HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd Round of Cuts (Zuccarello, Grachev to HFD; Semenov, Exelby released)

Old
09-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Disagree on Christensen and Gilroy otherwise it's exactly as I see it. Christensen doesn't bring anything more than Stepan does IMO, and Gilroy is a liability out there defensively.

Stepan has a high hockey IQ and I think would adapt rather quickly to the NHL game given a chance night in and out. Christensen is what he is, he doesn't bring anything more than Stepan at this point and isn't anywhere close as far as potential.

Gilroy could be swapped with Valentenko whom also just needs a little time to adjust I consider them interchangeable except Valentenko has a higher ceiling defensively. Gilroy's offense will never make up for his defensive gaffs.

IMO if we are going to play the youth and deal with some rookie mistakes it might as well be the players who have the most to offer in the long run.
Stepan will definitely be here next year, but I think starting him on that top line is really asking a lot of a young kid and almost setting him up to fail. He has never played an 82 games season and now is being asked to be the top center on a mediocre team? Can anyone say Manny Malhotra? I think if Stepan starts the season here it has mistake written all over it, Christensen is a stop gap. He scored a nice goal yesterday and got robbed by Howard in the 3rd. Christensen should be the starting top center opening night and after a month if he isn't doing well maybe Stepan gets the call up or Sather makes a deal. I really don't see a need to rush Stepan.

I agree that Valentenko would be my choice, but I don't see both Valentenko and McDonagh making the big club. Especially since their games are so similar. Gilroy has looked good enough on the point on the PP and his conditioning apparently is where Torts wants it to be, he will be here unless he is traded IMO. I agree his defense needs some work, but so did MDZ against the devils, I believe he was on the ice for what 3 of the goals against and looked lost after committing the horrific turnover to Parise and then he he did nothing against Kovy, he just looked confused. No one is murdering him but his defensive game looked atrocious.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I agree it's not a good idea to set Stepan up for failure and to handle all prospects with care. However I think he could handle the adjustment but that is just my speculative opinion.

Christensen did score a nice goal but knowing how EC is getting robbed by Howard means he probably won't sleep for a week, he is so wildly inconsistent but I digress a bit, neither Stepan or Christensen will help this team be a contender this year so staying the course may very well be the best option. However if that is the case why not move Prospal back to center on the top line and carry another wing? Just food for thought.

To add to the defense debate, MDZ may need work on D but he also had 4pts in the game and will make up for some of his lapses with a strong offensive contribution. My thoughts on Gilroy is that his negatives outweigh his positives. I do agree however that he'll probably stay up to start based on his waiver status.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:44 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
After the final cuts my lineup would be:

Frolov-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Drury-Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Prospal
Boogard-Boyle-Prust
Fedotenko, Kennedy

Staal-Girardi
Del Zotto-Rozsival
McDonaugh-Gilroy
Semenov

Lundqvist
Biron
I don't agree with your lines but I do agree with those players making the team.

Gilroy has something going for him that Sauer, Vtank, McD, Semenov, Exelby, and Eminger don't. He brings offense. Right now, MDZ is our only real offensive d-man. The rest of those guys can all be grouped into the same category: defensive d-men who can play physical. I don't see Torts bringing on 3 of the same type of player.

IMO, Gilroy will make the team. If he drops off like he did last season, he gets sent to Hartford. Simple as that.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:48 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
That Gomez trade is looking better every day. First we got Higgins. Ok, so we thought we dumped a salary and picked up a third liner, that works, we were happy. Then it turned out that we got McD also. Now we were happy, even ecstatic. Then we also learned about Vally, but nobody really thought much about that acquisition, especially after he left for the KHL.

The original fear was that the Habs gave up on McD for a reason. But he kept improving, slowly but surely. Suddenly, he became a real option to play for the Rangers this preseason. Then Vally starts playing and he establishes himself as a future or even current NHLer.

Gomez will likely result in two solid NHL defensemen. Neither will be a game-breaker, but both will be useful.

If they become one solid second pairing defenseman and one solid third pairing defenseman, I would be very happy.

My hope is that they could do for us for 10-12 years what Lowe/Wells did in the 1993-94 season. Would be really nice.
I knew the trade was gold when Gordie Clark said McD was like a smaller Staal

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I knew the trade was gold when Gordie Clark said McD was like a smaller Staal

Poor Bob Gainey lost his job before this all became evident.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Vitto79

no news on cuts ?

After being at the game last night you have to like Valatenko's grit but I think he can get some more experience in Hartford. Sauer would likely go down too but they will likely wait till teams are sent and do it at the last second so he is not claimed

Exelby released. Eminger should go down but I bet he gets another game.

McD and Gilroy looked good together. My vote goes to them right now for the bottom pairing with Semenov 7th

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Semenov and Exelby released per Brooks

Grachev, MZA, Weise, Byers, Newbury sent down.

http://twitter.com/nyp_brooksie

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:09 AM
AJRanger

Surprised MZA's been sent down already. Knew it'd probably happen but thought he'd perhaps get another game. Grachev, no surprise.

PLAYERS ASSIGNED TO HARTFORD (AHL) ON 9/27/10:
Goal (1): Chad Johnson
Defense (1): Wade Redden
Forward (6): Dane Byers*, Evgeny Grachev, Kris Newbury*, Dale Weise, Jeremy Williams*, Mats Zuccarello
* Player must clear waivers prior to being assigned to Hartford

PLAYERS RELEASED FROM TRYOUT AGREEMENTS ON 9/27/10:
Defense (3): Garnet Exelby, Brandon Manning, Alexei Semenov

PLAYERS STILL IN NEW YORK RANGERS TRAINING CAMP:
Goal (2): Martin Biron, Henrik Lundqvist
Defense (9): Michael Del Zotto, Steve Eminger, Matt Gilroy, Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, Michal Rozsival, Michael Sauer, Marc Staal, Pavel Valentenko
Forward (16): Artem Anisimov, Sean Avery, Derek Boogaard, Brian Boyle, Ryan Callahan, Erik Christensen, Chris Drury, Brandon Dubinsky, Ruslan Fedotenko, Alex Frolov, Marian Gaborik, Tim Kennedy, Vinny Prospal, Brandon Prust, Derek Stepan, Todd White

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:13 AM
haveandare

Very surprised both about MZA being sent down early and by Semenov being released.

Hopefully MZA and Grachev will do some serious work together in Hartford.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
azrok22

vCash: 50
I'm most surprised about Semenov.

Looks like at least 2 and possibly 3 of: McDonagh, Gilroy, Sauer or Valentenko make the team.

EDIT: I take that back. I'm surprised Eminger is still on the team. I guess he's going to be #7? I don't like that move.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Declan
HFB Partner

No surprises IMO. I thought Semenov might get a contract for the 7th dman role but I'm not surprised that he didn't at the same time

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:14 AM
OverTheCap

Surprised that Semenov was released.

Rangers are gonna have a real young defense this year.

Glad to see that Sauer is being given a real opportunity to make this team.

Didn't think MZA would get cut so soon either but I'm not sure if he was NHL-ready anyway.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:16 AM
CH2

Finally this crap with Semenov is over. If we didn't have more than 7 d-men under contract I could see him sticking around, but we do have a bunch of kids who have looked good. I think the way he played last night and both Sauer and Valentenko's play positionally made him expendable.

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-Rosival
Sauer-McD
Valentenko or Gilroy

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:17 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Picking Eminger over Semenov for the 7th d-men role is/will be a mistake.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Surprised MZA's been sent down already. Knew it'd probably happen but thought he'd perhaps get another game. Grachev, no surprise.

PLAYERS ASSIGNED TO HARTFORD (AHL) ON 9/27/10:
Goal (1): Chad Johnson
Defense (1): Wade Redden
Forward (6): Dane Byers*, Evgeny Grachev, Kris Newbury*, Dale Weise, Jeremy Williams*, Mats Zuccarello
* Player must clear waivers prior to being assigned to Hartford

PLAYERS RELEASED FROM TRYOUT AGREEMENTS ON 9/27/10:
Defense (3): Garnet Exelby, Brandon Manning, Alexei Semenov

PLAYERS STILL IN NEW YORK RANGERS TRAINING CAMP:
Goal (2): Martin Biron, Henrik Lundqvist
Defense (9): Michael Del Zotto, Steve Eminger, Matt Gilroy, Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, Michal Rozsival, Michael Sauer, Marc Staal, Pavel Valentenko
Forward (16): Artem Anisimov, Sean Avery, Derek Boogaard, Brian Boyle, Ryan Callahan, Erik Christensen, Chris Drury, Brandon Dubinsky, Ruslan Fedotenko, Alex Frolov, Marian Gaborik, Tim Kennedy, Vinny Prospal, Brandon Prust, Derek Stepan, Todd White
They both accomplished about the same during pre season. Zilch. Zuke shows heart and promise but a year in the * never hurt anyone. Grachev needs to assert himself more, maybe this will wake him up. I'm confident he has talent just needs to start taking over.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Semenov>Eminger.

(Whoops.)

Fedotenko still around, but at least one cut likely left for the forwards, and two for the defense.

Zuccarello is in Hartford as he should be

Why is White still here if he allegedly would "never see a game in a ranger uniform"

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:19 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Picking Eminger over Semenov for the 7th d-men role is/will be a mistake.
Agreed 100%. Personally, I'm now hoping for Sauer to be the 7th d-man.

One of McDonagh/Valentenko for the #5 spot (LD), Gilroy for the #6 spot (RD) + 2nd pp unit, Sauer for the #7 spot (since he'd need to clear waivers, I believe), and Eminger in the AHL/ECHL/Backyard Hockey League.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Semenov>Eminger.

(Whoops.)

Fedotenko still around, but at least one cut likely left for the forwards, and two for the defense.

Zuccarello is in Hartford as he should be
I very much hope one of the cuts is Eminger. He is awful.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Not surprised about Grachev. He's not ready, and needs another year in Hartford. I am a little surprised MZA went so quickly. Good to see Sauer still around. He's had one good game and one bad game. Torterella must want to see more. Very surprised to see Semenov gone so quickly.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Semenov and Exelby released per Brooks

Grachev, MZA, Weise, Byers, Newbury sent down.

http://twitter.com/nyp_brooksie
I hope all the folks saying MZA would score 20 - 30 this yr in the NHL are ok

Kidding. I thought he'd be one of the last cut if he was gonna get cut... but then again I missed all the pre-season games.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Note that of the 9 dmen, 5 are right handed shots. Rozsival, Girardi, Eminger, Sauer, Gilroy

4 are left shots; Staal, Del Zotto, mcDonagh, Valentenko

that means;

A. Either McDonagh or Valentenko will be in the opening night lineup barring a desperation move of Gilroy to the left side

B. Sauer's competition is Eminger and Gilroy.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
NYR Viper

None of those players surprise me. Torts wanted to get his numbers down. I am a little disappointed in Weise being sent down, he looked ready IMO but the numbers game didn't work in his favor.

I don't think Eminger will be around much longer. I think it will be either Gilroy OR Eminger and Gilroy is the better player. With his groin strain, I think they want to give him a couple more days to get healthy and give it one last shot.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Semenov is a shock I figured he was going to stick. MZA LOL i told you guys maybe down the road but right now he is just way to small and needs to adjust to smaller rinks. I have a strange feeling the Rangers will trade for a defensemen in the next few days. Glidechev needs a 25-30 goal season in the AHL. Let the kid take his time and push him to work harder

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm absolutely fine with all of these moves...except for Semenov. He's better than Eminger.

Kennedy needs to go next.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:25 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
In my opinion, if it's a fact that somebody's going to be sent down, there's no reason to keep them up when they could be in training camp with their teammates. Doing well in Hartford is going to be vital for these guys. The sooner they start on that task the better. And it was obvious that MZA wasn't going to be on the team.

I should say though, I was one of the very skeptical ones about him. However, after having seen him in his first training camp, I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually does make his way onto the club. He's overwhelmed and intimidated at the moment. The surface and the difference is too much for him right now. Still he showed flashes in both games. He doesn't have any of these "super talents" that people blindly hyped about him. But he does have some ability. If he can apply his pressure game to this surface and figure out how to create space and find his spots, he could conceivably do well in spite of his size. Having said that, it's still an uphill battle for him as he really doesn't have those all world talents that are going to let him "cheat" out there.

Grachev looks like he looked in Hartford... errr... Connecticut. People swear he is going to "be a player for sure". So, I'll keep hoping they are correct. Because he sure is big.

Semenov and Exelby I'm not surprised about either given what Valentenko has shown. His physical upside must have management salivating. If I had to guess I'd say Gilroy and Valentenko make the team. Then they might go with Eminger as a 7 D for his experience and so McD can get playing time in Hartford... with the Whale... bah!

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote