HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp 2010

Old
09-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
i attended about a dozen Fronts games last year.
he doesn't have the smarts to be an NHLer.

- routinely takes bad penalties.
- misses assignments.
- poor passing, especially first passes out of the zone.
- unrelated to smarts, he's also a pretty poor skater.

he's got size, is physical and has a hard (not accurate shot), but that's about it...
Having attended all their games last year, and including a few road games, I have to disagree with your overall assessment of Doherty.

You're right on the penalty thing, but that IMO has more to do with him still trying to learn to utilize his size. He's caught between trying to play "positional" and trying to be a physical beast, and sometimes this results in him taking a penalty when he can't decide which style to play.

His passing isn't as good as Gudbranson's or Brian Lashoff's, but it's not terrible. He'll never be an offensive defenseman at the NHL level, but I don't think his first pass or outlet pass will make him a liability at the NHL level. I don't think it's any worse than defensive types like Douglas Murray or Colin White.

Missed assignments, IMO, has more to do with the disorganized team he plays for. Even Gudbranson sometimes looks like he's out of position, mainly because the coaching staff doesn't have all five men on the ice working as a cohesive unit, so each individual is kind of left to their own devices to decide where they should be at any given time.

And his skating, IMO, is actually good for a big man. His lateral movement needs some work, as does his pivoting when transitioning from skating forward to backward, but straight away he's got good wheels for someone that big.

I actually think he and Gudbranson could be a huge (pardon the pun) pairing this year for the Frontenacs, assuming both get returned. Hopefully Gudbranson is given the green light to show off his offensive potential more this year.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:34 PM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
The season hasn't even started yet. I don't want last place until I see we're a non-contender by the trade deadline. I want a playoff team.
Last place will accelerate this team's rebuild making it more likely to be a perennial playoff contender. Making the playoffs is a short term gain.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
i attended about a dozen Fronts games last year.
he doesn't have the smarts to be an NHLer.

- routinely takes bad penalties.
- misses assignments.
- poor passing, especially first passes out of the zone.
- unrelated to smarts, he's also a pretty poor skater.

he's got size, is physical and has a hard (not accurate shot), but that's about it...
I've gotta disagree with what some of what you say. He definitely has the smarts to be an NHLer. A 6'8" physical guy who's solid defensively and can skate like that will be an NHLer. I don't understand how you think he's a poor skater(for his size). Obviously he's not Bobby Orr, but he's not slow either. I don't think there's anything wrong with his hockey sense. And if there is, it's not so bad that it's a significant detriment.

Does he take bad penalties? Yeah. Does he intimidate opposing forwards and keep the front of his net clear? Yeah. It's part of the game for him. You take the good with the bad with a guy like that. Does he miss assignments? yeah, but not with any sort of regularity. He's got some holes to his game but he's solid enough in his own zone and his reach is ridiculous.

I've never noticed a problem with his passing. I've always thought that part of his game was decent, at least for a stay at home type. His offensive numbers are a bit inflated, but he might be able to bring a modicum of offense to the table in the NHL as well. Maybe Bryan Allen type production or a little better.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Last place will accelerate this team's rebuild making it more likely to be a perennial playoff contender. Making the playoffs is a short term gain.
Making the playoffs could be a long-term gain, as well.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Agreed, it'd be cool to make the playoffs but getting another top 3 pick really is the best thing for this team in the long run. An elite offensive prospect or Larsson added to what we already have in the system would set this team up for many good years to come.

When you look at our roster, our goaltending is great, our defense is OK but not good, our offense looks deep even if not containing much starpower. At first glance it looks like a team that could actually surprise and give the playoff teams a run for their money. However, one or two injuries up front would change that significantly. This team needs to stay almost injury free to make the playoffs, and the chances of that happening are slim to none. I'm not worried about it, I'm confident we'll get a lottery pick or somewhere around there. I just hope it's a top 3 pick.

Old
09-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Agreed, it'd be cool to make the playoffs but getting another top 3 pick really is the best thing for this team in the long run. An elite offensive prospect or Larsson added to what we already have in the system would set this team up for many good years to come.

When you look at our roster, our goaltending is great, our defense is OK but not good, our offense looks deep even if not containing much starpower. At first glance it looks like a team that could actually surprise and give the playoff teams a run for their money. However, one or two injuries up front would change that significantly. This team needs to stay almost injury free to make the playoffs, and the chances of that happening are slim to none. I'm not worried about it, I'm confident we'll get a lottery pick or somewhere around there. I just hope it's a top 3 pick.
Yeah, but i'm with Erick on this one. No complaints if we make the playoffs. No complaints if we get a top 3 pick.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:05 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
What time does the game vs. Canes start tonight?

EDIT: Nevermind I got it, it's 7.00 P.M

Last edited by billysbreakdown: 09-21-2010 at 10:46 AM.
billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:11 AM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Yeah, but i'm with Erick on this one. No complaints if we make the playoffs. No complaints if we get a top 3 pick.
Yeah I'm in that boat as well. It could really boil down to how we start the season. If we get off to one of your usual slow starts, it may be hard for this team to battle it's way back, regardless of how early it is.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:17 AM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Does anyone know if the game tonight has any radio or tv feeds?

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
Fialkov confirmed no tv no radio.

Quote:
No TV. No radio, so I’ll be blogging between periods and after game.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
GR will be doing one of his live chats though.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:13 PM
BabyJagrov

Nothing on yesterday's scrimmage ?

I just heard that Weiss got hit hard by Gudbranson, that Olesz scored on a penalty shot against Markstrom with his old move, and that the score was 3-0...

Other than that no feedback, nothing...

Anyone ?

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:30 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post

I just heard that Weiss got hit hard by Gudbranson, that Olesz scored on a penalty shot against Markstrom with his old move, and that the score was 3-0...

Anyone ?
Harvey reviewed it on his Sun-Sentinel blog, did you see it?

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post

Anyone ?
I know olesz scored.. that's all i heard.

Old
09-21-2010, 07:25 PM
HiggsBroson

go on florida panthers twitter.. link to the game is there..showing live feed on hurricanes website..

HiggsBroson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:13 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

any solid Panther tweeters around?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:27 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
I also agree. And since the season hasn't started yet, I still would rather see the playoffs.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 12:14 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
There's no way Jenks is in the ECHL. He's definitely good enough to be a bottom 6 guy on an AHL team. We have a lot of depth(quality 2nd and 3rd liners) and good prospects, that's why he didn't make the cut. But he'll be in Rochester, you can bank on that. I'd be pretty willing to bet on Selleck being there too, even if it's just as a depth guy.

Another thing with Jenks is they know he needs 2-3 years in the AHL for his offense to come into shape. He's not capable of "surprising" and earning an NHL job in camp at this point like some other guys are. He's a slow and steady guy, he'll be an NHLer but it's going to take awhile.
Thought you'd be interested to know that Jenks wasn't even listed on the Amerks training camp roster. Maybe it's a mistake, maybe not.

http://amerks.com/news/index.html?article_id=769

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:48 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Thought you'd be interested to know that Jenks wasn't even listed on the Amerks training camp roster. Maybe it's a mistake, maybe not.

must be a mistake.. he impressed a lot of people on the pnthers camp, so why would they then directly send him to cinci without even getting a chance in rochester?

he will be a nice 3rd liner for u guys this season

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post

Yeah it has to be a mistake, they have Selleck there but not Jenks?

Old
09-25-2010, 11:37 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Yeah it has to be a mistake, they have Selleck there but not Jenks?
Kevin O reported that he has been added to Florida's camp roster. Pretty weird, not sure what they are doing with him.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote