HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Music

Old
09-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
I'm so psyched. Teenage Fanclub tonight. First concert in... a while. I know it's for exposure and all, but damn do I hate openers. Headliners won't be on till nearly 11pm, I fear.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I'm so psyched. Teenage Fanclub tonight. First concert in... a while. I know it's for exposure and all, but damn do I hate openers. Headliners won't be on till nearly 11pm, I fear.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Oh, don't be so cranky! You sound like an old man! Have fun. I decided to skip this one because there are other shows coming up that are can't miss for me and I've also spent a few hundred bucks on hockey tickets for opening weekend so I need to draw the line somewhere.

But in a couple of weeks Dungen are playing at Knitting Factory and Nick Lowe is playing at City Winery later in the month and I'm going to both. Then in November, things really get busy. Black Mountain, Paul Weller, GBV, Roky Erickson and Man Or Astroman all in a span of two weeks!

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augscura View Post
Much like hockey, Music is a huge part of my life. Not just listening, but playing music too. I picked up a guitar just over a year ago and it has changed my life. I personally enjoy metal and most of its sub-genres. My favorite has to be Techy/Prog like stuff. Bands like Mirrorthrone, Opeth, Augury, Ihsahn, The Faceless, Obscura, Between The Buried And Me, Psycroptic, Gojira. I could go on and on.

Even though I prefer metal, I respect many genres of music that display some sort of musicianship. Jazz is another great genre that I am getting into. I feel Metal and Jazz or so diverse and flow with so many other genres so well. That's why we have so many sub-genres among those two because they can branch off and mix with so many different styles and sound good. The only music I don't like is most alternative rock, pop, rap, and country. For the most part, those genres are very one dimensional and there is no learning curve to it. I like to be challenged when listening to music. I like to go back and discover something new in a song that I have listened to many times. I like a lot of layers and depth in the music I listen to and I don't feel those genres have that at all but that is just my opinion.

Was just wondering what other people listen to and if there are any other Islander fans who play instruments and what music you prefer.
Lawrence Welk

Lennon Sisters

Black Sabbath

Alice In Chains

.......and a lot in between. Rather fond of those in my avatar. I play guitar.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:37 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augscura View Post
Any Opeth fans out there? I'm listening to the Blackwater Park album right now. This band has stuck with me for years now. They are just so good.
Never really got into them, although I will admit The Leper Affinity is a pretty awesome song. More into thrash, sludge, nwobhm, and folk/viking metal, but I dig some death metal (living in Tampa there's not much choice haha)-been cranking up tons of Obituary, Carcass and Death lately-Chuck was the man!

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Anaheim - No Doubt
Atlanta (Athens) - REM
Boston - Lemonheads
Buffalo - 10,000 Maniacs
Calgary - KD Laing
Carolina - Connells
Chicago - Smashing Pumpkins
Colorado - Jill Sobule
Columbus (Dayton) - Guided by Voices
Dallas - Toadies
Detroit - Iggy Pop
Edmonton - Joni Mitchell
Florida (Miami) - KC & the Sunshine Band
Los Angeles - X
Minnesota - Replacements
Montreal - Arcade Fire
Nashville - Roseanne Cash
New Jersey - Bruce Springsteen
New York (Long Island) - As Tall as Lions
New York (New York City) - Ramones
Ottawa - Alanis Morrissette
Philadelphia - Hooters
Phoenix - Jimmy Eat World
Pittsburgh - George Benson
San Jose (Bay Area) - Jefferson Airplane
St Louis (Southern Illinois) - Hum
Tampa Bay (North Florida) - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Toronto - Neil Young
Vancouver - Matthew Good Band
Washington DC - Fugazi
Decent list but I'd change Boston - Aerosmith, Buffalo - Goo Goo Dolls, Carolina - James Taylor, Chicago - Cheap Trick, Columbus - The Godz, Dallas - Roy Orbison even if he's from west Texas, Los Angeles - LA Guns, Nashville - Hank Williams, NY LI - Zebra, Phoenix - Gin Blossoms, Pittsburgh - Perry Como, St. Louis - Chuck Berry, Toronto - RUSH, Washington DC - Henry Rollins

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Augscura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Never really got into them, although I will admit The Leper Affinity is a pretty awesome song. More into thrash, sludge, nwobhm, and folk/viking metal, but I dig some death metal (living in Tampa there's not much choice haha)-been cranking up tons of Obituary, Carcass and Death lately-Chuck was the man!
Right on man! Chuck was the man. Sad that he died RIP. He would have continued to write better and better music. Was nowhere near his peak. Shame

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Groin Of Bates

Long Island-Billy Joel....

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Oh, don't be so cranky! You sound like an old man! Have fun. I decided to skip this one because there are other shows coming up that are can't miss for me and I've also spent a few hundred bucks on hockey tickets for opening weekend so I need to draw the line somewhere.
Well, I am a cranky old man. I'm now in my mid-early-middle thirties. But Norman Blake, five years since I last saw him, now resembles lovable, Scottish Uncle Norm. I feel better now.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
09-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Well, I am a cranky old man. I'm now in my mid-early-middle thirties. But Norman Blake, five years since I last saw him, now resembles lovable, Scottish Uncle Norm. I feel better now.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Bah, you're only as old as you feel. Us mid-early-middle thirtysomethings have to give each other a bit of moral support from time to time, but I assure you that you're not old.

Glad the show was good. I heard good things about the new record but I haven't had the chance to give it a listen yet.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Mikey Radz

I bought tickets today to Bad Religion with Off With Their Heads and The Bouncing Souls in October at the House of Blues in Boston. I also got tickets for Matt and Kim in November at the same venue. Should be a couple of sweet shows.

Mikey Radz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:29 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
I love me some metal of varying types. That said, I've found that I've been more open to listen to a wide array of content with so much of it being free.

It's a lot easier to listen to something these days, without having to shell out money for an album you would previously have hidden from anyone who knows you when you were younger. (Well, at least when I was younger.) Still, for the most part, I get exposed to non-metal stuff through friends or random Youtube searches when I'm bored.

Nightwish is probably my favorite band that I've come across in recent years. Their cover of High Hopes by Pink Floyd might help bridge the gap for some folks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkg88Mw5xJw If you poke around the rest of the End of an Era stuff on youtube, you'll get to hear Tarja who sings on most of their songs and has an amazing voice. Unfortunately, she's no longer with the band. (Their male bassist sings on High Hopes.)

Not that long ago, I purchased a couple random "Battle Metal" CDs and picked up some Authentic Scottish Pirate Metal from Alestorm. Hehe. http://www.myspace.com/alestorm (Play Captain Morgan's Revenge, the chorus gets awfully catchy if you're remotely interested in that type of thing. Other than owning a CD, I'm not affiliated with the band in any way.)

I still like like to buy random metal CDs from bands I've never heard of at Target for $10 or through Amazon. I've managed to stay away from MP3 purchases or music services. I feel like I'll be crossing that threshold soon. I'm afraid of how much disposable income I'll be going through once that happens.

I've thrown a couple of music documentaries into the Netflix Instant Queue, but I haven't found the time to really sit down with many. For the guitar players, It Might Get Loud should be worth it. (Also worth watching, if you're a fan of The White Stripes/Jack White, U2/The Edge or Led Zeppelin/Jimmy Page.) Might as well mention that I really like most of the stuff that Jack White is involved in. Even if you're not interested in his work, the opening of the documentary might get your attention.

I used to play guitar or bass in a few different bands. The bands ranged from metal, to punk with some ska mixed in, to punk and some hardcore mixed in, and what I'd probably describe as a garage rock band. It's been years since I've picked up my guitar with any kind of serious intent at doing something with it (or the time to do so.) Rather unfortunate, if you ask me.

My cherry red Ibanez isn't exactly in tip-top condition, anyways. I was thinking of picking up a new guitar at some point. It was always a good release and I actually think that playing was good exercise. That might sound ridiculous, but playing metal at my leisure, or any music in a band, always made me sweat a lot (especially in stinky, crowded bars and small clubs.)

Mitch
Alestorm rules!

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:17 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Decent list but I'd change Boston - Aerosmith, Buffalo - Goo Goo Dolls, Carolina - James Taylor, Chicago - Cheap Trick, Columbus - The Godz, Dallas - Roy Orbison even if he's from west Texas, Los Angeles - LA Guns, Nashville - Hank Williams, NY LI - Zebra, Phoenix - Gin Blossoms, Pittsburgh - Perry Como, St. Louis - Chuck Berry, Toronto - RUSH, Washington DC - Henry Rollins
Like Aerosmith, but 2nd half of their career is way too commercial.

Cheap Trick are from Rockford, but like them.

Zebra is originally from New Orleans but they had some great songs

Isn't Henry Rollins from LA?

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:18 AM
majormet

Quote:

Cheers,

Dan-o
Dan-o are you a 1995 Hills East guy?

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
Paramore, love Hayley<3

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:28 AM
twisting and turning

Quote:
Like Aerosmith, but 2nd half of their career is way too commercial.

Cheap Trick are from Rockford, but like them.

Zebra is originally from New Orleans but they had some great songs

Isn't Henry Rollins from LA?
rollins is from DC, he moved to cali when he joined black flag.

twisting and turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Dan-o are you a 1995 Hills East guy?
Nope, technically graduated '94 Hills West, but I skipped out on my senior year. So my last year there was '93.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
10-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Mikey Radz

Anyone else going to see Bad Religion any of the 3 nights they're playing in NYC? I wish I was seeing them there instead of Boston. But I do get to see Off with Their Heads and The Bouncing Souls, so it's win-win.

Old
10-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Mikey Radz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
Long Island-Billy Joel....
Gotta love Billy Joel.

Old
10-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Mikey Radz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4life39 View Post
Paramore, love Hayley<3
I remember seeing Paramore years ago at Warped Tour. Good times.

Old
10-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Radz View Post
I remember seeing Paramore years ago at Warped Tour. Good times.
Yeah man I thought they were amazing live. I've always been a big fan of them and I saw them for the first time live at Bamboozle in East Rutherford, NJ. Then, I also saw them at Honda Civic Tour in Philly this summer.

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Mikey Radz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4life39 View Post
Yeah man I thought they were amazing live. I've always been a big fan of them and I saw them for the first time live at Bamboozle in East Rutherford, NJ. Then, I also saw them at Honda Civic Tour in Philly this summer.
I've never been to Bamboozle because it's usually during finals week, so I can't drive down for the weekend, which is frustrating. They always have had a solid line up every year. I would have loved to gone last year, Against Me!, Matt and Kim and Weezer all played.

Old
10-13-2010, 12:57 AM
Mikey Radz

Weezer coming to NYC and playing the Blue album and Pinkerton for two nights in December...score!

Old
11-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Augscura

Bump.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Mikey Radz

Just bought tickets for the Bouncing Souls in December at the Stone Pony in Jersey.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Augscura

So I always see other boards have a lot of posts in music related threads, are Isles fans just not too big on music?