HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky baptism of fire, give it to him Now!

Old
09-25-2010, 10:33 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
I see BOB got the keys to the car tonight and was allowed to drive it out past the city limits instead of just around the corner ?I hear he played very well, and that folks are starting to notice that lateral quickness this CAT is blessed with.I am not surprised at all he made a good showing, and i am happy he is being given a SERIOUS look by management.Just give the man a fair chance to make our club, that is all anyone can ask for.Stay hungry bob !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 12:39 AM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
I say why not, lets toss this dog a bone. Eh? If he continues the way he plays during this pre-season, that is..

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:13 AM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I see BOB got the keys to the car tonight and was allowed to drive it out past the city limits instead of just around the corner ?I hear he played very well, and that folks are starting to notice that lateral quickness this CAT is blessed with.I am not surprised at all he made a good showing, and i am happy he is being given a SERIOUS look by management.Just give the man a fair chance to make our club, that is all anyone can ask for.Stay hungry bob !
Bob is ready for the NHL and of Course management is giving him a serious look hes getting paid more than Leighton. Homer proves once again that they know things we do not. I suspect he will still start in the AHL for cap purposes, unless Leighton is out for a long time (doubt it). By seasons end Leighton will be backing up Bob. The kid is far too talented to be sitting behind Leighton and Boucher. In my 13 years watching the flyers I have never seen a young goalie with this much skill in black and orange. I feel very comfortable with him in net. He always manages to keep his eyes on the puck and you never seem him lose sight of it. Although, I will say that he does need a little more seasoning..

On a side note, Erik Gustafsson is also ready to jump into the NHL. He would be the perfect #7. I saw him play tonight and the kid is so fluid on his skates and rarely makes a mistake. Once he bulks up and gets a year or two under his belt he is a top 4 guy for sure. I believe this will cause Bartulius to be waived and Walker traded. Walker isn't bad, but he makes way too much, while Bartulius makes far too many mistakes. I'm probably wrong, but thats what I get from what I've seen so far.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

^^^ So does any goalie his age, how many guys do you see breaking in in their early 20s? Not many and even fewer do it successfully. For every Cam Ward there are a dozen busts and 50 guys who stay in the minors.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:09 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
Bob is ready for the NHL and of Course management is giving him a serious look hes getting paid more than Leighton.
I thought about that the other day, I think we signed him to something like three years 1.6mil/year.
So we can't even role with Leighton/Bob unless we trade someone.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:41 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
Bob is ready for the NHL and of Course management is giving him a serious look hes getting paid more than Leighton. Homer proves once again that they know things we do not. I suspect he will still start in the AHL for cap purposes, unless Leighton is out for a long time (doubt it). By seasons end Leighton will be backing up Bob. The kid is far too talented to be sitting behind Leighton and Boucher. In my 13 years watching the flyers I have never seen a young goalie with this much skill in black and orange. I feel very comfortable with him in net. He always manages to keep his eyes on the puck and you never seem him lose sight of it. Although, I will say that he does need a little more seasoning..

On a side note, Erik Gustafsson is also ready to jump into the NHL. He would be the perfect #7. I saw him play tonight and the kid is so fluid on his skates and rarely makes a mistake. Once he bulks up and gets a year or two under his belt he is a top 4 guy for sure. I believe this will cause Bartulius to be waived and Walker traded. Walker isn't bad, but he makes way too much, while Bartulius makes far too many mistakes. I'm probably wrong, but thats what I get from what I've seen so far.
I think you mean trade Bartulis and waive Walker. Bartulis has exponentially more marketability than Walker. Walker needs a 2nd round pick along with him because he is a scrub salary dump, Bartulis is a young, cheap, semi-experienced, fully capable 3rd pairing guy, alot of teams would give up a decent draft pick for him, I am sure.

I would love for Bartulis to be the 7th and Walker just completely waived, so that guys like Gustafsson can get some more playing time in the AHL (since they still have room to grow, whereas Bart has probably reached his low potential). Alas, this will not be the case. Homer may be an idiot, but even HE knows the kind of **** he will get if Walker is waived after trading Gagne for him, even from the less knowledgable fans who may have believed his "this will solidify the defense" ********, followed by that little pimple on the ass of society who said "now that was quick and painless".

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:48 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

As I've always said, if a player is ready, regardless of age, you play them. Bobrovsky has shown so far that he can be a player, but you have to temper that with the fact that Bobrovsky hasn't faced the best players every night. And until he does, then Bobrovsky can't be considered as the starter.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
from what i've seen, he's still a little shaky. i'd love for him to get some AHL time to get more acclimated to the game, than back up boucher. remember, our first game is against pittsburgh, after all...im not looking to throw him to the wolves immediately.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 04:20 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

With Leighton out, Bob has to be at least back up, no choice now

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:24 AM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Glad I took some time to make myself a nice Bob avatar. Because now I know he is franchise! lol okay not really(although possibly(I hope)). I hope Bob starts right out of the gate and does amazing, and becomes the franchise goalie we've been missing since Hextall.

Old
09-27-2010, 07:34 AM
DUHockey9

I don't think age is the concern with Bobrovsky, it's just the jump to North American hockey. For a guy that seems to rely on his superior quickness, it's imperative he's on his angles. That's the issue switching to NA Hockey because the rink is smaller (so the angles are different), and we shoot more.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:51 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I don't think age is the concern with Bobrovsky, it's just the jump to North American hockey. For a guy that seems to rely on his superior quickness, it's imperative he's on his angles. That's the issue switching to NA Hockey because the rink is smaller (so the angles are different), and we shoot more.
Pelle Lindbergh had a bit of a tough time doing this, if I remember correctly. One of the reasons Bernie Parent was such a big part of his development.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:36 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Dingdingdingdingdingdingding!

This is why I'm concerned with throwing him into it right away.

If Leighton's injury is significant, it may force our hand. I'd look to see Leighton put on LTIR and someone brought in on a cheap contract before bringing Bobrovsky up to sit on the bench.

I still maintain that if Bob isn't the starter, he has to be with the Phantoms.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

I still maintain that if Bob isn't the starter, he has to be with the Phantoms.

i couldnt agree with you more if i tried.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:13 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I thought about that the other day, I think we signed him to something like three years 1.6mil/year.
So we can't even role with Leighton/Bob unless we trade someone.
It's do-able. Waiving Boucher & Bartulis would give us $1.5m in cap space with Leighton & Bobrovsky as our goalies

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:20 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeany View Post
Glad I took some time to make myself a nice Bob avatar. Because now I know he is franchise! lol okay not really(although possibly(I hope)). I hope Bob starts right out of the gate and does amazing, and becomes the franchise goalie we've been missing since Hextall.
I really like your avatar, btw.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
from what i've seen, he's still a little shaky. i'd love for him to get some AHL time to get more acclimated to the game, than back up boucher. remember, our first game is against pittsburgh, after all...im not looking to throw him to the wolves immediately.
No more shakier than Boosh and Leighton.....Leighton still scares me with his awkward style at least Boosh when on his game and now Bob are fundamentally more sound. But still would like to see Bob get more seasoned down on the farm...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
DenverBoone

Let's take a different approach. Tell Bob he gets the start against the Pens. And if he doesn't get a shut out, we will pistol whip him in the balls and send him back to Outer Siberia via Port-o-let. That will get him to cut down the angles and adapt to the NHL rink real quick.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:55 AM
seanerixon

Whats with people putting down Boucher? I personally feel more comfortable with Boosh. He has tons of experience, and has improved. I feel he is ahead of Leighton.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Whats with people putting down Boucher? I personally feel more comfortable with Boosh. He has tons of experience, and has improved. I feel he is ahead of Leighton.
I agree. Leighton certainly played better on the whole last year, but I think given equal playing time they're likely to be about the same... I think Leighton is slightly better on the first shot, and Boucher is a slightly better technical goalie (as far as controlling rebounds and whatnot) when he's on his game.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:27 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I said it when we signed him. I dont care what he does in the preseason, put him in the AHL and let him learn the pro game. No need to rush this kid at all.
Backlund should be the the callup provided hes healthy.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
seanerixon

Flyers' goaltending coach Reese stated Bobrovsky is NHL ready, however could still use some tweaking in his game. Isn't this similar to when we got Leighton? Reese tweaked his game while he was playing NHL games?

Old
09-27-2010, 12:56 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Flyers' goaltending coach Reese stated Bobrovsky is NHL ready, however could still use some tweaking in his game. Isn't this similar to when we got Leighton? Reese tweaked his game while he was playing NHL games?
Well of course Reese isn't going to come out and say the kid can't play. It's a matter of building up confidence in the kid, but it's also a matter of pride. He doesn't want to come out and say that he can't get a kid with so much obvious talent to play.

Also, Leighton had the benefit of being in the minors and round the NHL forever. He's very well adjusted to the style of play that we have here; Bobrovsky still hasn't been accustomed to that.

Also, I agree with what Jester said about Boucher. He's a more talented and technically sound goalie than Leighton, and I think capable of playing just as well. Though his off nights tend to be worse than Leighton's because when Leighton's off, he just look slow. When Boucher is off, he scrambles and that makes him seem a lot worse.

Old
09-27-2010, 01:20 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I agree. Leighton certainly played better on the whole last year, but I think given equal playing time they're likely to be about the same... I think Leighton is slightly better on the first shot, and Boucher is a slightly better technical goalie (as far as controlling rebounds and whatnot) when he's on his game.
Thats the troubling part. For every game hes on, there are 2-3 when he isnt on. From last season, we also saw that the team doesnt like to play infront of him so it makes him even worse. It will be tricky to see how Boucher does. If he comes in ****** the first few games, Bob will most likely be the guy they look towards. As even you said before, if Leighton is out a long time, Boucher as a starter is horrendous. He is a fine backup (even if he lets in the 1st goal on the 1st shot he faces) but now at this time, whenever he gets a few games in a row, he starts to do very bad.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:15 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Thats the troubling part. For every game hes on, there are 2-3 when he isnt on. From last season, we also saw that the team doesnt like to play infront of him so it makes him even worse. It will be tricky to see how Boucher does. If he comes in ****** the first few games, Bob will most likely be the guy they look towards. As even you said before, if Leighton is out a long time, Boucher as a starter is horrendous. He is a fine backup (even if he lets in the 1st goal on the 1st shot he faces) but now at this time, whenever he gets a few games in a row, he starts to do very bad.
Hopefully he and the team benefit from a new year and a fresh start.

Boucher had a stretch where he played really well but lost games because he had zero goal support anyway. I genuinely think he's a better goalie than Leighton, if given a chance...his playing time was horribly mismanaged last year and it impacted his ability to perform.

Either way, Boucher as the starter for this entire year spells disaster.