HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ben Holmstrom - Can he crack the lineup?

Old
09-25-2010, 03:49 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
Ben Holmstrom - Can he crack the lineup?

I read that Holmstrom made a good training camp and that he could very well crack the lineup? What's your thought? I don't know what to expect from as i never seen him before.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:03 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Gotta say he's looked pretty good in the first two games. At least he's grabbed my attention. Whether he cracks the lineup, I dunno. He's at least a very capable call up if a 3rd or 4th liner goes down with an injury (turn your head AWAY from the shot Lappy!! Always away!!!).

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:17 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

That remains to be seen. However I have to admit when he is on the ice you cannot help but to notice him. Time will tell. For a rookie to crack this line-up may be tough to do.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:30 AM
dookie88

He won't.
We are just too deep.
He probably would crack the line-up on 20 other teams in the league.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Komarov47

maybe a first call up from the minors? Can he push in the back of Betts?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:34 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
maybe a first call up from the minors? Can he push in the back of Betts?
I'm not sure Betts is into that sort of thing.

But seriously, there's just no room for anyone to crack this lineup.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 07:45 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

With a spot or two in the lineup he could but with 14 NHLers here already I doubt it. He's been the surprise of camp for me so far though among the forwards.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 07:48 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

One top 9 spot, and so far:

Carcillo vs. Powe vs. Guerin vs. Nodl vs. Testwuide vs. Holmstrom vs. Maroon (who hasn't played)

I have to say that I think Nodl has been the best so far.

The media swears it's Guerin.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 07:54 AM
JVR21
G

Why hasn't Maroon played?

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 07:57 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Carcillo vs. Powe vs. Guerin vs. Nodl vs. Testwuide vs. Holmstrom vs. Maroon (who hasn't played)

Top 9 spot I'd say nodl as well. Temp Betts replacement though I'd go Holmstrom. Yes that is taking Powe into account (who I like a ton, but he's better at the wing)

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 07:58 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Honestly?...No clue.

Old
09-25-2010, 08:00 AM
jb**

Quote:

He has no shot to make the team. None.
You still mention Maroon, how funny.
Holmstrom is the new Testicles who was the new Ryan Dingle.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:01 AM
jb**

Quote:
Becuase players have moved past him on the depth chart and he has fallen out of favor within the orginization.

Old
09-25-2010, 08:03 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Becuase players have moved past him on the depth chart and he has fallen out of favor within the orginization.
Dude, nearly every decent player in the organization who is able to play plays in the preseason. Maroon is one of our top prospects, like it or not. There has to be a reason other than " the organization doesn't like him."

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:05 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Clearly he sucks, just like Nodl...

Except Nodl looks to be playing himself into our top 9 if Holmgren does jump that waste of space Guerin...

So, what's your excuse for Nodl doing that?

I thought he was a worthless sack without any third line potential...

It couldn't have been that I was right, could it?

Old
09-25-2010, 08:07 AM
jb**

Quote:
Dude, nearly every decent player in the organization who is able to play plays in the preseason. Maroon is one of our top prospects, like it or not. There has to be a reason other than " the organization doesn't like him."
Ok dude. You asked a question and I gave you the answer. Then go find out for yourself why he hasnt played.

Old
09-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
I have no idea why Maroon hasn't played, but if he's one of our top prospects, and he hasn't seen any preseason action yet, someone speculating that "the organization doesn't like him" may just have a point.

Who knows, maybe there's an injury? If not, NWO's speculation does have merit, whether you agree with it or not.

The bottomline is that none of us know for sure why he hasn't played yet.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:14 AM
jb**

Quote:

Except Nodl looks to be playing himself into our top 9 if Holmgren does jump that waste of space Guerin...

Maroon is not an nhl player. Only you seem to think he is. He cant even get into a game yet, why is that Schaffer?

Where did you ever see me say Nodl sucks? You havent have you? Please show me where i even remotely suggested he sucks. Go ahead i will wait. Where did i suggest he was a worthless hack? Again your wrong as i am one of the few who like Nodl. so try again Cliff Claven. Nodl is not a top 9 player right now as he brings zero offense. He has had a nice camp. He hasnt stood out either. Guerin all already signed chief. All semantics with his tryout.

Funny how you dont seem to talk about Testicles anymore since he has pretty much shown he isnt nhl material right now.

What exactly are you right about? Can you refresh my memory?

Old
09-25-2010, 08:27 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

wtf has happened to Legein? has he played in any of the games yet?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:28 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Maroon is not an nhl player. Only you seem to think he is. He cant even get into a game yet, why is that Schaffer?
I don't know.

It's possible that he's not the type of player to fill the role they're looking for.

If that's the case, then all this might not matter because Guerin might get the job regardless and everyone else is just fighting for call-up duty.

It's also possible that they were disappointed with Maroon's 2009-10 season and want to see a rebound year from him.

Quote:
Where did you ever see me say Nodl sucks? You havent have you? Please show me where i even remotely suggested he sucks. Go ahead i will wait. Where did i suggest he was a worthless hack? Again your wrong as i am one of the few who like Nodl.
I believe you've said on more than one occasion that all our prospects suck.

I'm pretty sure you've thrown just about every prospect under the bus.

Though I'm confident you've talked about Nodl before, I can't prove it nor am I going to go hunting for it. Not worth my time.

I'm glad you suddenly like Nodl. Where were you when I was defending his NHL ability?

Quote:
so try again Cliff Claven.
Who?

Quote:
Nodl is not a top 9 player right now as he brings zero offense. He has had a nice camp. He hasnt stood out either. Guerin all already signed chief. All semantics with his tryout.
Who would you rather have in the top 9: Nodl or Guerin?

And if Nodl makes our top 9, one of the deepest in the NHL, out of camp, are you still going to say he's not a top 9 player?

Quote:
Funny how you dont seem to talk about Testicles anymore since he has pretty much shown he isnt nhl material right now.
I was never high on Testwuide. Any hype I might have shown for him was imagined by you. I was skeptical from the beginning.

That said, Testwuide has looked pretty good out there; as good as if not better than Holmstrom at least and Holmstrom suddenly has his own thread.

Quote:
What exactly are you right about? Can you refresh my memory?
Pretty much everything.

Old
09-25-2010, 08:40 AM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
As not great as our prospects are, I think it's real nice that we have 4-5 guys who can step in effectively. Nodl, kalinski, holmstrom, and even guys like Rowe and testwuide have looked capable

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:53 AM
jb**

Quote:
I don't know.

It's possible that he's not the type of player to fill the role they're looking for.

If that's the case, then all this might not matter because Guerin might get the job regardless and everyone else is just fighting for call-up duty.

It's also possible that they were disappointed with Maroon's 2009-10 season and want to see a rebound year from him.

I believe you've said on more than one occasion that all our prospects suck.

I'm pretty sure you've thrown just about every prospect under the bus.

Though I'm confident you've talked about Nodl before, I can't prove it nor am I going to go hunting for it. Not worth my time.

I'm glad you suddenly like Nodl. Where were you when I was defending his NHL ability?

Who?

Who would you rather have in the top 9: Nodl or Guerin?

And if Nodl makes our top 9, one of the deepest in the NHL, out of camp, are you still going to say he's not a top 9 player?

I was never high on Testwuide. Any hype I might have shown for him was imagined by you. I was skeptical from the beginning.

That said, Testwuide has looked pretty good out there; as good as if not better than Holmstrom at least and Holmstrom suddenly has his own thread.

Pretty much everything.
1. so you have bascialy done a 360 in regards to Maroon, like how you spin it though.
2. Yep, I dont like the prospect pool. It does suck. Doesnt mean i dislike everyone. I have backed nodl since day 1, long before you were around, when he was getting buried by people. You can be confident all you want that i talked about Nodle, again you would be wrong. To say i suddenly like Nodl is another incorrect statement made by you.
3. You dont know who Cliff Claven is? wow.
4. I dont want neither one of them in the top 9 the way the team is constructed. Yeah I will still say he is a not a top 9 player. Just because he beat out Guerin, which isnt happening, doesnt make you a top 9 player. He would be there by default because in their eyes he is the best option. Still doesnt make him a top 9 player. Carcillo is a better option than Nodl. Unril Nodl shows some offense.
5. You were skeptical of Testicles? It wasnt imagined by me. You had him pencilled in as top 9 player at times, always brough up his name over the summer when talking about forwards. He has been invisible.

Old
09-25-2010, 08:54 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
As not great as our prospects are, I think it's real nice that we have 4-5 guys who can step in effectively. Nodl, kalinski, holmstrom, and even guys like Rowe and testwuide have looked capable
Step into a 4th line possibly, like almost every team has. What about when their is an injury to scoring forward? They have nothing to help in that area.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:02 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
1. so you have bascialy done a 360 in regards to Maroon, like how you spin it though.
So, if I pulled a 360, I'm back where I started?

Quote:
2. Yep, I dont like the prospect pool. It does suck. Doesnt mean i dislike everyone. I have backed nodl since day 1, long before you were around, when he was getting buried by people. You can be confident all you want that i talked about Nodle, again you would be wrong. To say i suddenly like Nodl is another incorrect statement made by you.
Whatever works.

Quote:
3. You dont know who Cliff Claven is? wow.
Nope.

Quote:
4. I dont want neither one of them in the top 9 the way the team is constructed. Yeah I will still say he is a not a top 9 player. Just because he beat out Guerin, which isnt happening, doesnt make you a top 9 player. He would be there by default because in their eyes he is the best option. Still doesnt make him a top 9 player. Carcillo is a better option than Nodl. Unril Nodl shows some offense.
Then you want someone with offensive talent? Like Maroon?

Quote:
5. You were skeptical of Testicles? It wasnt imagined by me. You had him pencilled in as top 9 player at times, always brough up his name over the summer when talking about forwards. He has been invisible.
I said Testwuide was a less offensive version of Maroon with better skating. That's basically what we would be using him for even though there are a few other minor differences between them. Their role would be very similar on the Flyers.

I figured either he or Maroon might make the team. Now it's looking like it's between Nodl and Guerin.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:

No. You're wrong. Again. Until he proves he can finish more than once out of every 40 games, he'll never see a 3rd line again, at least not on merit.

Maroon - obviously not as well thought of as you say. Maybe he plays today. He had more chances from John Stevens, and he played more veterans in pre-season games.

Ben Holmstrom, nice camp, looks like he can be a decent player. No spot for him right now.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote