HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Down to 27 9/28/10, roster cuts and potiential cuts

Old
09-25-2010, 12:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Down to 27 9/28/10, roster cuts and potiential cuts

Per Josh Cooper on twitter.

Trotz: "We’re going to make a lot of cuts after tonight’s game"

So who do YOU think get's cut?

I think PIckard and Smith are going to Milwaukee personally.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

So who do YOU think get's cut?

I think PIckard and Smith are going to Milwaukee personally.
Agree. I think those two are gone tonight and Dex follows soon after. Lindback FTW

Forwards are anyones guess right now. I think Thuresson is a pretty good bet, as well as some other two ways. Andersson and O'Reilly probably should go down, but their one-ways will make it tough for the staff to cut them this early on.....

Neither Ellis nor Blum will make the team, its just a matter of when they get cut. Im sure the first round will be Lewis, Lehman, Doornbosch, and some other life-time AHLers.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:17 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I dont think they will crown a winner in the backup sweeps yet. Need to keep them all working. Plus Poile's gotta figure out what to do with everyone. cant send all 3 to Milwaukee

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:30 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I dont think they will crown a winner in the backup sweeps yet. Need to keep them all working. Plus Poile's gotta figure out what to do with everyone. cant send all 3 to Milwaukee
Actually.......they can....

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

Well looks like Blum didn't do so well in camp. Other than Blum going down and Grant Lewis staying up there are no real surprises. Then next round is the tough cuts.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Remaining players provided by nashvillepredators.com.

FORWARDS (22): Jonas Andersson, Wade Belak, J-P Dumont, Martin Erat, Blake Geoffrion, Marcel Goc, Matt Halischuk, Patric Hornqvist, Sergei Kostitsyn, David Legwand, Matthew Lombardi, , Jerred Smithson, Nick Spaling, Steve Sullivan, , Jordin Tootoo, Joel Ward, Colin Wilson, Linus Klasen, Jamie Lundmark, Cal O'Reilly, Andreas Thuresson, and Kelsey Wilson.

DEFENSEMEN (12): Francis Bouillon, Cody Franson, Kevin Klein, Teemu Laakso, Ryan Parent, Ryan Suter, Shea Weber,Aaron Johnson, Grant Lewis, Brett Palin, Ryan Ellis,, andAlexander Sulzer, .

GOALTENDERS (4): Mark Dekanich, Anders Lindback, Chet Pickard and Pekka Rinne.

Players in italics have to go on waivers, bolded are fringe players who will be safe if sent down.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:25 AM
SChan*

any news on klasen?

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:43 AM
OpenWheel

Think Sulzer makes it? I haven't seen much video, but in the first game against the Hurricanes I thought he looked good on the PK. That was all I saw. He played over 20 minutes with three shots on goal w 3 minutes pp time and 5 on PK. Just being used everywhere made me think they were really checking him out.

On a funny note, I think his HF scouting report was written by a German with English as his second language. Because one of the first things they say he "is a very good skater with a remarkable stamina". Wow, sounds good about the great stamina, right? Then to sum up at the end they say "Sulzer should work on his endurance in the next season, to open his way to the NHL". Haha. Great stamina but could use endurance... I think maybe it was someone trying to note something about past injuries? That report is ancient as well, only noting results through 07/08.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 09-27-2010 at 04:51 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:42 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Think Sulzer makes it? I haven't seen much video, but in the first game against the Hurricanes I thought he looked good on the PK. That was all I saw. He played over 20 minutes with three shots on goal w 3 minutes pp time and 5 on PK. Just being used everywhere made me think they were really checking him out.

On a funny note, I think his HF scouting report was written by a German with English as his second language. Because one of the first things they say he "is a very good skater with a remarkable stamina". Wow, sounds good about the great stamina, right? Then to sum up at the end they say "Sulzer should work on his endurance in the next season, to open his way to the NHL". Haha. Great stamina but could use endurance... I think maybe it was someone trying to note something about past injuries? That report is ancient as well, only noting results through 07/08.
I think Aaron Johnson has been notably better than Sulzer, personally.

BFC, are you sure about Lundmark? I don't see how he could be waiver-exempt in any possible way...age, games played, you name it...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:27 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
BFC, are you sure about Lundmark? I don't see how he could be waiver-exempt in any possible way...age, games played, you name it...
Lundmark is making $105K if it was over that he would be not be exempt. The only two guys I see who are waiver wire guys are Sulzer and O'Reilly, both will make over 105K in the AHL. That's why I give Sulzer the edge over Johnson for the #7 defenseman. O'Reilly.....I'm not sure he will be on the team. In my mind it was O'Reilly v. Kostitsyn and SK won. With O'Reilly on the roster you would see both WIlson and Legwand at wing and possibly 4 scoring lines. Nashville aint gonna do that.

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 09-27-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old
09-27-2010, 08:52 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Lundmark is making $105K if it was over that he would be exempt. The only two guys I see who are waiver wire guys are Sulzer and O'Reilly, both will make over 105K in the AHL. That's why I give Sulzer the edge over Johnson for the #7 defenseman. O'Reilly.....I'm not sure he will be on the team. In my mind it was O'Reilly v. Kostitsyn and SK won. With O'Reilly on the roster you would see both WIlson and Legwand at wing and possibly 4 scoring lines. Nashville aint gonna do that.
I don't think it would be a bad thing to have both Sulzer and O'Reilly claimed, if there's no value to trade them...which I don't think there is. Colorado may offer a 5th or 6th to unite the brothers, I can't see getting more.

Old
09-27-2010, 08:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Suprised Beck was sent back already. He's going to be a player for sure. Although, I said that about Blum and Laakso too.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:03 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Suprised Beck was sent back already. He's going to be a player for sure. Although, I said that about Blum and Laakso too.
yeah, i would have liked to have seen him get a little longer look,b ut with Guelph's camp starting and no realistic chance of him making the team, I'm guessing they thought it was more important for him to be up there from the start.

Old
09-27-2010, 09:41 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

CGC: One Suit down, now cutting the deck.

Remember my deck of cards for the roster? Well the preds are down to 38 players, one suit is gone from the deck. Next comes cutting the deck in half and get the roster at least down to 26. Looking at the 38 players to get to the 23 you need 15 cuts. 11 of the cuts will be easy. Kelsey Wilson, Ryan Ellis, Chet Pickard, Brett Palin, Grant Lewis, Linus Klasen were going to be cut anyway. They have Milwaukee written all over them. The next couple are player with two ways and are making under 105,000 in the AHL; Aaron Johnson, Jamie Lundmark, Andreas Thuresson. That brings the total players sent to Milwaukee to 9, 6 to go. Nick Spaling and Blake Geoffrion are next. Blake has been showing phenominal face off skills and if Trotz were willing to let go of Goc and or Smithson he would be on the team but the road to Nashville goes through Milwaukee and Blake will not hurt with one more year in Milwaukee. I would not be shocked if say Nashville trades Smithson and Goc for picks and brings up Geoffrion and Spaling. They would be very complientary players to the 4th line but the center depth in Milwaukee would be dramatically hurt. If Geoffrion and Spaling are sent down, we are down to 4 cuts. Goalie will be simple, there are 4 goalies in camp only two are staying the two goalies will be safe from waivers so the two losers of the competition will be in Milwaukee. The only complication is Dekanich. I could see him traded for picks. Teemu Laakso makes it 12.

Next comes the complications; Alex Sulzer and Cal O'Reilly. Both are on one way contracts and would be subject to waivers going down and coming up. Sulzer will be safe as the 7th man with Johnson's 2 way contract but O'Reilly is the difficulty. O'Reilly has been playing better by accounts from postings but is it enough to get a job? I don't think so. I always thought it was O'Reilly vs. Kostitsyn and I think SK has shown more than O'Reilly in camp. Because of the waiver wire problems O'Reilly should be traded but can Nashville trade him or will teams just wait for him to fall to waivers? Most NHL teams KNOW Nashville has to make a move on O'Reilly. I think he's a waiver loss and will make my life misreable as a Rich Peverley v. 2.0.

Looking at the roster, there is a LOT of defensive depth guys will be stacked like cord wood. Blum, Josi, Laakso, Johnson will be in Milwaukee and everything says trade of not just one but two defensemen, that's just too much talent on the blue line. Forward wise, not bad but a lot of it is centers and if moves are made to the centers the depth with quickly evaporate. If the PK is still lagging I could see a move where Smithson and Goc is replaced with Spaling, Geoffrion and picks. I could see one of the current middle 4 defensemen in Nashville moved bringing up Blum, then a move to get rid of Laakso, leaving Johnson and Josi as options for call ups and giving room to Ryan Ellis and Charles Olivier-Roussel in Milwaukee. My first thought, and the rumor brought up from Token Grinder, of Cody Franson being traded seemed to be the most valid for me. But then I see Marc-Andre Bergeron still unsigned and I say to myself this. If there was a market for a player like Cody Franson there would be a market for MAB and he's not been taken yet. Would Nashville trade a Kevin Klein?

If Andersson and Kostitsyn pan out they will solidify the top 9. At first I thought Andersson was going to be a 4th line plugger. He has the same physical dimentions as Smithson but he has more offensive skill. But because of the strong showing of Andersson I have him taking Ward's spot on the 3rd line and making Ward the first call up in the top 9.

Then there is Matt Halischuk. He was slated to be a forward in New Jersey then traded to Nashville to become a forward in Milwaukee. That tends to rub a man the wrong way and he's fighting for his spot. There are so many options right now for the job of first call up that it will be difficult to fight through the group and gain momentum so he wants to win the job now.

But there is one more consideration. From 2003-2008, some of the strongest draft classes ever have filled the ranks of the NHL. Because of this a lot of names we know are not quite what we thought they would be simply because the competition has risen the league to new levels. Many stars are in Eurasia and the NHL is better because of this. It might just be the right gamble to go with status quo simply because the depth in the other teams might be just as good with prime young talent. If Nashville can get picks they can they should try, but why weaken your depth to gain picks who might not meet the standard of THIS NHL?

Every part of me says trade, trade, and trade, but the best course of action might just be status quo till the trade deadline and see what the team needs.

Old
09-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Lundmark is making $105K if it was over that he would be not be exempt. The only two guys I see who are waiver wire guys are Sulzer and O'Reilly, both will make over 105K in the AHL. That's why I give Sulzer the edge over Johnson for the #7 defenseman. O'Reilly.....I'm not sure he will be on the team. In my mind it was O'Reilly v. Kostitsyn and SK won. With O'Reilly on the roster you would see both WIlson and Legwand at wing and possibly 4 scoring lines. Nashville aint gonna do that.
The $105k rule comes into effect only when looking at players that must clear recall waivers, but has no bearing on sending a player through waivers to be sent to the AHL.

Of our forwards, only C. Wilson, Spaling, Halischuk, Geoffrion, and Klasen are waiver exempt. On defense the only remaining defenseman with exempt status is Ellis (but he is ineligible to be sent to the AHL), and in nets, everyone except for Rinne can be sent back and forth without clearing waivers.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:13 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The $105k rule comes into effect only when looking at players that must clear recall waivers, but has no bearing on sending a player through waivers to be sent to the AHL.

Of our forwards, only C. Wilson, Spaling, Halischuk, Geoffrion, and Klasen are waiver exempt. On defense the only remaining defenseman with exempt status is Ellis (but he is ineligible to be sent to the AHL), and in nets, everyone except for Rinne can be sent back and forth without clearing waivers.
Yeah, I knew BFC had that wrong...I was just looking for documentation to back that up.

I don't think there's any chance O'Reilly can crack this roster. I haven't been as impressed as some in either his training camp scrimmage performance or the one game I saw him. He still looks like the same old hesitant, easy to knock off the puck O'Reilly.

Old
09-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Yeah, I knew BFC had that wrong...I was just looking for documentation to back that up.

I don't think there's any chance O'Reilly can crack this roster. I haven't been as impressed as some in either his training camp scrimmage performance or the one game I saw him. He still looks like the same old hesitant, easy to knock off the puck O'Reilly.
Cal will have another chance tonight to impress, he's in the lineup, but so is Lundmark.

I think the real advantage Lundmark has on O'Reilly is the Fiddler like ability to slot in anywhere in the lineup on a nightly basis and the ability to play LW as well as C. Whereas Cal is a scoring line center with pK abilities...

Old
09-27-2010, 10:45 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Cal will have another chance tonight to impress, he's in the lineup, but so is Lundmark.

I think the real advantage Lundmark has on O'Reilly is the Fiddler like ability to slot in anywhere in the lineup on a nightly basis and the ability to play LW as well as C. Whereas Cal is a scoring line center with pK abilities...
so OTF's roster is incorrect?

Old
09-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
so OTF's roster is incorrect?
It's changed a couple times in the last 30 minutes. Latest changes are Laakso out, our presumptive top 6 in on defense and Lindback scratched in favor of Pekks tonight. Pickard still in though and will make his debut...

Old
09-27-2010, 11:20 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Yeah, see my twitter reply Seth.

EDIT: I just read through the CBA and I don't even see the part about the salaries in waivers. My eyes are burning.

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 09-27-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old
09-27-2010, 01:56 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

from the sound of it, according to Josh Cooper, Poile has liked what he's seen from the goalies in house, and as of now, that's still the direction we're going.

Old
09-27-2010, 01:58 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Why are waivers so confusing....

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2010/9...kso-on-waivers

Kiss good bye Laakso and Thuresson

EDIT: I'm going to wait for 2nd hand confirmation before calling this solid.

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 09-27-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old
09-27-2010, 02:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Why are waivers so confusing....

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2010/9...kso-on-waivers

Kiss good bye Laakso and Thuresson
I wonder if they're not mistaken in someway...I can't see any criteria that would make them subject to waivers...

Old
09-27-2010, 02:11 PM
OpenWheel

Maybe it's sort of like leaving the keys in your old car "accidentally".

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:40 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

Waiver clarification.