HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Why is it the worst player on a team....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2010, 11:03 AM
  #1
Blueshockey2*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St.Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
Why is it the worst player on a team....

Is the one who chirps and runs their mouths?

Had a game yesterday, my team was 6-1 heading into the game, team we were playing was 1-7, we only had 5 skaters and picked up a D league goalie to fill in because our goalie didn't show, plus 4 out of the 5 of us were up in the bar having a few beers watching football before the game..

Anyways, I go into the corner after a puck, the defenseman cross checks me across the shoulder blades I move the puck and shove him and start skating to get open, he starts chirping and asks what am I going to do, so I stop, turn and start skating towards him and he starts skating backwards away from me talking sheet, so I give him a pretty good cross check across the chest, he drops like he was shot and starts screaming at the officials because there was no call... The play goes the other way, he goes off (we were losing 2-0 at the time), he starts chirping at me from the bench asking how I like losing,etc,etc...I was like "Dude your 1-7....You probably haven't scored a goal yet this session"


Done with my rant but I just like how the worst player decides to chirp and acts like a baby when he's talking sheet and someone stands up to him

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:35 AM
  #2
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
He isn't very good, so he feels the need to compensate for it with intensity. He got in your head, accomplishing pretty much exactly what he wanted to do. You really just have to ignore those guys.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:36 AM
  #3
jlnjcb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Not necessarily, I was one of the worst players on my team, and I knew I should just keep my mouth shut.

Probably since he just wanted to provide something to his team, and since he couldn't do anything else he resorted to trash talking.

jlnjcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:40 AM
  #4
PDX Coyotes
 
PDX Coyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
He got in your head, accomplishing pretty much exactly what he wanted to do. You really just have to ignore those guys.
This is exactly right, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Conversely, he mouthed off, you x-checked him to the ice, and there was no call... I'd say you accomplished exactly what you wanted to do, also.

PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:06 PM
  #5
Blueshockey2*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St.Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
He isn't very good, so he feels the need to compensate for it with intensity. He got in your head, accomplishing pretty much exactly what he wanted to do. You really just have to ignore those guys.
I guess so, I just see it alot where I play. I usually play in B league and every now and then I'll fill in with some friends teams in D league, seems like the B league boys (most of us have played college and then some) are just out there to play hockey, but the D leagues there's always someone looking to fight or run their mouths

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:35 PM
  #6
FiveAndAGame
Registered User
 
FiveAndAGame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Sometimes thats just how people are. I'm not the worst player on my team, but I have a big mouth and love to get under peoples skin. For some people, its just a personality thing. And for others, its all about doing what they can to help their team.

FiveAndAGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
  #7
robmneilson
Registered User
 
robmneilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 406
vCash: 500
Gotta love getting chirped like that. I've found that smiling at them and saying variations of "love you buddy" pisses them off even more.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:09 PM
  #8
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Openicehit6 View Post
I guess so, I just see it alot where I play. I usually play in B league and every now and then I'll fill in with some friends teams in D league, seems like the B league boys (most of us have played college and then some) are just out there to play hockey, but the D leagues there's always someone looking to fight or run their mouths
Haha, yeah I've seen that too.

Remember that D leaguers are the ones who started hockey late, were absolutely terrible at competitive hockey, or otherwise never made it beyond house league. For some of these guys, this is the closest thing to competitive hockey with a true team mentality that they'll ever get. Can you really blame them for wanting to give it their all? I hear you though... there's a difference between playing with intensity and flapping your gums like an idiot.

In the higher divisions, guys played competitive hockey before. They had their time playing hard-nosed, competitive hockey and are really just playing for fitness and for love of the game. On the flipside, I've seen high-level guys who just don't know how to "turn it off". They've played hockey with that aggressive edge all their life, and just don't know how to play without it.

I find that C level is the worst where I play. These are guys who played some competitive hockey in the past, but weren't that great. For some reason, C division is full of hotheads and guys who think they're better than they really are. I'm guessing these are the guys who couldn't hack it at the college hockey level.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:56 PM
  #9
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,515
vCash: 500
Most new/bad players are not chirpy d-bags, but I definitely do find that most chirpy d-bags are quite bad at hockey. As noobman said, they can't really play the game, so try chirp to at least do SOMETHING. Personally though I always find I play quite a bit better when people chirp or pull dirty moves, gets me a bit more intense and into the game myself. I'm definitely not the ignore it type though, hit me in a non contact league and I will definitely hit you harder right back.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:05 PM
  #10
Nbr-17
Registered User
 
Nbr-17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stouffville, ON
Country: Germany
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Openicehit6 View Post
I guess so, I just see it alot where I play. I usually play in B league and every now and then I'll fill in with some friends teams in D league, seems like the B league boys (most of us have played college and then some) are just out there to play hockey, but the D leagues there's always someone looking to fight or run their mouths
Maybe the D league players are just pissed when a B leaguer needs to come down and show off his stuff

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:11 PM
  #11
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan
 
Jimmy Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,244
vCash: 500
I'm the worst player on my team, but I've only ever mouthed off twice at an opposing player.

Once was when we had a bunch of guys not show up on our team and were therefore getting wrecked on the scoreboard by our "rival" team (this is rec roller league, only our rivals cause they're captain and our captain have bad history. Most of their guys are cool though), whom we'd beaten earlier in the season by a few goals. The biggest a-hole on their team scores a goal (making it 7-2 or something like that) and then swings his leg over his stick and rides it down the full length of the court, pumping his fist and screaming, then does the "shhhhh" thing as he goes by our bench (still riding his stick). So our bench started yelling at him for being so unsportsmanlike, especially since minus him and 1 other guy they had, most of our team was friends with their team.

Only other time was in retaliation to being chirped at, kinda like the OP had happen to him. I was crashing the net for a rebound and the opposing defender shoved me into his own goalie, knocking the goalie's stick out. So I get up and try to circle the net to get back in the play (rebound kicked out and the other team was rushing our zone), and start feeling cross checks in the back. I wasn't even fully up so I fell back down and kept getting cross checked by the defender that shoved me, as he's yelling "Don't knock out my goalies stick!". He keeps yelling even as the ref is pulling him towards the box to serve his crosschecking penalty so I just yell back "He'd have it if you didn't shove me into him" and he yells "You're getting the wall next shift!" and I reply "yeah, we'll see". I played near the boards the whole rest of the game, dude never even came near me. Probably realized that I out-sized him by quite a bit and thought better of his threat

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:14 PM
  #12
Blueshockey2*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St.Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
Maybe the D league players are just pissed when a B leaguer needs to come down and show off his stuff
I usually don't try or play as if I was playing in a B league game

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:19 PM
  #13
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan
 
Jimmy Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAndAGame View Post
Sometimes thats just how people are. I'm not the worst player on my team, but I have a big mouth and love to get under peoples skin. For some people, its just a personality thing. And for others, its all about doing what they can to help their team.
I love getting under peoples skin, but I guess my personality just doesn't translate into taunting to do so. I'm real soft-spoken and never get into fights off the ice, so to get under peoples skin I usually just camp out in front of the opposing goalie and refuse to move. I've set up teammates with open shots cause I've had both the goalie and the defender so focused on moving me. Next time in their zone, do the same thing and they get pissed off. It's why I wear real big shin guards cause they're always hacking at them, especially the goalie

Although if I'm playing pickup with all guys that I'm good buddies with, I'll chirp or start a friendly (no face punches, pulling all punches) fight just to be funny, cause friends are always chirping at each other, hockey or not lol

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:51 PM
  #14
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,369
vCash: 500
I just always laugh at guys like that and play friendly. Doesn't distract you if you are makin somethin fun out of it, and it just pisses them off even more.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:56 PM
  #15
FiveAndAGame
Registered User
 
FiveAndAGame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJimmyCarterC View Post
I love getting under peoples skin, but I guess my personality just doesn't translate into taunting to do so. I'm real soft-spoken and never get into fights off the ice, so to get under peoples skin I usually just camp out in front of the opposing goalie and refuse to move. I've set up teammates with open shots cause I've had both the goalie and the defender so focused on moving me. Next time in their zone, do the same thing and they get pissed off. It's why I wear real big shin guards cause they're always hacking at them, especially the goalie
I have some anger issues, but I've never once taken it out on other people. I'm a fairly small guy, but I'm not afraid to take on guys in the corners and in front to get the puck. I actually had a playoff game a few months ago that had a pretty interesting scenario... I parked myself in front of the goalie, and the defenseman(who was about 6'3, and I'm under 6' on a good day)turns around and cross checks me in the chest, causing me to roll backwards into the goalie. The goalie yells at me to get out of his crease, cross checks me in the back. And then the defenseman turned around and cross checked me BACK into the crease... Happened for about 3 minutes straight, with the defender and goalie crying their hearts out to the ref(who is a very good friend of mine). He told me I need to try to stay out of the crease more, and he was gonna tell the defenseman to not push me into the crease anymore. It was pretty funny.

And as for my methods, its not so much taunting. Its just a lot of little yapping and sarcastic comments. I always have something to say, and having played against the people in this league for as long as I have, I generally know how to push everyones buttons. And up until now, I've only ever had one real retaliation for my antagonizing tactics. I've had a few guys get in my face over, but I had one guy try to pull a Todd Bertuzzi on me. He cross checked me right in the face in the corner, and as we were skating the other way, I skated past him and game him a little whack on the stick. After I had gotten past him, he gave me a nice haymaker to the side of the head... I had a blast while we were in the penalty box. For the rest of the game, everyone knew when "Big Bert" was on the ice

I'm not sure why I find it so fun to bother people, but I don't plan on stopping any time soon.

FiveAndAGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:03 PM
  #16
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,487
vCash: 500
It depends on personality, but I notice a lot of guys who are playing above their level get frustrated and then get chippy or start running their mouths. A lot of the guys who play down don't get frustrated and usually don't go 100% so they stay pretty calm.

I also find it funny how the worst guys on the time usually offer the most advice.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:16 PM
  #17
Blueshockey2*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St.Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
Don't get me wrong, I'll chirp when needed, but I just get a kick out of the worst players on the other team are the ones that decide they want to jaw jack.

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:17 PM
  #18
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It depends on personality, but I notice a lot of guys who are playing above their level get frustrated and then get chippy or start running their mouths. A lot of the guys who play down don't get frustrated and usually don't go 100% so they stay pretty calm.

I also find it funny how the worst guys on the time usually offer the most advice.
I actually thought that this was going to be the subject because it happens a lot more than the guy running his mouth.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:39 PM
  #19
HVPOLARBEARS19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY
Country: Israel
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
It's very simple as far as I'm concerned. Good players let their play do the talking. Bad players let their mouths do the talking.

Now, you will occasionally get the really good player who is a D-bag and thinks he is so much better than everyone else, and you also get a lot of the lowest level players not causing any problems, but generally, that seems to be the case.

For me, I played at a decently high/competitive level, and now I play men's league, where I'm one of the top players in the league (the league is decent I suppose, nothing amazing though). I have played in intense, full-contact games in front of packed arenas, so I'm really not going to go nuts over a men's league game and try to hurt someone. I play hard, but I can honestly say I have never once tried to cheap shot someone in men's league (or any league that I can remember).

But, for a lot of these guys, they never got to play contact. It's funny, because every guy you meet who doesn't play hockey always says the same thing..."oh man, if I played hockey I'd just go around wrecking everybody"...no, you wouldn't because you can't skate, and the weakest kid who could skate would destroy you simply due to lack of balance. But, all of these guys who are new to playing the game, or just aren't any good at anything else, start to assume the role of the "goon". Not only is the league non-contact, but everyone in the league can fly right around these guys, making it so even if they were allowed to throw a check, they wouldn't be able to connect...so what do they do? Resort to cheap stuff after the play when people are standing still, stick work, other crap when no one is looking.

Unfortunately it seems like it will never go away...just keep your head up I suppose.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:07 PM
  #20
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I also find it funny how the worst guys on the time usually offer the most advice.
Ugh, that's one that really annoys me. No, I'm not going to dump the puck because I'm good enough to gain the zone with possession and create scoring opportunities without doing so.

IRTT

I find that the better I play the more I get chirped, so I take it as a compliment.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:38 PM
  #21
Pog Form
Registered User
 
Pog Form's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I find that C level is the worst where I play. These are guys who played some competitive hockey in the past, but weren't that great. For some reason, C division is full of hotheads and guys who think they're better than they really are. I'm guessing these are the guys who couldn't hack it at the college hockey level.
Yeah, C is the absolute worst and it's the division I always play in because of my skill level. So many fights and scrums, it's ridiculous. Like it's 11:30 p.m. on a Monday night and everyone has work in the morning. Just relax and have fun.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:40 PM
  #22
densetsu
 
densetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
I took my first penalty as a beer league goalie, ever, last weekend. It's been about five years since I started men's league.

It's a tie game with under 10 minutes left, and one guy -- easily the most skilled player on their B-league team -- went for a wraparound, but my defenceman got in his way. The puck slides from behind/beside the net to the post, so I froze it between the post and my skate with my stick, putting my glove on top of for good measure. The whistle blows. All of the sudden, the guy comes and gives two good hacks at the back of my trapper.

My two defencemen came in pretty quick to push him away, but I guess my frustration got the better of me, and I got up and facewashed him with my trapper. I'm fairly mild-mannered, so doing something like this is way out of character for me. A big scrum started, and after all the penalties were dished out, my facewash gave them a 2-minute man advantage.

Right after the penalty kill ended, a low shot came in from the point; I went down into butterfly, made an easy save, and froze the rebound against my pad. The same guy came in, gave me two hacks after the whistle again, and mouthed off to me. I stood up, gave him a silent poker face, and stared him down. A message to tell him "I might have lost my cool before, but I'm not letting you under my skin again." And again, my defencemen came in and threw some words his way.

He never got a penalty for either incident, but I stopped all their shots after the first incident, and we scored the game winner on a SH breakaway in the last minute. The way I figure it, that's got to sting more than any physical thing I could have done to that guy.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:44 PM
  #23
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
See:


flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:13 PM
  #24
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan
 
Jimmy Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAndAGame View Post
I have some anger issues, but I've never once taken it out on other people. I'm a fairly small guy, but I'm not afraid to take on guys in the corners and in front to get the puck. I actually had a playoff game a few months ago that had a pretty interesting scenario... I parked myself in front of the goalie, and the defenseman(who was about 6'3, and I'm under 6' on a good day)turns around and cross checks me in the chest, causing me to roll backwards into the goalie. The goalie yells at me to get out of his crease, cross checks me in the back. And then the defenseman turned around and cross checked me BACK into the crease... Happened for about 3 minutes straight, with the defender and goalie crying their hearts out to the ref(who is a very good friend of mine). He told me I need to try to stay out of the crease more, and he was gonna tell the defenseman to not push me into the crease anymore. It was pretty funny.

And as for my methods, its not so much taunting. Its just a lot of little yapping and sarcastic comments. I always have something to say, and having played against the people in this league for as long as I have, I generally know how to push everyones buttons. And up until now, I've only ever had one real retaliation for my antagonizing tactics. I've had a few guys get in my face over, but I had one guy try to pull a Todd Bertuzzi on me. He cross checked me right in the face in the corner, and as we were skating the other way, I skated past him and game him a little whack on the stick. After I had gotten past him, he gave me a nice haymaker to the side of the head... I had a blast while we were in the penalty box. For the rest of the game, everyone knew when "Big Bert" was on the ice

I'm not sure why I find it so fun to bother people, but I don't plan on stopping any time soon.
Sounds like I'd like to play both with and against you. I have the most fun playing against people that play a similar style to mine. Sometimes it's even disappointing to have no one battle me in front of the net, though it makes my job pretty easy

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:38 PM
  #25
greyraven8
Registered User
 
greyraven8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
maybe he was trying to draw a penalty (or offsetting minors) and got upset when he didn't get a call - since you team was short handed he was trying to make your team more shorthanded, and get his team a rare win.

he may also have been frustrated playing on a team that rarely wins, or he was just a jerk.

in my experience, often it is not the worst player (as far a ability) on a team who mouths off, but it's usually the same guys on the same teams doing stupid things to leave their team shorthanded a lot.

on one beer league team i played on the guy who 2nd or 3rd in scoring on the team had twice the penalty minutes of anyone else. a lot of the extra minutes were from mouthing off to the ref.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.