HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sullivan and Suter to serve as Alternate Captains this season!

Old
09-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Sullivan and Suter to serve as Alternate Captains this season!

Quote:
Just got the heads up that sullivan and suter are the two alternate captains.
http://twitter.com/JoshuaCooper/status/24859852472

Great choices! This will be a very positive, very intense, and fun loving team this season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

My first 2 choices as well, cant wait till the puck drops. Congrats to them both!

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 01:44 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

poor leggy

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by predsicle420 View Post
poor leggy
No doubt in my mind he would have been #3. He'll get his shot once Sully is gone.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
No doubt in my mind he would have been #3. He'll get his shot once Sully is gone.
or he'll get traded in a few years ... you know how much the Preds *love* NHLPA reps

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Congrats to both of them, they deserve it more then anyone IMO.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 04:10 PM
dulzhok

Seem like good selections, but so much of this job is behind closed doors. Sure, some of it has to do with the play on the ice, but just as much has to do with interactions among teammates. So unless you are traveling with the team on a consistent basis and in the locker room every night, I don't really see how us as fans can give a educated opinion on who are the right choices.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 04:40 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Im not bashing either of the players that got the A love them both, i just think a player that has stuck around with a franchise for this long and cares more about the outcome of our teams results more than most fans and talks to the ref about any call no matter what he wears on his chest deserves an A. No he never lived up to his expectations but he is a pure predator player and is what he is (best d*mn fore/backchecker in the league) that i will never want to trade unless the right player came back which wont happen, and leggy is always the next A choice right in front of Marty. Never said he deserved a C but he wouldve been my choice if Weber wasnt such a hoss. And stats dont mean anything in leadership, btw, its character and i think leggy has plenty of that!

Last edited by Seth Lake: 09-20-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Cleaning up the thread
Old
09-20-2010, 01:03 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Obviously Poile offered him that deal and oh he didnt have a great season last year so what 99% of players have slump seasons including Leggy, so thats purely irrelevant. Im not bashing either of the players that got the A love them both, i just think a player that has stuck around with a franchise for this long and cares more about the outcome of our teams results more than most fans and talks to the ref about any call no matter what he wears on his chest deserves an A. No he never lived up to his expectations but he is a pure predator player and is what he is (best d*mn fore/backchecker in the league) that i will never want to trade unless the right player came back which wont happen, and leggy is always the next A choice right in front of Marty. Never said he deserved a C but he wouldve been my choice if Weber wasnt such a hoss. And stats dont mean anything in leadership, btw, its character and i think leggy has plenty of that!
Agreed

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 05:58 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Good choices. I thought it would be between Sully, Suter, and Legwand for the two As. I also agree with Predsicle, but that debate is futile.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Obviously Poile offered him that deal and oh he didnt have a great season last year so what 99% of players have slump seasons including Leggy, so thats purely irrelevant. Im not bashing either of the players that got the A love them both, i just think a player that has stuck around with a franchise for this long and cares more about the outcome of our teams results more than most fans and talks to the ref about any call no matter what he wears on his chest deserves an A. No he never lived up to his expectations but he is a pure predator player and is what he is (best d*mn fore/backchecker in the league) that i will never want to trade unless the right player came back which wont happen, and leggy is always the next A choice right in front of Marty. Never said he deserved a C but he wouldve been my choice if Weber wasnt such a hoss. And stats dont mean anything in leadership, btw, its character and i think leggy has plenty of that!
Not agreed.

Also, how does one come to the conclusion that Legwand is the "best d*mn fore/backchecker in the league."

Also, since when does "talking to the refs" equate to great character?

Truth of the matter is we don't know the real interactions between players, unless there is a "Real World: Nashville Predators" that I'm unaware of. Sure, you can make a very loose guess that because some people have seen him "talking at practice" this means he's such a great leader, but that is a very loose guess.

Biggest reason I'm not surprise isn't not Legwand is he hasn't played up to the same caliber of hockey since he's signed his big deal. I'm not talking just stats. When he got that contract, he was willing to battle it out, go the front of the net and take a beating, even if it meant he was gonna be on his a**. That willingness has disappeared until last playoffs, and he's largely a permiter player now. He's still a "serviceable" player, but not near as effective as he was in his contract year.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 09-20-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Removed inflammatory sections, but leaving majority of Dulzhok's opinion
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Also, one of the primary jobs of the captain and the alternates is to talk to the refs.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 09-20-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Not necessary
triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:34 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Also, one of the primary jobs of the captain and the alternates is to talk to the refs.
i thought it was to yeall and scream at them and take unsportsmanlike penalties for berating officials...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 09-20-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Edited quote
token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Not agreed.

Also, how does one come to the conclusion that Legwand is the "best d*mn fore/backchecker in the league."

Also, since when does "talking to the refs" equate to great character?

Truth of the matter is we don't know the real interactions between players, unless there is a "Real World: Nashville Predators" that I'm unaware of. Sure, you can make a very loose guess that because some people have seen him "talking at practice" this means he's such a great leader, but that is a very loose guess.

Biggest reason I'm not surprise isn't not Legwand is he hasn't played up to the same caliber of hockey since he's signed his big deal. I'm not talking just stats. When he got that contract, he was willing to battle it out, go the front of the net and take a beating, even if it meant he was gonna be on his a**. That willingness has disappeared until last playoffs, and he's largely a permiter player now. He's still a "serviceable" player, but not near as effective as he was in his contract year.
Sheesh. Im hardly the guy's biggest fan, but come on. He isn't worth his cash, but he's better than "servicable". While he leaves much to be desired in of O zone, I feel like he contributes so much defensively that often goes unnoticed.

P.S. I would love to see this line:

Leggy - Lombardi - Sully

the sheer speed.....

Last edited by Seth Lake: 09-20-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 04:38 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
A captain needs to be able to inspire his teammates, especially the younger ones, and lead by example. He also needs to have a decent amount of hockey knowledge in order to be an effective ambassador for the team to the referees. The alternates need similar characteristics. They will typically be guys who are leaders, but maybe aren't ready to be the leader. Stats, contracts, history of womanizing, bad hair, yellow teeth, acne. These are all things that don't factor into the equation in the least. Dulz is right in saying that, for the most part, we are fans who draw conclusions based on quotes in the media, twitter posts, and the occasional "insider". It also works both ways. Just because you don't like a player doesn't mean you know he isn't a good candidate for an alternate captaincy. In this case he was passed over by two players who may be more comfortable with leadership, but it doesn't mean Legwand would be a bad A.

P.S. I don't happen to think Legwand is the best defensive forward in the league, but I do happen to know that he is the best defensive forward in Nashville. When it's all said and done, do any other teams really matter?

Last edited by Seth Lake: 09-20-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Not necessary
TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
OK, we had our Legwand debate. Both sides let their opinion be known. It's now over.

This thread is to discuss Sullivan and Suter being named as alternate captains. Any continued Legwand debate will get you thread banned at a minimum...

Let's get back on-topic...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 09-20-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Thread re-opened for PROPER use
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:42 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Any word on the Ad's C and A's?

Old
09-25-2010, 11:42 AM
FanGirl10

It's true that I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion. And if we can't have opinions, why the heck are we posting on a message board. (remembering now why I've stayed away for 2 years).

That said, I understand why Weber is C. He's young, he's starting to be recognized in the NHL community (FINALLY) and he has always been one to chirp on the bench. I hear him the few times a year I get to sit behind the bench.

Sullivan is a natural choice for A. He clearly has the respect, seniority, and personality. Community events, practices, etc he's always there as a positive spokesman for the team.

The 2nd A I don't necessarily agree with. Suter may very well be a leader in the locker room - I'm not there I don't know - but he's never come across to me as personable or as someone who is looking out for anyone other than himself and may Weber. He's got the last name of Suter and my few interactions with him have left me with the impression he feels entitled. I don't question his work ethic. Just his leadership.

Legwand and Erat may not have wanted the A, but I would have chosen either of them over Suter. Legwand has been with the team the longest certainly, but both he and Erat can be seen on the ice guiding the others - talking to the others, etc. They aren't yelling with a bullhorn, but skating up beside their temmates offering instruction and encouragement. Quietly. Would have chosen one of them.

Weber and Suter may be the "foundation" of this team that we're building around, but Erat and Legwand aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They're the new veterans once Dumont and Sullivan are out the door.

FanGirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 12:49 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanGirl10 View Post
It's true that I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion. And if we can't have opinions, why the heck are we posting on a message board. (remembering now why I've stayed away for 2 years).

That said, I understand why Weber is C. He's young, he's starting to be recognized in the NHL community (FINALLY) and he has always been one to chirp on the bench. I hear him the few times a year I get to sit behind the bench.

Sullivan is a natural choice for A. He clearly has the respect, seniority, and personality. Community events, practices, etc he's always there as a positive spokesman for the team.

The 2nd A I don't necessarily agree with. Suter may very well be a leader in the locker room - I'm not there I don't know - but he's never come across to me as personable or as someone who is looking out for anyone other than himself and may Weber. He's got the last name of Suter and my few interactions with him have left me with the impression he feels entitled. I don't question his work ethic. Just his leadership.

Legwand and Erat may not have wanted the A, but I would have chosen either of them over Suter. Legwand has been with the team the longest certainly, but both he and Erat can be seen on the ice guiding the others - talking to the others, etc. They aren't yelling with a bullhorn, but skating up beside their temmates offering instruction and encouragement. Quietly. Would have chosen one of them.

Weber and Suter may be the "foundation" of this team that we're building around, but Erat and Legwand aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They're the new veterans once Dumont and Sullivan are out the door.
Having interactions with players outside of the locker room and the ice will never give us a feel of who a leader is or isn't in the locker room. That's the unfortunate part of this sort of thing. We have interactions with these guys here and there but what goes on in the locker room and on the ice is totally different than what these guys have to do as players interacting with fans.

My understanding is Ryan is a pretty shy guy off the ice and while he may not be as personable as one may not like, it doesn't mean he's not a leader on the ice.

I can say this, if you watched the Olympics, you'll see the leader he was on the ice for the US team playing against the best lines and players.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:37 PM
FanGirl10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I can say this, if you watched the Olympics, you'll see the leader he was on the ice for the US team playing against the best lines and players.
I did see that. I haven't seen it here. Maybe he's not held as accountable. Just my opinion.

Also - how as "on ice" any less important than off?

Old
09-25-2010, 04:25 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
I did see that. I haven't seen it here. Maybe he's not held as accountable. Just my opinion.

Also - how as "on ice" any less important than off?
Once again, because you haven't seen it doesn't make it so. What happens behind closed doors is something none of us get to see.

He gets paid to be a player on the ice. How he interacts with people off of it has no bearing to me as to how effective of a leader he can be on it. Just because your interactions with him have not been to your liking don't mean he's less or not qualified to be wear the "A" on his chest.

I was trying to explain, and probably didn't do a good job of it, but some people don't have the greatest of social skills around people they don't know. Not all athletes are comfortable around groups of people or fans. Some guys have that skill and others don't. Maybe in a small room of 20 or 23 guys he does just fine because he's comfortable and that's why he's got the "A". Maybe their giving it to him and Weber since both their contracts are coming up due in the next few years and they are giving them a commitment to be leaders of the team so they want to come back when their contracts are up.

Honestly, any time I've seen a guy with a C or an A on their chest for this team I try to base it upon what I can see and what they do on the ice. I have to let other things I can't see go by the way side, like behind closed doors, because I really have no clue as to what's going on there.

As far as the choices go, I'm fine with them. It will be interesting to see who gets the A next year if Sully doesn't re-sign as well.

Old
09-25-2010, 10:50 PM
FanGirl10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Once again, because you haven't seen it doesn't make it so. What happens behind closed doors is something none of us get to see...
Ok. I see exactly what you're saying. You've given your opinion and I've given mine. That's what a discussion board is for.

Don't worry, I'll wait another two years before I come back.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:04 PM
predfan98

you know, it's her opinion...... and just cause you don't agree with it.......saying just "Once again, because you haven't seen it doesn't make it so"---------take your cutting arrogance down a notch...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:13 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
you know, it's her opinion...... and just cause you don't agree with it.......saying just "Once again, because you haven't seen it doesn't make it so"---------take your cutting arrogance down a notch...
She and I were having a discussion. If she doesn't want to come back for another 2 years then so be it. I won't lose any sleep over it.

And it's not arrogance, it's people thinking anyone in sports or entertainment have to always put a shiny face on for any fan when the fan feels it necessary and you know what, they're people just like us, they have good and bad days.

She expressed her opinion, I've expressed mine, don't know why you've felt the need to get in the middle of it and make a personal attack.

Old
10-11-2010, 08:54 PM
glenngineer

Quote:

So after reading the article on Weber and the change in captain for us, do you still believe that Suter isn't a leader in the locker room? Trotz basically came out and said everyone followed Weber, Suter and Sullivan as the season wore on last year. When the coach comes out and says it, I'm gonna have to believe in what he's saying, especially when you've got Weber, Sullivan and Suter in the same sentence like that.

Sorry your interactions with Suter have left a bad taste in your mouth and I am truly sorry about that. Just hope that after reading the article that you might give Suter another chance.