HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

In season conditioning

Old
09-25-2010, 01:22 PM
IAMCANADIAN

vCash: 500
In season conditioning

There's all kinds of information about training during the "off season" but I'm interested in some information about training during "THE season".

My son is playing Peewee AAA and they'd be on the ice three times a week (on average). What type of training and how much should/could be done during THE season?

By training I mean weights, cardio etc ... off ice stuff

Thanks

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

I might be in the minority here..

..but just let him be a kid. He's a PeeWee. I wish I could of skated 3 times a week when I was peewee.

If HE wants to do some off-ice training, then thats fine. But PeeWee are supposed to have fun off the ice away from hockey. No need to have him doing jump squats in the yard when he's already skating 3 times a week.

Let him worry about that once he gets into the Batman/Midget years.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:50 PM
PuckHogs29

Isn't pee wee like pre-teens? I agree with Harv, at that age there's no need for off ice training. Let him just enjoy skating 3 times a week. For a kid that age that should be plenty of conditioning.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Sideline

Swimming is great. It's only as intense as you want it to be and almost nothing like hockey so it's a good change of pace for a kid on the ice 3+ times a week.

Talk to a doctor before you let him get into weight training; 11 or 12 years old might be (probably is) to soon to start high impact strength work depending on his physical maturity.

I'll echo what Harv said as well. If your kid came to you and said "Dad I want to get serious about hockey, what else can I do off ice?" then by all means push him a little harder into something that will make him a better hockey player. If this is you dreaming of life as Troy Crosby do yourself and your boy a favour and play Xbox with him instead.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:34 PM
ponder

+1 for what's already been posted. 11-12 is too early IMO for weight training, if he really wants to do more (and if it really is him, and not you, pushing for it), set up a skill pad and net in your backyard so he can practice shooting, swimming as already suggested is a good call, and just let him play random other sports with friends. Push him too hard at this age and there's a good chance you'll just take away his love for the game, encouraging him is one thing, but putting him through grueling weights and cardio at the age of 11-12 is another.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:31 PM
IAMCANADIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Swimming is great. It's only as intense as you want it to be and almost nothing like hockey so it's a good change of pace for a kid on the ice 3+ times a week.

Talk to a doctor before you let him get into weight training; 11 or 12 years old might be (probably is) to soon to start high impact strength work depending on his physical maturity.

I'll echo what Harv said as well. If your kid came to you and said "Dad I want to get serious about hockey, what else can I do off ice?" then by all means push him a little harder into something that will make him a better hockey player. If this is you dreaming of life as Troy Crosby do yourself and your boy a favour and play Xbox with him instead.
You all have very good points, but this is not me pushing/telling him to do more.

He has come to us (Mother & I) asking for it. His team practices twice a week and usually one game, MAYBE two a week. He plays other sports at school as well.

He does have a shooting pad and net set up and the garage and uses it when he wants.

We are NOT forcing/suggesting/telling him to do anything. I agree that 12yrs old is too young to lift weights ... so I suggested just doing body weight squats and things like pushups and the plank...or to go roller blading.

Do I think that he's the next whoever...hell no! He's just really focused about hockey. He's 12yrs old, 5'11" and 165lbs ... plays mostly the wing and sometimes defense.

Again, thank you all for your suggestions and comments ... but what does a parent do when your kid comes to you wanting to better himself in his chosen sport?

Thanks

Old
09-26-2010, 02:51 PM
ponder

Wow, 5'11" 165 at 12 years old? BIG kid!

Sounds like he's already very active, plenty of hockey/other sports, but if he really wants to work on getting stronger I agree that body weight excercises are a good idea. Make sure to really stress good form/complete range of motion over lots of reps. As you suggested, push ups, body weight squats and the plank are good ones, also pull ups, chin ups, dips, crunches, etc.

Just a general note about weight training for younger kids, it used to be thought that it could stunt growth/injure growth plates, but for healthy kids with good nutrition I think this has more or less been proven false. I think the main issue is maturity, at that age they might not know their own limits and will often sacrifice form/safety to try to lift heavier weights than they can properly handle, potentially injuring themselves. Also, they won't see nearly as much benefit as they will at an older age, since testosterone is key for building muscle and young kids don't have as much of it. But if he's really enthusiastic and really pushing for more training, then I don't see the harm in showing him how to do a bunch of body weight exercises, and just letting him do them whenever he wants.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Sideline

If that's the case I'll reiterate swimming, but with a focus on timed freestyle lengths of the pool. It sounds like he's naturally competitive enough to race against his own time. It's fantastic cardio that won't mess up his joints or give him shin splints.

If he wants to do something specifically to get better at hockey and not for fun I would have him work on foot speed, acceleration, and agility. In his age group at his size if he's one of the quickest players on the ice at tryouts he'll make just about any team he wants to play for. Agility Ladders are cheap and effective for those skills.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 05:11 PM
IAMCANADIAN

Thanks everyone!!!

Old
09-26-2010, 06:35 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Agree with almost everyone here. Swimming is great and so is plyometric training; however it has to be something which your son wants to do.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Out of the season, I'd go with playing other sports. In season, simple bodyweight exercises like pushups, pullups, bodyweight squats, crunches, dips, etc can all help and aren't too much for a younger kid (not stressing the joints).

5'11 165 at 12, man...when I was 12 I was "big" at 5'6 150 and the coaches loved it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:12 PM
IAMCANADIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Out of the season, I'd go with playing other sports. In season, simple bodyweight exercises like pushups, pullups, bodyweight squats, crunches, dips, etc can all help and aren't too much for a younger kid (not stressing the joints).

5'11 165 at 12, man...when I was 12 I was "big" at 5'6 150 and the coaches loved it.

Yeah it has it's good and bad points. He's given ALOT of room on the ice and is usually paired with a smaller center/winger. It creates ALOT more ice for them to move as well.

Checking is another story. When he goes to check someone (sometimes) they'll bail and leave the puck there for him .. so his checking ability has come along slower than if he were smaller.

Penalties ... the good old 2 minutes for being too big call! When his does check another kid along the boards you usually hear it and notice the other laid out ... some referees have been giving out roughing penalties.

Like I've said NUMEROUS times before ... I'm not saying he's a superstar ... he just happens to be freaky big for his age!

Old
09-28-2010, 12:56 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN View Post
Yeah it has it's good and bad points. He's given ALOT of room on the ice and is usually paired with a smaller center/winger. It creates ALOT more ice for them to move as well.

Checking is another story. When he goes to check someone (sometimes) they'll bail and leave the puck there for him .. so his checking ability has come along slower than if he were smaller.

Penalties ... the good old 2 minutes for being too big call! When his does check another kid along the boards you usually hear it and notice the other laid out ... some referees have been giving out roughing penalties.

Like I've said NUMEROUS times before ... I'm not saying he's a superstar ... he just happens to be freaky big for his age!
Maybe you should see if he can get bumped up an age division. At that size he's probably ready to play with older kids. Also, be wary of the size... make sure he has good hockey sense and good skating ability, and doesn't rely purely on his size/strength advantage... because that will diminish as he gets older unless you're raising the second coming of Eric Lindros (hopefully one that can keep his head up!)

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 06:20 PM
OrangeBlue10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
I might be in the minority here..

..but just let him be a kid. He's a PeeWee. I wish I could of skated 3 times a week when I was peewee.

If HE wants to do some off-ice training, then thats fine. But PeeWee are supposed to have fun off the ice away from hockey. No need to have him doing jump squats in the yard when he's already skating 3 times a week.

Let him worry about that once he gets into the Batman/Midget years.
Nice i loved those years

OrangeBlue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:34 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I think Jagr said he used to take a hockey stick, put it over his shoulders and do squats. Body weight exercises for kids are definitely fine.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote