HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Internet. Videotron or Bell. Help me out.

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2010, 12:17 PM
The Chef*

vCash: 500
Internet. Videotron or Bell. Help me out.

Hello Montreal Canadiens fans living in Montreal or anywhere in Quebec.

I am here wondering what internet provider you have because I am considering switching from Videotron to Bell.

I currently have Videotron high-speed internet (http://www.videotron.com/service/int...nternet#note-2) and I'm now considering switching to Bell for the Fibe 7. (http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_QC...F06FTN.details)

Mainly, I've considered switching because I keep going over the download limit (I watch all my tv online) and Videotron is screwing me with the 20GB download limit. I see Bell Fibe 7 has 60GB combined while Videotron has only 30GB combined. I will actually be saving roughly 5$ every month (and not paying an extra 25$-30$/month like I'm doing now) by making the switch. I don't care about paying the one time activation fee of 30$ to make the switch. I'll be saving money in the end

I have a question for those of you that have the Fibe 7.

The download speed (Mbps) from videotron to bell is 7.5 to 7. Can somebody do an internet speed test to see what it really is? With Videotron I actually get 7.87Mbps on an internet speed test. Is the loss of a 0.5Mbps on my download speed worth the switch?

What are your thoughts on your internet provider? Have you gone from one to the other?

I really can't complain about the internet package I have now other than the internet use limit (30GB/month). The internet speed is fast enough so my main problem is the internet usage.

I'm also considering an upgrade to the Ultimate Speed Internet 15 from Videotron and the Fibe 10 from Bell. However with the Ultimate Speed Internet 15 from Videotron, I will be getting 60GB of internet usage, which is the equivalent to the Fibe 7....at a higher price.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:22 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
Hello Montreal Canadiens fans living in Montreal or anywhere in Quebec.

I am here wondering what internet provider you have because I am considering switching from Videotron to Bell.

I currently have Videotron high-speed internet (http://www.videotron.com/service/int...nternet#note-2) and I'm now considering switching to Bell for the Fibe 7. (http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_QC...F06FTN.details)

Mainly, I've considered switching because I keep going over the download limit (I watch all my tv online) and Videotron is screwing me with the 20GB download limit. I see Bell Fibe 7 has 60GB combined while Videotron has only 30GB combined. I will actually be saving roughly 5$ every month (and not paying an extra 25$-30$/month like I'm doing now) by making the switch.

I have a question for those of you that have the Fibe 7.

The download speed (Mbps) from videotron to bell is 7.5 to 7. Can somebody do an internet speed test to see what it really is? With Videotron I actually get 7.87Mbps on an internet speed test. Is the loss of a 0.5Mbps on my download speed worth the switch?

What are your thoughts on your internet provider? Have you gone from one to the other?

I really can't complain about the internet package I have now other than the internet use limit (30GB/month)

I'm also considering an upgrade to the Ultimate Speed Internet 15 from Videotron and the Fibe 10 from Bell.
My internet clocks at 4MB/s and it's fine (I use DSL from a reseller, not Bell). I wish torrents would download faster but it's fine for streams. If you get 7MB/s then you should have no problem whatsoever.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:27 PM
alexstream

ok dude, seriously, down the road, it's the same catfood ("bouillie pour les chats" sounds way more cool)...

THE ONLY THING you need to concern about is whether or not you want TV... lol

IF you take Illico + Videotron Internet, you'll pay roughly the same price for the same speed and same number of stations as if you went with Vue and Bell internet.

I mean who cares if it's advertised to go up to 7meg, down on your modem line, it will still be from highs of 300k to 1meg, no matter who is your provider.

HOWEVER ILLICO TV kicks serious butts compared to Vue.
Not only you can customize it more and easily... but... IT'S A THOUSAND TIMES MORE RELIABLE... actually... infinitely more reliable, cause for every ten times Vue signal is shaky or is blocked because of bad weather, there is ZERO case with Illico. with your good old maths, you can guess that 10/0 = ERROR.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

I've always had problems with Bell for my internet, so I always stuck to Videotron and I have the Ultimate Speed Internet 15 package from them which gives me a 60 GB limit.

Videotron has never disappointed me for my internet.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:34 PM
LyricalLyricist

Last I checked Videotron is faster but bell has less costs for going over limit. That could've changed though.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

bell is LESS expensive than Videotron but videotron has a better service...i prefer to pay less and have an average service quality.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post
bell is LESS expensive than Videotron but videotron has a better service...i prefer to pay less and have an average service quality.
if you REALLY dig paying less, then go with b2b2c or radioactif or whatever crappy reseller. They rock in their style.
I wouldn't call Bell "cheaper" than Videotron, unless you enjoy saving 1$.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

well i got my HIGH SPEED internet 60GB download for 28$ per month...thats like 15$ savings (for a new client, you can get great deals, and even more if you are a student)

Old
09-27-2010, 12:46 PM
llamateizer

ask bell if they offer the performance option which is 40gb extra for 5$/month

so you can get a 100gb/month
im with bell

i have vu
with the basic + 15 channels of my choice = 33$
internet 100gb max download 750kb/sec (about 6mbps) = 32
Phone with 5 service (call waiting, caller id, ...) = 23

88 + taxes for three service

Old
09-27-2010, 12:58 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
ask bell if they offer the performance option which is 40gb extra for 5$/month

so you can get a 100gb/month
im with bell

i have vu
with the basic + 15 channels of my choice = 33$
internet 100gb max download 750kb/sec (about 6mbps) = 32
Phone with 5 service (call waiting, caller id, ...) = 23

88 + taxes for three service
do you really hit 750kb on direct download? I hit 250kb, maybe 300kb max.

Old
09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Avim86

Videotron : 70 dollars + tax =

Enough said?

Old
09-27-2010, 01:03 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
HOWEVER ILLICO TV kicks serious butts compared to Vue.
Not only you can customize it more and easily... but... IT'S A THOUSAND TIMES MORE RELIABLE... actually... infinitely more reliable, cause for every ten times Vue signal is shaky or is blocked because of bad weather, there is ZERO case with Illico. with your good old maths, you can guess that 10/0 = ERROR.
You do realize that if he can get Fibe internet he can also get Fibe TV, which is just as reliable as cable?

Old
09-27-2010, 01:03 PM
overlords
Hfboards

if bandwidth is your worry, go with acanac. i think they can get you 5-6 Mbps with no bandwidth limit.

bandwidth limits are the beginning to the end of the world, people.

Old
09-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Medsas

go with Laraque's 200gb/month

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp#cable

Old
09-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post
I pay less with Videotron and have better service,I hate Bell

Old
09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
You do realize that if he can get Fibe internet he can also get Fibe TV, which is just as reliable as cable?
Untrue , thanks for trying?

Old
09-27-2010, 01:22 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
Untrue , thanks for trying?
What? Fibe TV, you know, that you get through a wire, which isn't a satellite?

And what's with your attitude??

Old
09-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
What? Fibe TV, you know, that you get through a wire, which isn't a satellite?

And what's with your attitude??
No attitude , just what you said is untrue fiber optics (the one used by bell) is way more sensitive to interference then a copper coiled cable.\
However when comes the time that fiber optics will be developed to the point where it's stable then I might consider switching.
Videotron is hybrid btw they use fiber connections that are converted to cable as cable is cheaper and is already implemented in so many areas.

Last edited by Avim86: 09-27-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old
09-27-2010, 01:40 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
do you really hit 750kb on direct download? I hit 250kb, maybe 300kb max.
yes, i use private tracker when i download torrents. and the max is 750kb/s that i got

Old
09-27-2010, 01:44 PM
llamateizer

Quote:

Enough said?
this is at my university ^^

Old
09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
neofury*

I hate to use this cliche but... Videotron and it's not even close.

Bell's list of Pro/Con

Pro: Nothing
Con: Piss poor service, outsourced, never achieving the bandwidth you pay for unless it's piss poor bandwidth in the first place, throttling of traffic during peak hours, so basically any time any normal human being is off work it runs poorly, anytime any normal human being is working, it works fine. Gee that's so beneficial.

Videotron pro/con:

Pro: You get the bandwidth you're paying for (Though in some more urban areas I have heard of this not being the case always), Better customer service than bell even if it's not great, no throttling during any hours.

Also with videotron you always have the option to go with business for a more dedicated solution. Doing this with bell gets you no dedication what so ever as I've had their 16mbit dsl and it never broke 8mbit. (This was a business line for crying out loud)

I have 50mbit videotron at work and it goes 45mbit+, I won't cry over 10% but when we're talking 50% like with bell, it's something to be concerned about. Also my 7mbit videotron at home actually surpasses the 7mbit cap. Not sure why but speed tests have it at 7.7mbit (maybe they upped regular to 8mbit?)

Anyways my 2 cents on both companies. Also videotron can be ********** at times. For example I missed a payment by 1 week one time and they took it upon themselves to disconnect my service and charge me a 50$ reconnection fee.

All because of 1 week? I know for a fact Bell wouldn't do that, but I guess that's what happens when you are desperate for clients and are losing customer upon customer like Bell is.

Old
09-27-2010, 01:51 PM
neofury*

Quote:

Enough said?
Just to let you know that isn't your actual bandwidth, talk about throttling high. (The lines aren't even capable of more than 60mbit fyi)

Old
09-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medsas View Post
go with Laraque's 200gb/month

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp#cable
This.

200GB limit, and cheaper.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:04 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
This.

200GB limit, and cheaper.
Wow... they actually have cable lines now?

I think this pretty much confirms that the DSL company "central server" stuff regarding cable internet was all just lies and propaganda.

I mean when you have DSL companies making the switch to Cable, I think it becomes pretty obvious which solution is superior.

I always thought the Bell commercials were a load of crap.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Customer service should go in the balance as well. I've canceled everything Bell years ago cursing them on the way out and swearing I'd never go back. That was until FibeTV came along and I became increasingly frustrated with Videotron's poor choice of HD channels, so I'm considering to sign with the Devil once again, but I'm hesitant just based on my past relation with that awful company.

Closed Thread