HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Holmstrom - Can he crack the lineup?

Old
09-25-2010, 09:58 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
No. You're wrong. Again. Until he proves he can finish more than once out of every 40 games, he'll never see a 3rd line again, at least not on merit.
Well then I hope you enjoy Guerin's performances.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Garbage Goal

I don't know why anyone thinks anyone new going to make the team, aside from maybe Guerin, Backlund, or Bobrovsky.

Our lineup is set and it's deep. Do I think Holmstrom is NHL-ready? Maybe. I think he will be soon at the very least. Truth is that we do have a lot of quality bottom six guys ready for the NHL (Kalinski, Nodl, maybe Holmstrom, etc.), but there's no room for them on the roster.

Which makes the signing of Shelley all the more puzzling considering that we could have given an AHL guy that spot who deserves it and would be cheaper.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:04 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

i dunno about you guys but i got a funny feeling that clood griouxe(sp?) guy has a shot at the top 6 line.

hes my pick. if he does ill be genius!

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:15 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Guerin, and whether or not I "enjoy" him really has nothing to do with this. I've been indifferent on Guerin, and I'm willing to give him pre-season and possibly the start of the season (maybe until Blair Betts comes back) to prove that there is at least a few fumes left in the gas tank. His contributions will likely be on the power play, and knocking in the odd goal in front of the net, surely not many, if any flashes of brilliance, but the few there would be will be more than what Nodl is going to show being that he's never done it.

What in this team's recent history suggests that Nodl has a chance at being a 3rd line player this season? I've been a pretty big Nodl fan since he was drafted, I think everyone else here can attest to that. But the Flyers clearly want their 3rd line to contribute offensively on a regular basis, and Nodl can't do that. He has 1 goal and 5 points in 48 regular season games, plus 10 more playoff games, and as far as I can recall, has never scored in pre-season for the Flyers anyways, if he has it was once. He only has 21 goals in the AHL (a total that will surely go up when he spends another entire season down there), now granted it seems that there is a significant misuse of talent going on down there, but the point remains that Nodl can't finish, and contributes very little offensively, and he's going to have to prove he can do that before he starts bumping players off the team, yes even Jody Shelley.

He may or may not have a future as the next Ian Laperriere in this league, and history suggests that unless Nodl proves something more than being a decent 4th line grinder (who we have enough of), he's going to be traded and sent somewhere else, and probably pretty soon.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:28 AM
DrHamburg

Does it really matter? Shelley is potting 20 goals on the 3rd line this season.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:35 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Not a chance unless someone gets hurt.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:18 AM
jb**

Quote:
Were you not on the guerin train last week? Sadly Guerin in his current state has more to offer offensively than Nodl by a wide margin. That is how inept Nodl is right now when it comes to offense.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:26 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Nodl has had numerous times to prove himself and he never has. He's getting older and older.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:38 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Nodl has had numerous times to prove himself and he never has. He's getting older and older.
Agreed. Also his lack of ANY offense hurts him for playing on any line but the 4th. I know in preseason hes playing on higher lines, but how many times can someone set up Nodl and he not finish.

Holmstrom looks nice. I said it eariler, I think he has the offensive talent to play 3rd line center. He is a monster defensively, hense how he won the best defensive forward last season in college. Also he has been consistent putting up points. He also has been winning a decent amount of faceoffs.

JVR-Holmstrom-Giroux

I even think after the last game Wellwood should be looked at another game in preseason.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:44 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Were you not on the guerin train last week? Sadly Guerin in his current state has more to offer offensively than Nodl by a wide margin. That is how inept Nodl is right now when it comes to offense.
From the very beginning I was in favor of Nodl > Guerin.

That said, Guerin was almost everything I expected: terrible at everything with the ability to score goals.

That said, his offensive capabilities are not as good as I hoped.

So yes, I was alight with Guerin, and now I don't think it's such a great idea.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:49 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
I still dont think Nodl is good enough for the top 9. No problem with being on the 4th line. He still has zero offense. Not good enough for me for the top 9.

EDIT: that said, if given the choice like everyone else Nodl>>>>>>>>>Guerin

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 09-25-2010 at 11:54 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:35 PM
jb**

Quote:
From the very beginning I was in favor of Nodl > Guerin.

That said, Guerin was almost everything I expected: terrible at everything with the ability to score goals.

That said, his offensive capabilities are not as good as I hoped.

So yes, I was alight with Guerin, and now I don't think it's such a great idea.
I would like to see Nodl play with richards and Carter or Brierre and another good player. If he cant produce anything with those guys then he may never.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:38 PM
CantSeeColors

I like what I've seen out of Holmstrom, but the kid needs to pack on quite a bit of muscle before he gets a regular shift in the NHL. He's getting pushed all over the ice right now.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Dude, nearly every decent player in the organization who is able to play plays in the preseason. Maroon is one of our top prospects, like it or not. There has to be a reason other than " the organization doesn't like him."
There is a reason why he was sent back to the AHL, he is still young and needs to work on certain aspects of his game and his character as far as being better prepared coming into the pre-season. If he can go to Phantoms and put up some better numbers he will have a better chance next season.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:07 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I thought he played VERY well in the playoffs last season, even though it was only a couple games. I think he's still accepting the fact that he will not be a scorer in the NHL and is working on becoming a solid 2-way forward and a good grinder.

But I agree with what most said, there is no room on this roster for anyone, barring injury. Thankfully if someone gets hurt, the Phantoms look like they'll be loaded this year.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:05 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Guerin will likely get a contract for the simple fact that he can score. All of the guys "pushing" for his spot pretty much play the same kind of game and that is a defensive, check finishing game with little to no offense. I like 3 if not 4 guys better than Guerin but things like his little 5 seconds a game of offense will win him the spot.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:27 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Guerin will likely get a contract for the simple fact that he can score. All of the guys "pushing" for his spot pretty much play the same kind of game and that is a defensive, check finishing game with little to no offense. I like 3 if not 4 guys better than Guerin but things like his little 5 seconds a game of offense will win him the spot.
imo right now, Darroll Powe does everything Guerin can do better. He's a better defender, hustles, and he's probably the fastest guy on the team. I'm not really sold on Guerin's scoring touch at this point in his career, and we all know Powe has stone hands...but to be honest we really don't need another scorer, do we?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Agreed. Also his lack of ANY offense hurts him for playing on any line but the 4th. I know in preseason hes playing on higher lines, but how many times can someone set up Nodl and he not finish.

Holmstrom looks nice. I said it eariler, I think he has the offensive talent to play 3rd line center. He is a monster defensively, hense how he won the best defensive forward last season in college. Also he has been consistent putting up points. He also has been winning a decent amount of faceoffs.

JVR-Holmstrom-Giroux

I even think after the last game Wellwood should be looked at another game in preseason.
WHY, WHY would you move Giroux to the wing and put a kid who has not proven anything to center a line between Giroux and JvR?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:04 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
WHY, WHY would you move Giroux to the wing and put a kid who has not proven anything to center a line between Giroux and JvR?

Sigh dude, bring the Guerin stuff to the other thread. Its because 95% of us dont want a washed up Guerin on a line with Giroux and JVR

Old
09-27-2010, 04:39 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Sigh dude, bring the Guerin stuff to the other thread. Its because 95% of us dont want a washed up Guerin on a line with Giroux and JVR
I think he meant put Holmstrom on wing and Giroux at center.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:42 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I think he meant put Holmstrom on wing and Giroux at center.
I was just putting players in their positions (in this case Holmstrom being a center and Giroux being able to play both positions) I understand that most probablly dont want Holmstrom on the 3rd line (I think he could be a decent player on that line, cause he has shown some nice offensive talent, no points but has had chances) but I was just throwing ideas out.

Holmstrom-Giroux-JVR