HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Dubinsky....... Now.

View Poll Results: Trade Dubinsky?
Keep Dubinsky. He's a valuable part of our future 105 43.75%
Trade Him. It won't hurt our club and we can get something good in return. 23 9.58%
On the side of keeping him, but would not object to a trade if for the right return. 112 46.67%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2010, 02:08 PM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
Which is probably what would end up happening if we held on to him too long like we did with Montoya.

Dubinsky has done NOTHING to suggest that he can be anything more than a decent 2nd liner on a middle of the pack team. If you can get something good for him+ other pieces now, Id be all over that before everyone else figures it out.
If Slats can sucker a GM into a slick deal because they are high on Dubs, I am all for it. However, the chances of doing so are definitely waning.

rip
Old
09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Package him and Grachev (who is one of my favorites) along with possibly Sauer and get that top line center we've been missing. I've dogged Dubinsky for years and it's no surprise to me people are starting to see his down falls. He can hardly be called a 60pt player and I don't care for the argument using pro rated stats for last season. You can't convince me that he wouldn't have disappeared at some point on his own. Dubinsky to me is a player who has let his limited success go to his head and if you watched his last game you'd probably agree he was invisible and a complete non factor.

The only reason I throw Grachev's name out there is because I think he'd fit better in a situation where a team has to play him out of necessity and are willing to let him grow and learn from his mistakes. With Kreider coming along nicely I think he is expendable.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:10 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
If Slats can sucker a GM into a slick deal because they are high on Dubs, I am all for it. However, the chances of doing so are definitely waning.
Love the screen name.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:11 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
You really think he's going to be that good?
He's going to be a consistent 20-25 g 50-60 p second line character guy who plays physical, goes to the front of the net, fore-checks hard, kills penalties, plays the PP, gives up his body, hits, fights, sticks up for team mates, great locker room presence, says the right things to the media, etc. A guy that other teams fans want. The people that want him dumped just because, will always fall back on the "hindsight is bla bla bla" and "there are dozens of guys you can replace him with bla bla bla". Bottom line is, he isn't a superstar, hasn't been "consistent" and he held out. So some people want him gone really bad. We'll see if they get their wish and what it amounts to.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Seriously, what young, first/second line players are really going to be available? And who the hell is going to take Dubinsky in return for said young first/second line player without also wanting one or more 1st round picks, and Stepan/Kreider/Mcd/Mdz?

Old
09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

HockeyBurd the problem with your assessment of Dubinsky is he only does all of that when he feels like doing it.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Don't really want to be controversial, but I do recognize that he has his fans here. I was a fan of his. Always rooted for him to just become what we see he has inside of him.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I have that confidence anymore. I know it's only preseason so maybe I'm guilty of prematurely condemning him. But this is more about gut than fact. Basically, I just can't get that feeling out of my gut that Dubinsky will simply remain mediocre this year. Yes, that is based partly on what I've seen (i.e. the fact part) but since it's only preseason that is limited. But I just can't shake that gut feeling. He's just gonna be mediocre. I say put a package together with him and trade him before enough real games have been played that other teams too start realizing he will likely remain mediocre. Trade him. Now.

What say you?
What exactly about him is "mediocre?" He's proven he can contribute 20G/20A+ while bringing much needed grit to a relatively soft lineup. Not to mention he's quite adept at killing penalties, and has the ability to give a line a valuable 2nd option in the faceoff circle.

He improved his game last season, so why are we acting as if he's suddenly hit a wall? Using him as a chip for an upgrade because he's valuable is understandable, but wanting to trade him because he's "mediocre" is borderline ridiculous. The reason Dubinsky is looked upon as a desired asset around the league isn't just for his "upside." It's also the fact that he's already contributing at this level.

Is he untouchable? No, but the return better be a measurable, tangible upgrade. He certainly has issues with consistency, but we're not exactly teeming with replacements for him either. Truth be told, I think a lot of people are still clinging to resentment over the contract holdout last year.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Not for Cogliano, thats for damn sure.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:19 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

ok would the sens do this deal ?

would we ?

to nyr:

jason spezza

to ott:

brandon dubinsky
evgeny grachev

nyr looks like

frolov spezza gaby
prospal stepan ftank
avery arty cally
boyle drury prust

Old
09-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Fletch

I'm torn on Dubi...the main reason I'd prefer not to trade him now is because I thought he finished last season strong and stepped up his game. Further, I think because he's had a lot of help getting his points over the years, his value to another team may be a bit understated (pure speculation on my part). If he were to be traded, he would need to be packaged with someone else for a real top-line centerman; that goes without saying. Of course, then all of the sudden size up front is lost, which again, perhaps staying the course a bit longer is the way for the Rangers to go...

Old
09-27-2010, 02:21 PM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Love the screen name.
Thanks.

I didn't realize it would be my new alias for 120 days, or else I probably would have kept it 'ailurophile'.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
He's going to be a consistent 20-25 g 50-60 p second line character guy who plays physical, goes to the front of the net, fore-checks hard, kills penalties, plays the PP, gives up his body, hits, fights, sticks up for team mates, great locker room presence, says the right things to the media, etc.
That pretty much sums up last season for Dubi. The key word is of course "consistent", not just night to night but season to season. I see no reason why he can't continue or even improve on what he has done.

People seem to be under the delusion scoring 20 goals is easy, especially when you aren't on the top line and the top PP unit.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:23 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
He's going to be a consistent 20-25 g 50-60 p second line character guy who plays physical, goes to the front of the net, fore-checks hard, kills penalties, plays the PP, gives up his body, hits, fights, sticks up for team mates, great locker room presence, says the right things to the media, etc. A guy that other teams fans want. The people that want him dumped just because, will always fall back on the "hindsight is bla bla bla" and "there are dozens of guys you can replace him with bla bla bla". Bottom line is, he isn't a superstar, hasn't been "consistent" and he held out. So some people want him gone really bad. We'll see if they get their wish and what it amounts to.
Well said Burd. There is a reason why Dubi's name pops up in trades rumors, teams want him. He is someone who possesses many attributes you look for in an NHL player, as HockeyBurd described above. If I was a GM of another NHL team and Sather called me up about a trade the guys I would ask him for are Staal and Dubinsky. When you take into account upside, age and salary those two are probably our two most appealing pieces.

Last edited by TomLaidlaw: 09-27-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old
09-27-2010, 02:27 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
What exactly about him is "mediocre?" He's proven he can contribute 20G/20A+ while bringing much needed grit to a relatively soft lineup. Not to mention he's quite adept at killing penalties, and has the ability to give a line a valuable 2nd option in the faceoff circle.

He improved his game last season, so why are we acting as if he's suddenly hit a wall? Using him as a chip for an upgrade because he's valuable is understandable, but wanting to trade him because he's "mediocre" is borderline ridiculous. The reason Dubinsky is looked upon as a desired asset around the league isn't just for his "upside." It's also the fact that he's already contributing at this level.

Is he untouchable? No, but the return better be a measurable, tangible upgrade. He certainly has issues with consistency, but we're not exactly teeming with replacements for him either. Truth be told, I think a lot of people are still clinging to resentment over the contract holdout last year.
I think this is a big part of it. Like you said, the timing of this concern over Dubi is strange. He is coming off a season where he missed 13 games and still scored a career high in goals. If anything there should be an air of optimism surrounding Dubi heading into the year. Not sure why the contract holdout is still bothering people. It is water under the bridge.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:28 PM
eco's bones

He's not untradeable but I wouldn't trade him just so the team might be better for just one season or even two. I'd want something real valuable long term. And that's a problem with Richards--he's UFA next year.

Speaking generally I don't think there's all that much availiable at the moment. I think he's a very good player right now and there's more upside to go. The grass isn't always greener somewhere else.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Last year he would have put up 50+ points if it wasn't for his injury. He can be wildly inconsistent but he's only 24 years old, young players ARE inconsistent. Not to mention that he just switched position and looks better on the wing. I really could see him putting up 60 points as soon as this season and that's with the intangibles that he comes with. I want Dubinsky on this team because he's a gamer. Right now he's probably a second liner on a mediocre team but, give it a couple years, and he could be an elite second line winger.

With that said, if we can use him to upgrade our team successfully, do it. Most of the time you shop a player, you're going to get less back, though.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:33 PM
OverTheCap

TomLaidlaw, HockeyBurd, and Trxjw have more or less summed up my feelings on Dubinsky.

He adds some much needed grit to the top 6, and he never hesitates to stand up for a teammate.

I think if he was on another team, Rangers fans would be saying "why can't we draft a guy like this?" Dubinsky is one of the first names that comes up on the trade proposal board when other fans propose a trade involving the Rangers. There are a lot of other fanbases that would love to have him, I just wish our own fanbase felt that way.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:36 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I think this is a big part of it. Like you said, the timing of this concern over Dubi is strange. He is coming off a season where he missed 13 games and still scored a career high in goals. If anything there should be an air of optimism surrounding Dubi heading into the year. Not sure why the contract holdout is still bothering people. It is water under the bridge.
thats just silly. no one wants him traded because he held out.

hockey is a business and holding out was a decision he and his agent made.

he should be scrutinized like any other player based soley on his one ice results.

if he hadnt gone long stretches last season disguised as the invisible man and had he come out strong in this years camp- which he hasnt done, people would not be so eager to see what he could fetch on the open market.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Celestial Black

Depending on the return, I would easily trade him. Especially for a top 6 winger (preferably right wing).

Old
09-27-2010, 02:38 PM
mullichicken25

i dont know what dubinsky could fetch by himself

i think his trade appeal was highest last season...now teams have a little better idea of what they're going to get...and thats decent 2nd line potential with consistancy issues

i love dubinsky, one of my favorite current rangers...i just dont think he's going to fetch anything worthwhile without a considerable prospect going with him

Old
09-27-2010, 02:48 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
thats just silly. no one wants him traded because he held out.

hockey is a business and holding out was a decision he and his agent made.

he should be scrutinized like any other player based soley on his one ice results.

if he hadnt gone long stretches last season disguised as the invisible man and had he come out strong in this years camp- which he hasnt done, people would not be so eager to see what he could fetch on the open market.
You would think that would be the case but this isn't the first time there has been a Dubinsky debate. Posters in the past have brought up the fact that they soured on him because he held out. I agree that it shouldn't be an issue, unfortunately for some it still is.

Dubinsky may be inconsistent from a scoring standpoint but that doesn't mean he doesn't impact the game even when he isn't scoring. He impacts the game with his puck possession ability. Something this team sorely lacks. There are way to many players who treat the puck like a hot potato on this team. Some players have no impact on the game when they aren't scoring. Dubi isn't one of those players.

Old
09-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Tumsh

I do think that, even if Dubi doesn't pan out to become that great on a second line. He seems to posses the qualities that you want in any player. Basically, whatever point totals he ends up with, you will pay for. If he becomes a 40 point guy, you pay him some $2.5mil or whatever those types of players go for. If he becomes a 60 point guy, you pay him $4 mil or whatever. The good news is that whatever the price is, he does bring a lot of good things that you generally don't have to pay for. That is, 40 point players tend to cost roughly the same, whether they back check or not.

All that being said, if some other team really wants him and is ready to give up a good, solid, young first line type player for Dubi+, you have to examine it.

Old
09-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post

Dubinsky + for Ryan.
That would have to be a hell of a + ... there values aren't close..

Old
09-27-2010, 03:21 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I have long been a proponent of trading Dubi. And it has nothing to do with his holdout. In fact, I would have been in favor of trading him before then.

The reason is that I think other GMs see in him what I DON'T see in him. He LOOKS like he could be a 1st line PF type for years to come, but I just don't think he'll ever put it all together - I don't think he thinks the game well enough and he certainly has consistency issues. And yet, he's the player most asked about. Hence, it's only logical to me that you move him for the best possible package NOW, before he proves me right...

Old
09-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

for the right return.....

u can just say trade him NOWWWW thats dumb....what if noone is offering anything right now for him

i still would have done that heatley trade but honestly im not trading him for a scrub....

if were getting a top 6 established player in return i consider, depending on what else we have to give up....otherwise no way because we arent in dire need of anything else

Closed Thread