HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo groin strain

Old
09-27-2010, 07:42 PM
NuxFan09

vCash: 500
****!! Such is par for the course with the Canucks. Like clockwork.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Stonz

Nothing to panic about.

It seems to me that in the last couple of training camps there were a fair number of groin strains and similar minor injuires. It's really not surprising when these guys start to really gear up for the first time.

At least to me, this camp has actually been remarkable for how few of these types of mild ailments we've seen.

Stonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

I am sure that most of the people here had a strained muscle before in their lives and would scarcely call it an "injury".

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
I am sure that most of the people here had a strained muscle before in their lives and would scarcely call it an "injury".
Never underestimate the ability of people on these boards to freak out over the most minor things. This isn't all that different from THE RIFT.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:23 PM
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
It was Alberts.

Argh.
Of course it was Albert

DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
He was pushed, though.

Luongo was pretty slow to get up, but commentators didn't mention anything.
I was annoyed at that lack of observation by them, clearly the commentators are shaking off the summer rust as well, plus it didn't help that boring Burrows was the colour man.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:52 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
I was annoyed at that lack of observation by them, clearly the commentators are shaking off the summer rust as well, plus it didn't help that boring Burrows was the colour man.
yeah. there was definitely a lack of observation, and an unusual number of mistaken calls, wrong player calls, etc.

like everyone, probably still just getting used to all the new player and numbers, shaking of the rust of their own.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:04 PM
serge2k

he hurt it when he fell down because he caught his skate in THE RIFT.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:28 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
WOW!

He got his skate stuck in cody hodgson?

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Libor Polasek

From now on, whenever I read about a groin injury, I'm posting "George C. Scott, in man getting hit by football".

Libor Polasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:19 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
clearly the rift is in his groin.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:49 AM
quat
vapid but stately

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
So now the excuses are starting ahead of time... somehow the same defense wasn't an excuse for Luongo last year. Schneider needs to be better. Period.
lol You know, I found your posts about being patient with Ballard to be pretty succinct, conversely, I feel quite the opposite regarding almost every post you've made about Schneider. It's hard to believe you're the same person drawing these conclusions.

Clearly Cory got rattled in that game, as any goaltender in the league would have playing in his place. Of course he needs to be better, but it's a preseason game where he was completely left out to dry. Maybe the score should have been 6-2 instead of 8-2... big freaking deal.

And now you're already slagging the guy for failing a game he hasn't played. If the Canucks play like they did last game, no goalie on earth is going to win them the game.

He actually made some pretty difficult stops when the game was completely lost, which I'm guessing isn't the easiest thing to do when you've made some errors that led to goals as well. I'm not going to pretend that Schneider played a good game, but some of you guys are really jumping the gun on this guy. I guess some of you need to have your wiping boy's all in a row in case someone gets traded, or actually turns out to play well.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Placebo Effect

No worries, when he's healed his groin will have never felt better

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:02 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
lol You know, I found your posts about being patient with Ballard to be pretty succinct, conversely, I feel quite the opposite regarding almost every post you've made about Schneider. It's hard to believe you're the same person drawing these conclusions.

Clearly Cory got rattled in that game, as any goaltender in the league would have playing in his place. Of course he needs to be better, but it's a preseason game where he was completely left out to dry. Maybe the score should have been 6-2 instead of 8-2... big freaking deal.

And now you're already slagging the guy for failing a game he hasn't played. If the Canucks play like they did last game, no goalie on earth is going to win them the game.

He actually made some pretty difficult stops when the game was completely lost, which I'm guessing isn't the easiest thing to do when you've made some errors that led to goals as well. I'm not going to pretend that Schneider played a good game, but some of you guys are really jumping the gun on this guy. I guess some of you need to have your wiping boy's all in a row in case someone gets traded, or actually turns out to play well.
The problem, similar to the Bieksa situation, is not just the last game but Schneider's whole body of work at the NHL level. He needs to be better. Unfortunately he doesn't have a whole lot of time to get better. As has been pointed out before, Schneider took a while to adjust to the AHL and while it would be nice to give him the same time to adjust to the NHL, it's just not possible — he has to figure things out soon. What's going to make the situation even more difficult is the fact that Schneider will not get a chance to get in the groove — he'll be getting a game here, a game there, etc. This doesn't seem like an ideal situation for a goaltender like him.

All in all, I'm less frustrated with Schneider and more frustrated with the overall backup goaltending situation — I don't feel comfortable going into the season with just Schneider and Lack. But if this is how it's going to be then Schneider needs to figure things out sooner rather than later and justify all the hype that there was around him.

The difference between Schneider and Ballard is that one of them has a history of good play, whereas the other is an unproven rookie. Similar to how nobody is panicking about Samuelsson, I'm not panicking about Ballard because I've seen him play and I know that he will go back to being the defender we traded for soon enough.

Then there's also my concerns about what I've seen from Schneider at the AHL level (mentally and technically) —*I just don't find him to be as high quality of a prospect as some others on here.

Last edited by Tiranis: 09-28-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old
09-28-2010, 04:29 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
The problem, similar to the Bieksa situation, is not just the last game but Schneider's whole body of work at the NHL level. He needs to be better. Unfortunately he doesn't have a whole lot of time to get better. As has been pointed out before, Schneider took a while to adjust to the AHL and while it would be nice to give him the same time to adjust to the NHL, it's just not possible he has to figure things out soon. What's going to make the situation even more difficult is the fact that Schneider will not get a chance to get in the groove he'll be getting a game here, a game there, etc. This doesn't seem like an ideal situation for a goaltender like him.

All in all, I'm less frustrated with Schneider and more frustrated with the overall backup goaltending situation I don't feel comfortable going into the season with just Schneider and Lack. But if this is how it's going to be then Schneider needs to figure things out sooner rather than later and justify all the hype that there was around him.

The difference between Schneider and Ballard is that one of them has a history of good play, whereas the other is an unproven rookie. Similar to how nobody is panicking about Samuelsson, I'm not panicking about Ballard because I've seen him play and I know that he will go back to being the defender we traded for soon enough.

Then there's also my concerns about what I've seen from Schneider at the AHL level (mentally and technically) *I just don't find him to be as high quality of a prospect as some others on here.
I see where some of your concerns about Schneider come from...but honestly, i think they're pretty unfounded. He's only had a few sporadic games here and there in the NHL amidst somewhat chaotic circumstance...and already last year by the time he actualy got a a START, he looked like he'd improved worlds from the previous year. Yes, he's probably going to need the defence to hold up their end of the bargain...but do you not think that would be true of any sub $900k goaltender? The difference between Schneider and a 'generic cheap vet backup' is that Schneider has the very real possibility of actually stealing games. much like he demonstrated in that Stars game, he CAN be an absolute wall in net...and personally, i'd much rather go into the season with a guy who could legitimately WIN games, over a guy who's just there to try his best to not BLOW wins.

The way i see it...He has yet to have a chance to prove himself in the NHL where it hasn't been a ridiculous do-or-die situation, being called up because Luongo is injured and it's basically up to him to save the day. I mean, when it was Schneider or Sanford...and Sanford was already struggling mightily...what do you expect from a call-up who wasn't quite ready? He's had a ton of AHL seasoning since then, and looked close to ready in his very brief stint last year. and aside from the ONE preseason game where everything completely fell apart the whole team over...he's looked every bit the part of an NHL ready goaltending prospect.

at some point...you have to let your young guys play. otherwise...you're the NY Rangers, and that's terrible. but seriously...

i don't see why anybody would think that having an elite netminding prospect back up an elite NHL goaltender is a bad thing. worst case scenario, Schneider blows it early, i eat my words, and Luongo plays his usual 70 game pace. big deal. but the idea of having a goaltender who we can actually play against quality opponents and not just sit on the edge of our seats waiting for them to blow it...is huge. and if Schneider can show what i think he can...and play ~20 games...and not have a big dropoff in quality of goaltending...then that's a big plus for the team IMO.

Schneider is a guy who has proven all he possibly can at the AHL level...and other than a handful of games where he was far from ready and in far from ideal circumstance...has done nothing to prove that he ISN'T NHL worthy.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Inside McKenzie

I believe that Luongo likely has significant underlying hip issues that are related to his recurring (chronic?) groin issues. I would not be surprised for him to miss significant time as soon as this season, or within the next season or two, such as goalies like Giguere and Nabakov have...

This article may be of interest ("The Butterfly is ravaging goalies" from SIhttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ies/index.html

Inside McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:15 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside McKenzie View Post
I believe that Luongo likely has significant underlying hip issues that are related to his recurring (chronic?) groin issues. I would not be surprised for him to miss significant time as soon as this season, or within the next season or two, such as goalies like Giguere and Nabakov have...
I hope that is not true. Otherwise Gillis was wrong in assessing the longevity of goalies and claiming that skaters and much riskier.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:17 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:

This article may be of interest ("The Butterfly is ravaging goalies" from SIhttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ies/index.html
Darn it, I can't access the article, not even through google. Anyone else with this problem?

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Tiranis

Quote:

I'm only hoping that you didn't come to this conclusion from Luongo's current tweak/strain. Because, FYI, when a 250lb man falls on you when you're in a vulnerable position, you're going to tweak your groin — there's no way around it.

Not to mention that Luongo plays fairly economically compared to Giguere and some other goalies. From watching Luongo play, he does not look like a goalie that has "underlying hip issues".

But, hey, why would anyone bother to inform themeselves before making baseless claims about serious matters.

Old
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Inside McKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Darn it, I can't access the article, not even through google. Anyone else with this problem?
Try searching "david epstein the butterfly is ravaging goalies sports illustrated"

Note that there are 2 pages to the article and you have to hit continue at the bottom to see the second page

Old
09-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Inside McKenzie

Quote:
I'm only hoping that you didn't come to this conclusion from Luongo's current tweak/strain. Because, FYI, when a 250lb man falls on you when you're in a vulnerable position, you're going to tweak your groin there's no way around it.
No I have been thinking this for awhile, this one may or may not be related. I wouldn't go so far to call it a conclusion as I am pretty removed from the situation, but it is what I suspect

Old
09-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Inside McKenzie

Quote:
I'm only hoping that you didn't come to this conclusion from Luongo's current tweak/strain. Because, FYI, when a 250lb man falls on you when you're in a vulnerable position, you're going to tweak your groin there's no way around it.

Not to mention that Luongo plays fairly economically compared to Giguere and some other goalies. From watching Luongo play, he does not look like a goalie that has "underlying hip issues".

But, hey, why would anyone bother to inform themeselves before making baseless claims about serious matters.
Well, I am providing my opinion that is not baseless. I am basing it on his recurring groin injuries and a history of goaltenders who play the butterfly style experiencing similar symptoms around the same age. You appear to be a little defensive and are "informing" yourself through luongo not looking like a goalie with a hip issue. Well, I'm no expert, perhaps you have some sports medicine or medical degree/experience etc., but I'm not sure watching a goalie through so much equipment moving around is "informing" yourself about the condition of his hip, particularly when so many goalies discuss the problem.

Luongo, I believe, appears to likely have at least some hip issues. The explanation of the movements in that article seems to indicate the butterfly style wears on hips. Now, will he miss games like Giguere or Nabakov or others mentioned in the article, perhaps not. Perhaps he will have surgery late in his career or after it. Perhaps never. But I would not be surprised if he does...

Old
09-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
No I have been thinking this for awhile, this one may or may not be related. I wouldn't go so far to call it a conclusion as I am pretty removed from the situation, but it is what I suspect
Luongo, in his career, has missed 24 games to a groin injury — that was in 08/09 and it was the only time that he has had an actual groin injury. Every single goaltender with chronic hip/joint problems has had a history of groin injuries prior to getting a surgery — a history of reoccuring, nagging problems. More importantly, Luongo has never had any surgeries related to his hips/joints. This together with the kind of butterfly he plays (as well as his on ice movements) leads me to believe that he does not have any underlying chronic problems.

You, of course, are free to base your opinions on nothing but hunches and comparisons to goalies who play the butterfly completely differently, with a completely different record of injuries.

Edit: Perhaps even more importantly his only groin injury wasn't even joint related, afaik. Neither is this one.

Old
09-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Inside McKenzie

Quote:

You, of course, are free to base your opinions on nothing but hunches and comparisons to goalies who play the butterfly completely differently, with a completely different record of injuries...
Yes, thank you. I am not claiming to have done any kind of in depth study or analysis, and I am no expert. I am just speculating, a hunch that seems plausible. It is not baseless, but my opinion is certainly not conclusive or confirmed, and is not even a solid diagnosis of Luongo; however, I am not purporting it to be.

I'm no goaltending expert, and I likely do not appreciate or understand the nuances of the butterfly style in which I accept there are some variations, but I'm not entirely convinced that there are completely different forms of it to the extent that would dramatically alter the hip movements and related deterioration of the hip.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:13 PM
xtr3m

Joey Kenward
Quote:
Luongo hopes to play Fri in ANA. Minor groin injury last Sat in two parts...once when Alberts fell on him as well as collision w Bobby Ryan.
That Silver again!

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote