HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wade Redden - NYR

Old
09-25-2010, 11:24 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
And the Rangers just lost a little bit of respect throughout the whole league. Players are going to think twice before accepting a contract from the Rangers, who will put you on waivers in 2 or 3 years without batting an eye.
Probably not that much. Most are going to believe that they can maintain a higher level of play than Redden did, and if they're really worried they'll push for NMCs. There are a lot of players that'll say "nah, it's not going to happen to me" when 40 mil or whatever are thrown at them.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Greg02

Quote:
And the Rangers just lost a little bit of respect throughout the whole league. Players are going to think twice before accepting a contract from the Rangers, who will put you on waivers in 2 or 3 years without batting an eye.
How about the Caps with Nylander? The Hawks with Huet?

Redden played himself out of a spot in the NHL. He was the worse defenseman on the Rangers last year, with the possible exception of Gilroy (and I thought Gilroy played better than Redden). I wouldn't want him on the Rangers if he was making league minimum, except possibly as a 7th defenseman.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:26 AM
nuclear reactor

Not sure why riding the bus to Rapperswil, Switzerland and living in a foreign country while making $6,500,000 is preferable to riding the bus to Albany and living in the United States while making $6,500,000.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:26 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Probably not that much. Most are going to believe that they can maintain a higher level of play than Redden did, and if they're really worried they'll push for NMCs. There are a lot of players that'll say "nah, it's not going to happen to me" when 40 mil or whatever are thrown at them.
Its not the players that will make those kinds of decisions. Its the player's agents who will be making certain demands (like NMC's) to protect their clients against the slight possibility that they would be dumped.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:29 AM
BLONG7

I would think if he is put on re-entry waivers, someone would pick him up at half price?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:30 AM
FanHabtic

While waiving Redden gives the NYR much needed cap-space for the season, the mere presence of Redden cap-hit during the off-season still cripples their flexibility to delve into the UFA market for high-dollar players. In the off-season when cap-flexibility is a premium, Redden's cap-hit will still be an albatross.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:32 AM
eco's bones

Might as well say it again. Some people just don't get it. Redden is not coming back up on re-entry waivers. The Rangers will not take the chance that someone decides to grab him and pay half his salary for the next 4 seasons.

Redden has options:

1) He can report to Hartford and get his full NHL salary for this year.

2) The Rangers have told him that they'd be willing to help him find a team in Europe.

3) He can refuse to report to Hartford--terminating his contract--and try to sign with someone else.

By the way other teams have done this or similar besides the Rangers, Devils, Blackhawks--the Islanders (Yashin), the Caps (Nylander) just off the top of my head. I think a lot of people here might find their own teams having done this before.

As for future free agents--I expect NYC is going to still be a prime target for many. I think the Rangers need to be more circumspect about who they sign in the future though--for how much and for what conditions. It's a two way street.

By all accounts Redden is a good guy. He couldn't perform to anywhere near the standard for the money he was making. The message today is you don't get to hang around in NYC just for being a good guy. I don't have a problem with it. He had to go in any case. The Rangers literally had no choice for them to get cap compliant. I don't feel sorry for Wade. He's got a lot of money. He has options--he should do okay.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:32 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Feel bad for Redden, all he did was sign the best contract he was offered.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:34 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I would think if he is put on re-entry waivers, someone would pick him up at half price?
Who's going to pay $3.25 million per year for 3 years to a 6/7 defenseman?

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:41 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Cool man. Nobody asked for your personal opinion. Oh, it's such a surprise that you're a Canadian!
For what it's worth, I would too. And yeah, the opinion was kind of asked. Someone wondered why Redden would rather play in Switzerland than the USA, and Pyke said he'd rather play in Switzerland. It makes sense!

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:45 AM
nuclear reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
For what it's worth, I would too. And yeah, the opinion was kind of asked. Someone wondered why Redden would rather play in Switzerland than the USA, and Pyke said he'd rather play in Switzerland. It makes sense!
Well ok but it entirely misses my point. Players go to Europe to get paid better than they could in the AHL. Redden already has the guaranteed money. My second point was attempting to rebut this meme about ridding buses. Do you think all these European teams charter flights everywhere? Even NHL teams ride buses sometimes.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:46 AM
officeglen

very apropos the thread title has a lost d

edit: thread title had Reden, since fixed

Last edited by officeglen: 09-25-2010 at 02:41 PM.
officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:49 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Who's going to pay $3.25 million per year for 3 years to a 6/7 defenseman?
not even going to be possible considering hes never gonna go on reentry waivers.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:51 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Well ok but it entirely misses my point. Players go to Europe to get paid better than they could in the AHL. Redden already has the guaranteed money. My second point was attempting to rebut this meme about ridding buses. Do you think all these European teams charter flights everywhere? Even NHL teams ride buses sometimes.
Cristobal Huet says hello

Old
09-25-2010, 11:52 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen View Post
very apropos the thread title has a lost d
Wade Dreden?

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Huet's also closer to home in Switzerland, to be fair. (Though I'd pick Switzerland over the AHL too)

Consider this too, everyone - would you rather be the example of cap turmoil that got sent down to be a minor league scrub for several years, or the one who decided to go to a budding hockey nation that's starting to define themselves as a result of said cap turmoil?

A high cap hit guy in the AHL will be remembered as more of a joke than a guy who helped the growth of Swiss hockey by being a relatively big name coming into their league right around the time of the big upswing of the program.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:54 AM
The Nightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
$6,500,000.00 CAP HIT!

He will ONLY be picked up on re-entry waivers in my opinion ($3,250,000.00)

I would love to see Gauthier take him on re-entry waivers ONLY if Hamrlik and Spacek are off the books.

Markov - Redden
Gorges - Subban
Gill - O'Byrne
Lol, horrible idea! Hamrlik and Spacek are better then Redden

The Nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:56 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I think that when players signed to 1-way contracts are placed on waivers, the team that waived him should be forced to eventually place him on re-entry waivers as well.

Otherwise it just gives GMs that overpay for a player (ie. Redden, Finger, etc) a loophole to get out of their problems.

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:57 AM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
I think that when players signed to 1-way contracts are placed on waivers, the team that waived him should be forced to eventually place him on re-entry waivers as well.

Otherwise it just gives GMs that overpay for a player (ie. Redden, Finger, etc) a loophole to get out of their problems.
yeah....thats never gonna happen. so i guess you'll just have to find something else to get your panties in a bunch about.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
If you're an established NHLer who is being sent to the minors, Europe is a lot nicer to play in than the AHL.

Even past the salary and social conditions, from a pride perspective, playing in the SEL or SM-Liiga, DEL or the Swiss Elite League (can't remember it's name) is still a professional league, and does not play second fiddle in their market.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Huet is European, Redden is North American so your argument doesn't hold much weight.

A European is much more likely to leave North America for Europe than a North American.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:59 AM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr

The Ranger fans will be fired up at the Rock tonight!

Peace out, #6.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Haha ZOMG a player was waived, now nobody will ever think of signing with the Rangers because placing someone on waivers is SO unheard of!

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 12:01 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
Huet is European, Redden is North American so your argument doesn't hold much weight.

A European is much more likely to leave North America for Europe than a North American.
Oh I agree. But Hfboarders too often speak in sweeping generalizations

Old
09-25-2010, 12:01 PM
TMLeafer
Bring him home.

Used to be highly regarded. Oh how things changed.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote