HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Gustafsson: Upside/Time Table

Old
09-28-2010, 03:36 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Why cant he? Cause he wasnt drafted? Because he wasnt a 1st round pick? If he plays well enough on the offensive side and defense side, why cant he become a good defender? Based on what tells us that he wont be a top 4 defender?
why cant he? because he isnt good enough, thats why.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
why cant he? because he isnt good enough, thats why.
Where did you get that information at? Stats? Well it cant be stats cause if you saw stats, then he would be a legit prospect (you know, how he won best offensive d-man 2 years in a row in his league. Did you watch him play in college or even his 5 game stint? Highly doubt that. Im guessing its more of "What NWO with 0 basis" thinks then anything else

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:05 PM
jb**

Quote:
Where did you get that information at? Stats? Well it cant be stats cause if you saw stats, then he would be a legit prospect (you know, how he won best offensive d-man 2 years in a row in his league. Did you watch him play in college or even his 5 game stint? Highly doubt that. Im guessing its more of "What NWO with 0 basis" thinks then anything else
what is a legit prospect by the way? So then stats make you a legit prospect? Is that what yoru implying? I am glad he won those honors. What exactly does thats mean now? How many players have won that award and others and never did anything at the pro level? I am glad you think he can replace kimmo or be a top 4 dman. I really am, no matter how off base you are. Your right i never seen him play, your the resident expert along with Schaffer who watches all the games. No one else does. No one else has seen them play much. I should leave the prospect evalution too both of you. You seem to be very well informed compared to the rest of the people. I do love that throw back question though, did you watch him play? Get a chuckle everytime i see it.

What makes you think he can be a top 4 dman as you so think he can?
Is it the track record the flyers have at drafting,signing free agent dman, and actaully developing them over the last 20 years that gives you this warm and fuzzy feeling he will be a top 4 dman? Who have the flyers developed into that besides Therian? Please enlighten me.

Old
09-28-2010, 04:17 PM
mirimon

I won't say that he there's no chance he'll replace Timonen, but the chances are very slim. As NWO said, if he turns out to be a bottom pairing dman that can be used on the pp, we should be happy. Expecting a #1 defender from a guy with 5 professional games is a bit premature, at least.

However, it should be noted that it took a while for Timonen himself to assert himself enough to become a regular NHL defender, not to mention a top pairing one. He was 25 the first season he played more than 60 games, and didn't really blossom until the season after that if I remember this correct. He might in fact not have been given a chance if there hadn't been an expansion.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:23 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Bourdon was bad for the Phantoms last year. No thanks.
he's looked fine so far

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
what is a legit prospect by the way? So then stats make you a legit prospect? Is that what yoru implying? I am glad he won those honors. What exactly does thats mean now? How many players have won that award and others and never did anything at the pro level? I am glad you think he can replace kimmo or be a top 4 dman. I really am, no matter how off base you are. Your right i never seen him play, your the resident expert along with Schaffer who watches all the games. No one else does. No one else has seen them play much. I should leave the prospect evalution too both of you. You seem to be very well informed compared to the rest of the people. I do love that throw back question though, did you watch him play? Get a chuckle everytime i see it.

What makes you think he can be a top 4 dman as you so think he can?
Is it the track record the flyers have at drafting,signing free agent dman, and actaully developing them over the last 20 years that gives you this warm and fuzzy feeling he will be a top 4 dman? Who have the flyers developed into that besides Therian? Please enlighten me.
Finally NWO, your starting to see it straight. I finally got a reason on why you think 95% of our prospects will be just AHL players. Your basing everything WAYY to much off of the past. Way to much. Its more of a "Since it didnt happen before there is 0 chance it happens in the future". To you, it seems that, if their not 1st round pick, they will be nothing. You can critizie me and Shafner, but its true, we watch games. We dont base everything off of stats or what our inner feelings tell us (which seems to be your case). And yes there are other people here who watch him play. You know, the Flyers scouts (oh wait their wrong also), people who went to college with him (their also wrong), and anyone else who watched him play (wait...to you their wrong too)

Your getting it all wrong. I'm asking you why you think he will 100% not be a top 4 in the future. Your saying its already set in stone so why bother. I never said I think he can be a top 4 guy. He has the talent to do so, but if he ever reaches it is another story.

Oh and who won that award and became something? Heres a list:

Quote:
2003-04 A.J. Thelan, Michigan State
2002-03 John-Michael Liles, Michigan State
2001-02 John-Michael Liles, Michigan State
2000-01 Greg Zanon, Nebraska-Omaha
1999-00 Jeff Jillson, Michigan
1998-99 Mike Jones, Bowling Green
1997-98 Dan Boyle, Miami
1996-97 Andy Roach, Ferris State
1995-96 Keith Aldridge, Lake Superior
1994-95 Kelly Perrault, Bowling Green
1993-94 John Gruden, Ferris State
1992-93 Joe Cook, Miami
1991-92 Mark Astley, Lake Superior
1990-91 Jason Woolley, Michigan State
1989-90 Rob Blake, Bowling Green
Andy Greene also won... but wait all these guys are nobodies right?

Old
09-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

NWO, why are you calling prospects busts before they have even hit the ice. It always makes me chuckle when you have people stating opinion like fact.

Did you think michael leighton would lead us to the stanley cup finals?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:43 PM
jb**

Quote:
Finally NWO, your starting to see it straight. I finally got a reason on why you think 95% of our prospects will be just AHL players. Your basing everything WAYY to much off of the past. Way to much. Its more of a "Since it didnt happen before there is 0 chance it happens in the future". To you, it seems that, if their not 1st round pick, they will be nothing. You can critizie me and Shafner, but its true, we watch games. We dont base everything off of stats or what our inner feelings tell us (which seems to be your case). And yes there are other people here who watch him play. You know, the Flyers scouts (oh wait their wrong also), people who went to college with him (their also wrong), and anyone else who watched him play (wait...to you their wrong too)

Your getting it all wrong. I'm asking you why you think he will 100% not be a top 4 in the future. Your saying its already set in stone so why bother. I never said I think he can be a top 4 guy. He has the talent to do so, but if he ever reaches it is another story.

Oh and who won that award and became something? Heres a list:

Andy Greene also won... but wait all these guys are nobodies right?
Wrong on so many levels. Your theories have so many holes in them when it comes to you trying to analyze my thought process. I dont think 95% of the prospects suck because of the past. they suck becuase they are not nhl caliber talent. The past has nothing to do with it, though if your a stat guy it sure doesnt help their cause does it? Got news for you chief, i watch plenty. As far as the other people who watch him play, they have their opinion. It doesnt make them wrong. I dont agree with it and that also doesnt make me wrong chief. you asked why he wont be atop 4 andi told you, he isnt good enough. As i said with that list you provided, how many of those guys never did nothing at the nhl level? quite a few.

Old
09-28-2010, 04:43 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Jon Gruden played hockey?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
NWO, why are you calling prospects busts before they have even hit the ice. It always makes me chuckle when you have people stating opinion like fact.

Did you think michael leighton would lead us to the stanley cup finals?
who did i call a bust before they hit the ice? Leighton didnt lead the team ot the cup either. If you askd if i though they would get to a cup with Leightoni would say no. What does tha have to do with this conversation? Eevry squirrel finds a nut once ina while do they not?

Old
09-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
who did i call a bust before they hit the ice? Leighton didnt lead the team ot the cup either. If you askd if i though they would get to a cup with Leightoni would say no. What does tha have to do with this conversation? Eevry squirrel finds a nut once ina while do they not?
Out of all our prospects, are you not saying one of them is one of those "nuts"

you are even contradicting yourself

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:05 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Wrong on so many levels. Your theories have so many holes in them when it comes to you trying to analyze my thought process. I dont think 95% of the prospects suck because of the past. they suck becuase they are not nhl caliber talent. The past has nothing to do with it, though if your a stat guy it sure doesnt help their cause does it? Got news for you chief, i watch plenty. As far as the other people who watch him play, they have their opinion. It doesnt make them wrong. I dont agree with it and that also doesnt make me wrong chief. you asked why he wont be atop 4 andi told you, he isnt good enough. As i said with that list you provided, how many of those guys never did nothing at the nhl level? quite a few.
Heres some more guys:

Quote:
2009-10 Erik Gustafsson, Jr., Northern Michigan
2008-09 Erik Gustafsson, So., Northern Michigan
2007-08 Tyler Eckford, Jr., Alaska
2006-07 Jack Johnson, So., Michigan
2005-06 Andy Greene, Sr., Miami
2004-05 Andy Greene, Jr., Miami

Who won it twice make it to the NHL? All of them.

Your starting to change the subject. I asked why you thought so. You said he isnt good enough. I said what has he shown that he hasnt been good enough? And how does that correlate how his future shows? I guess you mean he isnt good enough by he will never get better? I know its your opinion, but when we all talk about our opinion you come in trolling us and saying how laughable it is (and dont say I put words in your mouth. Everyone knows what Im talking about)

Old
09-28-2010, 05:15 PM
jb**

Quote:
Heres some more guys:

Who won it twice make it to the NHL? All of them.

Your starting to change the subject. I asked why you thought so. You said he isnt good enough. I said what has he shown that he hasnt been good enough? And how does that correlate how his future shows? I guess you mean he isnt good enough by he will never get better? I know its your opinion, but when we all talk about our opinion you come in trolling us and saying how laughable it is (and dont say I put words in your mouth. Everyone knows what Im talking about)
My point was just because you won an award doesnt guarentee anything. so please sotp with the he won an award.

Not changing the subject at all. He isnt good enough. You have seen him play. To sit here today and say he has potential to replace kimmo is absurd imo and probably many others. Does it mean he cant get better? no. It sure as hell doesnt mean he has to get better. Thats the problem with many around here. Just because a guy is young or what not many assume he has to get better. That is a load of crap. He doesnt, that is the side of the coin many overlook. Let him play a season of pro hockey before the kimmo comparisions. Yeah i laugh when people compare him to Kimmo, when they compare the 2 "stud" goalie prospects too future nhl stars.

Old
09-28-2010, 05:16 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Out of all our prospects, are you not saying one of them is one of those "nuts"

you are even contradicting yourself
contradicting myself how?

Old