HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Fantasy Hockey Q&A and Player Inquiries

Old
05-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
It's hard to say for certain, but I'd say it's more likely than not that he'll play in the NHL this coming year. He's motivated to come back to NA, and this will be the Hurricanes last year to get some value out of him, so they'll either sign him or trade him to another NHL team.
What makes you say this is the last year the Hurricanes can get any value for him? He's a defected player with a standing contract offer. He's a restricted free agent until he comes back to honor that final year or until he hits Group V status, 10 professional seasons played, at which point he can elect for unrestricted status. Babchuk, having played 8 seasons of 11 games or more of professional hockey, is still two away from being eligible. Hitting UFA age under defected status does not change your eligibility or the fact that you still have a binding contract offer you did not honor. I am not entirely sure how his time in the RML (Russian Major League - Tier 2) influences his status, but since it was played as a minor I think it may not count or else guys much younger would be applying for Group V status.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 08:55 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
It's hard to say for certain, but I'd say it's more likely than not that he'll play in the NHL this coming year. He's motivated to come back to NA, and this will be the Hurricanes last year to get some value out of him, so they'll either sign him or trade him to another NHL team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
What makes you say this is the last year the Hurricanes can get any value for him? He's a defected player with a standing contract offer. He's a restricted free agent until he comes back to honor that final year or until he hits Group V status, 10 professional seasons played, at which point he can elect for unrestricted status. Babchuk, having played 8 seasons of 11 games or more of professional hockey, is still two away from being eligible. Hitting UFA age under defected status does not change your eligibility or the fact that you still have a binding contract offer you did not honor. I am not entirely sure how his time in the RML (Russian Major League - Tier 2) influences his status, but since it was played as a minor I think it may not count or else guys much younger would be applying for Group V status.
Thanks for the responses guys! I took a flyer on him, it was a 28th round pick anyways.

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:47 PM
OSUlakers

Sutter

Hey Canes Fans -

I'm starting to do my fantasy hockey research for next year. I like to analyze a lot of statistical trends with players, analyze their talent, look at possible line mates, and make predictions based on that and some other factors, such as general chemistry, coaching, etc.

What do you guys expect out of Sutter next year as far as
Analysis of strengths and weaknesses
PP/PK usage
2nd/3rd line

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks

OSUlakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 807
Sutter

I'll answer ur Sutter question with my FIRST EVER POST!!! Nice to be here guys...

Sutter will most likely get around 40-50 points, with 60 being his ABSOLUTE ceiling for this year.

He'll be on the second line, with likely Tlusty and Cole starting on his wings (obviously a fluid situation though).

He's used a ton in penalty killing situations, and he'll probably get good PP PT this year as well.

As for his style of play, he's a solid, 2-way guy who plays a smart brand of hockey. He's improved his speed greatly over the last couple of seasons, and it's now one of his greatest assets. The main thing to like about him is that he never takes a shift off, and that he brings a good amount of energy.

There's my two cents, feel free to ask more specific questions for more specific answers...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Non-Canes Fantasy Question

I'm new here, I'm sorry if non-Canes questions are considered bad on a Canes thread, but it IS a fantasy thread, so...

5-player keeper league, Head-to-Head, indiv. category scoring
Categories: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPGs, SOG, Wins, GAA, Total Saves

What I'M thinking my keepers will be:

Alex Ovechkin
Pavel Datsyuk
Matt Duchene
Tyler Myers
Martin Brodeur

Other potential keepers:
Chris Pronger
James Neal
Thomas Vanek
Tomas Vokoun
Pekka Rinne

The main concern I have is taking Brodeur over one of the other two, younger goalies. Because it's a total saves league and not SV%, I think Brodeur's a better bet because of his lofty starts totals.

Also, Duchene over Neal and Vanek, and Myers over Pronger, are my other main concerns. Any ideas? Do I have it right?

If this is breaking any written or unwritten rules, I apoligize now, and I'll know for next time.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Rugs by Resch

Hey guys wondering if Rodney is penciled in to stick with the big club this year and if so how many points do you think he could get. Also couple non-fantasy questions what do you guys think about Dodge and Dwyer? What are your projections on them, they were my favorite guys in Albany and ill miss them . Doesnt hurt too much though cause I get to see the Baby Devils all the time now, thanks a lot for any info guys.

Rugs by Resch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:25 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
Rodney is probably going to be jetting (amtraking?) back and forth from Charlotte this season as our #8. He'll get a good bit of playing time but I'm not sure how much I expect from him this season.

As for Dodge and Dwyer, I think both have a shot at claiming roster spots depending on what roles are available. Currently there's at least 1 fourth line role and possibly 2. Dwyer at the worst will be the 13th forward, and Dodge IMO is the ideal 4th line forward for this team next season.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Rugs by Resch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Rodney is probably going to be jetting (amtraking?) back and forth from Charlotte this season as our #8. He'll get a good bit of playing time but I'm not sure how much I expect from him this season.

As for Dodge and Dwyer, I think both have a shot at claiming roster spots depending on what roles are available. Currently there's at least 1 fourth line role and possibly 2. Dwyer at the worst will be the 13th forward, and Dodge IMO is the ideal 4th line forward for this team next season.
Dang got excited by his 11 points in like 20 games. Well thanks for the quick reply, looking foward to beating up on you guys this year in return for the playoffs last year . Good luck mates

Rugs by Resch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:38 AM
The Fuhr

Could y'all help me out.

I'm looking for quotes from players, coaches and GM's that talk about how fast Staal skates.

In a FHL sim league based on NHL stats and ability. I want to get Staal from a 76SP to a 80SP

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:07 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Jamie McBain

How do you feel about McBain? Will he see a lot of ice time? What's his upside?

I'm in a keepers fantasy league and I have Pitkanen on my team and I figure his value is better than McBains right now right? But regardless, I am thinking about trading Pitkanen away for something, and than drafting McBain in the waiver draft. I see McBain had a nice 10 pts in 14 games last season. Is the team high on him?

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:27 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Everyone's pretty high on McBain right now. Assuming he picks up where he left off last spring, he's expected to get top-4 ice time and good PP time. The near-ppg pace will almost certainly fall off considering he's going to play a full season this time, but based on his skill set I expect decent numbers (30+ points is reasonable).

That said, Pitkanen's value is easily higher as he is still our #1 and doesn't face the same question marks as a rookie.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:48 AM
NYVanfan

Hi there -- curious, how permanent is this Jokinen-on-3rd-line business?
He was one of the steals for my fantasy draft, and he was PPG for the stretch run with Staal on the top line. Now he's on the checking line, and Patty O'Srcubbyvan (who I just dropped) is in his spot??? say it ain't so

cheers

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Pretty much nothing is permanent on this team. It's all up in the air, and I expect it to change frequently. It's not really a checking line, anyway. He's gonna be playing with some talent, most likely Jeff Skinner. We're really probably gonna have more of a 1, 2A, 2B, 4 line setup.

09-27-2010, 10:37 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Jamie McBain

Is he going to make the team? If he does, what kind of role he's going to have? Do you think his point production will be nice?

I want to know if I didn't f$"?%/& my pool.

Thank you for your answers.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

He is a dead lock to make the roster. His role is very much to be determined. We have a lot of guys that can play the powerplay on the blueline with Corvo, Babchuk, McBain, Pitkanen, and potentially Sanguinetti. We're likely going to see McBain start the year on the 3rd pairing and getting 2nd unit powerplay time, but if he plays anywhere near as well as he did last year then he'll quickly be in our Top 4.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

I hope he isn't paying much attention to all this "Calder watch" business...

I want him to simply play how he did last season and continue to excel at a natural pace that fits a young Dman.

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:09 AM
regard

Wow what a convenient thread! lol

Canes Fans,
I have Jerseys defensemen Greene on my Fantasy Team. Drafted him late thinking he'd get me assists and a decent +/-. I was looking into people who might be better in free agency and saw that while Pitkanen's +/- was 20 less(+9 to -11) he had 5 times the Penalty Minutes and twice as many shots.
Seems like a great tradeoff.
But I saw Pitkanen hasnt had alot of consistancy points-wise.

So what do you think are the chances he has as many assists as last year again? It seems like a no-brainer but i hadnt really thought about Pitkanen before and I wonder if Greene will be playing on NJ's point with Kolvuchuk.
Is Pitkanen likely to be on the top PP unit?(Seems unlikely with McBain, Corvo, Babchuk so will he at least be on the 2nd unit?)

Thanks ahead for any response!

Last edited by regard: 09-28-2010 at 09:27 AM.
regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Joni is in a contract year and will get 24 minutes a night minimum... I expect a huge offensive year from him

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:12 PM
regard

Thanks a bunch.
Any idea if he'll get much PP time?

Old
09-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Guy

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Thanks a bunch.
Any idea if he'll get much PP time?
he'll be on the point for the 2nd pair at a minimum, could see 1st pair duty with any injuries.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:51 PM
regard

Thanks for the help guys.

Old
09-28-2010, 07:19 PM
NYVanfan

in a fantasy draft, would you take him over these guys?

Bogosian
Russell
Gilbert
Stralman
Subban

cheers

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
in a fantasy draft, would you take him over these guys?

Bogosian
Russell
Gilbert
Stralman
Subban

cheers
I would take him over Russell and Gilbert, but probably behind the other three. Reason being, I think he scores a decent amount of goals even if less points than those two guys. Subban could be a coin flip, but I suspect good things are on the way for him.

Old
09-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I would take him over Russell and Gilbert, but probably behind the other three. Reason being, I think he scores a decent amount of goals even if less points than those two guys. Subban could be a coin flip, but I suspect good things are on the way for him.
Hmm, I'd throw him in there above Stralman as well, but personal preference I guess.

I agree, it's a coin toss with Subban...

Old
09-29-2010, 12:23 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Subban
McBain/Bogosian
Russell/Stralman/Gilbert

That's purely with fantasy hockey value/future value in mind, but it's not how I necessarily rank them in reality.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote