HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Harding (Torn ACL/MCL And Likely Out For Season)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2010, 12:38 PM
  #51
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
I think you also have to consider Nittymaki.

With San Jose signing Niemi and wanting to keep Greiss up with the big club, and let Stalock run the show in the A, they will be looking to move Nitty.

Too bad his price is too high. If the trading partner is San Jose, I would take Greiss from them. Maybe a Gillies for Greiss straight up deal.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:43 PM
  #52
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,315
vCash: 500
I guess I'd rather shoot for Theodore or a vet backup than give up assets. The likelihood of the Wild tanking this year might be too big to give up assets.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:50 PM
  #53
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I think you also have to consider Nittymaki.

With San Jose signing Niemi and wanting to keep Greiss up with the big club, and let Stalock run the show in the A, they will be looking to move Nitty.

Too bad his price is too high. If the trading partner is San Jose, I would take Greiss from them. Maybe a Gillies for Greiss straight up deal.
That's a horrible deal for the Wild.

Guys like Greiss are available for minimum contracts at any point in the season. You don't give up assets for them. If you do trade for them, you only swap contracts/roster positions for a guy like Greiss.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:56 PM
  #54
D U M B A
The Disaster March
 
D U M B A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnGoalie View Post
How about these:
Jeff Deslauriers
Vesa Toskala
Tomas Greiss
Chris Osgood
Erik Ersberg
Brent Johnson
Patrick Lalime
Scott Clemmensen
(Andrew Raycroft)
(Dany Sabourin)
(Joey MacDonald)
(Martin Gerber)
Jeff D.: Probably not, same division.

Toskala: Isn't he concerned with starter minutes (declining Calgary's offer early on), I'm not really a fan but we wouldn't have to give up anything for him.

Greiss: Makes a lot of sense due to their logjam in net.
(To Bozak: I don't think we'll have to give up someone like Gillies for Greiss, especially if the Wild's mindset is for a one year rental. With Endras possibly making the team next year and whatever Harding decides at year end.)

Osgood: I think he is still a good mentor for Howard. Who are Detroit's other options?

Ersberg: This also makes sense since the Kings want Bernier to make the team.

Johnson: Pittsburgh signed him for cheap and with their cap situation, I don't think they'd want to trade him.

Lalime: It appears to me that Buffalo is fond of him in a lot of the reports I've read.

Scott Clemensen: This is another possibility. I read Florida has a few (elite) goalie prospects, shedding Clemensen's contract would be a plus but with Vokoun's future uncertain after this year, is it worth it for them?

Raycroft: Another cap-strapped tight-wad team Dallas. They need contracts like Raycroft given a lot of the other bloated deals on the team.

Sabourin: I don't even remember where he is now, I caught a few games of his with Pittsburgh two years ago, not entirely impressive but they do play a run and gun style.

Macdonald: I don't know where he is either (Toronto or New Jersey?). I remember him on the Islanders, was it two years ago, and he looked alright some games and lost the next night.

Gerber: I could be wrong but didn't he just sign with Edmonton? They probably have the most pieces to be shipped out but I don't know why they would want to help us out.

Also looking at capgeek, the team I thought made the most sense for someone like Theodore is the Predators. They're a defense-first team and if he doesn't mind backing up Rinne that might be worth it for him to cash in next year. Because other then signing someone, who is their current back up?

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
  #55
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
That's a horrible deal for the Wild.

Guys like Greiss are available for minimum contracts at any point in the season. You don't give up assets for them. If you do trade for them, you only swap contracts/roster positions for a guy like Greiss.
Coming from the king of horrible deals, I will assume that my idea is a good one then.


bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:11 PM
  #56
D U M B A
The Disaster March
 
D U M B A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Coming from the king of horrible deals, I will assume that my idea is a good one then.

I think a Schultz and Gillies for Vlasic and Griess swap is fair. LOL

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:13 PM
  #57
KaylaJ
Tungsten!
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 14,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post


Sabourin: I don't even remember where he is now, I caught a few games of his with Pittsburgh two years ago, not entirely impressive but they do play a run and gun style.

Macdonald: I don't know where he is either (Toronto or New Jersey?). I remember him on the Islanders, was it two years ago, and he looked alright some games and lost the next night.

Gerber: I could be wrong but didn't he just sign with Edmonton? They probably have the most pieces to be shipped out but I don't know why they would want to help us out.
Sabourin is Caps property, Joey McD is Detroit property, and yup, Gerber is with Edm

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:29 PM
  #58
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Coming from the king of horrible deals, I will assume that my idea is a good one then.

I don't buy into homerism or whipping boy-status when it comes to Wild players. Or mystery of another teams players. So sorry if my trades look off to you.

Doesn't matter if Gillies was the 1st overall pick or takes another 10 years to develop. You don't trade him for a career back-up goalie.

The Schultz + Gillies for Vlasic + Greiss is even worse. Talk about moving the team in the wrong direction.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:36 PM
  #59
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
I would take what I can get for Gillies at this point. If it's an up and coming german Goaltender, so be it. We suddenly seem thin on goalies, and that's just due to an injury to our DO.

While I like Gillies, it's pretty much an eye opener when you can sign a guy like Nystrom for a little over a mill from FA.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:46 PM
  #60
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I would take what I can get for Gillies at this point. If it's an up and coming german Goaltender, so be it. We suddenly seem thin on goalies, and that's just due to an injury to our DO.

While I like Gillies, it's pretty much an eye opener when you can sign a guy like Nystrom for a little over a mill from FA.
It sounds like you want to trade Gillies just to trade him. To get him out of the club, because he's been disappointing in your eyes.

That's a terrible way to run a hockey team. Drafting and player development is 95% about managing disappoint and checking your emotions at the door.

You run a hockey team like investments. You don't liquidate your stock just because it's dropping. If there is no need to sell your stock, you just hold on to it, and see if it ever comes back up.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:25 PM
  #61
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,315
vCash: 500
Backstrom still has 3 years on his contract, Hackett's still highly regard, Kuemper looks very good, and Endras and Khudobin are still in the system. Don't really think we need long term solutions at goal right now.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:11 PM
  #62
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
It sounds like you want to trade Gillies just to trade him.
Actually, no, I don't want to trade him just to trade him.

I wouldn't mind picking up another goalie prospect. I don't want to give up a current goalie prospect. I also don't want to give up one of our D prospects.

Therefore, we are left with looking at the prospects in which we have plenty; 3rd/4th line grinders. Also, you have to look at the market as well. When proven players that fit this mold are left jobless at this point, I believe that if you are able to move one of your grinders for something that you need (at least in the short term), they can easily be replaced by the Veilleux's or Belanger's of the world via free agency.

Gillies has an upside. He had that upside label when Risebrough moved up and drafted him. 3rd line grinding checker.

Gillies has the most value out of the pool of 3rd/4th line grinders that we have in the system.

Then again, my own arguments pretty much invalidate his value. If you can get a 3rd/4th line grinder for league minimum, why would you trade anything of value for a 3rd/4th line grinder that would have to be paid 1.1 million?

You wouldn't.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:34 PM
  #63
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Actually, no, I don't want to trade him just to trade him.

I wouldn't mind picking up another goalie prospect. I don't want to give up a current goalie prospect. I also don't want to give up one of our D prospects.

Therefore, we are left with looking at the prospects in which we have plenty; 3rd/4th line grinders. Also, you have to look at the market as well. When proven players that fit this mold are left jobless at this point, I believe that if you are able to move one of your grinders for something that you need (at least in the short term), they can easily be replaced by the Veilleux's or Belanger's of the world via free agency.

Gillies has an upside. He had that upside label when Risebrough moved up and drafted him. 3rd line grinding checker.

Gillies has the most value out of the pool of 3rd/4th line grinders that we have in the system.

Then again, my own arguments pretty much invalidate his value. If you can get a 3rd/4th line grinder for league minimum, why would you trade anything of value for a 3rd/4th line grinder that would have to be paid 1.1 million?

You wouldn't.
Planning ahead is a good thing in the real world, but seems to be a terrible thing here on hfboards.

Gillies should not be brought up until Clutterbuck, Nystrom, Brodziak, Miettinen, and Kobasew's contracts are expired. And we won't retain them all.

At that time, 2-3 seasons from now, it's might be pretty sweet to have a 220 pound, lightning fast winger with some offensive upside. Even if he's just a 3rd liner.

Much better than a dime-a-dozen back-up goalie.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:46 PM
  #64
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Actually, no, I don't want to trade him just to trade him.

I wouldn't mind picking up another goalie prospect. I don't want to give up a current goalie prospect. I also don't want to give up one of our D prospects.

Therefore, we are left with looking at the prospects in which we have plenty; 3rd/4th line grinders. Also, you have to look at the market as well. When proven players that fit this mold are left jobless at this point, I believe that if you are able to move one of your grinders for something that you need (at least in the short term), they can easily be replaced by the Veilleux's or Belanger's of the world via free agency.

Gillies has an upside. He had that upside label when Risebrough moved up and drafted him. 3rd line grinding checker.

Gillies has the most value out of the pool of 3rd/4th line grinders that we have in the system.

Then again, my own arguments pretty much invalidate his value. If you can get a 3rd/4th line grinder for league minimum, why would you trade anything of value for a 3rd/4th line grinder that would have to be paid 1.1 million?

You wouldn't.
The only question I have about this is why would there be a problem trading away another goalie prospect. Yes, we're most likely losing Harding next season, but is there a reason to have Khudobin, Hackett, Endras and Greiss in the system when the goal is to bring Endras over next year?

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:03 PM
  #65
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
The only question I have about this is why would there be a problem trading away another goalie prospect. Yes, we're most likely losing Harding next season, but is there a reason to have Khudobin, Hackett, Endras and Greiss in the system when the goal is to bring Endras over next year?
I am not entirely sure that we will have Khudobin next season. There was already the risk of him bolting to the KHL this season. What's to stop him from bolting next year if he indeed gets bumped to Houston, where he doesn't want to be?

At the start of the summer, I was really hoping for a Harding trade and Khudobin locks up the back-up job for a couple of years. Then MsConduct corrected my outlook with the statements and rumors of Khudobin getting ready to bail to the K.

If he does bolt to the K...

That leaves us with;
1. Backstrom; We all know his faults. We all know his strengths.
2. Hackett; Looked really scared. Could use another tandem season with Keumper in Houston.
3. Keumper; At least two, if not three years away.
4. Endras; Euro leagues are different than the NHL. Remember, Dubie was a genius in Switzerland...

I dunno... Maybe it's because I really like the guy, but having Harding injured like this has sort of shaken my confidence in our supposedly deep goalie pool...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:09 PM
  #66
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Well we could always do the same thing we're thinking about now and that's signing a NHL goalie as a backup.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:51 PM
  #67
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
...or re-sign Harding...


bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:55 PM
  #68
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I am not entirely sure that we will have Khudobin next season. There was already the risk of him bolting to the KHL this season. What's to stop him from bolting next year if he indeed gets bumped to Houston, where he doesn't want to be?

At the start of the summer, I was really hoping for a Harding trade and Khudobin locks up the back-up job for a couple of years. Then MsConduct corrected my outlook with the statements and rumors of Khudobin getting ready to bail to the K.

If he does bolt to the K...

That leaves us with;
1. Backstrom; We all know his faults. We all know his strengths.
2. Hackett; Looked really scared. Could use another tandem season with Keumper in Houston.
3. Keumper; At least two, if not three years away.
4. Endras; Euro leagues are different than the NHL. Remember, Dubie was a genius in Switzerland...

I dunno... Maybe it's because I really like the guy, but having Harding injured like this has sort of shaken my confidence in our supposedly deep goalie pool...
Dubi was like 5'0". It doesn't matter if he killed dragons in Europe. He still wouldn't have made it in the NHL.


Last edited by nickschultzfan: 09-27-2010 at 05:37 PM.
nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:24 PM
  #69
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Dubi was like 5'0". I doesn't matter if he killed dragons in Europe. He still wouldn't have made it in the NHL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VuiBBX6aZA

obviously failing at posting a youtube link.



Which is sorta ironic, all things considered...


Last edited by bozak911: 09-27-2010 at 05:32 PM.
bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:34 PM
  #70
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Dubi was like 5'0". I doesn't matter if he killed dragons in Europe. He still wouldn't have made it in the NHL.
To be fair, if Dubi killed dragons in Europe, he would probably be my favorite player for that fact alone.

And Bozak - youtube tags [yt] and just put in the part after "v="

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:43 PM
  #71
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
...or re-sign Harding...

I don't see a problem with this. Hell, I'd like to see him get a shot at the #1 job, if he could just avoid all these freak injuries.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:58 PM
  #72
D U M B A
The Disaster March
 
D U M B A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
I didn't want to start a new thread for my question but has anyone read The Hockey News that came out today? I ended up getting a few free digital magazines when I ordered NHL 11. Anyway, Michael Russo wrote an article in it and I didn't know if has been mentioned yet.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:10 PM
  #73
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread for my question but has anyone read The Hockey News that came out today? I ended up getting a few free digital magazines when I ordered NHL 11. Anyway, Michael Russo wrote an article in it and I didn't know if has been mentioned yet.
Is it this one on Harding?

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:30 PM
  #74
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
To be fair, if Dubi killed dragons in Europe, he would probably be my favorite player for that fact alone.

And Bozak - youtube tags [yt] and just put in the part after "v="
Yeah, i figured it out... LOL

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:28 PM
  #75
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Well this sucks. Hurts our playoff chances, increases Backstrom's workload with less pressure over his shoulder.Harding can just never catch a break.

I'd look to see who goes on waivers over the next couple weeks. NHL teams aren't going to carry 3 goalies, so there could be some decent ones there. We have a pretty high waiver claim. If none of them are felt to be an upgrade on Khudobin then keep him up. If a UFA is preferred who would accept a minuscule 1-year contract to be Backstrom's backup, then by all means sign him. I have a hard time seeing Theodore taking ~1M to play ~15 games behind Backstrom.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.