HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobrovsky baptism of fire, give it to him Now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-28-2010, 08:17 AM
  #151
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
lets bear in mind it's toronto, so im not gonna get too excited, but its better than nothing
Yet most here are excited about Bobrovsky playing well against Minnesota?

But, let the guy start out in the AHL and see what he can do over a string of games. If he plays lights out and shows that he clearly doesn't belong down there, then call him up.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:37 AM
  #152
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
But, let the guy start out in the AHL and see what he can do over a string of games. If he plays lights out and shows that he clearly doesn't belong down there, then call him up.
That makes the most sense, in looking at Bob with a long term view. I hope that's how the organization handles him, but I'm not all that confident.

Adjusting to the North American game, the smaller ice surface, and the new surroundings/language/etc. are a lot to handle without adding the pressure of saving the Flyers from themselves this year.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:19 AM
  #153
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
That makes the most sense, in looking at Bob with a long term view. I hope that's how the organization handles him, but I'm not all that confident.

Adjusting to the North American game, the smaller ice surface, and the new surroundings/language/etc. are a lot to handle without adding the pressure of saving the Flyers from themselves this year.
Agreed. Anyone remember the Pelle Lindbergh of the 1980 Olympics versus the Pelle Lindbergh of 1985? Development can work wonders. Don't rush Bob!

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:05 AM
  #154
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,622
vCash: 500
It's a tough call, if you feel Bobrovsky is a better option then Leighton how do you not play him?

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:18 AM
  #155
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Looks like Bob's on the team now that Leighton's out for a month. Bob-Boucher? I don't like the idea of him sitting on the bench the whole time. Do they split time or what?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
  #156
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Looks like Bob's on the team now that Leighton's out for a month. Bob-Boucher? I don't like the idea of him sitting on the bench the whole time. Do they split time or what?
Apparently Backlund is cleared to do everything and will play through the rest of camp a bit.

I expect it to be Boucher - Backlund, even though Bob is clearly better than Backlund.

UNLESS Bob either plays lights out through the rest of camp and looks like he's ready to start and run with it all year, or he goes down to the A and dominates while Boosh struggles. I would still greatly prefer he get started off on the A (barring a phenomenal end to preseason) and only get the call-up if he proves readiness in games down there.

I'm really afraid of rushing him just because Leighton's back is messed up, it's our first legit prospect in forever and I'd hate to see him mishandled just because we panic.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:06 PM
  #157
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
I understand what you are saying. But like Lee Corso says. NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND!.

He has skills yes. The young netminder is still pretty raw and could get exposed. I noticed he gets happy feet when there is traffic in front of the net when the puck is at the point. I think there is still some evaluating going on. Let him get some more pre-season games under his belt so we can accurately judge his prospects of making the team this season. Management and the coaches are doing the same thing. If he continues to turn heads i think they are forced to keep him with the big club.
First of all Lee Corso is an idiot my friend, and 2ndly i in no way am saying this kid is 100% ready to go, nor am i saying that he may not need to go to the AHL.My original post is very clear about that, it just simply says that in my judgement this cat BOB ain't your typical rookie netminder, and he deserves a fair honest evaluation to try out to make our club straight up.I was happy he got to play a complete game the other night, and from most accounts he played very well.I would like to see him given a few more quality starts to see how he handles it, and quite honestly to see how the OTHER teams handle him ? If he don't perform well or looks intimidated or very shaky etc, then by all means sand his a$$ down to the AHL or ECHL if need be......But back to my point, if he is given an honest shot to outright make our big club, and he plays well, then let the boy fly without clipping his damn wings.....This kids got the SPIRIT of a goalie in spades....Reminds me of Pelle in that respect, although different style of netminder.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:18 PM
  #158
seanerixon
Registered User
 
seanerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:14 PM
  #159
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,364
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Looks like Bob's on the team now that Leighton's out for a month. Bob-Boucher? I don't like the idea of him sitting on the bench the whole time. Do they split time or what?
Speculation or does this have any legs to it? Not being a dick, just curious.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:20 PM
  #160
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper
 
The Cheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Guilford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Speculation or does this have any legs to it? Not being a dick, just curious.
I think people are being too Pollyanna-ish about this.

Quote:
Pollyanna is a best-selling 1913 novel by Eleanor H. Porter that is now considered a classic of children's literature, with the title character's name becoming a popular term for someone with the same optimistic outlook.
Quote:
Pollyanna's philosophy of life centers on what she calls "The Glad Game," an optimistic attitude she learned from her father. The game consists of finding something to be glad about in every situation. It originated in an incident one Christmas when Pollyanna, who was hoping for a doll in the missionary barrel, found only a pair of crutches inside. Making the game up on the spot, Pollyanna's father taught her to look at the good side of things—in this case, to be glad about the crutches because "we don't need 'em!"
On a side/funny note though, it continues:

Quote:
Eventually, however, even Pollyanna's robust optimism is put to the test when she is struck down by a motorcar while crossing a street and loses the use of her legs. At first she doesn't realize the seriousness of her situation, but her spirits plummet when she accidentally overhears an eminent specialist say that she'll never walk again
Kind of like people around here thinking Dr. Bob is the next coming of the Messiah and all will be well with the world.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:24 PM
  #161
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Agreed. Anyone remember the Pelle Lindbergh of the 1980 Olympics versus the Pelle Lindbergh of 1985? Development can work wonders. Don't rush Bob!
Not saying you're wrong, because you aren't. I just wanted to put my .2 cents in.

The Swedish team was the only team to not loss to the Americans that year. In fact they tied them. Pelle played pretty damn well that game.


Last edited by dbr2: 09-28-2010 at 02:29 PM.
dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:43 PM
  #162
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
A flash in the pan decent pre-season and pre-nhl experience does not make a starting goaltender. What if you put him in and he gets shelled and goes 1-10?
I don't play what ifs.

Flyers management needs to decide:

1) Is he going to give us the best opportunity to win every night?

yes, he should be the starter.

no, send him to AHL where he will be the starter.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:51 PM
  #163
Mr Oysterhead
Registered User
 
Mr Oysterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I don't play what ifs.

Flyers management needs to decide:

1) Is he going to give us the best opportunity to win every night?

yes, he should be the starter.

no, send him to AHL where he will be the starter.
Not saying "what if" doesn't make your question less of a "what if" question. Both are hypotheticals.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:53 PM
  #164
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Speculation or does this have any legs to it? Not being a dick, just curious.
Nope, it's a official. Leighton is out for a month, and it was confirmed on CSN that we'd be going forward with Boucher and Bob.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:16 PM
  #165
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
it's our first legit prospect in forever and I'd hate to see him mishandled just because we panic.
I agree it's our first goaltending prospect in a long time, but come on, it's not our first legit prospect in forever. That'd be like saying there's more hype with Bobo than there was for Carter, Richards, JVR, Giroux, etc......? No way. But that's not a bad thing either. The less hype, the more a player has the chance to reach their full potential.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:19 PM
  #166
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Looks like Bob's on the team now that Leighton's out for a month. Bob-Boucher? I don't like the idea of him sitting on the bench the whole time. Do they split time or what?
I think Laviolette runs with whoever he feels comfortable and confident with. So far, he's been raving about Bobrovsky, so it's very possible he could use Bob extensively. He did that with Cam Ward and Martin Gerber as well. I say let's just sit back and watch how this one plays out because this will either make or break the season.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:22 PM
  #167
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,884
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeany View Post
That is intense and Awesome

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:28 PM
  #168
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2
I just wanted to put my .2 cents in.
Don't be cheap, put in the whole 2 cents. Value your opinions more!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 06:58 AM
  #169
Fuzzy Logic
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, UK
Country: England
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
I think people are being too Pollyanna-ish about this.





On a side/funny note though, it continues:



Kind of like people around here thinking Dr. Bob is the next coming of the Messiah and all will be well with the world.
Isn't that Voltaire/Panglossian theory: All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds? i.e. we have what we have, ***** happens but we can't change the past so enjoy the present as it is the best it could be...

My opinion is let him have a month or two in the AHL and if he still looks like a Flyers starter then bring him in. Definitely no point rushing him - there's plenty of games until the Stanley Cup!

Fuzzy Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:58 AM
  #170
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
Isn't that Voltaire/Panglossian theory: All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds? i.e. we have what we have, ***** happens but we can't change the past so enjoy the present as it is the best it could be...

My opinion is let him have a month or two in the AHL and if he still looks like a Flyers starter then bring him in. Definitely no point rushing him - there's plenty of games until the Stanley Cup!
But...Pangloss is the most brilliant of all philosophers!

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:00 AM
  #171
Fuzzy Logic
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, UK
Country: England
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
But...Pangloss is the most brilliant of all philosophers!
I reckon Panglos would stick Spongebob straight in and let him have his chance. He looks like he has the stones for it...

Fuzzy Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
  #172
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
I reckon Panglos would stick Spongebob straight in and let him have his chance. He looks like he has the stones for it...
Nah, he'd stick with Boosh.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:14 AM
  #173
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Not saying you're wrong, because you aren't. I just wanted to put my .2 cents in.

The Swedish team was the only team to not loss to the Americans that year. In fact they tied them. Pelle played pretty damn well that game.
You are correct. He was very good in the Olympics. 5 years later, he could be other-worldly. That's what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Don't be cheap, put in the whole 2 cents. Value your opinions more!
Hilarious!

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:04 PM
  #174
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Nope, it's a official. Leighton is out for a month, and it was confirmed on CSN that we'd be going forward with Boucher and Bob.
Very interesting, I am sure Laviolette is going to give it mostly all to Boucher as far as the starts go, but eventually Bobrovsky is going to get hi chance. It just sucks if he is on the roster and not given a chance to get burned, that is how guys learn at this level. He is going to slide and overcommit and players at this level are going to wait it out and pick their spot, plus you have d-men who can hit a corner from 25-30ft out with precision, tough to see with traffic if you are not used to it. Athleticism will only get you so far, at some point as a player they lern the game and put themselves in situations where they do not have to work as hard to make the great saves start to look routine.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:11 PM
  #175
Breeze 44
Registered User
 
Breeze 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 701
vCash: 500
First off, I can't take anyone seriously that refers to someone as cat and then follows that with " I haven't seen him play this preseason but from stuff I saw on film from Russia.."......

Sometimes this fanbase makes it hard to enjoy this great game...

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.