HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster Cuts Thread

Old
09-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Smyth-Kopitar-Brown
Parse-Stoll-Williams
Poni-Handzus-Simmonds
Richardson-Schenn-Westgarth
Ex: Lewis, Moller

Mitchell-Doughty
Johnson-Scuderi
Hickey-Drewiske
Fransson

Quick/Bernier
Murray and Lombardi both like having a lightweight/pest That means Clune or Zeiler is making the team.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:23 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
The difference between Clune and Cliffy to me isn't that they both will fight or agitate or run around and generally get things going, the difference to me is where they will flesh out as NHLers. Clune is pretty good and I like him, I want to see him on the team but Cliffy is capable of doing what he does and still has the ability to be much more given time and opportunity.

I still see Cliffy getting sent down before Clune but, I posted what I thought could happen or wanted to see happen. We are truly neck deep in character guys and that is a great thing, I just want to see us make a serious effort to develop skill guys too but is another discussion.
Yeah, I agree with that. Clune is going to chip in the occasional goal, but he is pretty much a straight forward agitator.

Clifford is more of a physical presence than an agitator. Agitator's are a dime a dozen. Clifford has the abilities to become more of a poor man's Dustin Brown. Maybe better, who knows.

He just needs to get his head on straight and start showing it. I know he wants to be noticed and all of that, I just think he is going about it the wrong way. He needs to take these pre-season games and just play his game. His game is not trying to drop the gloves with everyone that has a pulse.

If the situation was reversed, and someone was sucker-punching one of our guys, people would be singing a different tune. You just don't start punching a guy that doesn't want to fight (and this includes enforcers) unless you are giving retribution for a dirty hit or something.

Heavyweights don't like fighting non-heavies, especially a kid trying to make a name for himself. Ivanans was the same way. I remember him telling someone not to drop the gloves, they did anyways and got beat down.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
that's not too shabby.
But i would stay away from it. This would be 3 natural centers on one line.
But still an interesting combination.

Time will tell.

My most concern is Parse - Stoll - Williams.
That line looks like they put any garbage together they find.
Williams is handled like he is gone soon because of his contract. Parse has to show
something he can't do IMO and jeah they added Stoll because someone has to play center and they don't wanna waste some serious talent.
2nd lines going to surprise a LOT of people....and in a good way.
Parse-20 g Stoll-20g Williams-25g

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:25 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Smyth-Kopitar-Brown
Parse-Stoll-Williams
Poni-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford-Schenn-Richardson
Ex: Westgarth, Moller/Lewis

Mitchell-Doughty
Johnson-Scuderi
Hickey-Drewiske
Ex: Fransson

IR:Greene

Quick/Bernier

Loktionov needs 1 more year to dominate in Manch. Westgarth plays only when we absolutely need a heavyweight in the lineup. Cliff can take care of business otherwise.
Clifford's going back to Barrie..

Well.. we're talking about Zeiler and Clune as pests, why can't Clifford be in that discussion? The guy can throw down, put the puck in the net and be a pest.. Plus he's got size, something both Clune & Zeiler lack.. I still think Clifford needs another year in juniors though, that's what will give Clune or Zeiler the better opportunity for the job.

I still don't think Parse has that spot locked up, Loktionov is going to push him and the coaching staff will make a tough decision.

Richardson-Schenn-Lewis
Clune, Westgarth

That's my guess and I'm sticking with it

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:32 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Yeah, I agree with that. Clune is going to chip in the occasional goal, but he is pretty much a straight forward agitator.

Clifford is more of a physical presence than an agitator. Agitator's are a dime a dozen. Clifford has the abilities to become more of a poor man's Dustin Brown. Maybe better, who knows.

He just needs to get his head on straight and start showing it. I know he wants to be noticed and all of that, I just think he is going about it the wrong way. He needs to take these pre-season games and just play his game. His game is not trying to drop the gloves with everyone that has a pulse.

If the situation was reversed, and someone was sucker-punching one of our guys, people would be singing a different tune. You just don't start punching a guy that doesn't want to fight (and this includes enforcers) unless you are giving retribution for a dirty hit or something.

Heavyweights don't like fighting non-heavies, especially a kid trying to make a name for himself. Ivanans was the same way. I remember him telling someone not to drop the gloves, they did anyways and got beat down.
Excellent points.

I am a fan of brawling in fact that is an understatement in some ways and totally agree with you about Cliffy's poor decision making at times when it comes to the ruff stuff. I also totally agree with you on his need to begin to simply play his game and by that I mean his *entire* game including his offencive abilities to get noticed and that if he did he would make the impression that he needs to be making.

The fact that he is spending so much time trying to establish his character game shows that he is playing like a kid who needs a little seasoning whether in the A or as an extra on the Kings.

Clune plays with a ton of heart and that isn't to be discounted either. Can he consistently play his true game is the question.

For my money though, I will continue to bang the drum that I have been banging for a couple of seasons now and that is that Westy has a very nice 3rd/4rth line offencive skill set and that he will continue to surprise people who are expecting a run of the mill goon.

Once he gets his feet wet I can see KW easily becoming a 15/15 guy who still pitches in with his fighting ability. He is cut from a solid mold.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:35 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I am not a fan of TZ's game on or off the ice.

Last edited by etherialone: 09-25-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old
09-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
From Rich Hammond at lakingsinsider.com

"Who tested best, among the Kings, in their pre-camp physical testing? Based on about 10 different on- and off-ice tests, here is the top five…

1. Rich Clune
2. Dustin Brown
3. Andrei Loktionov
4. Kyle Clifford
5. Justin Williams"

interesting...

will be an interesting battle between clune/clifford for that agitator spot. and parse will definitely have to watch his arse for loktionov.

Last edited by Cook24: 09-25-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:39 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Especially when you consider the value that our management puts into physical conditioning. Doubly so that they entered camp in this kind of shape.

Clune will have to blow it to get cut. Especially when you consider who his room mates were this summer.

Old
09-25-2010, 02:53 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Clune plays with a ton of heart and that isn't to be discounted either. Can he consistently play his true game is the question.
Yeah, but alot of agitators around the league play with heart. As much as you may hate those guys, they are loved by their teammates for a reason. Just off the top of my head:

Carcillo, Ott, Clutterbuck, Mike Brown, Tootoo, Lapierre, Neil, Nichol, Gag-Burrows-gag. They are hated for a reason, but loved by teammates.

Always a couple of bad apples like Avery and Jarkko Ruuttu who are questionable teammates.

Old
09-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Yeah, but alot of agitators around the league play with heart. As much as you may hate those guys, they are loved by their teammates for a reason. Just off the top of my head:

Carcillo, Ott, Clutterbuck, Mike Brown, Tootoo, Lapierre, Neil, Nichol, Gag-Burrows-gag. They are hated for a reason, but loved by teammates.

Always a couple of bad apples like Avery and Jarkko Ruuttu who are questionable teammates.
Don't forget Parros(loved by teamates).

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:57 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Don't forget Parros(loved by teamates).
He falls under enforcer, not agitator.

Old
09-25-2010, 02:59 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I love the each of those guys play and appreciate how important their roles are to the game. I am glad that we are so uber deep in these types of players. Its now a matter of time before the cream rises to the top.

Old
09-25-2010, 03:28 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Especially when you consider the value that our management puts into physical conditioning. Doubly so that they entered camp in this kind of shape.

Clune will have to blow it to get cut. Especially when you consider who his room mates were this summer.
I'm sure Dean Lombardi and Terry Murray don't care who Rich Clunes roommates are. He probably shouldn't be on the squad. He doesn't even tilly.. He basically just grabs whoever he fights and.. well.. it looks NOT straight...

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:31 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Once he gets his feet wet I can see KW easily becoming a 15/15 guy who still pitches in with his fighting ability. He is cut from a solid mold.
Nice to see you on the boards finally, Mr. Westgarth.

Old
09-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Martyros

Quote:
He falls under enforcer, not agitator.
Ah, i missed that.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:37 PM
DeeMeck

I think you will find that pretty much all enforcers are good teammates, and pranksters.

Old
09-25-2010, 03:43 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
I think you will find that pretty much all enforcers are good teammates, and pranksters.
For the most part. Shouldn't hold any weight on whether or not they dress.

"Yeah, we really liked Westys prank on Kopi last week.. So we figured we'd give him another chance."

Old
09-25-2010, 03:48 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
For the most part. Shouldn't hold any weight on whether or not they dress.

"Yeah, we really liked Westys prank on Kopi last week.. So we figured we'd give him another chance."
I just meant in general, the enforcers are usually the pranksters in the room. With the exception of Hawk.

Old
09-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Once he gets his feet wet I can see KW easily becoming a 15/15 guy who still pitches in with his fighting ability.
15/15 what ? 15 points ? maybe, but doubtful

15 Goals ? what are you smoking bud ?

granted I guess he got close in the AHL, but dude, that's the AHL.

I think if he can pull off 5/10 or maybe 5/15 in the NHL while still being a heavy weight fighter we'll have hit pay dirt and we'll all love him, but come on 15 goals ? you're approaching the lose ALL your credibility status with a comment like that

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:36 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
15/15 what ? 15 points ? maybe, but doubtful

15 Goals ? what are you smoking bud ?

granted I guess he got close in the AHL, but dude, that's the AHL.

I think if he can pull off 5/10 or maybe 5/15 in the NHL while still being a heavy weight fighter we'll have hit pay dirt and we'll all love him, but come on 15 goals ? you're approaching the lose ALL your credibility status with a comment like that
Lets give him a two seasons with the big club and see how close he gets, deal?

Give KW two full seasons in the NHL and lets see how close he gets to scoring 15 goals,deal?

Old
09-25-2010, 04:39 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Westgarth won't score more than 5 goals in an NHL season. If he does DL should reward him with a 20 year contract extension.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
You can essentially remove Ray Kaunisto from the active roster, which puts the number of healthy players in camp down to 32. Kaunisto suffered a lower-body injury during one of the road preseason games, and injured players cannot technically be assigned, but Kaunisto will go to Manchester.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:40 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I'm sure Dean Lombardi and Terry Murray don't care who Rich Clunes roommates are. He probably shouldn't be on the squad. He doesn't even tilly.. He basically just grabs whoever he fights and.. well.. it looks NOT straight...
I have a question for you, who do you think assigns players to bunk together on the road? Do you think that the team assigns players to live together at certain points in their careers?

If your answer is no then you would be completely wrong.

Old
09-25-2010, 04:43 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

To the KW detractors lets just give him a couple of seasons and see what happens.

Old
09-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Johnny Utah

Westgarth is going to be playing most of the time, you can assume the 4th line is Westy-???-Richardson....

The real battle is for the center spot between those two and the spare LW/RW spot that can occasionally replace the center if he struggles (Richie can then move there) or sub in for Westy against soft teams.

I still say it's either Schenn/Lewis as the center and Clune as the spare winger.

Richie-Lewis-Westgarth
Richie-Schenn-Westgarth

Against tough teams...

Clune-Richardson-Westy

Against soft teams...

Clune-Lewis/Schenn-Richardson

Then there is also the wild card of injuries or Parse sucking, but I think that is a separate battle between him and Moller and won't effect these guys.

Both Hextall and Lombardi want a tough 4th line that have brought up Eager-Madden-Burrish before...and Terry Murray likes having an enforcer so please stop putting up 4th lines of Richie-Schenn-Lewis or whatever...Not under Philly management and coaching. Thank god.

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 09-25-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote