HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I still ****ing hate IPAs. Even the great ones just don't do much for me.

Old
09-25-2010, 01:35 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
I've heard of it. Sounds like a concoction I would drink.

They are so incredibly good. Downside is that it will usually run you a Blue Moon and a Guinness, but depending where you go, sometimes you'll get 2 out of it. I go to Primanti's in Harmar to get them, mainly because their happy hour is ridiculously cheap, and the bartender who works there knows how to make them.

The last couple sips are the best. It all mixes together.

Old
09-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Not really beer, but the first time I tried vodka and Redbull, I drank 4 of them way faster than I should have.

I was a party animal that night, so I'm told.

Old
09-26-2010, 01:57 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Arnold Palmers have been in cans for a while, out here at least. I'd never heard of the drink until I saw the cans.
they're frigin huge down here in the south for whatever reason. I'm actually trying to make a beer based around the concept, although my first attempt was rather terribad.

Old
09-27-2010, 10:37 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

I'm on the fence with IPAs. I used to really love them, but then I started drifting away from them and drinking Belgians.

Every once in awhile I'll still do a Dogfish 90, which still has that IPA but isn't nearly as harsh. But at 9%, I'm limited to only a few.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
They are so incredibly good. Downside is that it will usually run you a Blue Moon and a Guinness, but depending where you go, sometimes you'll get 2 out of it. I go to Primanti's in Harmar to get them, mainly because their happy hour is ridiculously cheap, and the bartender who works there knows how to make them.

The last couple sips are the best. It all mixes together.
Have you ever tried making them yourself?

They look cool as hell, and I'd probably try one just because of the name. Even though I think Guinness is nothing but watered down chocolate milk...

Last edited by Hans Rutherford: 09-27-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old
09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Have you ever tried making them yourself?

They look cool as hell, and I'd probably try one just because of the name. Even though I think Guinness is nothing but watered down chocolate milk...
I have not tried making them myself. I don't really keep beer in my house, to be honest. I don't often get in the mood to sit on my couch and drink beer unless my friends are over (which we don't go to eachothers' houses often). I keep my drinking to a bar.

Blue Moon and Guinness mixed together really work well together. The rich taste of the Guinness is perfectly balanced by the light sweetness of the Blue Moon. If you were using a Guinness with high abv, you'd probably lose some of that balance.

Old
09-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
I have not tried making them myself. I don't really keep beer in my house, to be honest. I don't often get in the mood to sit on my couch and drink beer unless my friends are over (which we don't go to eachothers' houses often). I keep my drinking to a bar.

Blue Moon and Guinness mixed together really work well together. The rich taste of the Guinness is perfectly balanced by the light sweetness of the Blue Moon. If you were using a Guinness with high abv, you'd probably lose some of that balance.
I see. My girlfriend supposedly loves Guinness and bought a 6-six a few weeks ago, she also loves Heineken about bought a 6-pack of that a few months ago as well and still has a few left over. So needless to say I'll have some Guinness laying around to try this experiment as long as I'm willing to buy a 6-pack of Blue Moon, Blue Moon is alright so why not?. How significant is it to pour the Guinness in over a spoon? I take it it's to help foam it up some and prevent mixing them up too much?

Old
09-27-2010, 01:58 PM
JTG

Quote:
I see. My girlfriend supposedly loves Guinness and bought a 6-six a few weeks ago, she also loves Heineken about bought a 6-pack of that a few months ago as well and still has a few left over. So needless to say I'll have some Guinness laying around to try this experiment as long as I'm willing to buy a 6-pack of Blue Moon, Blue Moon is alright so why not?. How significant is it to pour the Guinness in over a spoon? I take it it's to help foam it up some and prevent mixing them up too much?
I think you use a spoon so you get that separation.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4918369_make...blue-beer.html

The glass also matters, IMO. We have used many different glasses, but the one that works the best is one that doesn't have any shape to it. Not sure what that would be called.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
I think you use a spoon so you get that separation.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4918369_make...blue-beer.html

The glass also matters, IMO. We have used many different glasses, but the one that works the best is one that doesn't have any shape to it. Not sure what that would be called.
Yeah I was just wondering about glasses. Been wanting to pick up a pint glass or two, don't really know where to look though. I usually buy my beer at Wegmans, I don't think I've ever seen any there but I never really looked...

Old
09-27-2010, 03:03 PM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Yeah I was just wondering about glasses. Been wanting to pick up a pint glass or two, don't really know where to look though. I usually buy my beer at Wegmans, I don't think I've ever seen any there but I never really looked...
I bought a set of 4 one time at a Bed Bath and Beyond that were just traditional 16 oz pints. The kind that taper down from the widest part at the top.

My gf bought me a set of 4 Guinness glasses at BBB also.

I recently bought 4 Dogfish Head glasses from the Brewery when I was down there last month that are very nice. They have a kind of anti-hourglass shape to them. My sister was at a bar one night where DFH was doing a tasting and was given two, and passed one along to me.

I was also given 2 Smuttynose glasses one night in Fuel and Fuddle, that are the standard pint glass but much thicker glass than the ones from BBB and have the logo on the side.

Unfortunately, one of our cats got up in the strainer basket that we use for dishes and put an end to one of the DFH glasses and one of the Smuttynose ones. Jerks.

Old
09-27-2010, 03:25 PM
DJ Spinoza

I find that the best pint glasses are assorted glasses available at breweries. I have a few--Stone, Founders, Bullfrog, and somewhere I have a nice Stone Goblet. I'm not sure what the best glass is for Dark Side of the Moon, though.

I've wanted to get some Sam Adams perfect pint glasses for a while. Besides that, all I need is a good snifter. I pick up the glasses from time to time when the opportunity presents itself. The Stone stuff I got at the brewery, and the Founders was a give away at Fathead's. I bought the Bullfrog glass at the Big Pour for 4 bucks. I will be buying East End glasses when I finally make it over there.

Old
09-27-2010, 03:29 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
I find that the best pint glasses are assorted glasses available at breweries. I have a few--Stone, Founders, Bullfrog, and somewhere I have a nice Stone Goblet. I'm not sure what the best glass is for Dark Side of the Moon, though.

I've wanted to get some Sam Adams perfect pint glasses for a while. Besides that, all I need is a good snifter. I pick up the glasses from time to time when the opportunity presents itself. The Stone stuff I got at the brewery, and the Founders was a give away at Fathead's. I bought the Bullfrog glass at the Big Pour for 4 bucks. I will be buying East End glasses when I finally make it over there.
I've heard the taste of Sam Adams changes when you drink it out of one of those glasses.

Old
09-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Well here's my attempt at making a DSOTM. I remember seeing a special Pilsner glass at a store up here so I went out a and got that and a 6-pack of Blue Moon to try this out. I really don't know how good of a job I did adding the Guinness so it would separate but whatever. I'm really not a big fan of either of these beers but it an interesting taste and did taste pretty good once I got to the bottom towards Blue Moon more. I'm sure I'll be busting this out a few more times at least, and hopefully can find bar somewhere that can make them. Thanks for sharing it with us JTG.

Old
09-27-2010, 08:15 PM
JTG

Quote:

Well here's my attempt at making a DSOTM. I remember seeing a special Pilsner glass at a store up here so I went out a and got that and a 6-pack of Blue Moon to try this out. I really don't know how good of a job I did adding the Guinness so it would separate but whatever. I'm really not a big fan of either of these beers but it an interesting taste and did taste pretty good once I got to the bottom towards Blue Moon more. I'm sure I'll be busting this out a few more times at least, and hopefully can find bar somewhere that can make them. Thanks for sharing it with us JTG.
Did you use the back of the spoon? You have to pour it slow (or so I have watched), and keep the back of the spoon really close to the top of the drink. You also have to wait for the Blue Moon to settle before you pour in the Guinness. If you do that, you should get the separation in the pic that is posted in this thread.

Old
09-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Did you use the back of the spoon? You have to pour it slow (or so I have watched), and keep the back of the spoon really close to the top of the drink. You also have to wait for the Blue Moon to settle before you pour in the Guinness. If you do that, you should get the separation in the pic that is posted in this thread.
Yeah i remembered to use the back... It came alittle too fast at first I think, but I'll practice it a few more times. If I ever achieve it with the results at the top I'll proudly post another pic.

Old
09-27-2010, 09:06 PM
johnniewalker

When you make any of the Guinness and other beer concoctions like that one, it's extremely important that you pour the Guinness VERY slowly over the back of the spoon and let it trickle down the sides of the glass. If you pour it fast enough that it breaks the surface tension of the beer already in the glass, the two will mix instead of layering.

Old
09-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Yeah I think I completely missed the spoon the first time too when I started pouring it in I wasn't sure if I should have let it go down the sides or not either. I'm going to try again tomorrow in preparation for the game. Also just found a really shallow and wide tablespoon lying around, that should probably help too... I'm going to get this right.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

So I practiced acouple pours with water, and it seems like whenever the Guinness bottle is full it pours out awkwardly/unpredictably or down the neck of the bottle at then to wherever, I think that screwed me up the most. So next time I'm just going to take out or drink alittle bit before I try. I also checked out a few videos of people trying this and it seems like alot of them leave a pretty decent head on when they pour the Blue Moon and pour the Guinness on top of it to help separate them. Is there a right or wrong?

Either way I'm pretty confident I'll get it right next time.

Old
09-28-2010, 09:07 AM
JTG

When the girl at the bar always made them, she would let the Blue Moon settle first. I'm sure there is more than one way to skin a cat though.

Me and my buddies also let them sit for a couple minutes. That seems to help the separation. If you do it right, you should see the Guinness "wave" on top of the Blue Moon. It looks pretty cool.

Oh, and I think you picked the right glass for the operation. We used those glasses that are thin at the bottom and bubble out at the top (most bars put "large" beers in them) and it works, but not as well as the kind of glass you have. With those glasses, we always got way more Guinness in the beginning than we wanted, which kind of screwed up the ratio towards the end.

Old
09-29-2010, 09:31 AM
pensown

Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary 32oz. is a very good dark beer.

Also, the Magic Hat Night of the Living Dead Variety Pack features some very good beer (Ourtoberfest is really good)

Anyone got any other suggestions for very good Fall Seasonal 24 packs?

Old
09-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Here's a bit better attempt at a DSOTM. I actually took this picture after I took a few sips and added the rest of the Guinness. But there's still probably more room for improvement. Fun drink to make and taste pretty good. I'll probably keep some Guinness and Blue Moon stocked up so I can make them from time to time.

Old
09-29-2010, 01:09 PM
JTG

That one looks pretty good.

Old
09-29-2010, 04:50 PM
johnniewalker

I just sat down at Buffalo Blues. They added a happy hour that gets you $1 off drafts, and all East End beers are $3 all the time.

They have Southern Tier Unearthly on draft. The waitress brought me one in a pint glass instead of the usualsnifter. This is like two for one Unearthly drafts.

I'm in trouble.

Old
09-29-2010, 05:21 PM
johnniewalker

Damn, the owner of BB must lurk here because the next one came in a wine glass.

Edit: and they were 7 each. Ouch!

Curse you, Buffalo Blues!

Last edited by johnniewalker: 09-29-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Closed Thread