HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Sergei Kostitsyn

Old
09-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Axeshun

vCash: 500
Sergei Kostitsyn

Hey guys, just a Habs fan here wondering how my boy Kostitsyn is doing?

He was one of my favorite Habs over the past couple seasons and it was painful to watch him throw those tantrums last season, virtually crying his way to Nashville. The last I heard of him was the first day of the Preds camp and I heard he was generally unimpressive and out of shape.

As you can imagine, there is basically zero coverage of anything Nashville over here so beyond that I have no idea how he's been.

Can some of you guys fill me? Thanks.

Axeshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 04:42 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I don't agree that he showed up out of shape or looked disinterested--i think there were just a few fans that were scrutinizing a little too hard. Either way, I've come away impressed with his two way game in both games I've seen him in. He's suffering from a bit of a chemistry issue right now, but it's training camp and the whole team kind of is. I thought he looked pretty good with Hornqvist and Lombardi last night, though.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 08:35 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I agree, I really like what ive seen from him so far. I think he will be a productive player for us

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:37 PM
vampire212

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
I agree, I really like what ive seen from him so far. I think he will be a productive player for us
i think he will explode into a more complete player in nashville since their strategy are different and more offensive then the horible jacque martin boring trap style play

i think he will be a good fit in nashville!
he is my favorite player!

vampire212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:31 PM
elsubz

Just heard he scored his first goal now. Good to know Preds fans appreciate him.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Stradale

Habs fan here.

I'm sure Sergei will be one of your best player this season. I'm pretty disappointed that things didn't work out here in Montreal but I always thought Sergei will be an excellent player.

If Sergei plays on your top 6 this season, with PP times, he will easily get 50+ pts.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Axeshun

Some encouraging things I'm hearing about him in this thread. That's nice to hear for a change.

Thanks, guys!

Old
09-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

pretty damn good redirection on the shot-pass from Shea Weber to put the Preds up 1-0

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Jarnberg

Sergei had a strong game tonight as he showed more clicking with teammates. His goal wasn't anything special as he redirected a Shea Weber pass, but credit to him for his finish as probably most guys on our team would not have made that.

It will be interesting to see if Trotz bottles him up hoping he doesn't create turnovers.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Axeshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Sergei had a strong game tonight as he showed more clicking with teammates. His goal wasn't anything special as he redirected a Shea Weber pass, but credit to him for his finish as probably most guys on our team would not have made that.

It will be interesting to see if Trotz bottles him up hoping he doesn't create turnovers.

I don't think you have to worry about that too much. I mean, Sergei is first and foremost a passer so you have to accept the fact that a player who likes to pass will turn it over now and again, but aside from that he is very defensively responsible. He was always on the PK here in Montreal.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:30 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

SK looked good out there tonight, im rooting for him to have a solid year. But i dont think Ward should be on the SK/Leggy line if they keep that one together, just because both of their passing skills surpass Wardos hard hands, they need someone on their line with a little softer hands that can receive a pass better than Ward and that is a finisher because i see both of SK/Leggy as passers first, IMO.

All in all i think this is the year SK shows he belongs in the NHL, and im glad for him to do it on the Preds.

Last edited by CantbeatzPekka: 09-27-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling error oooops nvm double mistake
CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:55 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by predsicle13 View Post
SK looked good out there tonight, im rooting for him to have a solid year. But i dont think Ward should be on the SK/Leggy line if they keep that one together, just because both of their passing skills surpass Wardos hard hands, they need someone on their line with a little softer hands that can receive a pass better than Ward and that is a finisher because i see both of SK/Leggy as passers first, IMO.

All in all i think this is the year SK shows he belongs in the NHL, and im glad for him to do it on the Preds.
I agree, I really like how he has looked last 2 preseason games. I would like a SK Lombardi Wilson line. Thats if Wilson is put on the wing this year.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:33 AM
glenngineer

Reading the things I've read could we see a possible Legwand/SK/Halishuk line? Could be a line that provides some pop while providing a shutdown sort of role at the same time. Any thoughts?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Reading the things I've read could we see a possible Legwand/SK/Halishuk line? Could be a line that provides some pop while providing a shutdown sort of role at the same time. Any thoughts?
If Halishuk continues to play like he did against Washington, I'd like to see that line in action. I like his drive to the net.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:21 AM
predfan98

There are 13 forwards if we include everyone from last year and add SK and Lombardi.

That leaves Hallischuk, Oreilly, Spaling, Lundmark, Anderson still here. ( oh , and klasen)

I think those 13 are assured (in my mind) As much as anyone wants to get rid of Toots, Smithson or Belak............they're here.

so, if we carry 7 D, which we usually do.

Does Trotz/Poile carry 14 forwards for a while? Of the people up there, I like Hallischuk, Spaling and Lundmark. ( haven't seen Anderson since training camp) (oh, I think OReilly is gone, somehow, sometime)

I don't know who really has the edge of the 5 playing up there.

Oh, since this thread is about SK..... I thought he played well tonight and looked more comfortable. I too think Legwand, Ward, and SK may not be the best pairing. Anyway, he got mugged a couple of times behind and net and high sticked, and he was out there the next shift skating hard.

(I think Franson and Parent have the 5th and 6th D spot)

Last edited by predfan98: 09-28-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: sk
predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:08 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
As much as anyone wants to get rid of Toots, Smithson or Belak............they're here.
You're right.

I don't mind SK and Legwand, but having Ward on Legwand's line is almost another year of demoting Legwand to grinder status and then wondering why his line doesn't produce points. At least they say Ward is healthy. But Trotz seems to believe he's a powerplay force and 20 goal man. Which is maddening to me. I like Ward. But we have more talent now to roll three good lines compared to when we had no forwards two years ago and he was such a nice find.

Oh well, it's not like he and Leggy stink together or anything at least on defense, maybe the problem was always the third spot, and with SK they may score. It just seems to me Ward is a bit slow of foot (and despite banging in some goals as someone else said he's not exactly a finisher either) to be the best choice on Leggy's line. Hope I'm wrong because Trotz seems to love that pairing, as if it's set in stone.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 09-28-2010 at 09:17 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:14 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Do you think SK will be mostly a special teams player? (PK PP?)

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Oh, since this thread is about SK..... I thought he played well tonight and looked more comfortable. I too think Legwand, Ward, and SK may not be the best pairing. Anyway, he got mugged a couple of times behind and net and high sticked, and he was out there the next shift skating hard.
I don't think he was high-sticked. It looked like he drove hard to the net and at the whistle had his feet hooked out from underneath him causing him to fall forward straight onto his face and leading to his visor cutting/scratching his nose/face.

Still he battled through it and didn't miss a shift...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:05 AM
lstcyr

Any chance that if Trotz wants to keep more forwards, they let Belak go? They'd pay him, of course, but it would free up a spot.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:25 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
You're right.

I don't mind SK and Legwand, but having Ward on Legwand's line is almost another year of demoting Legwand to grinder status and then wondering why his line doesn't produce points. At least they say Ward is healthy. But Trotz seems to believe he's a powerplay force and 20 goal man. Which is maddening to me. I like Ward. But we have more talent now to roll three good lines compared to when we had no forwards two years ago and he was such a nice find.

Oh well, it's not like he and Leggy stink together or anything at least on defense, maybe the problem was always the third spot, and with SK they may score. It just seems to me Ward is a bit slow of foot (and despite banging in some goals as someone else said he's not exactly a finisher either) to be the best choice on Leggy's line. Hope I'm wrong because Trotz seems to love that pairing, as if it's set in stone.
This is where I was hoping Anderson would fill a void as a fast skater he could fit in well with Legwand and SK. Ward is probably our second worst skater at the forward position.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:16 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I don't think he was high-sticked. It looked like he drove hard to the net and at the whistle had his feet hooked out from underneath him causing him to fall forward straight onto his face and leading to his visor cutting/scratching his nose/face.

Still he battled through it and didn't miss a shift...
thanks. we were sitting right there and couldn't quite make it out.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:19 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

anyone else hate Dustin Buff now more than they did already after that dirty elbow on smithson........... kinda thought this year they were taking a harder look at head shots, guess not. Sorry Klasen and Smithson.

Edit: Shea was looking to whoop Buff after that too but to big of a tie up between both teams and refs to allow them to reach each other....that woulda been a fight

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:33 PM
JrHockeyFan

Nice to see SK notched a goal. Read a few comments and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Lots of folks read him as uninterested. I personally don't see that. Strikes me as a subjective comment when somebody has nothing specific to criticize. He is not a frenetic run around kind of guy

He is primarily a play maker. Best in open ice or on rushes. Makes good strong passes. He works best when paired with guys who can get themselves into open ice or scoring position. In Montreal he spent the last season relegated to the checking line so that meant not so many points

Interesting bit of trivia. Habs were not a very high even strength scoring team. SK ended up 5th on the Habs in even strength scoring despite playing what amounted to half a season. Historically his +/- rating has always been good

SK is a useful guy on PK. Again he does not run around but generally gives good positional play to cover his check at the point

If he has a weakness on the ice I would have to say it is maintaining possession of the puck along the boards. He is not a turnover machine though

He's a good kid. Has a bit of a temper. Give him a shot and see what he does for you. If he gets put with the right line mates he could surprise you

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:53 PM
braindead

I agree with posts above about Ward with Legwand. Ward is not a top 6 guy on this team.

I also think we don't have a great solution for our passer-to-shooter ratio. We have too many set-up guys and not enough greedy shooters. Horny is the greediest by far so I'd pair him with two set up guys... SK and Legwand.

Wilson-Erat are more balanced but both still pass first and ask questions later so I'd like to try Sully as the shooter with them but I think Wilson stays on the wing so Lombardi gets the call.

That leaves Sully and Dumont (even if he's lazy, I can't stand the thought of watching him pass the puck to Tootoo and Belak for a full season) to play together centered by Goc. Then Goc can demand that the line not be broken up for the whole year in order to give them time to develop chemistry.

Throw the rest on a grinding dung heap and see who climbs to the top.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Do you think SK will be mostly a special teams player? (PK PP?)
PP: He has lots of experience playing the point on the PP (London Knights, AHL, early in his NHL career with coach Carbonneau).

PK: He's solid and been a regular penalty killer since his Junior days.

5 on 5: I really don't know how it'll go. He's played well in lower levels and in stints in the NHL. I guess it'll also depend who he plays with. You need to pair him with a shooter.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 09-28-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote