HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

New flagship station 1029 the buzz

Old
09-22-2010, 06:44 PM
nine_inch_fang

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Hell it's all they are talking about on 102.9 now. Since they announced it they've mentioned the Preds coming in and out of every commercial break......that my friend is priceless advertising.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
jcupp

Exactly, but at least you had a chance to hear something about hockey. Do you think 102.9 will be better?

Edit: this is a reply to Killer.

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:59 PM
jcupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Hell it's all they are talking about on 102.9 now. Since they announced it they've mentioned the Preds coming in and out of every commercial break......that my friend is priceless advertising.
Yeah, I've been listening today too. I hope they will have some 15-30 second, maybe longer, interviews with players that will play a couple times a day.

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:10 PM
nine_inch_fang

Ziggz, the afternoon guy, does interviews a lot so i'm sure that's very possible. They're all over facebook and twitter make a suggestion or two i'm sure they'll do anything that is that easy to help get extra listeners during the broadcasts.

Old
09-22-2010, 08:15 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Guys, let's face it. When the Zone had just Vandy and the Preds to broadcast, they STILL talked more about what the majority of their listeners wanted to hear:

1) Titans/pro football
2) College sports
3) MLB
4) Predators, basically when something happened, or all the other sports had played out.

Since the Titans came over and they announced the UT deal, they have hardly mentioned the Preds at all. Covering UT during basketball season would have left no airtime during the stretch run when NHL coverage DOES get interesting for the casual fan. The Zone was just a bad fit now.

As I said earlier in the thread, if you were the new mgmt team, how can you sit back and watch as you are bumped down to the lowest possible level OF coverage on that station? That is a 'lose-lose' situation'. WNSR (especially Thom Abraham) does cover the team alot. Unfortunately they have non-existent coverage after dark, so you can't go with them for broadcasts. I am not a fan of the station's format but it goes on my car preset now.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:57 PM
roseyc

I think that they needed their own station but I don't think the buzz is the best alternative. 105.9 the Rock would have been better not because it's a better station but I can get that one and I can't get the Buzz. Not just because of that but The Rock is more established. But just like Vandy the Preds are a city team mostly. A city team can't support a major league franchise unless it's a major city. Nashville is Titans and Vols. Vandy would push the Vols but they are bad so beside the faculty and former alumni nobody cares until basketball season. If they were to become winners they would pass the Vols but they won't consistantly. The Preds just need to go deep in the playoffs and then once the city is capture by the national attention then they'll jump on board. Did I mention Nashville is a front runner. Most sports towns are unless they enjoy sucess and then it takes on it's own identity.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 06:04 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'm not sure how The Rock is more established. Both stations are popular, but the Buzz does have its own annual concert. That doesn't even include the several unplugged shows they put on throughout the year and other events they sponsor or bring in. They have a pretty firm foothold in Nashville. I like The Rock better because it's less likely that I'll hear a string of awful songs, but their demographic isn't exactly the best to target. They have the football/NASCAR crowd. The Buzz has a younger crowd, which I think will benefit the Predators more. I think it's a good move in theory, but I'll remain skeptical until I hear a couple of broadcasts.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:22 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
they hardly ever talked hockey except for when Terry came on & an hour before the game came on ... no one GAF in this town, particularly in the sports media, with possibly the lone exception of Thom Abraham ... I mean honest to god, how many days in a row can you talk about football ?????
If previous years have proved anything, I think the answer is 365.

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:57 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

What 1045 the Zone does for the Preds.....

What 1029 the buzz can do for the Preds.....

&

&

&

&

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
What 1045 the Zone does for the Preds.....

What 1029 the buzz can do for the Preds.....

&

&

&

&

thank you for the in-depth analysis ... that's awesome

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:34 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
thank you for the in-depth analysis ... that's awesome
Can't take credit. The first maps were on NP.com, found them and got the maps for the repeaters in Alabama.

Old
09-23-2010, 02:14 PM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Can't take credit. The first maps were on NP.com, found them and got the maps for the repeaters in Alabama.
Does that bottom map say there's a repeater in Decatur, AL, on an AM station? I'm going to have to go scan the AM stations now, lol...

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:17 PM
kivaerijo

i decided to listen to 102.9 the last few days, and all was good...until i drove by baptist hospital last night before my hockey game. i have never had a station go out on me in the city. for about 3 blocks, i got nothing but static. dont know if that is a good thing. hope i can get it at my house for those games that are not televised

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:20 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
Does that bottom map say there's a repeater in Decatur, AL, on an AM station? I'm going to have to go scan the AM stations now, lol...
Yup.

Old
09-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
Once you find it, please post it so I can program it in for my trips to Athens.

As an aside, I heard some hockey talk on 104.5 sometime this week. I can't tell you how much it was, since I only got to listen briefly, but it was definitely that station.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:33 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Once you find it, please post it so I can program it in for my trips to Athens.

As an aside, I heard some hockey talk on 104.5 sometime this week. I can't tell you how much it was, since I only got to listen briefly, but it was definitely that station.
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

102.9FM in Nashville
98.1FM in Capshaw, Alabama
92.9FM in Florence, Alabama
100.7FM in Maysville, Alabama
94.7FM in Trinity, Alabama

Old
09-23-2010, 04:40 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
i decided to listen to 102.9 the last few days, and all was good...until i drove by baptist hospital last night before my hockey game. i have never had a station go out on me in the city. for about 3 blocks, i got nothing but static. dont know if that is a good thing. hope i can get it at my house for those games that are not televised
I noticed that the other day going past baptist on church street. I didn't get static thou, I heard some kind of signal that baptist was broadcasting.

Old
09-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
That's been an issue since I moved to Nashville in 2004. It's weird, it doesn't knock out XM or other stations...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 05:17 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
That's been an issue since I moved to Nashville in 2004. It's weird, it doesn't knock out XM or other stations...
It's a matter of direction. Because of the tower's lower sea level tall buildings and such might block out the signal. Whereas XM is satellite radio and the signal comes straight down. Think sunlight. If it's noon sunlight is everywhere but when the sun is setting the light is hitting buildings and creating shadows.

Old
09-23-2010, 08:41 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
It's a matter of direction. Because of the tower's lower sea level tall buildings and such might block out the signal. Whereas XM is satellite radio and the signal comes straight down. Think sunlight. If it's noon sunlight is everywhere but when the sun is setting the light is hitting buildings and creating shadows.
Nah, that signal goes a lot farther than you think and is strong in Nashville. I would bet a paycheck that baptist is broadcasting something right on/next to that frequency that interrupts the signal.

Btw, I was listening to them on the way to wisconsin this summer and got good signal until about 45 miles outside of Louisville.

Old
09-24-2010, 01:30 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
When listening to the radio I only stray away from 102.9 during commercials, for the most part. Hockey and rock fans go hand and hand it's a great move. Not to mention you can pick up the buzz almost all the way to Louisville. Now I can permanently remove 104.5 from my presets.......WOOOOOOOOOO ****ING WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Good move if it means all games will be on one station, and rock/hockey is a good connection so if they do some cool promotions and tap into the 102.9 market to help build the fan-base then it's also good.
I agree with these two! Rock music and hockey DO go together very well. Hockey is just a rock kind of sport. I, too, rarely stray from the Buzz if I'm listening to the radio. But I digress. This switch will take some getting used to - the Buzz is a music station whereas the Zone was a sports station, so I wonder if music fans will be pissed that the Buzz airs the hockey games all the time. How does this affect them as a music station? As for losing Willy, that
kind of sucks but it's not too bad. I'm sure they can find a good replacement. Overall, this is a good move. We'll get better coverage of the games than slotted third.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Willy Daunic will remain as the host for the pre and post game shows for all Predators games.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Adz

Quote:
I noticed that the other day going past baptist on church street. I didn't get static thou, I heard some kind of signal that baptist was broadcasting.
My coworker was telling me this morning that he can't pick 102.9 anywhere around his place in Bellevue. Wonder if something is near there that blocks the signal, as well.

Oh, yes, thanks for the radio station numbers, BFC.

Last edited by Adz: 09-24-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Manners
Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:29 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
Willy Daunic will remain as the host for the pre and post game shows for all Predators games.
Do you know if the crew for the shows will be the same? Kirby? Jacob? They're employed by the Zone, I'm assuming.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:54 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
I was cool with the station switch before. Now I just love it. Good to hear Daunic is hanging around.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote