HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doing a Paper on you guys: The Canadiens!

Old
09-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Hugo Sham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
I'd say the Canadiens are Montreal's team more than anything. Sure, there are a lot of Habs fans scattered around Canada, but the impact of the team on Montrealers is way bigger than it is on fans living elsewhere.

In Montreal, it's always Habs, 24/7. You don't get that as a Habs fan living somewhere else.

I'd say that for many decades, and even today, the Habs are a big part of being a Montrealer. It's not about being Franco or Anglo, even though the media likes to make it a salient point of the Canadiens' meaning to our society, but it's more so about living in this hockey-mad city and living in it as a Habs fan.

The Canadiens have had English and French fans ever since it was created. It had a lot of legendary French-Canadian players, but the team also had very important English players and staff and that makes them more than the sacrosanct French culture monument its made to be today.

So to resume, I'd say the Habs, for the most part, are the Montrealers' team. Not the French-Canadians or Quebecers' teams, but it is Montreal's team, period.
i would argue the contrary. i'm from montreal and i'd say hab fans from outside the city and province are collectively far more hardcore precisely because they have to make an even bigger effort to search it out and connect. we get it 24/7. it's easy to be imbibed by it

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Well yes...I mean, the Montreal Canadiens team is Montreal's team as much as the Edmonton Oilers are Edmonton's team, and the Columbus Blue Jackets, Columbus' team, etc, etc...

But to say that the Montreal Canadiens belongs to the french canadiens of the province of Quebec, that's where I draw the line. I'm a francophone from Ontario and my earliest memory is watching the Montreal Canadiens, I feel as much a part of them as someone who comes from Montreal as well.
Yeah I definitely agree with you. What I said about the Canadiens being Montreal's team wasn't supposed to be taken that literally. What I meant was that being a Habs fan in Montreal is not the same as being a Habs fan elsewhere in terms of exposure and constant presence. I'm pretty sure a Blue Jackets fan will get the same type of experience as a fan whether he lives in Columbus or in Cleveland. This is not the case with the Habs.

It doesn't make Habs fans living elsewhere less of fans, but I said it to illustrate the fact that the Habs are the Montrealers' team, whether French or English, young or old and not only French Montrealers and Quebecers' team as the OP assumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i would argue the contrary. i'm from montreal and i'd say hab fans from outside the city and province are collectively far more hardcore precisely because they have to make an even bigger effort to search it out and connect. we get it 24/7. it's easy to be imbibed by it
I'll agree to disagree. I understand your point and it's not wrong, but to me, it's not about who's the most hardcore fan out there. It's that by living in Montreal or around it, your exposure to the Canadiens is more than watching them on TV and talking about them on the Internet, at the bar, whatever. In Montreal, whether you like them or not, whether you care or not, it's always Habs, Habs, Habs. Ads on buildings, on the highway, etc. Montrealers, by default, are Canadiens fans. It's arguable that people from elsewhere are not.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Well yes...I mean, the Montreal Canadiens team is Montreal's team as much as the Edmonton Oilers are Edmonton's team, and the Columbus Blue Jackets, Columbus' team, etc, etc...

But to say that the Montreal Canadiens belongs to the french canadiens of the province of Quebec, that's where I draw the line. I'm a francophone from Ontario and my earliest memory is watching the Montreal Canadiens, I feel as much a part of them as someone who comes from Montreal as well.
Making you a French Canadian

Doesnt mean you have to be from Quebec to be a French Canadian, just that your mother tongue is french and that you love the habs

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

hey guys, thanks for the responses!

Unfortunately, I can't really submit everything because its still in the infant stages. However, I do like the point about being Montreal's team, and how English players played a huge role as well (which is often forgotten). I even pitched the idea of the Maroons to my teacher and he was impressed.

I also find the idea of how the Canadiens are Canada's team to be a good one too. I was thinking of mentioning how the Leafs were the wests team for the longest time (if I can find the sources)

I also forgot to mention that I was going to focus mostly between the 1909 seasons to the 1960s. I wanted to make Maurice Richard a focal point as well (I'm just about to buy that Academic book that relates the Rocket to a symbol)

I didn't know about the homework thread, since I think this is my first thread created in the Habsland forum.

Still, I really appreciate all the feedback!

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:25 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

I suggest asking French Quebecers for their opinion, as they put much moire importance on the team than people here who believe that it is strictly a hockey team.

La Grosse Tendresse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
I suggest asking French Quebecers for their opinion, as they put much moire importance on the team than people here who believe that it is strictly a hockey team.
as opposed to bilingual montrealer's whose opinion means **** all

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 06:02 PM
R4lph B4ckstrom

Don't forget to say in your paper that the word "Canadien", at the time the club was created (1909), meant "french canadian" (as opposed to the terms "loyalist" or "english people" for instance).

R4lph B4ckstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Maliki2

Although this may sound funny but the love of the Habs extends much further than Quebec. I'm the biggest die hard Habs fan that I know, and I live across the border in Vermont. Habs aren't just a hockey team they are my life!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

It's not just the Habs, but hockey itself as a whole.

Some of the greatest players to play the game were born right here on the island, from Richard to Lemieux, to Brodeur and many others. The NHL was born here. The city of Montreal has put its name on the cup close to 40 times, if you count the other Montreal teams, in the pre-NHL era. Hockey is an integral part of our culture.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote