HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Hodgson Discussion

Old
09-27-2010, 03:11 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

vCash: 500
Reports out of the practice today indicate Hodsgon is back on wing with Kesler and Raymond for Tuesday's game. Looks like AV is really testing his fitness level by throwing him with those two speedsters.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:40 PM
iamtherunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Reports out of the practice today indicate Hodsgon is back on wing with Kesler and Raymond for Tuesday's game. Looks like AV is really testing his fitness level by throwing him with those two speedsters.
Isn't that the spot he's auditioning for as well? At least he could end up on that line if he proves he's ready.

iamtherunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:58 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
I don't think Hodgson can skate with Kesler and Raymond. Maybe a whole game behind the play will convince him Manitoba isn't a slap in the face.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:06 PM
VanEric

He played a whole game with them last night and kept up just fine.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Jarko2004

I don't know why they'd play Kesler 2 games in a row.

Jarko2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:10 PM
forty47seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I don't think Hodgson can skate with Kesler and Raymond. Maybe a whole game behind the play will convince him Manitoba isn't a slap in the face.
Raymond and Kesler push the D back with their speed and Hodgson comes in high for the drop pass. Doesn't seem like an issue to me. I think your underestimating Hodgson's skating - he didn't look out of place last night. Sameulsson doesn't seem to have a problem making it work.

forty47seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:52 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Hodgson looked better last night after his absence from the game then Sundin looked after his absence

Some facts from last nights game on bleacher report.com

Quote:
But Hodgson was one of the better Canuck forwards in the game. One of only two Canucks skaters to be a plus player (Victor Oreskovich was the other), Hodgson was a plus-one for the night.

Altogether Hodgson played 17:40, and directed seven shots at the Oilers' net (two shots, three blocked shots and two more missed shots). While he didn't pick up an assist, Hodgson did provide a nice screen on Kesler's goal as he cruised through the crease and attempted to tip the wrist shot.

Most importantly, his back held up during the game, as Hodgson took a few hits and was credited with two hits of his own.
http://*******************/articles/...n-game-of-2010

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:08 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Hodgson looked fine out there I think it might be better for Kesler to play wing and Hodgson to play center.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
the fact he was +1 in a 8-2 drubbing and still played basically 18 min, is amazing to me.

He was solid last night, and will continue to get better

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Dado

vCash:
He got through the game without his body imploding. That's good, and all that can be reasonably expected for the first time out.

Old
09-27-2010, 06:01 PM
B-rock

Hodgson looked good, but rusty. The puck bounced off his stick on a few different passes and stickhandling attempts. I'd like to see how he does after a couple more games. He should be more comfortable and finding his hands a bit more.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him to go down to the Moose for awhile to get his reflexes and game up to speed.

I think if he was comfortable and at the point where he needs to be, he would have taken the extra second to take a step out and roof the shot he put into Khabbi's pads at the side of the net.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:32 PM
windflare

James Duthie article about Gary Roberts and his training program, and some quotes regarding Hodgson in there. Pretty good read.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie/?id=335457

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

He got through the game, but that's all I'll say. Didn't look as spectacular to me as some people are putting it. He looks a lot faster than last year, but doesn't have the speed needed yet.

He'll continue to improve, no doubt. I still can't see him cracking the lineup just yet.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:53 PM
CanucksOo

I would actually like to see Hodgson on a line without 2 of the fastest players on the team. It just seemed like he was putting most of his effort just trying to keep up with Macy and Kes. Also it didn't help that they didn't develop chemistry right off the bat.

oh well, we'll see how the line does tomorrow and I'm sure AV will change the lines up in whichever game Hodgson plays next.

CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Hodgson looked very nervous in the 1st period, wasn't him out there. Then he came out in the 2nd and started playing the way he can, and showed with his hockey smarts, positioning and puck handling why he was highly regarded in Junior.

His speed was ok, probably below average for an NHL forward, but not out of place. He was ok on the puck, again probably below average for an NHL forward but again not out of place and not unexpected for a 20year old. He was not afraid to mix it in and did not play perimeter hockey. On the Kesler goal, it was his forecheck that caused the Oil to turn the puck over to Raymond. As far as I can tell, he skated hard all night and was not floating around.

Considering everything that's transpired, that it was his first game in a long time and that he's only 20 years old, you'd have to consider last night a resounding success.

We should expect him to be sent down to the Moose though as even if he plays another 2 pre-season games, its better for him to take it one step at a time by playing in the AHL and to get in hockey shape. I would not be surprised though if he is called up before the new year.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
I would actually like to see Hodgson on a line without 2 of the fastest players on the team. It just seemed like he was putting most of his effort just trying to keep up with Macy and Kes.
Which is why I think Tamby will get the 2nd line spot RW come the regular season, as he has more experience and better skating to keep up with Raymond & Kesler.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:54 PM
VanEric

There's another dude on our team with average NHL speed. I think he won the Art Ross. Just saying.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:56 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
There's another dude on our team with average NHL speed. I think he won the Art Ross. Just saying.
But he has telekinetic ability.
You're way off base with your comparison

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:47 PM
crazyforhockey

Because of a crappy game allround there was very little flow for our team...will be could to see how that line playswhen things are alittle bit smoother

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
The only place speed matters is in NHL 11. Cody looked fine considering all he's been through. The back, the rift, Gary Roberts, the rift... hard times for the youngster. Everything will eventually piece itself together as he plays more games and gets comfortable out on the ice.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:25 PM
David71

cody looked pretty good in edmonton. hasnt played hockey for a long time because of his back injury. His skating imo has improved a bit... average below skater, sedin'ish speed.. but his hockey sense is terrific imo, finding the open spots when kesler/raymond are blazing in through the offensive zone.

David71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Bobby Lu

If Hodgson played center on that line with kesler and Raymond I bet they would gel better offensively with 2 players able to retrieve pucks on the forecheck more effectively.

I understand that they want to ease Hodgson in still and that center has too many responsibilities but I think that wing does not suit Hodgson style of play.

Bobby Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:56 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lu View Post
If Hodgson played center on that line with kesler and Raymond I bet they would gel better offensively with 2 players able to retrieve pucks on the forecheck more effectively.

I understand that they want to ease Hodgson in still and that center has too many responsibilities but I think that wing does not suit Hodgson style of play.
I agree. As the centreman, Hodgson would just have to feed the forwards the puck and initiate the play... he could act as the trailer and take a pass on an odd man rush while still being in good position to get back if the play dies.

That said, being a centre is a lot of responsibility. I don't think he's ready for that especially with him being eased into game-play, so I don't mind that he's on Kesler's wing.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Considering that Kesler and Raymond werent able to sustain any pressure in the past game, it's not like he's out of place with them there.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Jobal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Considering that Kesler and Raymond werent able to sustain any pressure in the past game, it's not like he's out of place with them there.
I thought Raymond did a good job of that. Anyway, Hodgson is not a bad skater. He'll be fine.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote