HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd Round of Cuts (Zuccarello, Grachev to HFD; Semenov, Exelby released)

Old
09-26-2010, 03:44 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
I really think Valentenko is going to get every opportunity to make the team. I don't think anyone he's in direct competition with has proven much and as I've said before he has 2 qualities that this team severely lacks in his rough play and his point shot.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:54 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Torts said it's going down after the game 2nite so we will know on Sunday

my guess upfront it's Byers, Weiss, Williams, Newbury

On D Exelby gets released /2way deal at best. I think Eminger is out and they may as well waive him down to the farm 2morow giving him a chance to ge claimed which I am sure he wont.

Afraid alot of us like Sauer but he gets cut

I think White gets another game but seems like he would be a casualty due to numbers and cap hit

did Torts give a estimated number of cuts?
Sauer should play today. his cut status will surely be influenced by his play today. McD, Sauer, Valentenko are the 3 rookies who seem to have the inside track on the #5 and #6 d positions.
Semenov seems like a lock for #7.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I really think Valentenko is going to get every opportunity to make the team. I don't think anyone he's in direct competition with has proven much and as I've said before he has 2 qualities that this team severely lacks in his rough play and his point shot.

That Gomez trade is looking better every day. First we got Higgins. Ok, so we thought we dumped a salary and picked up a third liner, that works, we were happy. Then it turned out that we got McD also. Now we were happy, even ecstatic. Then we also learned about Vally, but nobody really thought much about that acquisition, especially after he left for the KHL.

The original fear was that the Habs gave up on McD for a reason. But he kept improving, slowly but surely. Suddenly, he became a real option to play for the Rangers this preseason. Then Vally starts playing and he establishes himself as a future or even current NHLer.

Gomez will likely result in two solid NHL defensemen. Neither will be a game-breaker, but both will be useful.

If they become one solid second pairing defenseman and one solid third pairing defenseman, I would be very happy.

My hope is that they could do for us for 10-12 years what Lowe/Wells did in the 1993-94 season. Would be really nice.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Osminator

I would be thrilled if Sauer, Valentenko, McD make the team... looks like only 2 of the 3 will make it, Semenov looks like a lock for #7...

I think this is Sauer's chance, otherwise he better find his luck with another NHL team... Maybe 1 year for McD at the AHL can't hurt... Valentenko is a little older and already played again men in the KHL... LOVE THIS COMPETITION!

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 04:29 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
That Gomez trade is looking better every day. First we got Higgins. Ok, so we thought we dumped a salary and picked up a third liner, that works, we were happy. Then it turned out that we got McD also. Now we were happy, even ecstatic. Then we also learned about Vally, but nobody really thought much about that acquisition, especially after he left for the KHL.

The original fear was that the Habs gave up on McD for a reason. But he kept improving, slowly but surely. Suddenly, he became a real option to play for the Rangers this preseason. Then Vally starts playing and he establishes himself as a future or even current NHLer.

Gomez will likely result in two solid NHL defensemen. Neither will be a game-breaker, but both will be useful.

If they become one solid second pairing defenseman and one solid third pairing defenseman, I would be very happy.

My hope is that they could do for us for 10-12 years what Lowe/Wells did in the 1993-94 season. Would be really nice.
You gotta figure this:
We traded Kotalik for Jokinen. Higgins for Prust. So in total reality - for Scott Gomez we acquired Brandon Prust, Ryan McDonaugh, Pavel Valentenko and the cap space that gave us the possibility of signing FA Marian Gaborik. Who won here?

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 06:34 PM
egelband

I think this is a good way to look at the situation now...things will change in the next couple weeks, of course. And Drury out creates a spot for number 24.

1. Gaborik
2. Staal
3. Del Zotto
4. Girardi
5. Frolov
6. Dubinsky
7. Callahan
8. Rozsival
9. Anisimov
10. Prospal
11. Drury
12. Prust
13. Gilroy
14. Avery
15. Boogaard
16. Semenov
17. Fedotenko
18. Boyle
19. McDonagh
20. Kennedy
21. Stepan
G. Lundqvist
G2. Biron

24. Valentenko
25. White
26. Christensen
27. Sauer
28. Zuccarello
29. Newbury
30. Sauer

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Osminator

After today's game in Detroit, I wouldn't be surprised to see Grachev and Sauer cut, White waived...

and Chad Johnson without a job after his current contract expires. Ugh.

Old
09-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Grachev needs more time. Not surprised at all. Stepan had a decent game, but wasnt as noticeable as he was in his first one... I wasnt happy with Sauers game in the first game, and i wasnt happy with it in this one. He doesnt look NHL ready.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Osminator

I would NOT be surprised if Gilroy starts the year with the Whalepack.

Old
09-26-2010, 07:40 PM
ThisYearsModel

Chad Johnson has such a casual style. Unfortunately, when you surrender bad goals you look lazy and clueless. Sauer will end up in Hartford, as will Valentenko but both are prospects. McD gets a shot..............Gilroy too but could be the last one demoted. I bet Semenov makes the team. Up front............Stepan looks like a keeper.....at least initially. Zucarello is on the bubble. I hope that one or the other of Christiansen and White are not still with us opening night. The defense still looks porous.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 08:11 PM
John Torturella

Grachev is cut in my opinion.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 08:19 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Sauer would have been ready to make the NHL if injuries didn't take over his career. It's a shame. He has looked shaky at times out there.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Crease

Right now I like McD and Valentenko over Gilroy, but Gilroy is making the team.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Newbury
Manning
Williams
Byers
Weise
Sauer
Exelby released

Eminger and white will be next in my opinion

Grachev mza and valentenko will at least get another game

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 08:44 PM
BruinsFan19

Manning is on his way back to Chilliwack. He was apparently offered a contract and to spend this season in the AHL but he decided it would be better for him to come back to the Bruins and try again as a free agent next season.

BruinsFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 08:45 PM
DutchShamrock

I have a feeling Sather does some housecleaning with the journeymen vets. White, Christiansen, Exelby and Emenger should be given an opportunity at an NHL job if it won't be here and by all accounts they will probably be on the outside of our roster. And honestly, Sauer should get a shot too. I think a few trades will go down before camp ends... minor things for scraps or late picks. Of course there is that rumor of getting a #1C, maybe they are throw ins, maybe not.

The next cuts should be no brainers, the last cuts though will be tough. Valentenko, Gilroy, Sauer, Semenov, McDonagh are all potentially in or out. MZA, Grachev, Stepan should not be decided on until the last moment. Maybe the frontrunners falter, maybe a young guy finds his stride. No reason to be hasty one way or the other.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 11:25 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
I would NOT be surprised if Gilroy starts the year with the Whalepack.
At this point I doubt it very much.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 11:29 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Grachev
I don't see any reason they should keep him around any longer. I think it would be better for him for this season to be in training camp with the players he is going to be playing with.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 11:44 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

My cuts (I remember Michelleti saying something along the lines of only 6 or 7 guys were getting the boot tomorrow):
Exelby, Eminger, Manning, Newbury, Williams, White, Johnson.

My final roster (for the first few games Drury misses)

Frolov – Stepan (at least until Drury’s back) – Gaborik

Dubinsky – Anisimov – Callahan

Fedetenko – Prospal – Avery

Kennedy – Boyle – Prust/Boogaard

Prust/Boogaard

Staal – Girardi

DZ – Rozy

McD – Gilroy

I think I’m close.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Janerixon

After today this is how I see it

Frolov-Christensen-gaborik
Dubinsky-anisimov-prospal
Avery-drury-Callahan
Boogard-Boyle-prust

Staal-rozsival
Mdz-girardi
Gilroy-McDonagh

Lundqvist-biron

Sc: Kennedy, fedotenko, sememov

Vtank could make this team but not as the 7th damn, gilroy has been better and I think mcdonagh knows where to be. Vtank blocks a ton of shots, hits and has a bomb. He will be with the pro team sooner than later

I think they Will take their time w Stepan just my opinion
Grachev is not ready I think another year
Mza needs to get used to the north American game he will be here when we need a call up

Emminger will be waived as will be white

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:44 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Grachev should get cut... he's nowhere near NHL ready.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
After today this is how I see it

Frolov-Christensen-gaborik
Dubinsky-anisimov-prospal
Avery-drury-Callahan
Boogard-Boyle-prust

Staal-rozsival
Mdz-girardi
Gilroy-McDonagh

Lundqvist-biron

Sc: Kennedy, fedotenko, sememov

Vtank could make this team but not as the 7th damn, gilroy has been better and I think mcdonagh knows where to be. Vtank blocks a ton of shots, hits and has a bomb. He will be with the pro team sooner than later

I think they Will take their time w Stepan just my opinion
Grachev is not ready I think another year
Mza needs to get used to the north American game he will be here when we need a call up

Emminger will be waived as will be white
Disagree on Christensen and Gilroy otherwise it's exactly as I see it. Christensen doesn't bring anything more than Stepan does IMO, and Gilroy is a liability out there defensively.

Stepan has a high hockey IQ and I think would adapt rather quickly to the NHL game given a chance night in and out. Christensen is what he is, he doesn't bring anything more than Stepan at this point and isn't anywhere close as far as potential.

Gilroy could be swapped with Valentenko whom also just needs a little time to adjust I consider them interchangeable except Valentenko has a higher ceiling defensively. Gilroy's offense will never make up for his defensive gaffs.

IMO if we are going to play the youth and deal with some rookie mistakes it might as well be the players who have the most to offer in the long run.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts wasn't impressed with White's game on Saturday night and he wasn't better last night. Yeah it was his first game coming off summer shoulder surgery. Yeah he had a 70 point season with Kovalchuk. I could get 70 points with Kovalchuk. Just give him the puck and he'll make a great individual play. At $2.375 million,the Rangers can't afford him as 3rd or 4th center. White was never the fastest guy but he looks slow and small out there. He should be grateful about collecting the final year salary of $2.6 million on his 4 year contract. Waive him before he gets hurt and spends the season on IR.

McDonagh played 24 minutes last night. In all situations. Torts put him with Girardi in the 2nd half of the game. 8 out of 10 times will make a good,solid first pass. Only issue last night was failing to clear the puck twice on the 5 on 3 PK. On the team with Gilroy.

Grachev's contract slides. Last season was a free year on the SPC. No issues with him or with him going to Hartford. AA flourished in his second year in the AHL which was also his first year of the SPC. Slide rule.

Not very impressed with Semenov. He was better last fall.

Valentenko and Sauer. AHL. Top call-ups. Sauer has to clear waivers to reach the AHL.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:55 AM
TheRedressor

After the final cuts my lineup would be:

Frolov-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Drury-Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Prospal
Boogard-Boyle-Prust
Fedotenko, Kennedy

Staal-Girardi
Del Zotto-Rozsival
McDonaugh-Gilroy
Semenov

Lundqvist
Biron

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Torts wasn't impressed with White's game on Saturday night and he wasn't better last night. Yeah it was his first game coming off summer shoulder surgery. Yeah he had a 70 point season with Kovalchuk. I could get 70 points with Kovalchuk. Just give him the puck and he'll make a great individual play. At $2.375 million,the Rangers can't afford him as 3rd or 4th center. White was never the fastest guy but he looks slow and small out there. He should be grateful about collecting the final year salary of $2.6 million on his 4 year contract. Waive him before he gets hurt and spends the season on IR.

McDonagh played 24 minutes last night. In all situations. Torts put him with Girardi in the 2nd half of the game. 8 out of 10 times will make a good,solid first pass. Only issue last night was failing to clear the puck twice on the 5 on 3 PK. On the team with Gilroy.

Grachev's contract slides. Last season was a free year on the SPC. No issues with him or with him going to Hartford. AA flourished in his second year in the AHL which was also his first year of the SPC. Slide rule.

Not very impressed with Semenov. He was better last fall.

Valentenko and Sauer. AHL. Top call-ups. Sauer has to clear waivers to reach the AHL.

The quotes disagree with your assessment of Tort's feelings on White after Saturday's game.

"Tortorella had praise for, among several other forwards, both White and Tim Kennedy for their versatility. The Rangers are trying Kennedy at center but the ex-Sabre played all three forward positions in Buffalo and Tortorella switched him to Anisimov’s left wing - his preferred wing - on a line with Callahan while White centered Fedotenko and Avery.

“He’s utility,” Tortorella said of White. “He can kill some penalties, give us some offense. It’s nice to have that.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...t_wrapping_up/

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote