HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Gustafsson: Upside/Time Table

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
  #1
Qubax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,990
vCash: 500
Erik Gustafsson: Upside/Time Table

Obviously on a team stacked with the likes of

Pronger, Coburn, Carle, Timonen, Meszaros etc...you already have a ton of depth on the blueline...

but in a year or two when you need a cheaper option what are the prospects of Erik Gustafsson making the jump?

He had that nice run in the AHL at the end of last year, 7pts in 5 games...

Could he be the next Jamie McBain?

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:39 PM
  #2
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,401
vCash: 500
He's one of the many nice free agent signings Homer had last year. I think he's our best offensive d-man and I like him the most out of all of our non-goalie prospects.

Still, at this point in time he's only an average to slightly above average prospect.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:59 PM
  #3
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I doubt he's any higher than 10 on the depth chart right now.

Pronger
Kimmo
Carle
Coburn
Mez
O'D
Walker
Bartulis
Lehtivouri
Marshall
Gusta/Bourdon/Bertlison

Would be my guess.


Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 09-28-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:59 PM
  #4
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Just another in a long line of flyers dman who were overhyped and never panned out. Sorry being very pessimistic. No risk signing that didnt cost anything. so whatever they get out of him is all gravy.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:01 PM
  #5
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 500
The organization is extremely high on him, I know that much.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:18 PM
  #6
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Just another in a long line of flyers dman who were overhyped and never panned out. Sorry being very pessimistic. No risk signing that didnt cost anything. so whatever they get out of him is all gravy.
Hasn't panned out? Didn't they sign him like 5 months ago when his college season ended? I don't think he's going to be an NHL player but I don't think he "hasn't panned out" just yet.

Bourdon on the other hand seems like he isn't panning out. I remember when people around here actually believed that he was a first round talent but fell to the 3rd round because scouts didn't feel like going to his home arena in juniors because it was too far.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:23 PM
  #7
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Hasn't panned out? Didn't they sign him like 5 months ago when his college season ended? I don't think he's going to be an NHL player but I don't think he "hasn't panned out" just yet.

Bourdon on the other hand seems like he isn't panning out. I remember when people around here actually believed that he was a first round talent but fell to the 3rd round because scouts didn't feel like going to his home arena in juniors because it was too far.
NWO believes that all our prospects, with the exception of our two goalies, are pure crap and will never pan out. Best to ignore him.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:23 PM
  #8
seanerixon
Registered User
 
seanerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
I'm curious of what else Gus can bring to the table, he showed a bit of everything when I watched him in preseason. Hands, toughness, speed, elusiveness

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:31 PM
  #9
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I doubt he's any higher than 10 on the depth chart right now.

Pronger
Kimmo
Carle
Coburn
Mez
O'D
Walker
Bartulis
Lehtivouri
Marshall
Gusta/Bourdon/Bertlison

Would be my guess.
Bertilsson got hurt again. It's not looking good.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:33 PM
  #10
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
NWO believes that all our prospects, with the exception of our two goalies, are pure crap and will never pan out. Best to ignore him.
I know he pretty much hates everyone which makes me question why he's even a Flyers fan but even if you think Gustafson sucks, saying he hasn't panned out is just the wrong way to describe a guy that was signed a few months ago and has looked good since.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:34 PM
  #11
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
NWO believes that all our prospects, with the exception of our two goalies, are pure crap and will never pan out. Best to ignore him.
well you would be incorrect. so try again.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:36 PM
  #12
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
well you would be incorrect. so try again.
Really? What prospects besides Bob and Eriksson do you believe aren't crap?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:37 PM
  #13
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I know he pretty much hates everyone which makes me question why he's even a Flyers fan but even if you think Gustafson sucks, saying he hasn't panned out is just the wrong way to describe a guy that was signed a few months ago and has looked good since.
Go reread the post. I did not say he has not panned out, as you said, it is much early to say he hasnt. Nah I dont hate everyone, just dotn liek everyone liek most on here do.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:05 PM
  #14
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Really? What prospects besides Bob and Eriksson do you believe aren't crap?
Doesnt matter as you stated i hate all the prospects. I am also skeptical of the goalie prospects, i am not a hater or fanboy of either since i have not seen them play. I like Bertilson, Nodl, Mcginn, Rinaldo, Chaput, Wellwood, Kalinski. Klotz. Based on what people have told me Bodrov(though only seen him a few times with the phantoms).

I have seen so many d prospects over the last 20 years get hyped up and never sniff the nhl. So i do not get to excited anymore.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
  #15
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
At this point I would take Gustaffson or Bourdon over Meszaros, man does that guy S U C K, no wonder Stevie Y let him go.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:34 PM
  #16
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
At this point I would take Gustaffson or Bourdon over Meszaros, man does that guy S U C K, no wonder Stevie Y let him go.
Bourdon was bad for the Phantoms last year. No thanks.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:42 PM
  #17
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Bourdon was bad for the Phantoms last year. No thanks.
Actually once he acclimated to the AHL game he was one of the better d-men on the roster and he has had a good showing in training camp, so I am not quite sure what you are gauging your decision on.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:51 PM
  #18
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,724
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Realistically, I don't see him on this team no matter how well he does for at least 2 years.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:54 PM
  #19
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Actually once he acclimated to the AHL game he was one of the better d-men on the roster and he has had a good showing in training camp, so I am not quite sure what you are gauging your decision on.
Wrong. Watched almost every AHL game last season. He was maybe the 3rd best d-man on the team behind Lehtivouri and Marshall. His skating is horrendous and he doesnt have speed. He can move the puck well and has a pretty good slapshot, but needs to get stronger on his skates.

On Gustafsson, I think the management is high on him. Played 27 minutes last preseason game, including time in OT on a 4 on 3. It will be interesting on how he does this year in the AHL. If he shows he can play solid defense (even if he is small, he has always been known to be a solid defender), he could probablly make the team next season.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:04 PM
  #20
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wrong. Watched almost every AHL game last season. He was maybe the 3rd best d-man on the team behind Lehtivouri and Marshall. His skating is horrendous and he doesnt have speed. He can move the puck well and has a pretty good slapshot, but needs to get stronger on his skates.

On Gustafsson, I think the management is high on him. Played 27 minutes last preseason game, including time in OT on a 4 on 3. It will be interesting on how he does this year in the AHL. If he shows he can play solid defense (even if he is small, he has always been known to be a solid defender), he could probablly make the team next season.
Which is precisely what I said, he improved his skating and is working on the areas where he knows he is weak. My impression on what has been mentioned about him and what I have seen in his brief NHL preseason is he is taking steps to address his speed and skating, but he has all the other tools, thus why I would prefer him over an overpaid Meszaros.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:15 PM
  #21
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Just another in a long line of flyers dman who were overhyped and never panned out. Sorry being very pessimistic. No risk signing that didnt cost anything. so whatever they get out of him is all gravy.
Seems to me like you say he's already on that list. I agree that we often get too excited about prospects, this is Hockey's Future after all, but to write off Gustafsson already is a bit premature. As all of our current Phantoms he's far from certain of ever becoming a regular NHL player, but what little I've seen has been good so far.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:24 PM
  #22
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,219
vCash: 500
I honestly find that he can replace Timonen in a couple of years as well if need be.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:27 PM
  #23
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Seems to me like you say he's already on that list. I agree that we often get too excited about prospects, this is Hockey's Future after all, but to write off Gustafsson already is a bit premature. As all of our current Phantoms he's far from certain of ever becoming a regular NHL player, but what little I've seen has been good so far.
Not what i meant in his case as he hasnt even really played any pro hockey at all, less the what 7 games end of last year. Just saying he is in the line.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:29 PM
  #24
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I honestly find that he can replace Timonen in a couple of years as well if need be.
I loev these type of comments. Based on what can he replace a top 15 nhl dman? Going just a tad overboard i would say. If he ever makes it as a solid 6th dman for a few years be happy. Replace Timmonen, wow.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:34 PM
  #25
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I loev these type of comments. Based on what can he replace a top 15 nhl dman? Going just a tad overboard i would say. If he ever makes it as a solid 6th dman for a few years be happy. Replace Timmonen, wow.
Why cant he? Cause he wasnt drafted? Because he wasnt a 1st round pick? If he plays well enough on the offensive side and defense side, why cant he become a good defender? Based on what tells us that he wont be a top 4 defender?

Now maybe he doesnt become anymore more then a AHLer, but I like how you make it sound like he, at most, will be a 6th pairing guy and like its already set in stone.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.