HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All Things MSG Network and TV (FiOS, Dish, HD, etc.)

Old
09-27-2010, 06:23 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
So you'll be switching to either Fios or Dish which also require you to have a box on every tv???......

I think Cablevision is doing what anyone else would do while in competition. Good for them. I know if I had a product that the competition didn't have I wouldn't let my competition have it either. It's like "Here ya go Fios, take msg hd and news12 along with a couple hundred thousand customers and good luck with your company...if you need anything else just ask" Makes no sense. If you want MSG HD bad enough switch. I'm a HUGE Ranger fan so I would get whoever had what I wanted. People are still stuck in the 50's, where they think TV should be given to them for free. Just my 2cents.
Post like this are still missing the point.

Most of us north of westchester dont even get Cablevision. We have 2 choices outside Dish. Time Warner or Fios. Time Warner is not owned by Cablevision, but since the cable companies have a back ally agreement to not tread on each others territories, Cablevision grants Time Warner the HD feed. That is a monopoly and not fair trade what so ever.

We arn not talking about McDonalds giving up trade secrets to the BigMac. We are talking about televised communications that are broad cast over public domain through a choice of providers.

And if Dolans greed was ever in question, the newest commercial where it is explained that Fox stations are provided to Cablevision FOR FREE and Cablevision charges each customer $17.00 for the broadcast of FOX channel but apparently FREE isnt good enough for ol'Jimmy Warbucks then I dont know what else could convince you.

This isnt about a conservative right to own and opperate a free enterprise system, It's about a greedy little so and so that is alienating his fanbase over semantics. Even Cablevision subscribers have posted in this thread that Cablevision is an inferior product but they are stuck with it if they want MSGHD. It's no different then a Slumloard that inludes heat&hot water in the rent but refuses to turn the heat up above 64 degrees or the hot water running longer then 10mins at a time.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:32 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
honestly i hate dolan, i hate cable, newsday sucks

it hurts me that this team is owned by them....ive been raised loving the rangers but boy do i wish they were sold....it truly hurts me that dolan is such a fat greedy *****
I just don't get it. I have a feeling most don't know too much about how cablevision started. Charles Dolan built that company from the ground up.

Charles Dolan created the FIRST urban cable television system in the country.
HE created HBO.
He then created Cablevision.
He created the first cable tv all local new tv channel.

How can you call this greedy, he's the american dream!

unless your talking about his son James, he's a freaking jackass who spends daddys money and embarresses the company.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

My question is, how long can this go on for? Are we going to be discussing this in 2015? Flat panels & High Definition broadcasts are going to become the norm around the country... The percentage of users is continually rising... If we're stuck watching SD feeds 2-4 years from now, it will be a joke...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:44 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post

Most of us north of westchester dont even get Cablevision. We have 2 choices outside Dish. Time Warner or Fios. Time Warner is not owned by Cablevision, but since the cable companies have a back ally agreement to not tread on each others territories, Cablevision grants Time Warner the HD feed. That is a monopoly and not fair trade what so ever.

We arn not talking about McDonalds giving up trade secrets to the BigMac. We are talking about televised communications that are broad cast over public domain through a choice of providers.

And if Dolans greed was ever in question, the newest commercial where it is explained that Fox stations are provided to Cablevision FOR FREE and Cablevision charges each customer $17.00 for the broadcast of FOX channel but apparently FREE isnt good enough for ol'Jimmy Warbucks then I dont know what else could convince you.

This isnt about a conservative right to own and opperate a free enterprise system, It's about a greedy little so and so that is alienating his fanbase over semantics. Even Cablevision subscribers have posted in this thread that Cablevision is an inferior product but they are stuck with it if they want MSGHD. It's no different then a Slumloard that inludes heat&hot water in the rent but refuses to turn the heat up above 64 degrees or the hot water running longer then 10mins at a time.
Okay, you seem to be arguing strictly on emotion so this isn't going to go well, but you really don't seem to understand the difference between cable television and public domain over the air broadcasts. Fox has to provide itself to service providers for numerous reasons, but most of all because when the government establlished the airwaves it gave these companies the right to use them and certain rules to follow.

What everyone doesn't seem to understand is that the infrastructure that brought wired cable tv access to you was all built by the cable companies. The areas were divided up because no one entity could afford to wire all these areas, it was an enourmous undertaking. Do any of you even remember what tv looked like when you had rabbit ears on your tv and antenae on your house???? How about dial up internet in the early 90's lol.....Cable changed all that, even for the "FREE over the air channels, those are the channels that you got with rabbit ears that looked like crap folks".
Its so easy to ignore all the work and infrastructure building of the cable companies the past 30 yrs, its just not right though.

Old
09-27-2010, 06:50 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Okay, you seem to be arguing strictly on emotion so this isn't going to go well, but you really don't seem to understand the difference between cable television and public domain over the air broadcasts. Fox has to provide itself to service providers for numerous reasons, but most of all because when the government establlished the airwaves it gave these companies the right to use them and certain rules to follow.

What everyone doesn't seem to understand is that the infrastructure that brought wired cable tv access to you was all built by the cable companies. The areas were divided up because no one entity could afford to wire all these areas, it was an enourmous undertaking. Do any of you even remember what tv looked like when you had rabbit ears on your tv and antenae on your house???? How about dial up internet in the early 90's lol.....Cable changed all that, even for the "FREE over the air channels, those are the channels that you got with rabbit ears that looked like crap folks".
Its so easy to ignore all the work and infrastructure building of the cable companies the past 30 yrs, its just not right though.
Thas all fine, whatever.

But I still havent heard one good reason as to why I cant have MSGHD when I am not in a Cablevision market.

Old
09-27-2010, 06:50 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
My question is, how long can this go on for? Are we going to be discussing this in 2015? Flat panels & High Definition broadcasts are going to become the norm around the country... The percentage of users is continually rising... If we're stuck watching SD feeds 2-4 years from now, it will be a joke...
I agree with this sentiment, and its one of the few arguements that makes me feel like cablevision should just give it up for the good of the viewers, but let me just say this-
Everyone keeps saying verizons picture is better, its network is faster...should verizon let cablevision use its fiber network??? I mean that would make it fair right? This way everyone could decide based on price, not quality, not exclusive content, etc...just a price war...

Old
09-27-2010, 06:51 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Thas all fine, whatever.

But I still havent heard one good reason as to why I cant have MSGHD when I am not in a Cablevision market.
If your not in the cablevision market, than i agree with you, you should have the HD feed.
What provider do you have that doesnt have the MSG HD feed out of market?

Old
09-27-2010, 06:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I agree with this sentiment, and its one of the few arguements that makes me feel like cablevision should just give it up for the good of the viewers, but let me just say this-
Everyone keeps saying verizons picture is better, its network is faster...should verizon let cablevision use its fiber network??? I mean that would make it fair right? This way everyone could decide based on price, not quality, not exclusive content, etc...just a price war...
I don't notice any difference in internet speed to be completely honest.

Old
09-27-2010, 06:54 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
I don't notice any difference in internet speed to be completely honest.
LOL, now I'm trying to figure out how everyon ehas got me to be the champion of cablevisions cause

Old
09-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
I'm going to answer you and Jonathan together in this one to save time.

1st, I do not work for Cablevision just to clear that up, I never have. I work for a University with no ties to Cablevision.

There is really no point in discussing it any further, I see now that people are arguing based on their opinions of the companies and they have nothing to do with the Law, Fair Competition or Regulation Rules.
I could give a crap less about cablevision as a company, you guys dont like cablevision so you are you points with verizon is better, and the like.
The truth is Cablevision has barely even batted an eye at verizon. Verizon has barely made a dent in their viewership. Their users claim better speed, better picture, better everything, but the fact is Cablevision must be doing something right or everyone would have switched by now (and dont give me MSGHD is keeping everyone from switching, its hockey and basketball guys).
If you don't see this as a local company (which it is) going up against a national one (which they are) I just can't even imagine where I'd need to start.

I respect you both too much to have it turn into a fight about two companies that i have no love for, i just think one is the lesser of two evils...
Cablevision keeps their customers with what are, essentially, bribes. They cut the price and offer freebies. A lot of people are too stupid or don't care enough about the picture and internet difference to warrant a switch when they can knock off $20 off the bill and get a free iPod. It's genius marketing and it's keeping their subscribers.

And Verizon doesn't just "claim" better internet speed. It's a fact. You don't believe it? Go and make a comparison yourself.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:21 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
If your not in the cablevision market, than i agree with you, you should have the HD feed.
What provider do you have that doesnt have the MSG HD feed out of market?
My choices are Time Warner and Fios.

I had Time Warner for years and got tired of the Roadrunner internet getting slower and slower every year that more people added onto the system and the time warner boxes were horrible to, the voice didnt match the lips, the HD isnt as vivid as Fios HD, the box would reboot 3-4x a day, the on demand would freeze up or not work at all frequently. Time Warner had the MSGHD feed but has a vastly infirior product and when I called to see if they would lower my bill as Fios was offering $99for the same as the $149 TW package, meanwhile giving $99 packages to new customers and ****** current subscribers, they politely thumbed their nose at me, offering a wopping $5 per/mo off provided I signed a 2 year contract with a early termination fee that didnt justify the $5 per month.

Old
09-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
My choices are Time Warner and Fios.

I had Time Warner for years and got tired of the Roadrunner internet getting slower and slower every year that more people added onto the system and the time warner boxes were horrible to, the voice didnt match the lips, the HD isnt as vivid as Fios HD, the box would reboot 3-4x a day, the on demand would freeze up or not work at all frequently. Time Warner had the MSGHD feed but has a vastly infirior product and when I called to see if they would lower my bill as Fios was offering $99for the same as the $149 TW package, meanwhile giving $99 packages to new customers and ****** current subscribers, they politely thumbed their nose at me, offering a wopping $5 per/mo off provided I signed a 2 year contract with a early termination fee that didnt justify the $5 per month.
Classic reason for a switch. They were probably pissed off at people bluffing to get a lower bill (which has been standard for ages since DirecTV and Dish were first out) and took the risk. ****** customer service.

Old
09-27-2010, 07:24 PM
biggs98

Quote:

I'm not missing anything, people like you are missing the point. Keep fighting the machine you might get somewhere.

biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:29 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
I'm not missing anything, people like you are missing the point. Keep fighting the machine you might get somewhere.
Ah, the old "bend over and take it like a man" reasoning.

Live free or die my friend. When you make it to heaven let me know how it was living in a world run by The New World Order and Jimmy Dolans world cable system.

Old
09-27-2010, 07:59 PM
biggs98

Quote:

Quote:
Ah, the old "bend over and take it like a man" reasoning.

Live free or die my friend. When you make it to heaven let me know how it was living in a world run by The New World Order and Jimmy Dolans world cable system.

Yup thats it. That was the response I predicted from someone like you. Way to go Robin Hood.

biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:42 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Yup thats it. That was the response I predicted from someone like you. Way to go Robin Hood.
13 posts since 2009?

Thank you for gracing us with your presance Mr Dolan. Can I get one of those Cablevision rub jar openers?

Old
09-27-2010, 08:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Mods: Please keep this thread open, need a place to vent and get updates on the situation.

Old
09-27-2010, 09:14 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Mods: Please keep this thread open, need a place to vent and get updates on the situation.
Sorry Wolfy

Your right, for the sake of getting the thread locked, I'm done bickering.

Old
09-27-2010, 09:33 PM
mugs

Quote:
Thats all fine and good, I definately see you point, but my argument is more customers equal more revenue. How can cablevision spend on advertising, research and development, infrastructure, etc.. what a company that sells nationwide can? They cant, and thats whats destroying this country, its the same reason the mom and pop can compete with walmart. one thing a mom and pop can do to compete with walmart though is sell exclusive items, this for some reason is no longer allowed in cable tv though.
The difference between a mom and pop store selling an exclusive item and Cablevision keeping MSG HD from their competition is that there is no equivalent replacement for MSG HD, whereas there are equivalent replacements that would serve the same purpose as whatever exclusive product a mom and pop store might have.

The replacement products, though not exactly the same as what you could get at the mom and pop shop, would allow the price of the mom and pop shop's product to be determined by the market. If they try to charge too much, people will just by a replacement product.

The same can't be said for MSG HD. MSG HD has no competition, so they set their price at an unreasonably high level.

mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:15 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugs View Post
The difference between a mom and pop store selling an exclusive item and Cablevision keeping MSG HD from their competition is that there is no equivalent replacement for MSG HD, whereas there are equivalent replacements that would serve the same purpose as whatever exclusive product a mom and pop store might have.

The replacement products, though not exactly the same as what you could get at the mom and pop shop, would allow the price of the mom and pop shop's product to be determined by the market. If they try to charge too much, people will just by a replacement product.

The same can't be said for MSG HD. MSG HD has no competition, so they set their price at an unreasonably high level.
but wouldn't the replacement product in this scenario be MSG in standard def? Yes, its not the exact product you wanted, but it is the product none the less. Your not going to miss any games, just games in HD. I'm not in love with what cablevision is doing, but I understand why their doing it.

Let me be clear, I know this isn't the ideal situation, but the FCC set the rules up to allow this for a reason. This was an intentional tool for local cable providers. Now everyones screaming like they are criminals because the FCC changed the rule a few months ago. How do you justify changing the rule now though? What if cablevision never would have bought MSG if it wouldn't have the exclusive broadcast rights? It's such a can of worms.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
but wouldn't the replacement product in this scenario be MSG in standard def? Yes, its not the exact product you wanted, but it is the product none the less. Your not going to miss any games, just games in HD. I'm not in love with what cablevision is doing, but I understand why their doing it.

Let me be clear, I know this isn't the ideal situation, but the FCC set the rules up to allow this for a reason. This was an intentional tool for local cable providers. Now everyones screaming like they are criminals because the FCC changed the rule a few months ago. How do you justify changing the rule now though? What if cablevision never would have bought MSG if it wouldn't have the exclusive broadcast rights? It's such a can of worms.
Because Cablevision held a monopoly on the channel. Pure and simple. It created an unfair environment. What else is needed to be said?

Old
09-28-2010, 07:33 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
You just said yourself that Dolan implies that DirectTV is withholding NFL Sunday ticket....so how is this incorrect information? The fact is, Dolan is after NFL Sunday Ticket, he will use any means to try and get his hands on it. I didn't say his implications that what DirectTV and the NFL have worked out is wrong, I was just explaining why he may be using it as leverage.

To further the arguement that Cablevision may make though,-
Can you tell me why the NFL would not sell the rights to NFL Sunday Ticket to all carriers? Surely they would make more money than by just selling to DirectTV alone.
The amount of money DirectTV pays is insane. Trust me, if the NFL thought they could make more money by not taking DirectTV's money to be the exclusive provider, they would offer it to every service.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:16 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
The amount of money DirectTV pays is insane. Trust me, if the NFL thought they could make more money by not taking DirectTV's money to be the exclusive provider, they would offer it to every service.
Oh, believe me, I believe DirectTV is paying a RANSOM to have NFL Sunday ticket, but thats part of my point, obviously a service with 18+ million subscribers can bid more for the package than a service with 3 million. For anyone that wants to argue fair competition when it comes to msghd, but turn a blind eye to something like this, surely is only concerned with themselves, not fair competition.

And to take it a step further, if DirectTV is paying a premium to be the exclusive carrier, against companies that don't have thier revenue, it just further supports my point.

Old
09-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Gemma

Quote:
Oh, believe me, I believe DirectTV is paying a RANSOM to have NFL Sunday ticket, but thats part of my point, obviously a service with 18+ million subscribers can bid more for the package than a service with 3 million. For anyone that wants to argue fair competition when it comes to msghd, but turn a blind eye to something like this, surely is only concerned with themselves, not fair competition.

And to take it a step further, if DirectTV is paying a premium to be the exclusive carrier, against companies that don't have thier revenue, it just further supports my point.

Stop making so much sense!!

Gemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:37 PM
TrueBlueJoe89

I can't get Fios on my street here in NJ. Its either Cablevision or Direct TV. I think I will stick with Cablevision as I get the most bang for my buck by far.

TrueBlueJoe89 is offline   Reply With Quote