HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wade Redden - NYR

Old
09-25-2010, 10:49 AM
The Pucks

vCash: 500
6.5 million is his cap hit, what are the actual numbers for his yearly salary?

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:50 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaaaaron View Post
maybe he plays himself back to the NHL in a year of the ahl and goes on re-entry?
Rangers probably couldn't afford the $3.25 million cap hit next year or the year after.

Last edited by klingsor: 09-25-2010 at 10:56 AM.
klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:52 AM
patsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
$6,500,000.00 CAP HIT!

He will ONLY be picked up on re-entry waivers in my opinion ($3,250,000.00)

I would love to see Gauthier take him on re-entry waivers ONLY if Hamrlik and Spacek are off the books.

Markov - Redden
Gorges - Subban
Gill - O'Byrne
Cannot separate Gorges and Gill, would be
Markov - Subban
Redden - O'Byrne
Gorges - Gill

Meh not bad, but I don't see why a team would be more willing to grab Hamrlik at 5.5 M$ if Redden is unmovable at 6.5;

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I am hoping this will be a good lesson for players about the dangers of trying to get overpaid. But it's more likely that players will just start demanding NMCs instead.
Obviously

Anyway I'm curious to see what the Rangers will do now. Dolan has cash money but I have to think he would rather not pay Redden to play in the AHL. Plus you might not want a very disgruntled employee around future prospects.

Last edited by Renbarg: 09-25-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:55 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Redden's body really broke down on him, getting hit so much has caught up to him
I would like to see him on re entry waivers playing for half the salary,
but I wonder if, like Cheechoo, his injuries have left him unable to play
as he needs to.

I think he has had in fact the same sort of injuries as Cheechoo.

He was a great defenceman for Ottawa for years and it is sad to see what
has happpened to his career.

He was in Ottawa when they became a bona fide contender and his outlet pass
fuelled the Sens offense.

And he was in Ottawa for the Cup run,Chara had left the year before.

Chara seems more durable though his career started later than Reddens.

Chara playoff performances led Muckler to believe that it was more important to have a puck mover, but no one foresaw the decline in Reddens play.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:56 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
maybe he plays himself back to the NHL in a year of the ahl and goes on re-entry?
no....hes never going on reentry. why on earth would we take a 3.25m cap hit for nothing.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:58 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post

Anyway I'm curious to see what the Rangers will do now. Dolan has cash money but I have to think he would rather not pay Redden to play in the AHL. Plus you might not want a very disgruntled employee around future prospects.
dolan paid marbury like 25m to not play anywhere. redden apparently said he knew this was coming since the end of last year.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
This is an overlooked possibility, much like the Oceans turning to blood because of global warming.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:03 AM
190Octane

The way that Chicago, NJ and NYR get away with this crap really is cap circumvention. It completely screws the small market teams still because it allows them to still spend way more and just bury their mistakes. Hopefully the new CBA fixes this somehow.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:05 AM
HAPPY HOUR

From the Rangers site on NHL.com

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
The way that Chicago, NJ and NYR get away with this crap really is cap circumvention. It completely screws the small market teams still because it allows them to still spend way more and just bury their mistakes. Hopefully the new CBA fixes this somehow.

I agree that something should be addressed, but a team still has to protect itself against players that completely crap out and dont deserve a spot on the team, regardless of the money they make.

I hate the idea of putting players in the AHL that are worthy of an NHL roster spot. for instance, talks of NJ putting Salvador and Zubrus in the AHL is ridiculous and ********d up if you ask me

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Aaaaaron

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
no....hes never going on reentry. why on earth would we take a 3.25m cap hit for nothing.
Good faith? Big contracts aren't going away and players might be reluctant to sign them in rag town.

Aaaaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:07 AM
pepty

If he goes to play in Europe, are the Rangers on the hook for any of his salary?
I think its a lot liklier that he would want to play in Europe rather than ride the busses in the AHL.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
If he goes to play in Europe, are the Rangers on the hook for any of his salary?
I think its a lot liklier that he would want to play in Europe rather than ride the busses in the AHL.

i think he just had a kid. don't know if he would want to go over to Europe this quickly

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SpezDispenser

But this doesn't necessarily mean he'll be assigned to the AHL, correct? He could clear waivers and the Rangers might go a different direction (not that this would happen, but it could).

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ecemleafs

Quote:
Good faith? Big contracts aren't going away and players might be reluctant to sign them in rag town.
reddens play is the reason hes not gonna be on the roster. other FA's arent going to turn us down because of wade redden.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
i think he just had a kid. don't know if he would want to go over to Europe this quickly
It might not be so bad for him if they sent him to an English League team or even to a team in France or Switzerland.

Pretty high quality of life.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:13 AM
pepty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
I think Wade and his wife could do quite well in a place like Switzerland, I dont see them heading for the KHL.

In fact i can see them inSwitzerland or France or Germany for example, a lot faster than I could see them in an AHL town.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:15 AM
FanHabtic

I can see future UFA's who sign big contracts with the NYR demanding NMC's to avoid this type of situation...

FanHabtic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
Well, it's an easy fix if they want to do it. All they have to do is make all one-way contracts count against the upper level. Then the teams have to suffer the consequences for their mistakes. It would also reel in the ridiculous long term contracts and when a player is no longer one they want on the team, they actually have to get rid of him through waivers/re-entry waivers/buyout. It'll make GM's really think about who they're giving big contracts to.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
And the Rangers just lost a little bit of respect throughout the whole league. Players are going to think twice before accepting a contract from the Rangers, who will put you on waivers in 2 or 3 years without batting an eye.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Tachycineta

I have two things to say:

1) It would be neat if teams could sort of trade money or cap space again. The big teams still probably wouldn't care because they wouldn't want to trade assets when they could just dump people in the minors but it might help smaller market teams who needed to get to the cap floor or needed a reduced payroll etc... But still, for players' sake- if teams could trade cap space (not necessarily payroll), those players could stay in the league. It's bad, IMO when NHL caliber players are stuck in the A due to contracts (not saying I feel sorry for the players but more for the league and its fans) I don't know but I kind of agree with Brian Burke on this one- something needs to be done.

2) I get more resentful because NYR can afford to do this and yikes at the amount of money they can just throw away. At least there isn't a direct correlation between payroll and quality of team. That would be really unfair.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:19 AM
tailfins

As a Devils fan, I hope this move stands. As others have pointed out, the Devils have used waivers, LTIR and others to manage their cap situation in the past, and may have to do so this year. However, I have a hard time understanding how small market teams or the NHL should let this fly.

This is a similar issue to Kovalchuk - Redden getting waived is the biggest contract ($ and length) to be buried in the minors. I guess it would depend on whether he's exposed to re-entry waivers, but if not the Rangers had opportunities to buy him out or trade him and did not. His stats are down, but he still played 75 games for the Rangers last year and was +8 (I realize plus/minus is a wacky stat). It's hard to see how he could be classified as "not an NHL player" one week into the next training camp - particularly without having played a single exhibition game.

The Rangers basically chose to sign Frolov vs. keeping Redden. Redden was already on the books, so the Rangers knew they were creating a cap situation by signing Frolov. How can small market teams / the NHL try to protect the salary cap and allow this?

Again, I hope this is allowed to stand as it would make life much easier for the Devils, but it wouldn't surprise me if the NHL challenged this.

Btw, "it's allowed in the CBA" doesn't mean much these days. The initial Kovy contract was "allowed in the CBA", but with the arbitrator choosing to interpret "intent to circumvent" vs. enforcing what was written, it seems that the NHL has a lot more flexibility now.

tailfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:20 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
But this doesn't necessarily mean he'll be assigned to the AHL, correct? He could clear waivers and the Rangers might go a different direction (not that this would happen, but it could).
I think that once he clears waivers the Rangers are going to send him down to their AHL team's camp, but they're also open to discussion with him about an alternative, so that if he wants to catch on with a team in Europe or something else then they'll see if they can make that work as well.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:22 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
And the Rangers just lost a little bit of respect throughout the whole league. Players are going to think twice before accepting a contract from the Rangers, who will put you on waivers in 2 or 3 years without batting an eye.
If only Redden would've realized that the Rangers already did this with Kasparitis -- this would have never happened because he never would've signed! Better yet, good thing Kovalchuk didn't realize the Devils did this on a few occasions (Malakov, etc.).

Sincerely doubt this is more than a glancing thought for any prospective UFA; actually, if it prevents them from signing, it's probably a good thing for the Rangers, considering their UFA track record.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote