HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Waiver Draft

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 11:51 AM
Leetchie

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Waiver Draft

Well... all in all, we got Sheldon Keefe, Mike Siklenka, and Joel Bouchard for nothing.

We lost Petrovicky -- and Heins and Hereema -- all of whom were waiver pick ups anyway.

Siklenka seems like an enforcer type -- 6'5", 225-lbs and lots of PIM's. Bouchard adds depth to our D and played well for us last year.

Keefe is the guy I'm excited about. His stock has obviously fallen since he was taken in the second round, but he's got potential. He's smallish, but plays very hard and in-your-face. He's like Petrovicky, except with better offensive skills. He's got off-ice problems -- insubbordination -- but if we can get his head straight, he's just 23 and has plenty of skills. At the draft, scouts said he was like a bigger Theo Fleury.

Old
10-03-2003, 11:57 AM
Edge

poor heerema he flies all the way up to ny and then has to go to St. Louis. i wouldnt have made that move if i were him because by moving him again you stand a chance of wasting that pick because you're gonna get a player whose head is spinning.

would've liked to have kept him.

i have mixed feelings on Keefe. That talent is there, moreso then Heerema but he's smallish and is another player with baggage in an organization that has plenty. just once i wanna stay away from the baggage claim area of the nhl.

Heins, Bouchard, Siklenka, i could care less about. Those guys have little or no upside at this point. Heerema and Keefe is the real interesting part. Two 23 year olds who need to rebuild themselves and get a fresh start.

I think Keefe has the edge on accomplishments and high end but personally i think i would've stuck with heerema.

but hey we protected simon so who the ---- knows with this franchise anymore.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:10 PM
RFAN

As far as Heerema goes, how bad can you feel about someone we never saw play. Petro has play well for us from time to time but again I'd rather have Barnaby, if for anything else he makes me laugh with some of his stupid sh#$ he does on the ice.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:17 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
poor heerema he flies all the way up to ny and then has to go to St. Louis. i wouldnt have made that move if i were him because by moving him again you stand a chance of wasting that pick because you're gonna get a player whose head is spinning.

would've liked to have kept him.

i have mixed feelings on Keefe. That talent is there, moreso then Heerema but he's smallish and is another player with baggage in an organization that has plenty. just once i wanna stay away from the baggage claim area of the nhl.

Heins, Bouchard, Siklenka, i could care less about. Those guys have little or no upside at this point. Heerema and Keefe is the real interesting part. Two 23 year olds who need to rebuild themselves and get a fresh start.

I think Keefe has the edge on accomplishments and high end but personally i think i would've stuck with heerema.

but hey we protected simon so who the ---- knows with this franchise anymore.
Jeeze get over it. Hereema didn't even make the trip and poor him playing in the NHL.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Edge

well i'm not devastated lol. i've seen him play over the years going back to his ohl days and i've always liked him as a person and as a player.

i would've liked to see him get a chance to kickstart his career and in ny to boot.

i guess my biggest digust is seeing how mediocre simon was in camp and the preseason and knowing that he was gonna play no matter what.

i would've been perfectly happy moving barnaby back to the left side and having Carter-Kovalev-Lundmark and Heerema as my right wingers.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
i would have exposed Simon and protected Petro. Not that i just wanna trow simon away, i think he will be solid on the 4th line, but no one would have picked him up anyway. That way we keep Petro. And what is up with taking Joel Bouchard when Todd Simpson was still available?

Old
10-03-2003, 01:40 PM
ap215

I wouldn't have mind the rangers taking simpson he's one heck of an enforcer but instead he goes to the ducks.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
i guess my biggest digust is seeing how mediocre simon was in camp and the preseason and knowing that he was gonna play no matter what.
And yet to hear Sather tell it, he's the guy that is going to turn the team around...

I whole heartedly agree about Simon in camp...he just plain stunk Saturday and was a little better Sunday. Hasn't really done much in preseason and Sather says "I like the way he moves the puck out of the zone".

Old
10-03-2003, 02:19 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Keefe's so-called "baggage" is 2 years behind him. The kid moved on well before last summer and his attitude's been stellar ever since. Last year despite the fact that he deserved to crack the lineup, he got sent down and played with heart in AHL Springfield, scoring at close to a point-per-game pace. Never pouted.

He's a diminutive pest in the mold of a Theo Fleury or a Darcy Tucker, though obviously he hasn't fully developed yet. He lights up the scoresheet in the minors, just as he did in juniors (former OHL scoring leader), but he hasn't shown consistent offensive production at the NHL level -- although it can be argued that's because he's never had the luxury of settling into any one role for longer than a week at a time. Still, he's effective as an energy player, throwing his body around and getting under the opposition's skin. Since he's a versatile role-player, he can take shifts at RW or C on pretty much any line. His skating has improved the past couple of seasons, as has his play away from the puck. But Keefe's biggest obstacle (obviously) will always be his lack of size, which makes him easy to muscle off the puck. If he can learn to use his low center of gravity to his advantage, like, say, Marty St. Louis, he'll be stronger for it.

I think you'll like him. Good pickup. We're really sorry to see him go.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:09 PM
DLaCouture39

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
Keefe's so-called "baggage" is 2 years behind him. The kid moved on well before last summer and his attitude's been stellar ever since. Last year despite the fact that he deserved to crack the lineup, he got sent down and played with heart in AHL Springfield, scoring at close to a point-per-game pace. Never pouted.

He's a diminutive pest in the mold of a Theo Fleury or a Darcy Tucker, though obviously he hasn't fully developed yet. He lights up the scoresheet in the minors, just as he did in juniors (former OHL scoring leader), but he hasn't shown consistent offensive production at the NHL level -- although it can be argued that's because he's never had the luxury of settling into any one role for longer than a week at a time. Still, he's effective as an energy player, throwing his body around and getting under the opposition's skin. Since he's a versatile role-player, he can take shifts at RW or C on pretty much any line. His skating has improved the past couple of seasons, as has his play away from the puck. But Keefe's biggest obstacle (obviously) will always be his lack of size, which makes him easy to muscle off the puck. If he can learn to use his low center of gravity to his advantage, like, say, Marty St. Louis, he'll be stronger for it.

I think you'll like him. Good pickup. We're really sorry to see him go.
As a Ranger fan I love the move but it sucks we lost Petrovicky, he played with heart. I wish they would expose Simon and protect Petro, and why did u guys claim Darren Rumble ahl dman ahead a player with potential? It made no sense

Old
10-03-2003, 06:44 PM
LeServ

I'm stoked about picking up Keefe. I saw him play in the OHL and he had huge skills, great speed and quickness and was extremely ornery. He's Petro with quite a bit more offensive skill. Part of his "baggage" issue was his agent, a guy named Frost, who also represented another troubled youngster, the hockey player formerly known as Mike Jefferson. Maybe as Sheldon matures he can shed the influence of this guy.

check out his junior stats

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM
1998-99 Toronto St. Michael's Majors OHL 38 37 37 74 80
1998-99 Barrie Colts OHL 28 14 28 42 60
1999-00 Barrie Colts OHL 66 48 73 121 95

Old
10-03-2003, 07:16 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I agree with the Keefe upside and the fact that tampa fans wanted to keep him speaks more than his "past" history of being "difficult". I doubt we see him on Broadway, but lets hope so. Then again with the 5-8 minutes a night they will probably give him he might be better off in Hartford lighting it up...
I also think Bouchard did a reasonable job for NYR last season and I am glad he is back in the fold. Heins and Heerema seem to be fodder for the picks sather really wanted to make.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:57 AM
MCAN8899

vCash:
Is it true Keefe has to clear waviers before he is sent to the minors...if this is the case, my understanding is the Bolts get first crack at him?

Old
10-04-2003, 05:58 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAN8899
Is it true Keefe has to clear waviers before he is sent to the minors...if this is the case, my understanding is the Bolts get first crack at him?
That is true.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:41 AM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaCouture39
... why did u guys claim Darren Rumble ahl dman ahead a player with potential? It made no sense
I wish I knew. Boneheaded move.

Old
10-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Edge

whether it was due to his agent or not, there's always an excuse for every person with troubles we bring here. "oh he's over it" "oh it wasnt his fault" "oh its a disease" "oh he's matured"

In 7 years no one else has noticed a pattern that despite all these amazing stories about "cures" there seems to reports of lockroom meltdowns year after year after year.

When you're a team that has stability and success you can afford to take chances on people with reputations {no matter how long ago it was}. But when you have an unsteady situation is it really the best gamble to take.

on that i honestly dont think so.

Closed Thread