him.

We're not saying he needs time to adjust to the NHL players and game just for the sake of saying it or nitpicking. We're saying it because he's demonstrated a few things that are giving him problems now and most definitely will in a regular season setting. And according to Jeff Reese, it's something they're definitely seeing in practice too.

We all also want to see more of him in preseason, but the fact of the matter is that making the team isn't necessarily in his best interest right now. We'll see as camp progresses, but right now he needs to learn when to play big. Fluid and speedy lateral motion alone isn't enough. It's a huge asset that nobody else on our depth chart has, but it's not the only part of goaltending. I've been a goalie for years, too, and as an experienced 'tender surely you have to acknowledge that lateral motion is huge, but playing big - especially in traffic (which is huge in the NHL) - is equally if not more important.

Lateral motion helps you when you're out of position or tracking a quick play side-side. Being big and keeping your hands in the right spot helps you when the shot's coming straight on, which is more common. BoboCop is listed at 6'2", but he has that super low stance that makes him smaller in the net than he really is. He's going to have to adjust his game to make sure that he either a) plays bigger, or b) learns to keep his hands up to compensate.

He definitely has the talent and attitude to be a very good goalie in this league, but I really think you're overrating his readiness.
Fair enough ! I respect your post and you make a a few solid points.Personally i would like to see him get his legit shot to see if he is ready ? I am not overrating his readiness, i am saying give him the keys to the car and let him drive it a little farther than you would let your avg rookie so we can see if he is ready, or if he needs to go to the AHL.....Sometimes you get one of them cats that is real special and you don't want to clip his wings like you do with others that come along through the system, sometimes you get one that you just need to let em have a go at it, no safety net required, that can kill their spirit in a way...As you know goal tending is a very precise skill in some ways and in other ways its completely chaotic and unscripted.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:29 PM
  #99
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Fair enough ! I respect your post and you make a a few solid points.Personally i would like to see him get his legit shot to see if he is ready ? I am not overrating his readiness, i am saying give him the keys to the car and let him drive it a little farther than you would let your avg rookie so we can see if he is ready, or if he needs to go to the AHL.....Sometimes you get one of them cats that is real special and you don't want to clip his wings like you do with others that come along through the system, sometimes you get one that you just need to let em have a go at it, no safety net required, that can kill their spirit in a way...As you know goal tending is a very precise skill in some ways and in other ways its completely chaotic and unscripted.
Well sure, everybody's different and all...but I think, from what I've seen of BoboCop (little bits of him in the KHL and obviously preseason so far), he's not quite ready.

Obviously they'll play him more throughout preseason and I hope they give him more of a game, rather than just the end. But it would have to take a combination of him being purely dominant (which I don't think is the case), and both Leighton and Boucher displaying weakness that makes them look questionable as starters.

I mean, if he plays a full preseason game at the end of camp and posts a 30+ save shutout or something while playing a technically perfect game, then I dunno, maybe. But there's no reason to rush him. Let him start off in the AHL and if he establishes dominance there and we could use him, go ahead and call him up to start. But even a dominant training camp doesn't necessarily prove anything.

Also, earlier in this thread you talked about not catering to the mentally weak. I'd say if getting sent down to the AHL cripples his confidence, that's more a sign of mental weakness than someone getting shaken from being rushed into the NHL too early.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 09:29 AM
  #100
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I just got a chance to watch this guy for the first time last night. . . he's a hot mess. You can tell he hasn't really been coached much. Talented obviously, but I agree with appel, that there is a lot to fix in his game.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.