HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Laptop Is Best?

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2010, 09:41 PM
alexstream

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
MODS, if you can leave this open on the main board just for a few hours that would be great, then move it if you'd like!

So I'm considering getting my self a laptop in the next few days. I kinda want it to be from Futureshop since I got a 100 dollar gift card, kinda will make paying easier. Basically I'm looking for a budget laptop at the max price of 800 (with taxes)

I don't do PC gaming. It would mostly be for some internet, videos, graphic/web design.

For processors, I'm looking at the i3 specifically (i5/i7 is just a waste of money for the usage I do) but if there are other processors that are still powerful enough, than please suggest the laptop.

Screen size doesn't really matter, but not really looking at the 17 inches.. to heavy to carry around at school.

So I've got some few options that I'm looking for and here they are.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...d9ac20e797en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...45f31c5ab7en02

Those are the two that seem to have catched my eye the most. What does everyone else think? What should I buy.. opinions or suggestions?
acer is like a toilet. full of crap.

Old
09-28-2010, 09:43 PM
coolasprICE

MSI 15.6" Intel Core-I 5 430M Laptop (A6200-216CA) - Select Stores Only

$629

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...1301aa1bd5en02

MSI 15.6" Intel Core i3-330M Laptop (A6200-215CA) - Select Stores Only

$529

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...4845f9fc1den02

Old
09-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
You just stated you already had a nice desktop and just needed something for mobility and to do the things you stated in your OP. The computer I said, does all those things. So obviously you need the computer to do something else or you're just wasting your hard earned money.
Basically, I want what my desktop can do, but on mobility, plus better specs. More or less, I do want the laptop to be better than the desktop, because it's likely that I will end up using it a lot more than I do the desktop.

Anyway, I'm going to take into consideration since it's e-machines, I've had e-machines before and they never let me down. Plus for the price it's pretty good. I trust you to say it's reliable.

Old
09-28-2010, 09:47 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Basically, I want what my desktop can do, but on mobility, plus better specs. More or less, I do want the laptop to be better than the desktop, because it's likely that I will end up using it a lot more than I do the desktop.
What else do you want to do with the laptop? You have to give us more information or we can't really help you. Everything you said, the laptop I reccommended would run perfectly. So there has to be something else you need it to do, since there really isn't any use of having better specs just for the sake of it.

Most laptops that are $200 or so more, aren't any better as far as specs go. They just have more of a "name" maker. Hell, I've seen worse laptops than this for $600 before.

Any laptop you get under $1000 isn't going to run very many good games at a high level, if thats what your thinking.

Old
09-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Gary320

Quote:
What else do you want to do with the laptop? You have to give us more information or we can't really help you. Everything you said, the laptop I reccommended would run perfectly. So there has to be something else you need it to do, since there really isn't any use of having better specs just for the sake of it.

Most laptops that are $200 or so more, aren't any better as far as specs go. They just have more of a "name" maker. Hell, I've seen worse laptops than this for $600 before.

Any laptop you get under $1000 isn't going to run very many good games at a high level, if thats what your thinking.

Besides what I mentioned, I'm thinking of something that will be able to run Adobe Premiere smoothly. Same time, something that will still be powerful enough come some time.

Gaming as I said, is not an issue since well.. I never liked PC gaming, besides the NHL series before I got the 360.

For the price, the e-machine laptop is kick ass.

Old
09-28-2010, 09:55 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834220763

Asus U50 15.6"
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i3 330M(2.16GHz)
4GB DDR3
500GB HDD

all that for 535$ + tax (15$shipping)

Newegg has great customer service (bought many pc parts, my 2 asus, cell phone etc from them already), so don't worry about it. It's prolly 1 of the best deal in your price range to. Owned 2 Asus laptops and always were reliable and performant. If your budget would allow you to get a 13'' macbook pro (they are just so much more well done than all other laptops imo right now), but they start at like 1100 or so + taxe.

Besides that, if you wanna get something from Futureshop absolutly, well I could suggest you brands. Anything well rated from Toshiba, Sony, Asus or Lenovo I would tell you to go for it. Avoid HP, Dell and especially MSI and Acer.

Old
09-28-2010, 09:58 PM
TheAntiPrice

I'd suggest to stay the **** away from HP, their customer service is putrid, you can't even simply talk to them without paying a fee after a certain period of time.

Old
09-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSquid View Post
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834220763

Asus U50 15.6"
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i3 330M(2.16GHz)
4GB DDR3
500GB HDD

all that for 535$ + tax (15$shipping)

Newegg has great customer service (bought many pc parts, my 2 asus, cell phone etc from them already), so don't worry about it. It's prolly 1 of the best deal in your price range to. Owned 2 Asus laptops and always were reliable and performant. If your budget would allow you to get a 13'' macbook pro (they are just so much more well done than all other laptops imo right now), but they start at like 1100 or so + taxe.

Besides that, if you wanna get something from Futureshop absolutly, well I could suggest you brands. Anything well rated from Toshiba, Sony, Asus or Lenovo I would tell you to go for it. Avoid HP, Dell and especially MSI and Acer.
I've never owned an Asus, but seems as if the Asus is loved by everyone on the net (including those here)

What's so great about it? That others don't have?

Also, yeah I'm avoiding HP completely and Acer now.. since it seems like it's not a reliable desktop.

Old
09-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Viggo Mortensen

I own a Toshiba Satellite and it works fine. They are affordable (Wal-Mart) and I didnt have any problem since I bought it, so in a year.

Old
09-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Pascal

My only advice is to stay away from anything made by HP or Acer. Both make cheap products that will likely die within a year of use. Speaking with experience here (3x times). Also their service sucks.

Old
09-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
My only advice is to stay away from anything made by HP or Acer. Both make cheap products that will likely die within a year of use. Speaking with experience here (3x times). Also their service sucks.
I was very close on jumping on the acer laptop you saw listed in the original post.. I'm kinda glad I didn't after hearing that most of you don't like Acer.

Leaning towards Asus (but looking for something I like) or the Toshiba lsited in the original post.

Old
09-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Gary320:

I'm going to leave this open until 12 midnight EST. Next time if you have a similar question, if you could post it in the Lounge thread, or on the Geek Emporium it would be appreciated.

Here's the link:

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php...prune=-1&f=151

Old
09-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Gary320:

I'm going to leave this open until 12 midnight EST. Next time if you have a similar question, if you could post it in the Lounge thread, or on the Geek Emporium it would be appreciated.

Here's the link:

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php...prune=-1&f=151
Thanks! Greatly appreciated. I didn't even know the Geek Emporium thread existed, I would have used that to begin with.

Old
09-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks! Greatly appreciated. I didn't even know the Geek Emporium thread existed, I would have used that to begin with.
You're not the only one. I didn't know it existed until I became a mod.

Old
09-28-2010, 10:12 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
I was very close on jumping on the acer laptop you saw listed in the original post.. I'm kinda glad I didn't after hearing that most of you don't like Acer.

Leaning towards Asus (but looking for something I like) or the Toshiba lsited in the original post.
I've had two Acer (acer = e-machines) laptops and haven't had a problem. 10000000x better than Compaq or Dell, IMO. Toshiba is good, as is Asus. Never tried Sony, HP, or Mac.

I don't know if E-Machines is a different company than Acer and just owned by them or what, but E-Machines seem like a much better build than the Acer labelled laptops.

Their customer service is terrible. Not so much that they are rude or mean, but just that the people working for them actually seem stupid. They try to help, but usually you know more than they do. I'm not sure if they are good with warranties and stuff.

If I had to rank, I'd go;

1. Asus
2. E-Machines
3. Toshiba
4. Acer

5. Dell
6. Compaq

Old
09-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Gary320

Quote:
I've had two Acer (acer = e-machines) laptops and haven't had a problem. 10000000x better than Compaq or Dell, IMO. Toshiba is good, as is Asus. Never tried Sony, HP, or Mac.

I don't know if E-Machines is a different company than Acer and just owned by them or what, but E-Machines seem like a much better build than the Acer labelled laptops.

Their customer service is terrible. Not so much that they are rude or mean, but just that the people working for them actually seem stupid. They try to help, but usually you know more than they do. I'm not sure if they are good with warranties and stuff.

If I had to rank, I'd go;

1. Asus
2. E-Machines
3. Toshiba
4. Acer

5. Dell
6. Compaq
I think the last two ranks are pretty good. The family owns a Dell, and I can't count how many problems we have with it. I thought Compaq died before I started doing research on laptops.

Old
09-28-2010, 10:17 PM
canadiens1992

I personally like Sony... My laptop is like the best thing I ever bought (1000$). Its been close to a year and it never crashed...
Only con maybe is all the crap Sony preloads their laptops with.

whatever, I bought mine at micro-boutique
but since you need it at 800$ or less.... heres one
The EB11
http://www.microboutique.ca/portablepc.php
and their promotion now is that they will give you PC DIGITAL CREATIVITY SUITE (I dont know if its any good , but I know its about graphic designing:p)
Might be useful at 699$
and heres a mini page for specs:
http://www.bloggerisme.com/sony-vaio...and-price.html

Old
09-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Smoke Monster

I have a toshiba t230 ($649) I'm happy with. I use it mainly for taking notes at school and internet browsing. It has a long battery charge - around 6 hours on battery saving mode. It runs very cool, it's lightweight, has a very nice screen and a very comfortable keyboard if you plan to do a lot of typing. The dual core intel processor is deceivingly powerful and easily multitasks. But it has an intergrated video card which can't run games. At concordia computer store it comes with a 3 year warranty. They have another version of this model with an amd processor that runs a bit hotter and has less battery life, but it has a dedicated video card which I think would be able to run games.

http://ccs.concordia.ca/hardware.notebooks.html

Old
09-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
You're not the only one. I didn't know it existed until I became a mod.
It's probably because it had been relegated to page 2 of HFBoards. People should visit more often. We have a really good bunch of people there. For example console and smartphone platforms fanboys are relatively respectful to one another with no mod interference whatsoever. Which is a pleasant surprise considering the internet of today.

From computers (laptops, hardware [I actually made the original Build your own PC thread] but it was a bit of a hassle to keep updating it but other have taken up the cause])

To smartphones (We have a Blackberry, Android and iPhone thread) surprisingly our iPhone thread has a mighty hard time staying on page 1 for some odd reason... you'd think with all the people using iPhones that we would have good discussion going about it. We've actually built up a pretty large base of Android users on HF (considering it's a hockey forum and all).

If it's something techie or geeky we cover it there.

Old
09-28-2010, 11:18 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
I think the last two ranks are pretty good. The family owns a Dell, and I can't count how many problems we have with it. I thought Compaq died before I started doing research on laptops.
Nah, compaqs are still alive. They'll set you back $400-$500.

Closed Thread