HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Current state of Keith Primeau

Old
09-25-2010, 03:50 PM
decadentia

vCash: 500
Current state of Keith Primeau

Just curious if anyone has heard anything about Keith lately, was a big fan of his. Is his health getting better? I remember it still giving him issues quite late (unfortunately common with concussions)

One other question, any books/websites on the history of the Flyers? Particularly stories maybe behind the scenes, Primeau and players ousting a coach, Lindros debacles etc I know a little bit about them all, but would love to know more.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:58 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 569
Here are some replies from a similar thread about Flyers' reference books: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ht=books+reads

Also, the Wall Street Journal did an article relating to concussions a few days ago and Primeau was mentioned:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...509916080.html

Quote:
What is certain, Dr. Stern said, is that a person who suffers one concussion is more susceptible to another. Keith Primeau would seem living proof of that. Mr. Primeau, who spent 15 seasons in the National Hockey League before retiring in 2006 at age 34 because of post-concussion effects, has agreed to posthumously donate his brain to BU's medical school so head trauma experts can study it.

Mr. Primeau doesn't know how many concussions he has sustained since he began playing ice hockey as a boy. "It's north of 10," he said in a phone interview. His last occurred in October 2005 while he was with the Philadelphia Flyers.

The previous year, though, Mr. Primeau had missed 21 games because of a concussion before coming back in time for the playoffs.

"That's the biggest dilemma," said Mr. Primeau, who still suffers severe headaches and fatigue from time to time. "A trainer goes to a player and says, 'How do you feel?' If you're competitive by nature, you don't give the honest truth. Try to tell a competitive, professional athlete—whether it's hockey or baseball or football or whatever—to tell the honest truth. You're probably not going to get it. And that's what players have to come to understand: There is a consequence to that decision."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:58 PM
flyersguy33*

Saw Keith a couple of times over the summer at Pennsauken Skate Zone when I was doing my internship. He was working in the back of his snack bar.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:00 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
Saw Keith a couple of times over the summer at Pennsauken Skate Zone when I was doing my internship. He was working in the back of his snack bar.
He coaches there a lot too. One of the Comcast teams, I think. I haven't spoken with him, but he's out there on the ice running drills for the kids all the time, so I suppose he can't be doing too bad.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:05 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
He coaches there a lot too. One of the Comcast teams, I think. I haven't spoken with him, but he's out there on the ice running drills for the kids all the time, so I suppose he can't be doing too bad.
Yea he was out there coaching a few times. So was Briere.

Old
09-25-2010, 05:14 PM
DUHockey9

I think he also holds a position with the Las Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL and either still is or was coaching their D. My friend signed with Las Vegas after his NCAA last year and Primeau was the one who spoke to him and convinced him to come. He signed with them again for this season.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
He does coach a Comcast team, along with Hatcher. The science teacher I work with has a son that played for Hatcher last year. Most of the Comcast teams would travel to the same tournaments so she was around them a lot and would go to bars/restaurants together. She said some times he still feels the effects of the PCS just going about his daily life. She said that Keith isn't supposed to drink at all because of how bad it is. If he has even one beer it effects him like ten times the amount of a non-concussed person. She said every once in a while he would anyway.

She also mentioned that the most exercise he does is when he is on the ice coaching, any kind of intense cardio is out of the question. She did mention that he will go to different places and speak about the dangers of concussions and the effects they can have on someone, which I think is awesome that he is going out and being an advocate about the situation. I wouldn't expect anything less out of a great Flyers captain.

Superman33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 06:51 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I still really wish things didn't end the way that they did for him.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Seguins Dragon*

During his entire run with the Flyers, he was my favorite player... bar none.

He erased any memories of Lindros for me, espically during that 2004 playoffs...

I used to call him Keith "Steamo" Primeau

One of my all time favorites, its a shame his career was cut so short.

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 07:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Does he still work for the Las Vegas Wranglers or whatever? That's the last time I heard from him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman33 View Post
He does coach a Comcast team, along with Hatcher. The science teacher I work with has a son that played for Hatcher last year. Most of the Comcast teams would travel to the same tournaments so she was around them a lot and would go to bars/restaurants together. She said some times he still feels the effects of the PCS just going about his daily life. She said that Keith isn't supposed to drink at all because of how bad it is. If he has even one beer it effects him like ten times the amount of a non-concussed person. She said every once in a while he would anyway.

She also mentioned that the most exercise he does is when he is on the ice coaching, any kind of intense cardio is out of the question. She did mention that he will go to different places and speak about the dangers of concussions and the effects they can have on someone, which I think is awesome that he is going out and being an advocate about the situation. I wouldn't expect anything less out of a great Flyers captain.
It is such a shame that it had to be that way... I'll always remember him and Roenick coming back early and giving their all for the team, their teammates and the fans... as well as for the game of hockey itself. It seems to me that some of it must go by the player as well as the concussions and coming back too soon from a concussion. J.R. took his share and always came back quickly yet never seemed to be troubled with PCS nor being concussed easily... Kapanen would take shots like in that game OT clincher vs the Leafs yet not seem to be effected by them. I suppose there are people who are just more susceptible to them... Unless it is that Premeau just had too too many in his youth Seven and in time he paid. Of course Lindros also seemed to be troubled with his multiple concussions, while Gagne was but then was past the problems and able to continue his career without PCS concerns.

I was a fan of Primeau from the first shift as a Flyer... I pointed out to my son how I loved the way he would come out on the ice and immediately make his presence felt with a quick and solid hit... how he would set te tone for his teammates and get them going. I liked how he came in in 2000 and in Lindros' absence quietly took over the team -- even though it was handed to Desjardines officially -- and led them to within a game of the Finals... until they fell apart when Lindros came into the picture again and the team went into a standby mode and let the Devils back into it, and watched them take it from them... From that season on I loved Primeau's game and respected his leadership and how he stood up for his teammates and took the shots for them when there was that backlash over the Barber coup.

I hate that he had to retire so young and with unfinished business left on the ice... I admire how he didn't give up. Ultimately though, for him and his family I wished he had retired long before and was not now in the condition he is in.

I hope that he decides to take his leadership skills and knowledge to behind an NHL bench -- preferably the Flyers' bench -- and is a success as a head coach or in front office management.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 05:04 PM
decadentia

Appreciate all the comments, and as always MSE, you are a wealth of information.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 11:51 PM
FlyerCub

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
One other question, any books/websites on the history of the Flyers? Particularly stories maybe behind the scenes, Primeau and players ousting a coach, Lindros debacles etc I know a little bit about them all, but would love to know more.
There's a new one that came out this week as part of a new sports series called 100 Things Flyers Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die. It's filled with short 2-3 page segments on various subjects. It's not too in depth due to the way the book is structured to touch on 100 things, but another nice addition to several Flyers related releases over the past few years.

It's out of print, but there are usually copies of Full Spectrum at the Flyers Wives Carnival every year. (I suspect they have stock stashed somewhere.) That's probably the best comprehensive in depth Flyers book out there.

FlyerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Villedelphia*

My little brother played hockey with the son of an NHL linesman who once told me a kinda funny Keith Primeau story:
The linesman called Keith offsides during some game, and Keith strongly disagreed with the call and had some words with the linesman. So the linesman said they would check the tape during intermission, and if he was offsides Keith owed him an autographed jersey. After review Keith was definitely offsides but he never gave the linesman the autographed jersey.
So the next time this linesman ref'd a flyers game, he kicked Keith out of the faceoff circle every single time. Then at intermission Hitchcock asked the linesman what the h was going on, so the linesman told him the story, and by the start of the 2nd period Primeau got him an autographed jersey.

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Last time I checked he was a assistant coach at Bishop Eustace High School.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:28 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
My little brother played hockey with the son of an NHL linesman who once told me a kinda funny Keith Primeau story:
The linesman called Keith offsides during some game, and Keith strongly disagreed with the call and had some words with the linesman. So the linesman said they would check the tape during intermission, and if he was offsides Keith owed him an autographed jersey. After review Keith was definitely offsides but he never gave the linesman the autographed jersey.
So the next time this linesman ref'd a flyers game, he kicked Keith out of the faceoff circle every single time. Then at intermission Hitchcock asked the linesman what the h was going on, so the linesman told him the story, and by the start of the 2nd period Primeau got him an autographed jersey.
that is awesome haha

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:18 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Last time I checked he was a assistant coach at Bishop Eustace High School.
Dont know if that is the case anymore. When I was over there this summer, they would sometimes be on the ice before us in the mornings and he was not out there. There were a few times I saw him working at his snack bar and he would leave with his hockey stuff so maybe he was going to coach Comcast or BE.

Old
09-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

He is still a consultant or special assistant or whatever for the Wranglers and still owns a Bain's Deli or two. He has made some TV appearances and been involved with some developmental teams. Overall he seems to be doing a lot better but I doubt the symptoms will ever subside completely. When I think about guys like him and Lindros and Roenick and Andre Waters I almost feel guilty enjoying contact sports.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
He is still a consultant or special assistant or whatever for the Wranglers and still owns a Bain's Deli or two. He has made some TV appearances and been involved with some developmental teams. Overall he seems to be doing a lot better but I doubt the symptoms will ever subside completely. When I think about guys like him and Lindros and Roenick and Andre Waters I almost feel guilty enjoying contact sports.
I know I have second thoughts about all the years I was a Prize Fighting fan... all the time I hoped for and enjoyed a knock out. I had no idea at the time that every KO was a concussion... nor did I realize what a concussion really was in what it does to a person's brain. And this fighters would not only be held out of physical activity after a knock down, but often would continue fighting... there were at times many knock down in a bout or even round. There were not always a three knockdown rule in all jurisdictions.

When I was in high school many decades ago our star center from our Championship team was held out games the following year, also a Championship season, for blacking out and they tried to get him back playing... I don't believe they shut him totally down, but at least he was not suited for games after a point in time... Sad to say that even then not as much was known as we would think would have been.

When I was a kid watching TV and movies we would often see a guy get 'knocked out' by a rap to the back of the skull by a pistol or rifle but... We thought that it was just a way to put a person 'to sleep' for a few minutes. It is a wonder that many kids didn't use that tactic in real life thinking that it was not a permanently damaging thing.

I think that the Lindros injuries greatly helped me and many get a little grasp on concussions... and since then, over the last dozen or so years, much has been learned and happy to say we now see some more concern and protection for concussed players and to protect all players from possible concussions.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote