HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

And then there's the matter of Ruslan Fedotenko

Old
09-27-2010, 11:16 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
And then there's the matter of Ruslan Fedotenko

The herd is thinning and he is still very much in the mix. He's had a great camp. He has 2 Stanley Cup rings, lots of experience and he's apparently a Torts kinda of guy.

Still, historically he falls right into the the overload of bottom 6 players we already have, and I know I'm not alone with concerns should he make the roster we will see him slacking off by mid season.

Why is he even here?

Insurance should Slats pull the trigger on a trade for a top center? Gotta give to get. Maybe Fedo fills the hole?

Simply a favor from Torts and now they have to show the guy respect because he's been so good?

What do you guys think?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:25 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Why not? He'll probably be a 20-20 type guy and he'll come cheap. Gives us secondary scoring and most importantly would be a nice addition to the 2nd powerplay unit.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:27 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
The herd is thinning and he is still very much in the mix. He's had a great camp. He has 2 Stanley Cup rings, lots of experience and he's apparently a Torts kinda of guy.

Still, historically he falls right into the the overload of bottom 6 players we already have, and I know I'm not alone with concerns should he make the roster we will see him slacking off by mid season.

Why is he even here?

Insurance should Slats pull the trigger on a trade for a top center? Gotta give to get. Maybe Fedo fills the hole?

Simply a favor from Torts and now they have to show the guy respect because he's been so good?

What do you guys think?
I hope he doesn't make it. He's played well IN PRESEASON but he's not someone I want taking the place of someone else we already have in the system.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:32 PM
ogie

don't have any problem with them signing him. as long as it comes cheap.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:34 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
I hope he doesn't make it. He's played well IN PRESEASON but he's not someone I want taking the place of someone else we already have in the system.
But it's not like he is taking a spot from anyone we'd miss. Todd White? Erik Christensen? I think I'd prefer Fedotenko over those two. If MZA was still in the running, there would be a concern. He's not going to take a center spot away from anyone. It seems unlikely Prust or Kennedy would get cut. Boyle is also playing well. Well, it's all a mystery to me anyways. I'm not gonna post any hypothetical lines until we know who gets cut.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:44 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I dont see Prust getting cut. This team having two legit fighters is a most excellent move imo. When was the last time this team really had more than one guy who can actually win his fights regularly?

Last year they had no one who could win a fight until Prust and Shelly arrived. So far in pre season the opposition seems rather reluctant to fight the Boogeyman. I guess if an enforcer can do his job strictly on reputation thats kudos to him but eventually this team will need to fight the Flyers, Devils, Pens or get pushed around.

We digress, doubt Fedo will be fighting anybody. But he does have a pretty wicked shot that would look good on a 2nd pp unit.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:45 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
But it's not like he is taking a spot from anyone we'd miss. Todd White? Erik Christensen? I think I'd prefer Fedotenko over those two. If MZA was still in the running, there would be a concern. He's not going to take a center spot away from anyone. It seems unlikely Prust or Kennedy would get cut. Boyle is also playing well. Well, it's all a mystery to me anyways. I'm not gonna post any hypothetical lines until we know who gets cut.
I don't think he'd be taking a spot from White or Christensen...Christensen will be on the team regardless of Fedotenko signing or not, and I'm guessing White won't be regardless. He isn't a center either.

If anything he's pushing Kennedy out of the lineup. Probably won't be cut, but probably won't dress regularly. Here's what I see with fedotenko

Frolov-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Prospal
Fedotenko-Drury-Callahan
Avery-Boyle-Prust
Boogard, Kennedy

Staal-Roszival
Girardi-Del Zotto
McDonagh, Gilroy
Eminger

Lundqvist, Biron

The only thing I dislike about that lineup is that Drury is still at center, but you can only move so many guys to the wing. I like the way Fedotenko and Callahan have played together this pre-season. Avery-Boyle-Prust would be an awesome 4th line, Kennedy can get some work at center and Boogard can dress sometimes too I guess which is, btw, something I also dislike.

Wish the defense was stronger, but not great odds that it changes anytime soon

Old
09-27-2010, 11:45 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I dont see Prust getting cut. This team having two legit fighters is a most excellent move imo. When was the last time this team really had more than one guy who can actually win his fights regularly?

Last year they had no one who could win a fight until Prust and Shelly arrived. So far in pre season the opposition seems rather reluctant to fight the Boogeyman. I guess if an enforcer can do his job strictly on reputation thats kudos to him but eventually this team will need to fight the Flyers, Devils, Pens or get pushed around.

We digress, doubt Fedo will be fighting anybody. But he does have a pretty wicked shot that would look good on a 2nd pp unit.
It's not really doing his job if the minute he leaves the ice guys are taking liberties with our stars, especially when he'll only see the ice about 3 to 4 of those 60 minutes.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:52 PM
HockeyBurd*

Well he's easily been one of the best forwards in preseason. I don't think he's been great defensively though. I'll wait to see the last 3 preseason games before I judge him. If I had to guess, I think he'll find himself in Torts' good graces. But I think the fans will hate him by mid-season.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:58 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
It's not really doing his job if the minute he leaves the ice guys are taking liberties with our stars, especially when he'll only see the ice about 3 to 4 of those 60 minutes.
Exactly why I like Prust. I know Avery will fight if he really needs to, but he's not very good. At this point I think he only fights to backup/protect a teammate. Dont this he'd fight for his honor. Dubi will fight , but he's not very good either. That's pretty much it...

If they lose they lose, they continue to rebuild, work towards bettering the core. But I can't stand seeing them getting pushed around and worse Gabby, Lundqvist getting abused by teams with no retaliation.

I dont want any team looking forward to playing the NY Rangers. Even if they see a firm game plan for coming out ontop with their superior talent, I want them to pay. And if a team runs Henke or Gabby I want all hell to break lose and they regret ever setting foot in Madison Square Garden

Old
09-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
It's a long season and injuries happen, no problems signing Fedotenko.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:27 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Why not? He'll probably be a 20-20 type guy and he'll come cheap. Gives us secondary scoring and most importantly would be a nice addition to the 2nd powerplay unit.
But he's only scored 20 goals more than once in his career and won't be cracking our top 3 lines (at the expense of more deserved players already on the roster).... He's not getting slotted into my top 9, so I don't see a role he can play on our 4th line... Which current Rangers would you sit in favor of him on the 2nd PP unit? For me this matter is simple... Cut! Next matter please.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 09-28-2010 at 12:41 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:29 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Well he's easily been one of the best forwards in preseason. I don't think he's been great defensively though. I'll wait to see the last 3 preseason games before I judge him. If I had to guess, I think he'll find himself in Torts' good graces. But I think the fans will hate him by mid-season.
Agreed.

He is maddeningly inconsistent and his effort level has been questioned in the past. Worst case scenario he could be another Kotalik. He did have his best seasons under Torts, though, so I'm hoping for the best if he does make the team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hes played well, but i wouldnt really want to pencil him in the lineup right now...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:55 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Hes a winning player and like others have said, he is not blocking anyone.

Got no problems with it.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:10 AM
TreeSapLlama

I would say he is completing with Prospal for a spot, but Prospal was far superior last year, and we haven't seen him play this year.

Sign him for less then a mil, and he and Boogaard can take turns. He can play when noone will fight boogie (probably pretty often).

If a kid is playing good and deserves a call up waive him.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:13 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

The fact that he has been one of our better forwards, (which he has) in preseason, says more about our forwards than it does about him.

I don't mind the guy and I like his experience, but I just don't see any need for him. Where is he going to play? Who is he going to replace? I don't see anyone I'd sit/send down/trade in favor of him. I'd be okay with him replacing Kennedy and being a 13th forward, or even platoon as the 12th with the highly overpaid and unnecessary goon, but I think they actually intend on playing the goon fairly frequently. Doubt Fedotenko wants to be an extra forward anyway.

Let him play every preseason game if they want to (although if they had no plans to keep him, they shouldn't prolong this nor should he delay signing up with another team any more than he already has), but he doesn't fill a need.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:52 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't think he'd be taking a spot from White or Christensen...Christensen will be on the team regardless of Fedotenko signing or not, and I'm guessing White won't be regardless. He isn't a center either.

If anything he's pushing Kennedy out of the lineup. Probably won't be cut, but probably won't dress regularly. Here's what I see with fedotenko

Frolov-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Prospal
Fedotenko-Drury-Callahan
Avery-Boyle-Prust
Boogard, Kennedy

Staal-Roszival
Girardi-Del Zotto
McDonagh, Gilroy
Eminger

Lundqvist, Biron

The only thing I dislike about that lineup is that Drury is still at center, but you can only move so many guys to the wing. I like the way Fedotenko and Callahan have played together this pre-season. Avery-Boyle-Prust would be an awesome 4th line, Kennedy can get some work at center and Boogard can dress sometimes too I guess which is, btw, something I also dislike.

Wish the defense was stronger, but not great odds that it changes anytime soon
you forgot about Stepan who will most likely make the squad

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:07 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Personally, I think Avery is wasted on the 4th line. His play merits more than 6-8 minutes of ice, which is what a 4th line on a Tortorella team gets if they are lucky, and if he is going to have influence on a game and disrupt the opposition's star players that amount of ice-time won't cut it.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:30 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Do i like the idea of having Fedotenko around as DEPTH for injuries? Yes.

Do I like his versatility? Yes

Do I like the fact that Zuccarello was far and away our best forechecker last game and showed he gets the puck to the net and now Fedotenko is getting the nod over him simply because he's a "Torts guy" and scored one preseason powerplay goal after a miserable season on a STANLEY CUP caliber team? No. Not one bit.

I hope he does well, because I'll always root for a guy in a Rangers uniform. But I'd much rather have Zuccarello get a season under his belt than hope Fedotenko scores 25-25 and then leaves after a year or two. Unless Fedotenko helps us win the cup this year, it's not a good move. He's not a part of the future and he's absolutely taking a roster spot that could be filled by a young player who had done absolutely nothing yet to prove he CAN'T handle this level.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:07 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Do i like the idea of having Fedotenko around as DEPTH for injuries? Yes.

Do I like his versatility? Yes

Do I like the fact that Zuccarello was far and away our best forechecker last game and showed he gets the puck to the net and now Fedotenko is getting the nod over him simply because he's a "Torts guy" and scored one preseason powerplay goal after a miserable season on a STANLEY CUP caliber team? No. Not one bit.

I hope he does well, because I'll always root for a guy in a Rangers uniform. But I'd much rather have Zuccarello get a season under his belt than hope Fedotenko scores 25-25 and then leaves after a year or two. Unless Fedotenko helps us win the cup this year, it's not a good move. He's not a part of the future and he's absolutely taking a roster spot that could be filled by a young player who had done absolutely nothing yet to prove he CAN'T handle this level.
Alex Frolov says....

MZA also had a grand total of 1 shot on goal...so much for his ability to get the puck on the net.

Theres also no guarantee whatsoever that Fedotenko makes this team, MZA will very likely see time with the Rangers later this year once he adapts to the ice surface and the style of play. Fedotenko is ready now. thats all it comes down to. You do MZA no good by forcing him into a playing in a situation he isn't ready for.

The fact of the matter is, Fedotenko out played MZA by a WIDE margin. Torts said ppl would earn their spots based on their play. He's holding true to his word.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:23 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Alex Frolov says....

MZA also had a grand total of 1 shot on goal...so much for his ability to get the puck on the net.

Theres also no guarantee whatsoever that Fedotenko makes this team, MZA will very likely see time with the Rangers later this year once he adapts to the ice surface and the style of play. Fedotenko is ready now. thats all it comes down to. You do MZA no good by forcing him into a playing in a situation he isn't ready for.

The fact of the matter is, Fedotenko out played MZA by a WIDE margin. Torts said ppl would earn their spots based on their play. He's holding true to his word.
MZA was a better FORECHECKER in that game, in my opinion. There's no question that Fro is our best guy along the boards, in the cycle, around the net, etc, but MZA got in quick and caused a number of turnovers and fumbles with the puck. To put it simply, he put pressure on their D more than anyone else in the Detroit game. That's what I saw.

Secondly, I said ability to get the puck "TO THE NET" not "ON NET" I didn't say he had a lot of shots on goal. I'm saying, he gets the puck and he makes something happen to either shoot, or pass to someone in front, or just throw the puck into traffic in front. In his very first game, he was setting up Dubinsky and a few others with nice short passes around the side of the net. The point is its something that I see a lot of other teams score on plays like that and most Rangers just continue to pass the puck around the perimeter. MZA has a sense of urgency that impresses me and yes, he gets the puck TO the net in the form of a shot, pass, or simply throwing it in front. I like that thought process and I would think Tortorella would too, rather than continuing to throw it back up or around the boards and hope that someone ELSE develops an offensive play.

Thirdly, I didn't see anything that showed me MZA would've been in a situation he wasn't ready for. What aspect of the game is he not ready for? He looked a little raw out there as he was feeling his way around, but he clearly improved and looked more comfortable with each game and I think he deserved at LEAST the rest of pre-season before a decision was made to CUT him from the big team. I have no doubts he'll be back up this season, but I don't think Fedotenko brings anything that MZA doesn't other than "experience" which alone, doesn't win games, especially in this NHL. Skill wins games. MZA > Fedotenko in that regard, especially at this point of their respective careers. I'm also not naive enough to think that if Fedotenko stands out in camp, he's going to play like that on a consistent basis shift-to-shift and game-to-game. He was on a cup-caliber team last season and he made nothing of that opportunity in a contract year. But he's going to somehow make us a better team with his two cup rings? I just don't see it. I know he hasn't made the team yet, but it feels like he's going to and I disagree with it, especially at the expense of MZA. And it's not just MZA vs Fedotenko. Fedotenko making the team likely pushes Boyle or Kennedy out (younger guys with more upside / potential to be parts of this team's future which Fedotenko clearly is not) and also takes away ice time from guys like Avery. I'd actually rather see Avery get the minutes that Fedotenko will if he makes the team. We don't need a new face just because Torts has a hard one for him and he scored a preseason PP goal. Color me unimpressed. We have better options. Many of them.

Fourthly, Fedotenko did not outplay MZA by a wide margin. In my opinion, he didn't outplay him, all things considered. But to say that it's a FACT that Fedotenko outplayed him by a wide-margin and that's the only reason Fedo is still here and MZA is cut is really just laughable, in my opinion.

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 09-28-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:51 AM
NYR9968

so far this year i think that we have an over abundance or people to fit into certain spots and the coaching staff is intent to moving dubinksy to the wing

1. frolov-prospal-gaborik
2. fedotenko-anisimov- callahan
3. avery - drury - dubinsky
4. boogard-boyle-prust
scratch: kennedy, christensen

D1. staal - girardi
D2. gilroy- del zotto
D3. eminger- rozsival
scratch: mcdonagh
obviously hank and biron

NYR9968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:54 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I'm just really hoping this guy doesn't sign and turn into one of Dixon Ward/Brent Fedyk who stopped showing up once they got the dough, or less intentional Tim Sweeney/Ted Donato/Esa Tikannen 3rd stint in 98-99; guys who had nothing left in the tank.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

I would say that Fedotenko last season was the only Pen who outstank Bill Guerin. However, it was not because he had lost his pace or seemed out of it physically. It was simply a mystery where the puck skills and finish had gone. I cannot count how many times simple passes just wandered off his stick.
The previous season he produced at a good clip, was very physical on the forecheck and came up BIG in the playoffs.

I don't know how he could regress so much as he did last year, and if he is in any way coming back to 08/09 form, he is an excellent bottom6 player - particularly at the modest salary last year will have insured that he must accept.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote