HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd Round of Cuts (Zuccarello, Grachev to HFD; Semenov, Exelby released)

Old
09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Only surprise too me was that Semenov was release and that Eminger is still here. Guess we now know Torts and Sullivan defintely play favorites cause Eminger didn't look nearly as good as Semenov.

I'd expect to see this
Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Girardi
McDonagh-Gilroy

Sauer as the 7th man

I'd prefer Valentenko make the team, but he would be best suited to get a ton of minutes in the ahl level and work on his game a bit more, but we will just have to see.

I still see a chance Gilroy is traded.

Eminger doesn't deserve to be the 7th man IMO, but they may keep him over Sauer, which would be a mistake.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
MZA and Grachev will probably play together in Hartford as well, maybe they can build some nice LW RW Chemistry so when we put Stepan/Anisimov between them they are ready to go.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Viper

The team has some difficult decisions in respect to the forwards. Stepan is the only player left with no NHL experience. For such a young team, they have some experience.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
None of those players surprise me. Torts wanted to get his numbers down. I am a little disappointed in Weise being sent down, he looked ready IMO but the numbers game didn't work in his favor.

I don't think Eminger will be around much longer. I think it will be either Gilroy OR Eminger and Gilroy is the better player. With his groin strain, I think they want to give him a couple more days to get healthy and give it one last shot.
Hopefully that's the same thing they're doing with White. If we go into the season with more than $4m in cap space, we'll have a lot of options at the deadline (assuming we're still in it, which is far from a given).

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:28 PM
HockeyBurd*

I don't know if this makes any sense but I'm kind of disappointed that Fedotenko has looked so good.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:28 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Only surprise too me was that Semenov was release and that Eminger is still here. Guess we now know Torts and Sullivan defintely play favorites cause Eminger didn't look nearly as good as Semenov.

I'd expect to see this
Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Girardi
McDonagh-Gilroy

Sauer as the 7th man

I'd prefer Valentenko make the team, but he would be best suited to get a ton of minutes in the ahl level and work on his game a bit more, but we will just have to see.

I still see a chance Gilroy is traded.

Eminger doesn't deserve to be the 7th man IMO, but they may keep him over Sauer, which would be a mistake.
Eminger has had a groin problem. Not making an excuse for the guy but I think they may want to give him a little more time to get healthy before just giving up on him. Plus, as a 7th defenseman he has some experience and they can allow the younger players to play a lot in the AHL.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:29 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Note that of the 9 dmen, 5 are right handed shots. Rozsival, Girardi, Eminger, Sauer, Gilroy

4 are left shots; Staal, Del Zotto, mcDonagh, Valentenko

that means;

A. Either McDonagh or Valentenko will be in the opening night lineup barring a desperation move of Gilroy to the left side

B. Sauer's competition is Eminger and Gilroy.
I think this makes Eminger the 7th D-man.

Essentially, it's McD v. Valentenko and Sauer v. Gilroy. (Unless Sather decides to move Roszival.)

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:30 PM
azrok22

I think Sauer or Gilroy could be considered for the 7th spot, considering they'd both need to go through waivers, I believe (Gilroy definitely would, and Sauer I'm pretty sure would).

Old
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Eminger has had a groin problem. Not making an excuse for the guy but I think they may want to give him a little more time to get healthy before just giving up on him. Plus, as a 7th defenseman he has some experience and they can allow the younger players to play a lot in the AHL.
But Sauer has to pass through waivers and I could see him being claimed. We will have to see how Eminger looks if he gets another game, but I'd prefer Valentenko or Sauer over him anyday.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

If we lose anyone, I think Byers is going to get claimed by someone.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
John Torturella

Interesting that Zuccarello was cut so soon. Not sure I agree with that. Semenov being released is a bit surprising.

It looks like we are going young on defense. Theyre probably playing for the 6th spot right now. McDonagh has looked rock solid, he should have the 5th spot locked down.

I dont think Sauer has what Torts is looking for to be a regular player. That leaves Gilroy and Valentenko to fight it out for the 6th spot.

If it is Gilroy and Valentenko, I think the edge goes to Valentenko. He brings an element of physicality and defense first play that Gilroy does not have at all. His hitting and shot blocking make our defense look much grittier than if Gilroy is in there.

The defense looks like:
Staal-Girardi
Del Zotto-Rozsival
McDonagh-Valentenko
Sauer/Eminger

A very, very young defense with lots of grit and talent.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:31 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Hopefully that's the same thing they're doing with White. If we go into the season with more than $4m in cap space, we'll have a lot of options at the deadline (assuming we're still in it, which is far from a given).
Yeah, Hartford could be very good this season if White and Eminger are sent down and all play up to their potential in the AHL.....

Grachev-White-MZA
Weise-Williams-Newbury

Redden-Eminger
Sauer/Valentenko

Old
TreeSapLlama

A little surprised about Semenov, but realistically, he didn’t play better then Gilroy or Sauer or Valentenko at any point, so why keep him around.

Not surprised by MZA or Grachev cuts. Both players showed brief flashes but need more experience. I do forsee both being called up at some point in the year, MZA most likely first. I do wish I could have seen Grachev in HD though, he looked huge in the online streams.

I am really torn between who I want in our last 2 D spots. McDonagh, Valentenko, Gilroy, Sauer and the only ones I want near our roster. I was initially leaning towards McD and V, but Gilroy looked greatly improved. He laid the body a few times, and looked a hell of a lot stronger then last year when a breeze would have knocked him down.

If Roszival has any lingering issues, I wouldn’t hate to see McD, Valentenko, and Gilroy all get some time. I really like Valentenko’s grit and it is nice to have a defenseman who actually likes to shoot, but I do see Gilroy slightly ahead of him.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

Its conflicting to me because with each battle, I think one guy we need more right now, but the other has a higher upside.

We need Sauer to be a 3rd pairing Girardi and steady defensive force for our team. But Gilroy has the potential for higher goal output.

We need Valentenko as a physical force and our Volchenkov, that we really havent had since Kasparitus. But McDonagh is going to be the much better defenseman some day.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Interesting that Zuccarello was cut so soon. Not sure I agree with that. Semenov being released is a bit surprising.

It looks like we are going young on defense. Theyre probably playing for the 6th spot right now. McDonagh has looked rock solid, he should have the 5th spot locked down.

I dont think Sauer has what Torts is looking for to be a regular player. That leaves Gilroy and Valentenko to fight it out for the 6th spot.

If it is Gilroy and Valentenko, I think the edge goes to Valentenko. He brings an element of physicality and defense first play that Gilroy does not have at all. His hitting and shot blocking make our defense look much grittier than if Gilroy is in there.

The defense looks like:
Staal-Girardi
Del Zotto-Rozsival
McDonagh-Valentenko
Sauer/Eminger

Don't think both McDonagh and Valentenko making it is an option, because they're both LD (edit: except in a 7th d-man role, but I don't think either should be subjected to 7th d-man status).

Old
09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
beastly115

Semenov cut? TBH, I thought he had a better game than Sauer did yesterday...

Hopefully they're just letting Eminger get healthy before they cut him.

So it's down to Gilroy, McD, Vtank, and Sauer for 3 spots. 1 of them has to go.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Eminger's got a contract and Semenov doesn't. Do you want to burn up another one of your allotted (50) for a minor upgrade at a position that will, hopefully, not see a lot of ice time? I don't.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Blueblood 2

MZA will be back. Just getting him out of the way for now. They know what he can do. Forwards who are still around are being evaluated for cutting. All but Stepan have NHL experience. Those are the guys who need to worry.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:34 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post

The defense looks like:
Staal-Girardi
Del Zotto-Rozsival
McDonagh-Valentenko
Sauer/Eminger

I'm actually going to argue the opposite. Vtank has more grit, but Gilroy has more offense. If we're talking pairing with McD, Gilroy makes more sense. He has a year of NHL experience, he brings offense, and IMO, he has had a good camp. It makes more sense to pair an offensive d-man with a defensive d-man (like McD) than to have 2 rookie defensive d-men.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:34 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I think Sauer is still around because there's a chance we'll lose him if he's sent to the A.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:37 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

but, but, but.... he led the sel in scoring and wore that gold helmet. and he uses a freakishly long stick. but when you are like 4'11, you better be martin st louis the moment you step on the ice or you are going to hartford. he wasnt. and he is.

this whole "mza will play 2nd line lw" stuff was um...premature. not happening.

welcome to the team mr ftank. hes been decent- that goal was sweet, but i still say that he cant/doesnt want to/wont play much defense.

hes a torts guy though, so alot of that doesnt matter.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:38 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Eminger's got a contract and Semenov doesn't. Do you want to burn up another one of your allotted (50) for a minor upgrade at a position that will, hopefully, not see a lot of ice time? I don't.
I just happen to think Eminger is especially useless, and don't see how it makes any sense to carry a 7th d-man eating up over 1 mill in cap space when you can grab a better one who gives you more of what you need (size) at close to half the price.

Your point is certainly valid, though.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:38 PM
NYRCC

im not sure i think mza should've been cut. he hasn't done anything on the score sheet but i really like his game. he forechecks like a man posessed and that's something i really want to see more of on this team.

i'm starting to wonder about mcd and stepan making the team. at first i thought mcd was a lock. then i started drinking the kool aid on stepan as well. I thought they'd both be here but now i'm really not so sure. i think i'm leaning toward both starting the year in hartford. let them play a ton of minutes and get used to the rigors of a long season.

really don't like that eminger is still here. scratch that. i actually hate that he's still here.

my guess is most of these guys will be back up at some point or another before the year is over.

if chad johnson didn't blow, hartford could be much improved this year.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:39 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I still think a trade could be coming, too much talent on the back end, and it is a bit too stuffy up front.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
dccuse

Send stepan down

Rather see stepan start in the A. If he dominates there then we can call him up later in the season when he's already hot, let him work off the momentum, also gives him an easier place to practice taking control of the professional game. Also, he can work with grachev and maybe Zuc to develop chemistry and a line that could eventually make the shift, in tact, up to the big leagues.

Let Christensen center gabby and frolov for now. We all know hes just a placeholder but right now hes more comfortable than stepan and can maybe help us win a few games until stepan has dominated a level below.

Yes stepan in the nhl would be exciting, and yes he's probably capable. But over the longhaul hell probably be slightly overmatched/worndown - let him work on the pro game - he's 20, theres really no urgency as far as how quick he gets to nhl ice. Let him build the confidence that he can dominate.

I like the way things are shaping up. The year is going to start out with more of a veteran presence in the forward slots with young guys pushing from every position to get the call up (grachev, step, zuc).

Frolov Christ Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Avery
Prospal Drury Callahan
Boyle Kennedy Prust
Boogaard

I think white gets cut.

Then as the year progresses avery is being pushed, prospal is being pushed, boyle is being pushed (weise). Hopefully stepan can hover under a ppg in the A and push christensen to the point where he's unloadable.

Season finishes

Frolov Anisimov/Stepan Gaborik
Dubinsky Stepan/Anisimov Zucc
Prospal Drury Callahan
Weise kennedy Prust
Boogard

Gradual infusion rather than sending out a team with 4/5 rookies (including D). Still need to aim for the playoffs.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote