HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wade Redden - NYR

Old
09-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Pyke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
Huet is European, Redden is North American so your argument doesn't hold much weight.

A European is much more likely to leave North America for Europe than a North American.
Redden is a Canadian, not an American. This is not a subtle difference. A Canadian is much more likely to not want their children to be raised in a situation where the values differ tremendously from those domestically; though this is equally true of American families, it's more likely that the values would closer align with the culture.

There are, to my knowledge, many more Canadian hockey players playing in Europe than you might realize. It's not really surprising to me either, many European countries have similar "values" to what you'd expect here.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Feel bad for Redden, all he did was sign the best contract he was offered.
Feel bad? He still going to be getting his 6.5M. So he plays in the AHL, oh well, he is clearly not good enough to play in the NHL anymore so that's what happens. Now he gets to be the highest paid paid player in the AHL, man do I feel bad for him.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

If Redden terminates his contract and looks for a new team at, let's say, $1 million, how many interested teams can be expected? A few?

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:02 PM
nickschultzfan

With Savard possibly out, I kind of hope Boston grabs Redden on re-entry and waive Ference

Bring Chara and Redden together again!

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:05 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
I agree that something should be addressed, but a team still has to protect itself against players that completely crap out and dont deserve a spot on the team, regardless of the money they make.

I hate the idea of putting players in the AHL that are worthy of an NHL roster spot. for instance, talks of NJ putting Salvador and Zubrus in the AHL is ridiculous and ********d up if you ask me
I may be biased as my team has a terrible contract on its hands that will likely be sent down (Finger) but I completely agree. When a player is completely overpaid and is a questionable NHL player, teams shouldn't be expected to keep them on their roster.

However for players such as Zubrus, who is still a valuable player at the NHL level, there is no reason he should be sent down or forced to go back to Europe to play because a team decided that it wanted to make a signing it didn't have room for.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Because people not as enlightened as you prefer to live and work in their own culture. And while I'm sure Redden is eager to take advantage of the generous welfare state in Switzerland, he might prefer to remain in the culture he's lived in his whole life.
I'm confused. Are you proposing that he has lived in the culture of the United States his whole life?

I would tend to think that Switzerland would be closer to Canadian culture than the United States, at least with respect to social programs and education systems; which would no doubt be a consideration with his kid on the way.

Old
09-25-2010, 01:06 PM
nuclear reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Redden is a Canadian, not an American. This is not a subtle difference. A Canadian is much more likely to not want their children to be raised in a situation where the values differ tremendously from those domestically; though this is equally true of American families, it's more likely that the values would closer align with the culture.

There are, to my knowledge, many more Canadian hockey players playing in Europe than you might realize. It's not really surprising to me either, many European countries have similar "values" to what you'd expect here.
I never knew there was such an East/West divide between America and Canada! I wonder why he put his family through such torture when he signed that deal to play in New York for six years!

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:07 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
I never knew there was such an East/West divide between America and Canada! I wonder why he put his family through such torture when he signed that deal to play in New York for six years!
There is quite a difference. Nationalized health care being one. The general cultures are different. I personally never realized there was such an East/West divide between say Switzerland and Canada

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:

A North American is not an American who lives in the northern United States. A North American is a person who lives in North America. North America is a continent consisting of Canada, The United Stated and Mexico.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:15 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
While waiving Redden gives the NYR much needed cap-space for the season, the mere presence of Redden cap-hit during the off-season still cripples their flexibility to delve into the UFA market for high-dollar players. In the off-season when cap-flexibility is a premium, Redden's cap-hit will still be an albatross.
Although this is an excellent point that I haven't heard mentioned that often, look at the Devils going over the cap. I think a team's allowed to be 5% over during the summer (someone will correct me I'm sure), so that's close to 3 million bucks that can be used until it's time to waive Redden all over again.

Good point though, it's a bit of a pain I'm sure.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Dupree13

I think Canada has a lot more in common culturally with the U.S. than it does with Europe, despite the welfare state.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:17 PM
nuclear reactor

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you proposing that he has lived in the culture of the United States his whole life?
Yes! I'm pretty sure he has spent much of his life traveling through the United States playing hockey. I suspect he is quite accustomed to it. And I don't think U.S. is like the Soviet Union or China compared to Canada.

Quote:
I would tend to think that Switzerland would be closer to Canadian culture than the United States, at least with respect to social programs and education systems; which would no doubt be a consideration with his kid on the way.
Well I disagree. And I really doubt that Redden, with his considerable wealth, needs to take advantage of state-run social or education programs for his kids to live a nice life.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
Blows for Redden, I guess.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:19 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senataur View Post
If Redden terminates his contract and looks for a new team at, let's say, $1 million, how many interested teams can be expected? A few?
If this happened, he'd definitely be signed by somebody. I could see him claimed off re-entry by a team with a weaker blueline. That said, I doubt he terminates the contract and I doubt Sather puts him on re-entry.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:20 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Although this is an excellent point that I haven't heard mentioned that often, look at the Devils going over the cap. I think a team's allowed to be 5% over during the summer (someone will correct me I'm sure), so that's close to 3 million bucks that can be used until it's time to waive Redden all over again.

Good point though, it's a bit of a pain I'm sure.
It's 10%

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Ol Dirty Bstrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I may be biased as my team has a terrible contract on its hands that will likely be sent down (Finger) but I completely agree. When a player is completely overpaid and is a questionable NHL player, teams shouldn't be expected to keep them on their roster.

However for players such as Zubrus, who is still a valuable player at the NHL level, there is no reason he should be sent down or forced to go back to Europe to play because a team decided that it wanted to make a signing it didn't have room for.
If he's "worthy of a roster spot" then he'll be claimed by another team. If 29 other GMs don't think he is worth his contract then sending him to the AHL/overseas is completely justified.

Ol Dirty Bstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
A North American is not an American who lives in the northern United States. A North American is a person who lives in North America. North America is a continent consisting of Canada, The United Stated and Mexico.

Sigh.

I am fully aware of what a "North American" is. Thanks. For an encore, why don't you tell us what a South American is.

The point (that apparently was totally lost on you) is that, in general, Americans, you know the ones living in the United States of America, tend to be much more willing to bundle up everyone in North America as being "North American" and use it as a descriptive term to describe themselves. This may account for the fact that the United States accounts for 330,000,000 people; which is more than twice Canada and Mexico *combined*.

I have *never* heard a Canadian refer to themselves as a North American first, just as I have never heard someone from France say, "Oh. I'm a European". This whole ideal of East v. West, North America v. Fortress Europe, is much more alive in American ideology than Canadian ones.

Old
09-25-2010, 01:26 PM
jniklast

I don't get all this talk about how this would be circumventing the cap. This was (unlike those retirement contracts...) forseen when the CBA was made, and thus the summer cap was installed. And it's also "only" ~6 million more that the normal cap, so most teams that can spend to the cap should be financially able to do this (and when it's better for the club to pay someone 6.5 million to play in the AHL, than to pay him the same to play in the NHL they should). For all the internal cap teams it's of course not an option, but there isn't complete parity anyway.

It's not a real loophole and it's not unlimited. This is the Rangers one "free" pass they get, if they need to dump another horrible contract in the next four years they can't repeat this.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Ail
k.

So it begins...

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:30 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
And now all the Ranger fans that previously complained about how the Devils got rid of Malakhov are all happy and partying. It's nice how your perception changes when it's your team.
The issue with Malakhov was his 35 plus contract. Two different situations.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I would laugh if the Isles or Jackets claim him

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:36 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
And the Rangers just lost a little bit of respect throughout the whole league. Players are going to think twice before accepting a contract from the Rangers, who will put you on waivers in 2 or 3 years without batting an eye.
now, had Redden actually played well, this statement may have some shred credibility, however since Redden had sucked balls for the last 4 years, your comment is without merit or understanding of a players mindset when they enter into contracts for multiple years.

Actually this will serve as notice that you still need to earn your way regardless of the bloated and undeserving contract.

There's an obligation both ways here and the Rangers are still holding up to their end of the obligation which is actually paying the contract, Redden has not lived up to his end of the obligation to play well enough to not only earn the money, but at the very very least earn a roster spot.

Your disdain for the Rangers financial strength is sickening.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:40 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
I think that when players signed to 1-way contracts are placed on waivers, the team that waived him should be forced to eventually place him on re-entry waivers as well.

Otherwise it just gives GMs that overpay for a player (ie. Redden, Finger, etc) a loophole to get out of their problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
So Redden has a sub-par final 2 yrs in Ottawa and still Glen $ather gives him that contract. Anyone wanna tell me why they shouldn't be stuck with Wade ?
Can you imagine if the NHL didn't have guaranteed contracts? Good god, the amount of crying would crash the boards.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:47 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I would laugh if the Isles or Jackets claim him
do teams have to reach the cap floor? or do they just need to reach it if they want to be involved in the revenue sharing?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
$6,500,000.00 CAP HIT!

He will ONLY be picked up on re-entry waivers in my opinion ($3,250,000.00)

I would love to see Gauthier take him on re-entry waivers ONLY if Hamrlik and Spacek are off the books.

Markov - Redden
Gorges - Subban
Gill - O'Byrne
You can not be serious.

Even at 3.25 M he is not worth it.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote