HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton has a bulging disc, out one month (updated Tuesday, Sept. 28; post#202)

Old
09-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

vCash: 500
unfortunately, the solution to the "Leighton Question" is not to find more leighton in other places. so im completely against theo.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
What is with all of the interest in Theodore? Doesn't the fact that not a single other NHL team (including Minnesota who just lost Harding for the season) has expressed any interest in him tell you something?
Do not worry about Minnesota, their goalie can play 70 NHL games (talk about facts). How about the fact that Bobrovsky looks better then both Boucher or Leighton and it's only preseason?

My interest is that Theo is the only real NHL goalie left with out a contract and he is better then Boucher. Thats my interest.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-27-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:17 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
What is with all of the interest in Theodore? Doesn't the fact that not a single other NHL team (including Minnesota who just lost Harding for the season) has expressed any interest in him tell you something?
Quote:
What does Leighton have to do with Theodore? Leighton put up good numbers for the Flyers last season, thus Homer's interest in re-signing him. Not a single team has expressed interest in Theodore, including his own (who will go with Varlamov and an unproven rookie Michal Neuvirth) and a team that just lost their backup for the season.
You discounted signing Theodore by raising the point that nobody else in the league wanted him.

We got Leighton off of waivers from the worst team in the league...IE, nobody else expressed interest in the whole league.

I'm not advocating that Holmgren continue to scrape from the bottom of the barrel in net, but I'm just raising a point that going after a goalie that nobody else in the league wanted may very well be exactly the kind of thing Homer would do.

That said, I still maintain that I want no parts of Theodore. His mental game is weak; there is a reason he is constantly being supplanted as the starter and can't hang onto a job.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:32 AM
DUHockey9

I actually would have no issue with Theodore. I like him more than Leighton.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:35 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Do not worry about Minnesota, their goalie can play 70 NHL games (talk about facts). How about the fact that Bobrovsky looks better then both Boucher or Leighton and it's only preseason?

My interest is that Theo is the only real NHL goalie left with out a contract and he is better then Boucher. Thats my interest.
How about putting the focus on your second sentence where it belongs. Who cares that Bobrovsky looks better in the preseason (and frankly, I thought Leighton didn't look all that bad against Toronto who was playing what looked like an NHL team while the Flyers were icing the Phantoms)? It's the preseason so does the fact that Darrel Powe is ranked 2nd on the Flyers in goals scored mean that he should be a line ahead of JVR who hasn't lit the lamp yet?

But, here are the top GAA guys in the NHL preseason

NAME GP MIN GA AVG
Gerber, Martin, Edm. 1 30 0 0.00
Karlsson, Henrik, Cgy. 1 40 0 0.00
*Markstrom, Jacob, Fla. 1 28 0 0.00
Miller, Ryan, Buf. 1 30 0 0.00
Sabourin, Dany, Was. 1 31 0 0.00
*Thiessen, Brad, Pit. 1 20 0 0.00
*Varlamov, Semyon, Was. 1 30 0 0.00
*Bishop, Ben, St.L 2 120 1 0.50
Bryzgalov, Ilya, Pho. 2 124 2 0.97

By your logic, I guess Dany Sabourin will compete for the job in Washington since he is playing as well as Varlamov and looks better than Neuvirth? Is Brad Thiessen competing with Fleury in Pittsburgh? Ben Bishop is outplaying newly signed Jaroslav Halak in StL so I guess Halak was a bad signing? And with how bad Brodeur looked in his one appearance, should we expect Mike McKenna or Jeff Frazee to be in NJ instead of Brodeur and Hedberg?

As for Minnesota, the idea of signing a legitimate backup has nothing to do with their starter being able to play 70 games, it's what happens if he gets injured (case in point, Harding). That said I wouldn't say that Theodore is an upgrade over Boucher (and clearly no other NHL teams thing he is an upgrade over their backups either).

Last edited by pelts35.com: 09-27-2010 at 11:45 AM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:17 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
So, Homer should have just looked it up on fate.com then, under the 'meant to be' drop down list?
um yeah....cherry pick my post and take it out of context...you're a funny cat

Homer needed some common sense with Leighton.....period!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:18 PM
dookie88

Quote:
As for Minnesota, the idea of signing a legitimate backup has nothing to do with their starter being able to play 70 games, it's what happens if he gets injured (case in point, Harding). That said I wouldn't say that Theodore is an upgrade over Boucher (and clearly no other NHL teams thing he is an upgrade over their backups either).
1.Minnesota has Khudobin (sp?) who is capable of playing some games.
2.Minnesota doesn't have to win, nobody will kill the GM if they finish 29th instead of 28th in the league.
3."What happens if their starter gets injured?" Every team could ask this question. What happens in VanCity if Luongo gets injured, what happens in Phoenix, in Buffalo....
4.What should we do with Boucher? There's clearly no market for him and this organization won't waive him.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:18 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Just read this from Panaccio

Quote:
tpanotch: No Leighton tomorrow. maybe not for days. More later
It's not much, but it's something.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
By your logic
Leighton and Boucher = the worst goaltedning duet in the NHL. imo It does not get any worse then our goaltending pair. with SJ and Caps right behind us.

Leighton and Theodore better not a lot better but better then Leighton and Boucher imo.

and I do not know why Theo did not sign contract yet, maybe because he wants to be a starter, maybe because of personal reasons (that has to do with death of his child or whatever tragedy he's had.), maybe he wants too much money, maybe he does not have it anymore or maybe he wants to play in Europe. I am just looking at it from skill perspective. Nn paper Theo is better then lets say Boucher.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-27-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old
09-27-2010, 12:39 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I actually would have no issue with Theodore. I like him more than Leighton.
Trust me, you would have HUGE issues with Theodore. When he played here, he was god-awful. You could plug any top-tier ECHL goalie in and get similar results.

Just like Geurin, there is a reason he is still unsigned. Nobody wants a washed up piece of **** on their team.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:42 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Meltzer's take

Much better than Panaccio's typical tweets....

it's true..depending on the severity...the issue is still of trying to evaluate Leighton as a legit #1. The injury just adds to the question marks....this is what happens when you sign a goalie based on loyalty....

Quote:
I fully expect the Flyers to engage in the usual injury song and dance today when Paul Holmgren discussed the results of the MRI on Michael Leighton's back. Anything short of an unexpected announcement that Leighton needs back surgery will be spun as a minor issue that the club is optimistic the goalie can work through and be fine.

Maybe that really is the case. But let's just say the club's injury history, especially with the goalies, and the nature of back problems suggest that this won't be the last we'll hear about Leighton's back this season.

That begs a question, a host of questions actually:

If Leighton was having back problems during the summer, and the club knew about it, then why did the club not come into camp with a backup plan? By "backup" plan, I don't mean Brian Boucher, a rehabbing Johan Backlund or a rookie Sergei Bobrovsky. Even if Leighton were 100% healthy, goaltending would have been the club's biggest question mark heading into camp.

Was Leighton having these "back issues over the summer" before the club elected to sign him to a new contract? If he wasn't, at what point did he inform the club? Did he wait until he was at camp to tell personnel that he'd been battling back issues? If so, I would be all kinds of agitated if I were Paul Holmgren.

Lastly, if Leighton is going to be out for awhile, putting Boucher in the starting role, is the club better off going into the season with Backlund (who may or may not be sufficiently healthy by opening night to play if needed) or Bobrovsky as the backup? Or would the club give its fifth goalie on the depth chart, Nic Riopel, the "prize" of being opening night backup if it comes to it?

Despite Bobrovsky's excellent preseason so far, especially in shootouts, my view has not changed at all. He's better off playing with the Phantoms than backing up (or starting) for the big club. I think his long-term outcome will be better if he isn't rushed.

I don't expect any real answers to be given today, even to the questions that actually can be answered at this point. But count me among those who are more nervous about the Flyers' goaltending situation than we were a week ago at this time. All the "minor problem" spin in the world won't change that until Leighton proves he's healthy, and just as important, proves he deserves the faith the club placed in him.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...92710/45/30405

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Trust me, you would have HUGE issues with Theodore. When he played here, he was god-awful. You could plug any top-tier ECHL goalie in and get similar results.

Just like Geurin, there is a reason he is still unsigned. Nobody wants a washed up piece of **** on their team.
Where?

Old
09-27-2010, 12:54 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Where?
Colorado.

Old
09-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Leighton and Boucher = the worst goaltedning duet in the NHL. imo It does not get any worse then our goaltending pair. with SJ and Caps right behind us.

Leighton and Theodore better not a lot better but better then Leighton and Boucher imo.

and I do not know why Theo did not sign contract yet, maybe because he wants to be a starter, maybe because of personal reasons (that has to do with death of his child or whatever tragedy he's had.), maybe he wants too much money, maybe he does not have it anymore or maybe he wants to play in Europe. I am just looking at it from skill perspective. Nn paper Theo is better then lets say Boucher.
Nabokov had to go the KHL, Niemi is going to have to compete with two other goalies for the starter's role, Biron is a backup, and Turco wasn't signed until far, far into the off-season. It's just a bad market for goalies this summer.

Theodore being unsigned isn't a sleight against him, it's just an indicator of the market for goalies this summer.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Much better than Panaccio's typical tweets....

it's true..depending on the severity...the issue is still of trying to evaluate Leighton as a legit #1. The injury just adds to the question marks....this is what happens when you sign a goalie based on loyalty....
That's actually some really good stuff.

I'm not any more worried about our goaltending then I was before this injury issue arose. I had no faith in Leighton before so I don't care about him being out. Theodore is still a UFA and I think at least one of Backlund (assuming he's healthy) or Bob should be able to at least take the backup role. So I'm actually more comforted about the goalie situation then I was before Leighton got injured.

At least the media is recognizing how much of a dumbass Holmgren is though.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Colorado.
Did you have Boucher in Colorado or Leighton? What about Hackett with Esche?

Who gives a **** about 3-4 years ago Colorado?

Old
09-27-2010, 01:14 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
1.Minnesota has Khudobin (sp?) who is capable of playing some games.
2.Minnesota doesn't have to win, nobody will kill the GM if they finish 29th instead of 28th in the league.
3."What happens if their starter gets injured?" Every team could ask this question. What happens in VanCity if Luongo gets injured, what happens in Phoenix, in Buffalo....
4.What should we do with Boucher? There's clearly no market for him and this organization won't waive him.
You are basing the fact that Khudobin can play "some" games based on what? 1 NHL game played?

As for, what if their starter gets injured, that is why teams carry competent backups. Khudobin is virtually an unknown, yet Minnesota would rather role the dice with him instead of signing Theodore? That tells me all I need to know about Theodore.

Old
09-27-2010, 01:16 PM
DenverBoone

We had Theodore here in Colorado. And since he sucked 3-4 years ago, I imagine he would suck as much if not more now...

Old
09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:

Ok, how about his mediocre play on a good Washington team for the past 2 seasons? Do you give a **** about that?

Old
09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
iceman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
hopefully backlund is almost ready to go to, so we dont have to rush Bobo
Backlund is supposed to be playing this weekend

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
You are basing the fact that Khudobin can play "some" games based on what? 1 NHL game played?

As for, what if their starter gets injured, that is why teams carry competent backups. Khudobin is virtually an unknown, yet Minnesota would rather role the dice with him instead of signing Theodore? That tells me all I need to know about Theodore.
Maybe he is unknown to you but he played in North America for about 3 years now in ECHL, AHL etc etc levels. He is not fresh of the boat goalie that just jumped into NHL.

Not that I am against Bobrovsky. You used a bad example (with Khudobin) imo.

Quote:
Ok, how about his mediocre play on a good Washington team for the past 2 seasons? Do you give a **** about that?
mediocre he is not. Average he is and he is not 4M a year goalie obviosuly. Still he is better than Boucher and I am sure he can give great Leighton a run for his money.

Old
09-27-2010, 01:19 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

So if you're wanting Theodore isn't based off Theodore's past experiences, what are you basing them off of?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

so whats the over/under on leighton playing through an injury he shouldn't, and ending up crippled or some such ********?

what is the over/under on his bones dying?

why is philly the elephant graveyard of the nhl?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
So if you're wanting Theodore isn't based off Theodore's past experiences, what are you basing them off of?
I want Theodore because he can start 30-40 games on relatively high level.
I want Theodore because I do not trust Boucher and Leighton.

I watched Theo because I watched a lot of Washington in last 2 years. He is alright. No he is not top 10-15 or even 20 but he was/is the type of average that we could use on our current team

Old
09-27-2010, 01:23 PM
dookie88

Quote:

I am basing it on opinions from Wild fans on their forum.
I think they have seen more of him than you.

And Boucher is a competent backup.

Off topic, just watched two pre-season clips of the 08 pre-season, I miss Marty B.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote