HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Youngest Ranger Team Since?

Old
09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Youngest Ranger Team Since?

Just looking over the roster and am somewhat astounded to see that the Rangers only have 6 players age 30 and over -- Avery, Redden, Rozsival, Prospal, White and Drury -- and at least 1-2 of that group will be gone by opening day. I remember all too well rosters that had the exact opposite skew of over and under 30s. I have to give Sather credit...this is the young core that he has talked so much about building and letting grow together. Now it's show time. If these guys grow, develop and mature, I am getting very excited that this season will be a lot of fun and the Rangers can be the surprise team in the east.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

In a couple of years, it will likely be only Lundqvist and Gabby who are 30+. Unless we sign someone just for experience, that team will be very young, and very good.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:14 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I feel like we see this thread right before every season.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Which is a testimonial to Sather and the OP's point. The team keeps getting younger.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:05 PM
DrZoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
In a couple of years, it will likely be only Lundqvist and Gabby who are 30+. Unless we sign someone just for experience, that team will be very young, and very good.
That's depending on how Frolov fits in. I can definitely see him in the long term plans if he plays well enough.

There's also the possibility of signing Drury for much, much less when his contract ends as the veteran leader. He's very good for that role.

That's all I can see though.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:23 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Every year we sign some older vet out of no where, so for those of you saying Gaborik and Lundqvist will be the only ones in a few years, there's no way that's happening. The vast majority of our prospects won't pan out (we do have like 50 or something, so if 10 become bonafide NHLers, that's a success), and while we will be restocking the cupboard with draft picks, veteran leadership is very important.

I know that on this site prospects are worth more than the Stanley Cup itself, but if this team does develop into something special, which we're all hoping for down the road, we will DEFINITELY need some veteran presence for a cup run. Hopefully guys like MZA, Grachev, Stepan, Werek, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan, MCD, Staal, Gilroy, Kreider, MDZ and a few other youngsters (perhaps some yet to be drafted) will have long, successful Ranger careers, and hopefully they are supplemented with some key vets for a run in the next few years.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:31 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
Every year we sign some older vet out of no where, so for those of you saying Gaborik and Lundqvist will be the only ones in a few years, there's no way that's happening. The vast majority of our prospects won't pan out (we do have like 50 or something, so if 10 become bonafide NHLers, that's a success), and while we will be restocking the cupboard with draft picks, veteran leadership is very important.

I know that on this site prospects are worth more than the Stanley Cup itself, but if this team does develop into something special, which we're all hoping for down the road, we will DEFINITELY need some veteran presence for a cup run. Hopefully guys like MZA, Grachev, Stepan, Werek, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan, MCD, Staal, Gilroy, Kreider, MDZ and a few other youngsters (perhaps some yet to be drafted) will have long, successful Ranger careers, and hopefully they are supplemented with some key vets for a run in the next few years.

I think the hype is that guys like Staal, Girardi and Callahan can be that veteran leadership when the time comes for it.

If we really need a vet, we can find one.

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Which is legit this time. They ARE getting younger.

They're on the right track. Add a couple of high end prospects every year.
Last year was Anisimov and MDZ. This year Stepan and McD. Next year Kreider and Werek or whomever.

I don't mind a big name. As long as it's the right player because the core will be in place already.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:50 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Rangers have been much better with young guys since the lockout. Every year they add 2-4 young players either full time or part time.

The teams in the late 80s/early 90s had a lot of youth starting in 1988 with Leetch, Janssens, Turcotte, Granato, etc. and going up until like 95 with Sundstrom, LaPeirre, Norstrom, etc.

We all know the rest.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Just looking over the roster and am somewhat astounded to see that the Rangers only have 6 players age 30 and over -- Avery, Redden, Rozsival, Prospal, White and Drury -- and at least 1-2 of that group will be gone by opening day. I remember all too well rosters that had the exact opposite skew of over and under 30s. I have to give Sather credit...this is the young core that he has talked so much about building and letting grow together. Now it's show time. If these guys grow, develop and mature, I am getting very excited that this season will be a lot of fun and the Rangers can be the surprise team in the east.
say bye bye to Redden and in two yrs Drury and Rozy are walking. Rozy could be moved befofre then.

White likely going down or gone next yr anyways. Prospal is also out for some youth next yr

i'm all for the youth. We have good prospects now play them

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:35 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Now 5 players under 30...and counting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Rangers have been much better with young guys since the lockout. Every year they add 2-4 young players either full time or part time.

The teams in the late 80s/early 90s had a lot of youth starting in 1988 with Leetch, Janssens, Turcotte, Granato, etc. and going up until like 95 with Sundstrom, LaPeirre, Norstrom, etc.

We all know the rest.
Youth movement in late 1980s was going fine and then Neil Smith traded Tomas Sandstrom, Tony Granato and Ulf Dahlen away. Albeit he did bring back Mike Gartner and Bernie Nichols (who was flipped for Messier) but we agree that this is a different management mentaility. I think. (I hope.)

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:08 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:

Youth movement in late 1980s was going fine and then Neil Smith traded Tomas Sandstrom, Tony Granato and Ulf Dahlen away. Albeit he did bring back Mike Gartner and Bernie Nichols (who was flipped for Messier) but we agree that this is a different management mentaility. I think. (I hope.)
we also had Mike Ridley, Kelly Miller, James Patrick, Beezer, and Jan Erixon was still pretty young back then.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:11 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
we also had Mike Ridley, Kelly Miller, James Patrick, Beezer, and Jan Erixon was still pretty young back then.

Miller and Ridley were gone by the team Granato came aboard.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Will the team be under 26 this season? It was just over 26 at the start of the last couple of years.

Old
09-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I'm actually loving the look of the team now, obviously since Redden is gone and I'm pretty sure our prospects McD and Valentenko is taking his place and maybe Gilroy's place. Prospal's definitley gone after this season... It's shaping up.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:04 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Miller and Ridley were gone by the team Granato came aboard.
they overlapped with Sandstrom though. And if you are going that late in the eighties you might as well add Leetch and Richter in there.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
I'm actually loving the look of the team now, obviously since Redden is gone and I'm pretty sure our prospects McD and Valentenko is taking his place and maybe Gilroy's place. Prospal's definitley gone after this season... It's shaping up.

I would let Gilroy play it out until the All-Star break. Let's see how it goes. The guy has talent, and he deserves more than his rookie season before we sour on him for good.

Old
09-25-2010, 05:34 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:

Smith did get rid of a lot of young players but he also brought in Weight and the four Russians (Kovalev, Zubov, Nemchinov, Karpotsev) the later four of which were key parts to winning the Cup.

Letting Guy LaFleur go and using the compensation pick on Zubov alone is arguably the most important acquisition made in the team's history up to this point.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote