HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lappy out indefinitely with post-concussion syndrome

Old
09-28-2010, 04:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Kalinski was used as a winger on his first call up at least, I remember him being likened to a poor man's Upshall. I think he was used as a winger last year as well, at least for some of his games up with the Flyers.
Cant say I remebering him playing as a winger for the Flyers last year or before that. I remember we had a discussion midseason last year and most of us were wondering why Kalinski didnt get called up some games over some of the other guys.

I was bored and I went through 8 or 9 of the 10 games he played last season, and he played center in all of them. This was around the time span Betts was hurt for abit. He centered a line of Nodl and Laliberte. Mika Pyorala was our 3rd line center.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Wow. Awful news. Just got to read this as I've been working all day, but this is not what I'd hoped to come home to.

For his sake, I hope he gets the medical help he needs. He has been one of my favorite non-All-Star caliber players ever. But for what he does, he neither gets enough credit nor enough praise.

Get well soon Lappy. Take as long as you need, even if that means retirement.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I would just like to take this time to say

SCREW YOU! to the people who had the cheek to tell me i was wrong when I said Lappy should have called it quits after the puck to the eye. At least called it quit's untill this season.

The abuse i took for saying that he shouldn't risk the rest of his life for a shot at the cup. Where are your "doctors" now. They don't help when Lappy doesn't tell the truth. He was never going to be right after having the puck hit him.

It breaks my heart to be right too.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:18 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Cant say I remebering him playing as a winger for the Flyers last year or before that. I remember we had a discussion midseason last year and most of us were wondering why Kalinski didnt get called up some games over some of the other guys.

I was bored and I went through 8 or 9 of the 10 games he played last season, and he played center in all of them. This was around the time span Betts was hurt for abit. He centered a line of Nodl and Laliberte. Mika Pyorala was our 3rd line center.
Christ, what a disappointed that guy was! I remember most of us believed he would score 40+ points

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:33 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Hope that he'll be okay, the game always takes a back seat to stuff like this.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:46 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Sad news.

I can honestly say that I probably would've done the same thing as Lappy in this situation. Fifteen seasons without a sniff of the Cup and to get this close at the end of his career in his 16th season... may have been his only shot.

I wish him the best in his recovery; his leadership will certainly be missed.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Sad news.

I can honestly say that I probably would've done the same thing as Lappy in this situation. Fifteen seasons without a sniff of the Cup and to get this close at the end of his career in his 16th season... may have been his only shot.

I wish him the best in his recovery; his leadership will certainly be missed.
He has two kids. Nothing is worth the quality of life with your kids. If we had won the cup, he would of been classed as one of the major parts anyhow.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:04 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
He has two kids. Nothing is worth the quality of life with your kids. If we had won the cup, he would of been classed as one of the major parts anyhow.
I understand completely.

However, I also understand why he did what he did. The chance to win the one championship he dedicated his entire life to was right in front of him... for the first time in the twilight of his career. I'd be blinded by that goal, too.

I'm not saying it's right, but I know why he played through an injury he shouldn't have.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:37 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Love ya lappy.

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Christ, what a disappointed that guy was! I remember most of us believed he would score 40+ points
Did we really think that? Maybe hoping for that. The guy was run-of-the-mill even for Europe it seemed.

Kalinski obviously had his career derailed by the leg contusion he had. I think he would have stuck if he didn't get hurt.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:27 PM
mdm815

I hope if this is the end for him he gets the going out he deserves from our fanbase, however I don't know if that would happen considering he's not an all-star. But the guy battled. It barely took any time to fall in love with his play. I hope the best for him

mdm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:32 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm815 View Post
I hope if this is the end for him he gets the going out he deserves from our fanbase, however I don't know if that would happen considering he's not an all-star. But the guy battled. It barely took any time to fall in love with his play. I hope the best for him
This organization, when dealing with most players who gave their all, is one of the classiest in sports.

Lappy will be okay, in that respect.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:51 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Transcript of a conference call with Lappy (Timmy P. said it was pretty much what was said on csnphilly.com:

Quote:
Q: Looking back at the playoffs, was it wanting to play in a Final that led you to this, and do you regret it at all?

“I don’t regret it. It’s one of those things where the MRIs, everything was great, even the writing tests I did, everything was great, and I felt good. I went out there and I had headaches, but it’s a hockey game. You get bumped around and you get headaches. That doesn’t mean you have a concussion. I wanted to play, and I thought well, it’s probably from my neck, I had neck issues in the past. I always found excuses. Maybe it was from me wearing a shield now and putting some strain on my neck. I always looked for something to explain my symptoms. But they didn’t get any better in the summer, and it comes down to the real problem is probably coming from my head.”
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...script/2/30430

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:57 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Hopefully lappy is alright.

Looks like they will put lappy on LTIR and sign Guerin, ugh.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Unstable

Lappy, you fool!

I hope he manages a full recovery.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:52 PM
BernieParent

Yep, and I hope that the org has learned not to put too much stock in what Laperriere tells them. Ask him about symptoms, but test him objectively, too. Only, only let him back on the ice when his condition is good beyond the shadow of a doubt.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Flyerfan808

Tough to see a player like him go down like this. I hope his condition steadies over time and he can make it back to the club in time for another playoff run.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:57 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Yep, and I hope that the org has learned not to put too much stock in what Laperriere tells them. Ask him about symptoms, but test him objectively, too. Only, only let him back on the ice when his condition is good beyond the shadow of a doubt.
Bahahahaha.

You really think this organization is gonna do all that?

It's a sad, sad fact, but I really don't think that's gonna be the case. If Lappy says he's okay and wants to come back - even if he's not being totally honest - the Flyers' brass will toss him out there as soon as he passes the most minimal tests they can put him through and still claim due diligence.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:01 AM
mm6492

This makes me severely depressed....

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Spav1789

Wow...not good news at all...get well soon Lappy