HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gudbranson

Old
09-25-2010, 03:41 AM
Gudbranson44

vCash: 500
I have a feeling that we will have a trade before the season begins... either that or a player of ours will be claimed off waivers... i love what santo has done so far, and I consider him to be in a better position to grab the 2nd/3rd center role than matthias as of right now.. if only there was a taker for reino.....

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:35 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
We don't have an adequate replacement for Allen at this time, and we can't afford to lose his physical play and toughness on this roster. I want to see how he plays now that we're 2 years past his knee surgery.
Clearly, Gudbranson would be the replacement. Allen is probably more tradeable than Weaver or Paetsch.

Also Ellerby could potentially fill that role as well.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:42 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

i dont like the thought of getting rid of allen right now. i think his value will be much better at the end of this season assuming his play improves now that his knee should be 100%. i cant see keeping 8 dmen up with the club. as much as we all want the future now, i think we have to accept that it will be in everyones best interest for guds to go back to juniors.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
I'd like to see Gudbranson get the 9 games then go back to Juniors. Play McCabe, Wideman, Kulikov, Allen, Garrison, and Weaver.

Weaver is on the smaller side, but is the most underrated penalty-killer in the NHL. He's a great signing, and he and Reasoner are going to really help out our 23rd ranked PK.

Then send Ellerby back down to Roch for #1 minutes and keep Paetsch up with the Panthers. His versatility in playing both forward and defense will prove helpful once minor injuries start taking their toll.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:45 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Clearly, Gudbranson would be the replacement. Allen is probably more tradeable than Weaver or Paetsch.

Also Ellerby could potentially fill that role as well.
Down the road, yes, but not right now. No way should an 18 year old kid have to fight some of the best NHL enforcers, especially when we want Gudbranson to focus on continuing to develop an offensive game.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Laus723
Future Now

If Gudbranson earns a spot, he earns a spot, especially if he's playing well. What's the point of sending him down if he doesn't need to be sent? It's one thing if he doesn't earn it, or does and then struggles, but...

09-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
i dont like the thought of getting rid of allen right now. i think his value will be much better at the end of this season assuming his play improves now that his knee should be 100%. i cant see keeping 8 dmen up with the club. as much as we all want the future now, i think we have to accept that it will be in everyones best interest for guds to go back to juniors.
Paetsch can play forward too. I think it may come down to who do we keep up with the big club, Gud or Santorelli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
If Gudbranson earns a spot, he earns a spot, especially if he's playing well. What's the point of sending him down if he doesn't need to be sent? It's one thing if he doesn't earn it, or does and then struggles, but...
Well, he can play well, and it still at the same time could be evident that he needs to develop his offensive game more and that would be better done in junior. They'll probably need the 9 games to decide.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Paetsch can play forward too. I think it may come down to who do we keep up with the big club, Gud or Santorelli.

Well, he can play well, and it still at the same time could be evident that he needs to develop his offensive game more and that would be better done in junior. They'll probably need the 9 games to decide.
That's fine, I just think some are being overly cautious with the talk of him going back down, worked for Kulikov to stay up, same with Frolik a couple seasons ago. If it's best for him, fine, but it may be best that he stay up is all.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
That's fine, I just think some are being overly cautious with the talk of him going back down, worked for Kulikov to stay up, same with Frolik a couple seasons ago. If it's best for him, fine, but it may be best that he stay up is all.
I agree, I think its best he stays up if he earns it and so far in camp he's really showing his stuff. I don't think it will be a mistake to keep him up cause he won't get top pairing minutes(which could stall his progress) to start his NHL career. He will likely be a bottom pairing guy at least in the beginning.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I agree, I think its best he stays up if he earns it and so far in camp he's really showing his stuff. I don't think it will be a mistake to keep him up cause he won't get top pairing minutes(which could stall his progress) to start his NHL career. He will likely be a bottom pairing guy at least in the beginning.
Time to update that signature Beezer. Horton and Ballard are no longer.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
True, but the difference with those two guys was they already had the offensive part down, which is harder to learn than defense. I'm a firm believer that that part of your game can get stunted in the NHL if a player is rushed too soon, especially for a d-man. With Kuli and Frolik it was the opposite, Kuli just needed to sharpen the defense a little and Frolik mostly just had to prove he could handle the physical play. Even Tallon recently said when talking about Gud making the team or not, that they would do what was best for his development.

He's gonna be with us a long time, we can let him go to junior for one more year if he needs it. No rush. As I said, they probably won't know until after the 9 games though, so at this point it's still very premature. It'll be a long process and I'm sure they'll make the right decision.

Old
09-25-2010, 06:38 PM
sabrefan27

You can also stunt your growth by playing in a league far below your talent level. I think he needs the 9 games to see for sure. Against a lot of Bruins regulars, I was extremely impressed.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Time to update that signature Beezer. Horton and Ballard are no longer.
Planing on it, still waiting for Talon to get Hall so I can put his name up there!

Old
09-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
You can also stunt your growth by playing in a league far below your talent level. I think he needs the 9 games to see for sure. Against a lot of Bruins regulars, I was extremely impressed.
He's not THAT good. He won't be hurt at all playing another year in the OHL.

Old
09-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
I agree, at the very least he needs to be given the 9 games because of his play so far in preseason.

Old
09-25-2010, 06:47 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
He's not THAT good. He won't be hurt at all playing another year in the OHL.
Probably won't help either. This might be a case where the age restrictions in the AHL really suck. He'd probably be perfect to start the year out in the AHL if it were possible.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Probably won't help either. This might be a case where the age restrictions in the AHL really suck. He'd probably be perfect to start the year out in the AHL if it were possible.
Depending on how he finishes out the preseason and early regular season, I'd definitely say it would benefit him more to go back to junior than play in the NHL. He can probably still stand to develop his offensive game ALOT more before he comes up full time.

Yeah, the AHL may be the best place if it were possible, but still I'd say if he's not quite right for the bigtime yet then there's nothing wrong with him returning to junior. Nothing wrong with being a dominant defenseman in a league and buulding that kind of confidence in all aspects of your game. If it were like Seguin or Hall who already left the OHL last season as arguably the 2 best players, then that would be different, but Gud was far from that.

Old
09-25-2010, 07:15 PM
16Skippy

Quote:
Depending on how he finishes out the preseason and early regular season, I'd definitely say it would benefit him more to go back to junior than play in the NHL. He can probably still stand to develop his offensive game ALOT more before he comes up full time.

Yeah, the AHL may be the best place if it were possible, but still I'd say if he's not quite right for the bigtime yet then there's nothing wrong with him returning to junior. Nothing wrong with being a dominant defenseman in a league and buulding that kind of confidence in all aspects of your game. If it were like Seguin or Hall who already left the OHL last season as arguably the 2 best players, then that would be different, but Gud was far from that.
I like that idea especially since he missed so much time last year. Also playing in the WJC could be great for him too.

16Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Skippy View Post
I like that idea especially since he missed so much time last year. Also playing in the WJC could be great for him too.
Yeah, that would really be a great experience for him.

Old
09-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Eh, Gudbranson still has to prove he can dominate the OHL offensively. He's shown glimpses, but he's far from proven that the OHL is far below his talent level, at least not at this point in his development.

And like others have said, another year of junior would also let him work on his weaknesses against lesser competition, instead of against NHL competition that might hurt his confidence if he struggles against. Plus there's the whole WJC thing, which has springboarded quite a few junior careers.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 08:53 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I think him playing the way he has so far, then going back to the O, would be the best for him. Doing so would instill a big boom in confidence IMO, and knowing he can play in the NHL would help him be a more dominating player in the O.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote