HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carolina @ Nashville 9/23/10 7:00CST Endorsed by.....everyone!

Old
09-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
The ice was absolutely terrible tonight; made it hard to evaluate alot of guys.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:30 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

I went in just wanting to see hockey. And, in that regard, I had a blast. It was good to get back into my seat again, grab a burger from Fire and Ice, and get a fist bump from the guy in the pajama pants.

Saturday I'll start being more critical. Tonight was about satisfying an addiction and boy did it feel good.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:00 PM
token grinder

my quick thoughts...

blum and sulzer looked good together. and someone said early in the summer this could be the third pair if they could get the pieces right. blum looked really good, smooth skating and passing, including a great on eon the last power play that someone blew.

parent looked good too. these three seperated themselves from the other three in this game. ellis looked ok, but you could tell he has a ways to go still in regards to decision making and seperating man from puck. laakso wasn't very good. bad penalty, bad decision making. couldn't clear the puck to save his life. did throw the body well, will give him that

franson-awful tonight. broken stickes, loafing, guy looked like he was told he had a spot. might have been the worst d-man tonight. i have found my new whipping boy.

geoffrion was fun to watch. i thought he was pretty good tonight. won faceoffs, handles playing against staal pretty well. outside of the 3 vets, may have been the best forward out there

sk, andersson, and o'reilly were invisible. dumont, goc, and hornquist were ok. dumont was busting his arse tonight. wilson, beck clearly don't belong at this point and spaling, and thuresson confirmed they are stopgap guys. had a chance to shine tonight and didn't carry the mail. tootoo was tootoo.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:10 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The ice was absolutely terrible tonight; made it hard to evaluate alot of guys.
agreed, but i'll throw out a few grain-of-salt observations:

Ellis: Clearly outclassed playing against real competition. Seemed to be the biggest victim of bad ice, but overall looked like a 19 year old out there. Wish he could go to Milwaukee...the potential is there, but he's clearly not ready yet.

Blum: I keep trying to spot the source of all the hype, but this was yet another underwhelming showing for me. Good first pass, good skater--looked weak along the boards and seemed to get outmuscled in the corners and behind the goalie. Think he needs another year to get stronger.

Cal O'Reilly- don't let the door hit you on the way out, Cal.

Sulzer looked alright...nothing to get down on or excited about. Same with Andersson, who I had been looking forward to seeing. Just felt like I was watching Vernon Fiddler or Jerred Smithson out there. Maybe I'll come away more impressed when he has decent linemates.

Parent was a pleasant surprise. Easily our best defenseman, and made several plays that I often found myself wishing Hamhuis would make. This made up somewhat for...

FRANSON- He looked as shaky as he did in his first training camp. I don't fault him the broken stick that lead to the O'Sullivan breakaway(though I would have preferred he not gone out of his way to get a fresh stick from the bench as the play was moving up-ice) but in general he had a rotten game. I hope this was just nerves, or else we're going to be regretting the one-way deal.

Dumont and Goc both had their ups and downs.

Hornqvist was playing like it was the playoffs. Gotta love that guy.

I was reasonably impressed with Kostitsyn, not just his offensive skills, which are well-known, but also his penalty killing ability. Look forward to continuing to watch him.

Tootoo looked like...the same old Tootoo. Big hits, a few thousand-mile-an-hour slapshots into the goalie's crest.

Taylor Beck is, once again, the real deal. As absurd and unlikely as it is, I wish there were a way to keep him up...because I think he could play in the NHL this season. He was making plays every time he was in the offensive zone, behind the net, in front of the net...absolutely got robbed of what looked like a sure goal in the third, late in a power play.

Pekka- WOW. Granted he misplayed O'Sullivan a bit on the breakaway, it was still a breakaway and I can let it go...especially when you look at how many HIGHLIGHT-REEL saves he made throughout his period and a half. If this is what we can expect from him, we may be in for the best goaltending we've seen from a Preds tender.

Dex- The Twitter pundits are cautiously anointing him our backup, but I don't really think he was tested all that much, and most of his saves were fairly routine. Rebound control worries me in particular...the game winning goal came when he made the initial save, and gave the Hurricanes an unbelievable amount of time to pull the puck out when he should have had it safely corralled. Not a bad showing, but I'm not ready to throw my vote that way yet, either.

I liked the charlie-hustle of Nick Spaling. I'd prefer him to Smithson as soon as this year, but I can wait one more season.

Power play-- new and improved? meet the new boss, same as the old boss. I'll withhold judgment, since we were without so many of our power play regulars, but what I saw in terms of system and strategy looked disappointingly identical to what we saw tried and failed all last season. We'll see.

Penalty kill looked great, and had plenty of opportunity to look great, given that we gave them 30 power plays. Bright side? They only scored on one, in the dying seconds.

All in all, fun night...surprisingly full for a preseason game, and always great to be back. Saw a lot of encouraging things from a team taht was really overmatched in terms of the quantity of talent and experience...game shouldn't have been that close.

On to Saturday!

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 06:36 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

So we had 2 top six regulars, 2 bottom six regulars and no top 4 defensemen playing and we lost by one + en?

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 06:49 AM
predfan98

Fun, fun , fun.

I also wasn't impressed with Dekanich. thought he was "fair." And I don't think you can be "fair" in that category and earn the back up role.

I've always liked Spaling. Agree about Beck. If I was able to keep Beck or Ellis (know we can't), I would keep Beck here. He fills a bigger need.

I think after Saturday the roster should be trimmed way back, to at least 30 or even less.
Let's use preseason to figure out our veteran lines and figure out that chemistry and hit opening night running, rather than fiddling so much at the beginning of the season.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:34 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
So we had 2 top six regulars, 2 bottom six regulars and no top 4 defensemen playing and we lost by one + en?
To most of Carolina's nhl club too.....kids did ok

Old
09-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Jarnberg

Geoffrion had a pretty good game defensively. He didn't look out of place at all. He seemed 'experienced' out there.

Beck, the skill and creativity is there, the understanding of the NHL game and the speed of it isn't (not that you would expect that to be there with all his NHL experience ); he is a year or two off. Still one of our most exciting prospects.

I like what I saw from Kostitsyn. Seems like a guy who can make things happen but was a victim of bad ice (who wasn't).

Andersson had an ok game; he was solid backchecking but had a hard time clicking with his line (not unreasonable given his time span with the team).

Parent was our best overall defenseman imo, physical game and make some good stops. Ellis wasn't that out of place, he was close to picking up a few assists tonight on some nice plays; his decision making seemed a bit off, but Carolina was doing a good job limiting the play to our defensemen on the PP.

Dekanich didn't do himself any favors. He should have held onto that rebound which lead to the second goal. He didn't have too many hard tests. Rinne made a fantastic save which got him a standing O; only goal on him was a breakway after Franson broke his stick.

Again, hard to evaluate guys because of the ice.

Tootoo took a bit of a run at McBain as McBain had his head down after crossing the blueline and Tootoo was gunning for him after getting knocked down a few second before. You really don't want to see stuff like that in the preseason. Tootoo was much better about stuff like that last year.

Last edited by Jarnberg: 09-24-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:25 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

For those expecting goals from SK, don't, he's he to play defense and to make plays. I don't want Sk to be a 20 goal scorer. I want him to make Legwand a 20 goal scorer, Ward a 15-20 goal scorer and the rest of the lower forwards to be 10+ goal scorers. From what I'm hearing from the Twits SK's active on the defensive end and has a east-west game. Sounds like active skates to me.

Even if his offensive game sucks, he can play very capable 4th line duty and at $500,000. He's getting paid to be a 4th liner.

EDIT: And with the rosters, I was expecting a 6-1 game.

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 09-24-2010 at 09:40 AM.
BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Dodgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
following up on my own post... not sure about tonight but I confirmed that there are no lower bowl seats left for saturday night vs the caps.

if any of you were planning on walking up at gametime with your free ticket voucher you may want to call your ticket rep and go ahead and have them save you some seats or go on by the box office and get them early. the best I could do this afternoon was 318 row K.
Hmmmm...I was at the game last night and I redeemed vouchers for Sat. and Mon. I got 4th row from the glass behind the player's bench. (for both games). So there WERE seats in the Lower Bowl as of last night. Maybe because they were single seats. Might check into that if you're interested.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:03 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I filled out a form for free tickets and have yet to be contacted

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:25 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I thought SK was one of the more noticeably vets in the game. Dangerous with the puck, did not take many shifts off; if he will play with this kind of game and actually setup his linemates this will be noted as a genius stroke by Poile. He seemed to have some chemistry with Horny, who played with lots of fire as others have mentioned.

As for Beck, the kid has soft hands but several times I saw him try moves that just won't play well in the speed and strength of the NHL game. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a very bright prospect at this point, certainly farther along than many had reckoned now, but not quite ready for the big dance.

As far as the D-- liked what I saw from Parent. They guy is strong, and positionally very sound. Seems to play a very quiet game, you are not going to notice him more, which means he is doing his job. I will echo the comments already posted that Franson had a bad outing. Outplayed by a couple of prospects. Blum was ok but I have trouble coming up with a single example of something special he did. Was sound positionally, skated well, did not get overpowered much by a mostly more experienced lineup. Ellis-- what can I say that has not been said? I thought he was better by hair than Franson but worse than all the other D men that wore the Blue last night. Mainly because he does not yet read and react at the speed of the game. He can shoot and pass at NHL levels, but I am not sure he instinctively reacts that way yet. That will only come by playing past Junior, where he cannot learn anything else. I hope he does not resent going back there and become a head case as some players do in this situation.

Sulzer looks like he has gotten stronger over the summer. Still he is fighting for that 7th slot with Laakso, Anderson, Blum. Josi (who I really wish had not sustained that injury) would be right there with them but now he gets 4-6 weeks of weight training/rehab stateside. We have a wealth of problems there that many in the league must envy and I would be shocked if we don't end up trading someone this year from the blue line.

Dekanich did not impress me all that much-- I hope the staff has more to go on before making a decision because he did not look like he could carry 20-25 games to me, or back up Rinne if an untimely injury took him out of action in the stretch run.

Well, there is my assessment from last night-- that and a $1 will get you a cup of coffee a few places...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:02 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
I hope he does not resent going back there and become a head case as some players do in this situation.
don't take this question the wrong way, but I am curious as to who this kind of situation has affected before. I can't think of a prospect sent to junior bc of age that was a headcase. just looking for examples.

Old
09-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
I think after Saturday the roster should be trimmed way back, to at least 30 or even less.
Let's use preseason to figure out our veteran lines and figure out that chemistry and hit opening night running, rather than fiddling so much at the beginning of the season.
Monday is cut down day. Players practice in the AM, then some will be sent to Milwaukee for the start of their camp on Tuesday...the rest of the training camp only features one practice session per day.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 06:13 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Monday is cut down day. Players practice in the AM, then some will be sent to Milwaukee for the start of their camp on Tuesday...the rest of the training camp only features one practice session per day.
ok, thanks. that makes sense to keep them here until Milwaukee starts.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:58 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
don't take this question the wrong way, but I am curious as to who this kind of situation has affected before. I can't think of a prospect sent to junior bc of age that was a headcase. just looking for examples.
Upshall comes to mind as an example...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote