HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Lappy out indefinitely with post-concussion syndrome

Old
09-28-2010, 01:55 PM
RoDu

vCash: 500
I thought we used three pairings of forwards on the PK

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:56 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown Flyer View Post
F Me.

I'm sure Lappy would go on LTIR for the club and "retire" at the end of his contract. (2 years left?) Also, I think that they should wipe out cap hits on players the are forced to retire due to injury. That is just bunk.
the CBA has alot of bunk

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
F Me.

I'm sure Lappy would go on LTIR for the club and "retire" at the end of his contract. (2 years left?) Also, I think that they should wipe out cap hits on players the are forced to retire due to injury. That is just bunk.
That would get exploited. I would put forth the proposition that an independent doctor would be able to examine any 35+ year-old player and find a medically legitimate reason for that player to cease playing a professional contact sport.

Players would simply retire out of injury rather than burden the team with a normal retirement that would invoke the 35+ rule. And the insurance company would only investigate if a claim was put in... something that wouldn't necessarily happen if the team just wanted to circumvent the cap.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:08 PM
CptCannon

**** my life. Such a horrible news. Lappy's to hockey what Rambo is to war.

Get well soon, warrior!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I thought we used three pairings of forwards on the PK
Yes.

When everyone was healthy, they used:

Betts-Lappy
Gagne-Richards
Powe-Carter

When Carter, Gagne and Lappy got hurt in the playoffs, they used Giroux, Leino, Nodl, IIRC.

Now, hard to say, but when Betts is back:

Betts-Powe
Giroux-Richards
Carter-Nodl? Holmstrom? Kalinski?

JVR, Hartnell, Leino are all capable of doing PK duty too. It should not be a problem unless they replace Lappy with Guerin.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:19 PM
medicman

damn....just damn.

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Yes.

When everyone was healthy, they used:

Betts-Lappy
Gagne-Richards
Powe-Carter

When Carter, Gagne and Lappy got hurt in the playoffs, they used Giroux, Leino, Nodl, IIRC.

Now, hard to say, but when Betts is back:

Betts-Powe
Giroux-Richards
Carter-Nodl? Holmstrom? Kalinski?

JVR, Hartnell, Leino are all capable of doing PK duty too. It should not be a problem unless they replace Lappy with Guerin.
I think Nodl now makes the team because he can kill penalties, and having your bottom 6 capable of PK takes a great burden off your top 6 forwards having to do it.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:37 PM
jb**

I dont think it is tha big a loss really. Yes he was a great pk killer, that can be somehwat replaced and was during the playoffs. He wasnt goign to fight much this year anyway, they have plenty of leadership. Just hope he gets his nose and face fixed up as i can see him doing post/pre game live.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
F Me.

I believe you can thank the likes of Lamirello who use any and all means to relieve Cap space... The thinking in that CBA clause was that people would sign players at the end of their careers to long term contracts only to have them retire a couple years in... Had the Flyers signed Lappy to six years with the understanding that he would retire after year three, and front loaded it so he would have received his $4M or so mostly in the first three seasons they would have had him at a bargain basement Cap hit with the averaging of the contract.

As long as GMs use loopholes, the loopholes will be sewn up tightly before they can get to them... It is bad enough that they can long-term player contracts of the players under 35 and take advantage... I understand completely why it is in place, I just find that it is a killer in legitimate cases such as this one. At least there is the LTI that lessens the penalty hit to contingency rather than off the top.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 09-28-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Mr Oysterhead

I feel for Lappy on a personal level. It's plainly obvious how much the guy loves his family and the sport of hockey. Wish his career could go on for several more years but it's not looking too plausible.

Honestly, I don't think it would be prudent to totally count Lappy out for good. They don't come any tougher than #14.

On the bright side, this provides much clarity to the Shelley signing. And Shelley has impressed me with what I've seen in preseason. I think we're all gonna end up liking him a lot as well.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:48 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
there's no way Guerin plays with Carter and Richards, he cant keep up

and carcillo was on this team way before guerin
Guerin is a lock for this team.... Dont know how you can say he isnt. He was at the "Meet the Flyers" carnival thing...

Yea Carcillo was on the team before he was, but so far in preseason, Carcillo has not played on a scoring line. Prospects have been playing on higher lines.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:49 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Guerin is a lock for this team.... Dont know how you can say he isnt. He was at the "Meet the Flyers" carnival thing...
he's a lock now, but he was never going to be on the top 2 lines

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:51 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
he's a lock now, but he was never going to be on the top 2 lines
Like I said, switch Zherdev and Guerin if you please. Only reason I had Zherdev with Giroux is that they played 2 preseason games together and Zherdev has 3 goals playing on his line. I have a feeling Lavy might use them together.

Guerin cant even keep up with Giroux and JVR, so it doesnt really matter.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:52 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Wouldn't shock me if he never played again. I hope that I'm wrong, but a guy that age with a concussion problem is asking for trouble.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Has anyone confirmed whether or not he's eligible for LTIR, because he is a 35+

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Like I said, switch Zherdev and Guerin if you please. Only reason I had Zherdev with Giroux is that they played 2 preseason games together and Zherdev has 3 goals playing on his line. I have a feeling Lavy might use them together.

Guerin cant even keep up with Giroux and JVR, so it doesnt really matter.
I can see some pretty set ups from Roo on the Snipping Russians stick... If he can lay them there for him on a somewhat regular basis, Zherdev will get his share of goals. Both players make their part in those plays look so easy.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Has anyone confirmed whether or not he's eligible for LTIR, because he is a 35+
I don't think there is a question about LTI status... only that his Cap space is on their books no matter where he may be. If he is legitimately injured he can be put on LTI just as any other player. If he retires though, kiss the $1.167M Cap space goodbye for the next two seasons.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I think Nodl now makes the team because he can kill penalties, and having your bottom 6 capable of PK takes a great burden off your top 6 forwards having to do it.
Agreed, and it's the same with the D. Having big, physical guys in the 5-6-7 spots who can do PK means less wear and tear on Pronger and Timonen - and more punishment for the other team's forwards.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:11 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I don't think there is a question about LTI status... only that his Cap space is on their books no matter where he may be. If he is legitimately injured he can be put on LTI just as any other player. If he retires though, kiss the $1.167M Cap space goodbye for the next two seasons.
while i guess it isnt in the CBA(maybe it is i dont know), teams should be allowed to petition the league to have that cap hit removed if said player turely is done for his career. If you have indepedant Doctors telling him to retire the league should accept this as a valid reason. Take it to an arbitrator Shooter!

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:11 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1200
http://www.csnphilly.com/09/28/10/La...147&feedID=695

Someone asked earlier (Woof?)...

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/28/10/La...147&feedID=695

Quote:
Ian Laperriere says he played in last year’s playoffs with post-concussion symptoms, but did not tell the Flyers’ medical staff because he kept making excuses to himself. Why? He wanted to play.

“I lied to myself,” Laperriere told CSNPhilly.com on Tuesday afternoon.

“Pretty much all summer and even last year too, I’ve been lying to myself.

“Last year, when I came back and was fine, but I had headaches and I was looking for a reason why and saying it might be coming from my neck because I was wearing a shield and always finding excuses and lying to myself.

“Then in camp I would tell myself that I worked too hard today. Or my neck was bugging me again. At one point, I couldn’t go back on the ice again because I didn’t feel right. So I talked to Homer [general manager Paul Holmgren]. I didn’t feel I lied to them because I was lying to myself.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:16 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I can see some pretty set ups from Roo on the Snipping Russians stick... If he can lay them there for him on a somewhat regular basis, Zherdev will get his share of goals. Both players make their part in those plays look so easy.
Think we will see

Guerin-Richards-Carter (the focus here would be Richards/Carter chemistry, and Guerin is left in the dust)
Hartnell-Briere-Leino (obvious)
JVR-Giroux-Zherdev (Giroux sets up Zherdev, JVR gives them room to work)
Carcillo-Powe-Shelley
Nodl

????

I'd move them to this

JVR-Richards-Guerin
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Leino-Giroux-Zherdev
Carcillo-Powe-Shelley
Nodl

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:23 PM
mirimon

Damnation! After having seen some not-so-good 4th-lines for a few years, it was such a nice feeling to see Lappy out on the ice. Hope he'll take his time and heal (if possible) this time and not try to rush back. If this is the end for him, at least he's had a tremendous career.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:38 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Kalinski also plays center and the Flyers havent shown that they will use him on the wing. If I had to make a bet, it will most likely be Powe who takes the spot over (if an injury occurs)

I think management see's Holmstrom over Kalinski at the moment (hense why Holmstrom has centered lines from the 2nd line to the 4th in the 3 preseason games he played)
Kalinski was used as a winger on his first call up at least, I remember him being likened to a poor man's Upshall. I think he was used as a winger last year as well, at least for some of his games up with the Flyers.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:38 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Think we will see

Guerin-Richards-Carter (the focus here would be Richards/Carter chemistry, and Guerin is left in the dust)
Hartnell-Briere-Leino (obvious)
JVR-Giroux-Zherdev (Giroux sets up Zherdev, JVR gives them room to work)
Carcillo-Powe-Shelley
Nodl

????

I'd move them to this

JVR-Richards-Guerin
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Leino-Giroux-Zherdev
Carcillo-Powe-Shelley
Nodl
I think I might flip JVR and Guerin in your original scenario for two reasons. First off that 3rd line, while being unquestionably our most talented line, will most likely struggle defensively. Second, Guerin might be better suited to play with those guys where his job is simply to win pucks on the boards and then get to the net. Similar to Steve Downie's role with Stamkos and St Louis. Plus I think JVR will be able to do a lot of good things if he is on a line with Richards and Carter.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:05 PM
DrHamburg

well, it sucks for lappy and I have a man crush on him so I dont want him to retire. But if its lingering he probably should. He should be LTIR to benefit both lappy and the flyers.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote