HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

ESPN's Kings Season Preview

Old
09-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Cup 4 the Kings
It only took 45 yrs!

vCash: 500
ESPN's Kings Season Preview

Pretty good read. Lebrun picks the Kings to win the Pacific

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2010/team/_/name/los

Enjoy!

Cup 4 the Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
"I don't buy the window theory," Lombardi told ESPN.com. "I'm not going through this to have a one-year run. Do I want to be Chicago and win? Yes. But I don't want to have to blow it up after one year."
Gee, I thought Dean would have gladly been in Chicago's position. Guess he just said that to appease certain types of fans. Wonder which of his comments we should take to heart. Pretty sure we all know.

Last edited by KINGS17: 09-27-2010 at 07:07 PM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:06 PM
wicker

The best thing about being in our situation is that we are set at the most important positions, and only need a sniper to even it out. We are in an enviable position, and that's why so many others have started hating. It's good to be a Kings fan.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:46 PM
vital

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Gee, I thought Dean would have gladly been in Chicago's position. Guess he just said that to appease certain types of fans. Wonder which of his comments we should take to heart. Pretty sure we all know.
The thing about Chicago's situation is if they would have lost, they would be in a terrible position now. Not winning the cup + losing players who contributed a lot this past season due to bad cap management = not a situation anyone would want to be in.

So of course Dean doesnt want to be in that situation.

vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:41 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Here's the debate.. Do you make the big signing in the off-season, win the Stanley Cup and then blow the team up because of cap problems. Or, do you shun the big off-season signing, keep building your team from within and win the Stanley Cup from there..

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:02 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital View Post
The thing about Chicago's situation is if they would have lost, they would be in a terrible position now. Not winning the cup + losing players who contributed a lot this past season due to bad cap management = not a situation anyone would want to be in.

So of course Dean doesnt want to be in that situation.
It's hard to say a team still with Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Campbell, and some good prospects on the way as well as being in a "terrible" situation. I'm sure they would take back the Campbell/Huet contracts if they could but having the Stanley Cup, a rejuvenated market, and a ton of talent going forward isn't a bad situation to be in at all. It could be better but pretty much every team can say that.

I understand the point about Dean not wanting to feel backed into corner but we also aren't at that talent level yet that Chicago was either. It's a nice problem to have though and one I believe Dean would love to eventually have. With most things those, the comparison of the two teams isn't apples to apples.

Good preview though, other than LeBrun saying that Quick was "terrific in goal." He had some terrific spurts but given he played his worst hockey when it mattered most, I fail to see how even with the most generous of stretching that statement is apropos, and I'm a Quick supporter.

09-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Chicago is not in that bad shape. They still have all of their elite core and now have some cap relief.

The Campbell contract is pretty bad, but like Smyth its a pretty good player being paid like a superstar. Like the Smyth contract it prevented them from doing some things they wanted, but it wasn't the end of the world.

Turco is an upgrade over Niemi as well

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:47 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
I don't think I could've dreamed anything as strong as that quote to prove my earlier points that DL says whatever he thinks people want to hear without regard for the truth of the matter.

Don't force me to go back to calling the allegedly smartest man in the room the other name he earned a while back. But please remind me what you call a guy when he says just what he thinks people in a given audience want to hear, AND he's getting paid to do it? . . . I know there's a name for that, it just escapes me now.

And unless he actually gets there, and establishes a contending dynasty, its all for naught. I'll reserve my judgment till then. Sure he's going in the right direction, but from the cellar there arent many other directions you can go.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:53 AM
yankeeking

would that name be president, senator or surely speaker of the .......well u know what I mean

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:03 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Really good article. Very optimistic. Seems the media really loves the Kings this season. I liked all the quotes though I am cautious around Lombardi's 'the right player will fall in our lap' response. I like his confidence, but it doesn't inspire a lot on my own part.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Here's the debate.. Do you make the big signing in the off-season, win the Stanley Cup and then blow the team up because of cap problems. Or, do you shun the big off-season signing, keep building your team from within and win the Stanley Cup from there..
You're misstating the situation. The question is "Do you make a the big signing in the off-season, for one chance to win the Stanley Cup and the blow the team up because of cap problems. Or, do you shun the big off-season signing, keep building your team from within and and have more than one chance towin the Stanley Cup from there?"

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:12 AM
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
You're misstating the situation. The question is "Do you make a the big signing in the off-season, for one chance to win the Stanley Cup and the blow the team up because of cap problems. Or, do you shun the big off-season signing, keep building your team from within and and have more than one chance towin the Stanley Cup from there?"
Are you implying Chicago isn't a Stanley Cup contender anymore?

Brouwer - Toews - Kane
Morin - Sharp - Hossa
Stalberg - Bolland - Makarov
Bickell - Kopecky - Pisani
Skille

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - Campbell
Boynton - Scott
Hendry

Turco
Crawford

They lost depth, but their defense is still one of the best in the league, goaltending is about the same, forwards is where they took their biggest hit, yet they still boast a 1-2-3 of Toews/Sharp/Bolland which is up there with the best in the league, the wings seem a little thin, but they still have Kane, Hossa. And Brouwer is nothing to be ashamed of. If one or two of their kids develops and performs above expectations they're in a pretty sweet spot, and even if they don't they're still a Stanley Cup contender.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:

I've seen people repudiate my belief that we need to trade Jack Johnson now because they actually see a 2-3 year window for the Kings to win the Cup. Tell me, when Martin Brodeur started his career with the Devils, did that give them a 2-3 year window?

But that's what Lombardi's going for, a team that always has a great opportunity to win the Cup. Sadly, many many people have either incredibly short attention spans or possess a need to have their Cup gratification fulfilled immediately. With all due respect, those folks can go to hell.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:06 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
You're misstating the situation. The question is "Do you make a the big signing in the off-season, for one chance to win the Stanley Cup and the blow the team up because of cap problems. Or, do you shun the big off-season signing, keep building your team from within and and have more than one chance to win the Stanley Cup from there?"
It's obvious why Dean answered the Chicago question one way for some fans and another way in the interview. It is because if you don't get the part that is bolded above, what is the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I've seen people repudiate my belief that we need to trade Jack Johnson now because they actually see a 2-3 year window for the Kings to win the Cup. Tell me, when Martin Brodeur started his career with the Devils, did that give them a 2-3 year window?

But that's what Lombardi's going for, a team that always has a great opportunity to win the Cup. Sadly, many many people have either incredibly short attention spans or possess a need to have their Cup gratification fulfilled immediately. With all due respect, those folks can go to hell.
Immediate gratification - the problem that every teenage mind has when trying to accomplish something worthwhile.

Last edited by KINGS17: 09-28-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old
09-28-2010, 11:24 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Boy, the memories of July have worn thin on many people around here. Yeah i guess DL really didnt want that BIG SIGNING during the off-season. Maybe he just knew that LL would outbid him him no matter what so, just to placate certain fans Lombardi spent tons of time making an offer on that BIG SIGNING that he knew would be rejected, all just to placate certain fans.

The real debate here is whether or not DL says whatever he can to justify his actions or inactions and because it is what he thinks people want to hear. I didnt make up what he said on NHL radio (that he would take ALL of chicago's roster problems in exchange for the cup they had just won), he did.

Now in a perfect world, sure every GM would like to have built a perennial cup contender. But knowing how bad DL wants to win something, I think he was actually being 100% honest when he was interviewed and asked about Chicago's roster problems after Chicago won the cup. I know he wasn't thinking about that pesky lawyer on HFBOARDS named DIEHARD who used to call him a shill all the time!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:48 AM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Boy, the memories of July have worn thin on many people around here. Yeah i guess DL really didnt want that BIG SIGNING during the off-season. Maybe he just knew that LL would outbid him him no matter what so, just to placate certain fans Lombardi spent tons of time making an offer on that BIG SIGNING that he knew would be rejected, all just to placate certain fans.

The real debate here is whether or not DL says whatever he can to justify his actions or inactions and because it is what he thinks people want to hear. I didnt make up what he said on NHL radio (that he would take ALL of chicago's roster problems in exchange for the cup they had just won), he did.

Now in a perfect world, sure every GM would like to have built a perennial cup contender. But knowing how bad DL wants to win something, I think he was actually being 100% honest when he was interviewed and asked about Chicago's roster problems after Chicago won the cup. I know he wasn't thinking about that pesky lawyer on HFBOARDS named DIEHARD who used to call him a shill all the time!
I really don't see what Lombardi is saying as being inconsistent at all. Winning the Cup is the ultimate goal, and Chicago accomplished it. Whatever the price, you take it. If you could guarantee a Cup in exchange for roster problems down the line, you take the Cup win every time. But his philosophy is that you don't blow your wad on one chance, because there are no guarantees. What if you blow your wad and don't win the Cup? Then you're screwed for several years.

As far as the BIG SIGNING is concerned, it was never something that I believe Lombardi himself really, really wanted but was more of a top-down decision - exactly what happened in Jersey, where it was made painfully clear that the decision to sign Kovalchuk for a boatload of money was not LL's choice.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:16 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

No, but he was addressing a completely hypothetical situation. Given you win the cup (which can't be guaranteed) would you take Chicago's roster problems. Sure, give me the cup and then I'll take the roster proboems. That never happens.

Dean knows now that he wasn't even close with Kovalchuk and I am sure he is ok with that.