HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

defensive pairings

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2003, 10:48 AM
  #1
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado
 
billsandsabres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: troy, ny
Posts: 2,252
vCash: 500
defensive pairings

what have the pairings been for the preseason thus far and what is the outlook of the pairings come october 9?
the way i see it is

zhitnik-kalinin
mckee-delmore
campbell/patrick-tallinder

whats the deal?

billsandsabres is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:05 AM
  #2
Kozak72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Fitzpatrick should be around too. Its good to have some depth.

Kozak72 is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:25 AM
  #3
LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of Alberta
Posts: 2,649
vCash: 500
Kalinin cannot play RD. It's unpossible!

LALALALALALAFONTAINE is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:32 AM
  #4
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado
 
billsandsabres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: troy, ny
Posts: 2,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Kalinin cannot play RD. It's unpossible!
so what is the solution?

billsandsabres is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 12:01 PM
  #5
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Amerks #ROC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres
so what is the solution?

Usually Zhitnik plays RD with Kalinin on the left.

Rhett4 is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 12:53 PM
  #6
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,951
vCash: 500
Kalinin-Zhitnik
McKee-Tallinder
Campbell-Delmore

Takeo is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 05:18 PM
  #7
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado
 
billsandsabres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: troy, ny
Posts: 2,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
I may shift Tallinder and Delmore...Soup and Andy scare me together. I think whomever are starting goalie is would share in my feelings.
i'll second that one

billsandsabres is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 07:25 AM
  #8
TheGreatOne99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Williville
Posts: 191
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheGreatOne99 Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatOne99
Anyone else think they will just rotate 7? I don't thik Demore will log too many minuets outside of the powerplay.

TheGreatOne99 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 07:36 AM
  #9
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
I may shift Tallinder and Delmore...Soup and Andy scare me together. I think whomever are starting goalie is would share in my feelings.
But wouldn't pairing Delmore with McKee give him more even-strength ice time in general? That scares me just as much.

Takeo is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 08:13 AM
  #10
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado
 
billsandsabres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: troy, ny
Posts: 2,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOne99
Anyone else think they will just rotate 7? I don't thik Demore will log too many minuets outside of the powerplay.

do you mean durning the game or game to game rotation?

billsandsabres is offline  
Old
10-04-2003, 08:11 AM
  #11
Puddy
Registered User
 
Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: parts unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
Kalinin Zhitnik
Campbell Tallinder
Mckee Delmore

Patrick Fitzpatrick are spares/injury fill ins. They will get lots of time if this year was anything like last season in regards to injuries.

I think that Ruff will keep the ice time fairly even, unless on group stands out. He has enough for 3 solid pairings, and I would optimistically say that Buff has the second best defence group in the division, behind only the Senators. We should be light years ahead of the Leafs and Bruins. Second place in the division should definitely be a reality. Or am I over-estimating this crew?

Puddy is offline  
Old
10-04-2003, 08:15 AM
  #12
Mr Brownstone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 596 miles away
Country: United States
Posts: 4,904
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy
Kalinin Zhitnik
Campbell Tallinder
Mckee Delmore

Patrick Fitzpatrick are spares/injury fill ins. They will get lots of time if this year was anything like last season in regards to injuries.

I think that Ruff will keep the ice time fairly even, unless on group stands out. He has enough for 3 solid pairings, and I would optimistically say that Buff has the second best defence group in the division, behind only the Senators. We should be light years ahead of the Leafs and Bruins. Second place in the division should definitely be a reality. Or am I over-estimating this crew?
I see no overestimation Puddy. If Tallinder breaks out as I think he will, we have a highly talented and semi-potent defensive group. If Delmore can score 18 again or more and Zhitnik can hit the net once in a blue moon, we've got a defense capable of 35-40 tallies. It also will help that Alexei is in a contract year.

Mr Brownstone is offline  
Old
10-04-2003, 08:49 AM
  #13
TheGreatOne99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Williville
Posts: 191
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheGreatOne99 Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatOne99
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres
do you mean durning the game or game to game rotation?
during the game.

TheGreatOne99 is offline  
Old
10-04-2003, 09:23 AM
  #14
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresIn05
I see no overestimation Puddy. If Tallinder breaks out as I think he will, we have a highly talented and semi-potent defensive group. If Delmore can score 18 again or more and Zhitnik can hit the net once in a blue moon, we've got a defense capable of 35-40 tallies. It also will help that Alexei is in a contract year.
I am also optimistic about the scoring potential and mobility of the d-corps, but I'm also very concerned about their overall lack of toughness and Campbell and Delmore as defensive liabilities. The PP should be vastly improved, but even strength is another issue.

Takeo is offline  
Old
10-04-2003, 09:54 AM
  #15
Mr Brownstone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 596 miles away
Country: United States
Posts: 4,904
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
I am also optimistic about the scoring potential and mobility of the d-corps, but I'm also very concerned about their overall lack of toughness and Campbell and Delmore as defensive liabilities. The PP should be vastly improved, but even strength is another issue.
That's a good point about lack of toughness. That was the loss with Warrener. Well, that means Mair will have to help more in the corners, same as Pyatt and Peters. We have a lot of mobility and some good puck movers back there. Campbell can shine on D some nights, but I wouldn't pair Soupy and Delmore, bad theory.

This all equates to one thing, Biron or whoever starts needs to step it up.

Mr Brownstone is offline  
Old
10-04-2003, 10:02 AM
  #16
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,951
vCash: 500
Maybe...

Kalinin-Zhitnik
McKee-Campbell
Tallinder-Delmore

Takeo is offline  
Old
10-04-2003, 10:10 AM
  #17
Mr Brownstone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 596 miles away
Country: United States
Posts: 4,904
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Maybe...

Kalinin-Zhitnik
McKee-Campbell
Tallinder-Delmore
I liked the idea of Tally as a top 4.

Maybe try this.

Zhitnik-Delmore
Kalinin-Tallinder
McKee-Campbell

This way the first D pairing provides solid Zhitnik plus scoring punch, and Delmore who can move the biscuit. The 2nd provides the stalwart Kalinin with breakout candidate Tallinder. The third provides lurpy McKee the chance to stay back while Campbell rushes up ice. Sure it gives Delmore a lot of ice time, but it will also force Lindy to cut down Alex's workload as our season will be at least 2 weeks longer this year (playoffs!).

Mr Brownstone is offline  
Old
10-04-2003, 10:15 AM
  #18
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresIn05
I liked the idea of Tally as a top 4.

Maybe try this.

Zhitnik-Delmore
Kalinin-Tallinder
McKee-Campbell

This way the first D pairing provides solid Zhitnik plus scoring punch, and Delmore who can move the biscuit. The 2nd provides the stalwart Kalinin with breakout candidate Tallinder. The third provides lurpy McKee the chance to stay back while Campbell rushes up ice. Sure it gives Delmore a lot of ice time, but it will also force Lindy to cut down Alex's workload as our season will be at least 2 weeks longer this year (playoffs!).
Sorry, but there is no way in hell Delmore gets paired with Zhitnik. Theoretically, you're pairing our #1 and #6 d-men. Delmore was acquired as a PP specialist in the first place! Ruff needs to exploit his strengths (PP) and at the same time minimize the chances of getting burned by his weaknesses (D). #1 pairing ice-time is not the strategy for this.

If you want McKee in the 3rd pairing and Tallinder top 4, I'd go with...

Kalinin-Zhitnik
Campbell-Tallinder
McKee-Delmore

Now I think I've proposed every imaginable combination so I guess I'm just not sure.

Takeo is offline  
Old
10-04-2003, 10:23 AM
  #19
Mr Brownstone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 596 miles away
Country: United States
Posts: 4,904
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Sorry, but there is no way in hell Delmore gets paired with Zhitnik. Theoretically, you're pairing our #1 and #6 d-men. Delmore was acquired as a PP specialist in the first place! Ruff needs to exploit his strengths (PP) and at the same time his minimize the chances of getting burned by his weaknesses (D). #1 pairing ice-time is not the strategy for that.
If Delmore is so damn bad on defense why isn't he just a forward then who can play the point on the PP? Any way you look at it Delmore will be exposed often enough this year. As least Zhitnik would be able to save him more than any other defenseman on this team. I personally don't think McKee is quick enough to cover Delmore's mistakes. That would then force:

Kalinin-Zhitnik
McKee-Campbell
Tallinder-Delmore

And still McKee could possibly, if Campbell is caught and can't get back, be SOL. I think the way I set it up would be the most balanced ability wise. I understand you're point of Delmore with #1 pairing ice time, but this would force Ruff to balance the workload between all 3 defensive pairings. Zhitnik still gets his 23 or 24 a game with PK and PP, keeping Delmore around 18. McKee and Campbell around 18 or 19 each. Tallinder and Kalinin, the best all around pairing could shoulder the burden more so this way. Maybe you are right and I'm just wishfully thinking that Delmore isn't as bad defensively as advertised, but I think that Zhitnik in a contract year could hold up his responsibilities and Delmore's blown ones.

Mr Brownstone is offline  
Old
10-04-2003, 10:26 AM
  #20
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresIn05
If Delmore is so damn bad on defense why isn't he just a forward then who can play the point on the PP?
That's been discussed...

Takeo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.