HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2010, 04:25 PM
OK Okposo

vCash: 500
Seems like Martin is going to play in the NHL this year... Isles twitter recently stated he will wear the number 17, and now hes listed on the Isles roster page on there website. (He was not listed until today)

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Old
08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Okposo View Post
Seems like Martin is going to play in the NHL this year... Isles twitter recently stated he will wear the number 17, and now hes listed on the Isles roster page on there website. (He was not listed until today)

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/roster.htm
Interesting, but I'll first believe it when it becomes a reality - on the ice.

Old
08-25-2010, 05:14 PM
OK Okposo

Definitely not confirmation, but it is telling...

Jon Sim and Bruno are up there too...

Old
08-27-2010, 04:18 AM
Mikkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
Preseason is well under way in Sweden, but the only Islanders prospect left (not counting Ridderwall) is Anders Nilsson. Luleå played their first preseason match yesterday, and Nilsson shut out Modo (36 saves!) for a 1-0 win. Highlights

Solid start to the season - let's hope it continues!
2 more preseason games played (last week). 2 defeats for Luleå, Nilsson with 14 saves on 16 shots in a 2-0 loss to Björklöven and with 23 saves on 26 shots in a 2-3 loss against Skellefteå.

Pre-season totals so far: 73 saves, 78 shots = 93,6 pct.

In the ish-prestigious (not really, but there is decent money on the line) preseason-tournament European Trophy, Stefan Ridderwall has played 6games for Djurgården with a SVS% of 92,1.

Old
08-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Dice on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4morecups View Post
Sorry if this is not allowed on these boards, but here is a pretty decent list with some background on each player and the strengths of each prospect.
http://www.premiumscouting.com/index...eams&Itemid=24

I think its a good list with a little bit of a different view of our top prospects, and I also think they are going by which prospects have the highest upside.
This right here is a half-decent list, though they are insanely high on Kabanov.

Old
08-27-2010, 05:44 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post
This right here is a half-decent list, though they are insanely high on Kabanov.
That is what I thought as well, although he does have that kind of potential, however the chances that he will reach that potential are quite slim.

Old
08-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Not really of great interest, and not even fitting in this thread (nor any other), but for those interested, Tyler Haskins has been trying out for the Wolfsburg Grizzlies in the German DEL. A decision on whether he stays or not should be met on Thursday evening.

http://www.eishockey.info/eishockey/...&artikel=20866

And for those who didn't catch it, Bentivoglio has long since signed with Germany's Augsburg Panthers, where he'll play with recent Wild signing Denis Endras.

Old
09-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Jag68Sid87

Looking for some info on a former (or perhaps current?) Isles prospect. What happened to G Jase Weslosky? I know he played three years at St. Cloud State, and then last year he didn't play at all. Is he still Isles property? Where did he play last year? Where is he now?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Old
09-03-2010, 08:37 PM
du78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Looking for some info on a former (or perhaps current?) Isles prospect. What happened to G Jase Weslosky? I know he played three years at St. Cloud State, and then last year he didn't play at all. Is he still Isles property? Where did he play last year? Where is he now?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
He transferred to Bemidji State and had to sit out last year. He then became academically ineligible at Bemidji State and from what I know has left the school. I doubt the Isles have much interest in him now as they probably would have signed him after leaving SCSU. He struggled some his last year at SCSU even though he was 16-13-2.

Last edited by du78: 09-03-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old
09-04-2010, 04:56 PM
THunt07

weslosky is still listed on the islanders website on the "prospects" roster. They must have updated it pretty recently because ridderwall isnt on there, and i think they basically gave up on bringin him over here. So maybe there is a reason weslosky was left on there. but i was assuming that he was gonna play at bemidji stat this year, so im not really sure. we should find out soon enough. maybe he'll end up in utah.

Old
09-04-2010, 07:45 PM
du78

Weslosky is not on the BSU roster and has left the school. Also he was not at the Isles Development Camp back in July. Doubt he is very high on the Isle's radar right now even though his draft rights may still be owned by them..

Last edited by du78: 09-04-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old
09-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Mikkel

3 (regular season) games played in Sweden so far.

Anders Nilsson (the only Isles-prospect) started in one (18 svs, 21 shots, 85,71%), while his colleague David Rautio has started twice for Luleå. Luleå has won all three matches, so the combination seem to work. Although I had hoped that Nilsson would emerge as the clearcut #1 goaltender for the year, instead of sharing the playing time like this.

On a sidenote former Islander Janne Niinimaa leads not only Luleå in points, but the entire Elitserien

Old
09-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Spurgeon Signs

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4094667

Might be of interest to some.

Spurgeon has signed with Minnesota after having stood out at a tryout.

Old
09-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Renbarg

Good for spurgeon. I watched a few games of his against portland last year and he definetly has some skills. The only problem of course is size. I also accept the islanders explanation that they like him but not enough given the amount of contracts they had left. Botta had a good article about how good the 08 draft is really starting to turn out. Only toews is looking like a bust thus far.

Old
09-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Dice on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
Good for spurgeon. I watched a few games of his against portland last year and he definetly has some skills. The only problem of course is size. I also accept the islanders explanation that they like him but not enough given the amount of contracts they had left. Botta had a good article about how good the 08 draft is really starting to turn out. Only toews is looking like a bust thus far.
It's a stretch to call a third rounder a bust.

Toews, Niemi, and DiBenedetto have all been written off in my book. No harm done... just a numbers game. You're not gonna have every pick pan out.

Old
09-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Nice game by Cizikas tonight in a 4-1 win for the Majors over Kingston. Great on face offs, worked hard all night, good on the PK, and was playing the setup man on the right goal line, setting up the cross-ice pass on the PP. He also was wearing the 'C' for the Majors.

Old
09-25-2010, 12:50 AM
Joe Hallenback

David Toews scored a goal in Brandon's 5-4 win over Regina. Could have had about 5 more he had alot of good chances

Old
09-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
David Toews scored a goal in Brandon's 5-4 win over Regina. Could have had about 5 more he had alot of good chances
A goal-per-game pace? We'll take it.

Look forward to further updates!

Old
09-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Nice game by Cizikas tonight in a 4-1 win for the Majors over Kingston. Great on face offs, worked hard all night, good on the PK, and was playing the setup man on the right goal line, setting up the cross-ice pass on the PP. He also was wearing the 'C' for the Majors.
Good to hear SofK.

Any word on what Majors management expects of Cizikas this season?

Old
09-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Good to hear SofK.

Any word on what Majors management expects of Cizikas this season?
I think they'd be happy if he was Cody Hodgson-lite. A sort of jack-of-all-trades who could run the PP, play the PK, win key faceoffs, play hard in all three zones, tough on the forecheck, and lead by example through relentless hard work. He obviously doesn't have Hodgson's top-end offense, but a point-per-game season coupled with all those other intangibles is likely what they expect from him.

To be honest, what impressed me most about his game last night were those intangibles. I believe he got a goal and an assist (the OHL site is messed up right now and I can't check the boxscores to double-check, as I don't recall from the actual game), but he was key for the Majors in the face off dot, and was a big part in the Majors killing off 5 first period penalties, including two 5 on 3 advantages for Kingston, in which they kept the score 0-0 after 1 period. Kingston could have buried the game if they capitalized on those 5 powerplays in the first, but the Majors' PK (and Cizikas as part of that) shut them down to keep it scoreless.

Where most star players are only noticeable when they've got the puck on their stick, or when they're in the offensive zone, Cizikas looked good even if the puck was nowhere near him.

Last edited by Sidney the Kidney: 09-25-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old
09-25-2010, 02:10 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
When I saw Cizikas at rookie camp his game reminded me (stylistically of coarse) of Mike Richards.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Does anyone here know how Nino is doing? I have him on my fantasy team. Do you think he will make the team?

Old
09-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Caged Great

How are Andrew MacDonald, Dustin Kohn, and Mark Katic playing? Don't get much Isles prospect news here in Calgary.

Old
10-01-2010, 01:06 PM
SDIsles34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
How are Andrew MacDonald, Dustin Kohn, and Mark Katic playing? Don't get much Isles prospect news here in Calgary.
Katis has impressed and plays bigger/smarter than most expected. Another injury to the defense and Katic could very well be in position to log decent minutes with the big club.

Andrew MacDonald is hardly considered a prospect anymore. Should carry 1st unit duties with Streit out of lineup. Could potentially establish himself as a bonafide #1-2NHL defensemen this season.

Haven't heard much on Kohn but at this point he seems like a reliable call-up, kind of what you see is what you get. You don't notice him very much which of course is a good thing.

Old
10-01-2010, 02:15 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post
Katis has impressed and plays bigger/smarter than most expected. Another injury to the defense and Katic could very well be in position to log decent minutes with the big club.

Andrew MacDonald is hardly considered a prospect anymore. Should carry 1st unit duties with Streit out of lineup. Could potentially establish himself as a bonafide #1-2NHL defensemen this season.

Haven't heard much on Kohn but at this point he seems like a reliable call-up, kind of what you see is what you get. You don't notice him very much which of course is a good thing.
Let's not forgot that AMac was not good offensively at all last year. He made crisp passes, and was sound in his defensive zone, but much like Martinek, he has not shown the ability to put all his skills together to become effective offensively.

Unless, this facet of his game improves, he won't be a bona fide top 2 dman in the league. He will be on our top pairing, but his skills, as of right now are that of a bottom 4 guy, not a top 2.

There is no sugar coating the Streit injury. However, with so many dmen, competition will force guys to play at their best. In a strange way, it's an excellent litmus test for our yonger dmen AMac, Hillen, and whomever else gets called up.

Closed Thread