HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-28-2010, 07:38 PM
  #1
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In The Lab.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,404
vCash: 500
Benoit Pouliot

2006-07 Minnesota Wild NHL 3 0 0 0

2007-08 Minnesota Wild NHL 11 2 1 3

2008-09 Minnesota Wild NHL 37 5 6 11

2009-10 Minnesota Wild NHL 14 2 2 4

2009-10 Montreal Canadiens NHL 39 15 9 24



He's only played 104 games over 4 seasons. He's 23 years old.

NHL Totals 104 24 18 42



I understand the concern, everyone expects big things from him, and big things right away, but let's face it- he's going to need time to develop. He can't just jump into the league and perform. Everyone questioning what the Canadiens are going to do with him need to take a step back and give the kid a chance. Martin has only begun working with him.

I saw him have numerous chances throughout the pre-season to score. Once he starts putting in a couple of those chances, hopefully everyone will give it a rest. The Higgins comparisons need to stop. Let the kid play and learn.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:42 PM
  #2
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
prospect


I hope he will be decent (and not being so lazy) this year. (okay, maybe it might depend with who he will play this year...)


Last edited by Fel 96: 09-28-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:44 PM
  #3
habspinner
Registered User
 
habspinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
prospect


I hope he will rebounce this year.
He's older, but as the games played shows, he's still in the prospect range.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:47 PM
  #4
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
He's older, but as the games played shows, he's still in the prospect range.
And he's two weeks younger than David Desharnais.

This is the Ramo/Desjardins fallacy all over. Somehow making the NHL young means someone has no potential, despite the fact that they're younger than the "prospect" in question.

Not meaning to compare the two, but half this board rants about the potential Desharnais has, all the while *****ing about Pouliot. Likely the same people who hated the Ramo/Desjardins trade, because Desjardins (who is older) somehow has more potential.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:57 PM
  #5
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In The Lab.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
prospect


I hope he will be decent (and not being so lazy) this year. (okay, maybe it might depend with who he will play this year...)
I don't think he's lazy at all actually- the way he glides on the ice does make it seem effortless though. Adding 12 pounds to your frame in one summer by being lazy would be quite the accomplishment.

And yes, in my books, he is still a prospect.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:04 PM
  #6
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,106
vCash: 500
He still took shifts off in the preseason. Don't know what player to expect everytime he steps on the ice. Very frustrating when he doesn't finish his checks, especially considering his size.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:10 PM
  #7
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,339
vCash: 500
Pouliot clearly has skills. I've seen him make some nice shots, nice deflection passes and nice crisp passes altogether. His speed is good, his agility is fine as well. The compete level is there as well(more often than not). The negatives? This guy's balance isn't great. Very lanky. He needs to be able to go into the boards and come out with the puck, unfortunately, when he goes into the corner, he gets flipped out of the zone before the puck does. If he's stronger on his skates, and wins some puck battles he'd be a waaayyyy better player. I wouldn't object to having a 3rd line with him, eller and lapierre:

Andrei-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Boyd-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Lapierre
Moen-Halpern-Pyatt
Darche

Boyd and Pouliot would be interchangable obviously.

Long story short, he's got talent and he's got some drive, he just needs to learn the small things to be successful.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:27 PM
  #8
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
2006-07 Minnesota Wild NHL 3 0 0 0

2007-08 Minnesota Wild NHL 11 2 1 3

2008-09 Minnesota Wild NHL 37 5 6 11

2009-10 Minnesota Wild NHL 14 2 2 4

2009-10 Montreal Canadiens NHL 39 15 9 24



He's only played 104 games over 4 seasons. He's 23 years old.

NHL Totals 104 24 18 42



I understand the concern, everyone expects big things from him, and big things right away, but let's face it- he's going to need time to develop. He can't just jump into the league and perform. Everyone questioning what the Canadiens are going to do with him need to take a step back and give the kid a chance. Martin has only begun working with him.

I saw him have numerous chances throughout the pre-season to score. Once he starts putting in a couple of those chances, hopefully everyone will give it a rest. The Higgins comparisons need to stop. Let the kid play and learn.
To be honest most of the people here probably aren't worthy of this compelling argument and will likely try to make a mockery out of it. Then when he scores 40 goals (he has the hands, he's possibly lacking the confidence) they're all going to be praising the guy and bowing down.

But he isn't a Martin guy


Last edited by neofury*: 09-28-2010 at 08:34 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:30 PM
  #9
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
And he's two weeks younger than David Desharnais.

This is the Ramo/Desjardins fallacy all over. Somehow making the NHL young means someone has no potential, despite the fact that they're younger than the "prospect" in question.

Not meaning to compare the two, but half this board rants about the potential Desharnais has, all the while *****ing about Pouliot. Likely the same people who hated the Ramo/Desjardins trade, because Desjardins (who is older) somehow has more potential.
Another solid point that should even possibly be added to the OP just because it's another compelling statement and I agree it isn't fair that a guy like Desharnais gets all this praise for effort and potential but people are too blind to see Pouliots because... what he's played more NHL games?

Let's get some facts straight here people. Just because one player is developed properly and is showing potential where as another is brought up quick and struggles, doesn't mean all of the sudden one has more potential than the other or a higher ceiling. (for some kids this is the proper way but not for everyone and in Pouliot's case maybe time in the AHL would've helped)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:36 PM
  #10
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,339
vCash: 500
lulz, I almost forgot he was even on this team. Honestly, its amazing how someone with such good size and skill, can be just forgotten about. Its like he catches a severe case of 'Kostitsynitis' every few weeks.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:51 PM
  #11
habspinner
Registered User
 
habspinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Another solid point that should even possibly be added to the OP just because it's another compelling statement and I agree it isn't fair that a guy like Desharnais gets all this praise for effort and potential but people are too blind to see Pouliots because... what he's played more NHL games?

Let's get some facts straight here people. Just because one player is developed properly and is showing potential where as another is brought up quick and struggles, doesn't mean all of the sudden one has more potential than the other or a higher ceiling. (for some kids this is the proper way but not for everyone and in Pouliot's case maybe time in the AHL would've helped)

Not that I'm arguing your point, but Pouliot has had quite a bit of time in the AHL. He'll be fine, just give him some time to get back in the swing of things (I'm on optimist)

That being said, Eller looked bizarrely good last night. I still can't figure out if it's just because he was playing with our two best players, but he always seems to be where the puck is. Pouliot was playing a very similar game when he started with the Habs last November. The puck looked like it was on a string for him.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.