HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings and some team, 8-3 Final.

Old
09-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Fangio

vCash: 500
-2nd line was excellent tonight. Fun to see Schenn in an offensive role. A couple of odd man rushes, nice work down low, they all seem to compliment each other pretty well. It's a good mix of everything. Everyone knows Richardson over Parse...

-Special teams will win us games. Good movement out there.

-Andrei Loktionov didn't play too much EV (09:26), but made the most of his opportunities on the powerplay(PP 05:10). You hear that term ACTIVE STICK, Loktionov is demonstrating that so far.

-Davis Drewiske had a shaky start but settled down as the game progressed. Hickey and Muzzin had better games overall, with Muzzin having a slight edge, in my opinion.

-Game wouldn't be complete without a couple of questionable goals let in by Quick!

-Clifford with solid work tonight. What a great sequence his goal was.

-Can the kids contribute to this hockey club? Absolutely. They're making it hard on management..

Face off leaders:

Brayden Schenn - 5/11 45%

Michal Handzus - 9/21 43%

Anze Kopitar - 6/17 35%

Andrei Loktionov - 1/8 13%

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Bernier > Quick. 2 soft goals to end the third???!?!? This guy is my whipping boy for the rest of the year.
two meaningless goals at the end of an 8-1 exhibition game and he's a whipping boy?

The ability of people here to focus on the negative in the face of immense positives never ceases to amaze me.

Quattro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:29 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I doubt whether Schenn stays or not will be Murray's decision.
I agree to an extent but I'd just hate to see Schenn toil as an extra or getting 5 minutes a night on the 4th line.

09-29-2010, 12:30 AM
onlyalad

5 Kings were a -1 tonight. JJ with 2 goals was a 0

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Just got home from work....looks like I missed all the fun. How'd westgarth do against parros?

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:34 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
I don't see anyway he gets sent down until Greene gets back. Neither Hickey or Muzzin have earned a spot yet so I can't see us keeping both of them and sending Drewiske down. Keep Drewiske and one of the two, and they battle out for the spot while Greene is on the IR. Greene comes back, loser goes down or sits in the box.
I agree. I think Muzzin has the inside edge right now because we know Murray likes Harrold and isn't afraid to use him as a d-man so if he thinks he needs a guy with some more puck moving ability back there he'll just plug in Harrold. Neither Muzzin or Hickey has been impressive enough to justify keeping them both. They've both showed flashes though.

Granted, if Whiskey decides to keep handling the puck in the preseason like he's Johnson/Doughty and turning it over, he's going to find himself in the press box again.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:35 AM
redcard

I see no problem with Quick's play either, he didn't face a single shot in the third period until the last 4 minutes of an 8-1 game. The guy was probably bored to death.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:35 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
5 Kings were a -1 tonight. JJ with 2 goals was a 0
He was out there for both Quick's softies. He had just come on the ice for the 1st one too. Poor guy. He always gets shafted on Quick's weak goals.

Old
09-29-2010, 12:39 AM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Just got home from work....looks like I missed all the fun. How'd westgarth do against parros?
Meh, neither of them really landed any good ones, but wasn't necessarily a hug fest either. At this point a Parros-Westgarth bout just seems like a guaranteed sub-plot to any Kings-Ducks games and both the guys realize it. Fellow Ivy leaguers, danced a few times before, neither really fought with any emotion they just fought like they both knew that this was why they were on the ice together and they respect each others roles. They'll have better and more meaningful fights in the future, this one just seemed like a formality with neither really trying to get hurt or hurt the other.

Old
09-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
two meaningless goals at the end of an 8-1 exhibition game and he's a whipping boy?

The ability of people here to focus on the negative in the face of immense positives never ceases to amaze me.
You need to play 60 minutes of hockey. Schenn didn't phone it in on his fight with Sbisa did he? Quick needs to be held accountable especially when Bernier is nipping at his heels.

Mr Irreverent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:41 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
I think the Ducks defenseman needed more Gatorade...

But seriously, how excited were you when Simmonds and Clifford made love after that goal???

Quick observations:

Loktionov > Schenn. He's just better because he's smarter and his puck handling is superb. Schenn needs to stay on his skates and maybe add some more strength. Great fight over Sbisa**** though.

Muzzin > Hickey > Drewiske. Muzzin was also paired with JMFJ who had a really good game. Johnson OWNS the Ducks. Hickey was ok, Drewiske looked like an AHLer tonight. Muzzin looked pretty good IMO.

Bernier > Quick. 2 soft goals to end the third???!?!? This guy is my whipping boy for the rest of the year.

Poni > Frolov. Big body, decent skater kept it simple on the 3rd line. I like him because he has no drama, but I also will be rooting for Frolov.

Richards & Williams were awesome together.

Clifford & Simmonds could be the greatest thing since boobs.

Not a chance in hell Muzzin is better then Hickey "now". I love Muzzin and I know hes going to be a star for us. But he needs to play a year in the AHL. Hickey is an NHL ready d-man. And I am sure that Hickey will be on the roster opening night. Muzzin will go down to Manchester and play all areas. PP. PK ect.. and then will push for a spot.

Lokionov is more polished then Schenn which is a little dissapointing. Schenn is just not ready to be in the NHL. Lokionov is really smart player. I am just not sure that he can play on the 4th line with other teams phyical lines or energy lines. Should be interesting.

Out of all the guys we had out their that may be able to make the team the only one I am sure will be on the roster is Hickey. I have been dreading this pick since I herd "with the 4th overall pick the Kings select Thomas Hickey" but its starting to look like the pick is going to be okay. He is playing like Doughty did last year. Making all the right plays, smart plays but doesn't have the confidence to go out and blast a few out their.

Just read the other posts. I have no idea how people didn't see the things Hickey was doing tonight. Calm as a cucumber great skater only made 2 mistakes.

I wish we could play Loki on a Wing with Kopitar man that would be sick.

Last edited by riseandfall9: 09-29-2010 at 12:47 AM.
riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:43 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
I see no problem with Quick's play either, he didn't face a single shot in the third period until the last 4 minutes of an 8-1 game. The guy was probably bored to death.
I thought of that as well. It's worrisome though in my mind because it's a trend now. Throughout most of last year but especially after the Olympic break and now it's happened in both his preseason games. The Sexton (2nd goal) was the disturbing one to me though. Same type of weak goal he gave up in his first preseason game and quite a bit last year (slap shot from behind the dot coming down the wing). He's just not getting square on those and is off line and trying to react instead of letting the puck hit him. It's not like these guys are roofing them under the bar either. The 3rd goal was weak too but I'm more okay with that one because it came from over-aggressiveness.

He was playing great until those two goals though, especially in the 2nd period. Following the puck well, holding on to the rebounds when he was able to get square to the shot, etc. Still too early to panic but it's definitely something they need to focus on.

Old
09-29-2010, 12:46 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Tonight's game definitely made things harder for management and the coaching staff

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:47 AM
redcard

Quote:
You need to play 60 minutes of hockey. Schenn didn't phone it in on his fight with Sbisa did he? Quick needs to be held accountable especially when Bernier is nipping at his heels.
Yes and no. I'm by no means happy with Quick giving up the goals, but really at that point in the game I don't care what Quick does. Giving up goals after not even touching the puck for 30 minutes in a blowout isn't reason to be concerned. On the other side of the coin, Quick only giving up 1 goal in 40 minutes doesn't give him brownie points over Bernier for the same reason. It's a blowout, and the score is more reflective of the ducks poor play than Quick keeping the Kings ahead.

Schenn's situation is different, he saw an opportunity to show the coaching staff that he can bring even more to the table than what he was drafted for. To me, that was a brilliant move by Schenn to show that if at the end of preseason Murray and Lombardi are debating between sending Schenn down or playing him on the 4th line, Schenn can handle a 4th line physical roll and can play tough just like Clifford or Clune can.

Old
09-29-2010, 12:47 AM
santiclaws

Tough, tough calls on Muzzin/Hickey and Schenn/Loktionov. Muzzin or Hickey will likely be decided by what the team it feels it needs more of - defensive presence or offensive skill. I'm guessing Hickey will stay.

Schenn/Loktionov is complicated by the fact that if they decide to send down Schenn, he's going to have to go to Jr., which will not be doing much for his development at this point. They may end up keeping neither and keeping Clifford instead.

The last cuts are supposed to be made tonight, so I guess we'll know the answers soon.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

It sucks that sending Schenn down means he goes to Juniors.

It would be a no-brainer sending him to the AHL, if he was only allowed to go there.

He has little to gain from going back to the WHL but appears not quite ready for the Kings either. No man's land for Schenn right now.

Loktionov is just so good, he needs to be a King ASAP.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:50 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Yes and no. I'm by no means happy with Quick giving up the goals, but really at that point in the game I don't care what Quick does. Giving up goals after not even touching the puck for 30 minutes in a blowout isn't reason to be concerned. On the other side of the coin, Quick only giving up 1 goal in 40 minutes doesn't give him brownie points over Bernier for the same reason. It's a blowout, and the score is more reflective of the ducks poor play than Quick keeping the Kings ahead.

Schenn's situation is different, he saw an opportunity to show the coaching staff that he can bring even more to the table than what he was drafted for. To me, that was a brilliant move by Schenn to show that if at the end of preseason Murray and Lombardi are debating between sending Schenn down or playing him on the 4th line, Schenn can handle a 4th line physical roll and can play tough just like Clifford or Clune can.
I agree with this. But this is the thing. Playing Schenn or Clifford on the 4th line just seems counter productive at this point. Playing anywhere from 7 to 14 mins a night is just not that good. When they can be playing 20 mins somewhere else.

Schenn is not a very good skater. He knows where to stand on the ice thats for sure he goes to all the Dangerous offensive places.

Old
09-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Hammond:
Schenn
(on his fight with Luca Sbisa…)
SCHENN: “I fought him when I was 16, in the playoffs, actually. He made a hit on Scott Glennie and I fought him. He actually asked me (to fight) after we scored two goals, off the faceoff. I said, `I’ll see you in the third period.’ So he asked me again with about three minutes left, and I got pulled off. Then I got back out there and he asked me again, so I thought, `Why not?’ … It’s always fun, getting in a tilt. I don’t have to go looking for it, but when the time comes about, I’ll try not to back down.”

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:52 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
It sucks that sending Schenn down means he goes to Juniors.

It would be a no-brainer sending him to the AHL, if he was only allowed to go there.

He has little to gain from going back to the WHL but appears not quite ready for the Kings either. No man's land for Schenn right now.

Loktionov is just so good, he needs to be a King ASAP.
Yeah Loki was good this game and last. But he really cant be a Center in the NHL. I am 100% sure of that. If he is going to stick in the NHL it will be as a winger. I would hate to see Loki waste away on the 4th line. He has the skills to play in the top 6 over Parse thats for dam sure and If he sticks in the 4th line he will be on the top 6 after the first 10 games of the season chalk it up

Old
09-29-2010, 12:55 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Hammond:
Schenn
(on his fight with Luca Sbisa…)
SCHENN: “I fought him when I was 16, in the playoffs, actually. He made a hit on Scott Glennie and I fought him. He actually asked me (to fight) after we scored two goals, off the faceoff. I said, `I’ll see you in the third period.’ So he asked me again with about three minutes left, and I got pulled off. Then I got back out there and he asked me again, so I thought, `Why not?’ … It’s always fun, getting in a tilt. I don’t have to go looking for it, but when the time comes about, I’ll try not to back down.”
BEFORE THE FIGHT:
Luca Sbisa...."I fought him before and did good..."

DURING THE FIGHT:
Luca Sbisa..."Wow this kid is hitting me hard...REFS HELP!!!"

AFTER THE FIGHT:
Luca Sbisa..."Well, that didnt go the way I wanted it to go ICE PLEASE...!"

Old
09-29-2010, 12:55 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I agree to an extent but I'd just hate to see Schenn toil as an extra or getting 5 minutes a night on the 4th line.
He would also get an entire year's worth of practice time with the team. People tend to overlook that.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:56 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
He would also get an entire year's worth of practice time with the team. People tend to overlook that.
Yeah...But he could also struggle with the fact that he was a 5th overall pick and hes playing under 10 mins a night and it could tiggle with his confidence.

Old
09-29-2010, 12:57 AM
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Not a chance in hell Muzzin is better then Hickey "now". I love Muzzin and I know hes going to be a star for us. But he needs to play a year in the AHL. Hickey is an NHL ready d-man. And I am sure that Hickey will be on the roster opening night. Muzzin will go down to Manchester and play all areas. PP. PK ect.. and then will push for a spot.

Lokionov is more polished then Schenn which is a little dissapointing. Schenn is just not ready to be in the NHL. Lokionov is really smart player. I am just not sure that he can play on the 4th line with other teams phyical lines or energy lines. Should be interesting.

Out of all the guys we had out their that may be able to make the team the only one I am sure will be on the roster is Hickey. I have been dreading this pick since I herd "with the 4th overall pick the Kings select Thomas Hickey" but its starting to look like the pick is going to be okay. He is playing like Doughty did last year. Making all the right plays, smart plays but doesn't have the confidence to go out and blast a few out their.

Just read the other posts. I have no idea how people didn't see the things Hickey was doing tonight. Calm as a cucumber great skater only made 2 mistakes.

I wish we could play Loki on a Wing with Kopitar man that would be sick.
Sorry bro but I can't take your post seriously since you're a Real Madrid fan.

I'll give Hickey another look, but Muzzin looked slightly better to me tonight.

Anybody care about Möller or Lewis at this point?

Mr Irreverent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Rod Buskas*

(on Andrei Loktionov’s game…)
MURRAY: “Outstanding. On the power play, with our best players, most skilled players, he does not look out of place one bit. He made plays, he’s got a lot of composure when the pressure is on him, by the penalty-killing team. Tremendous.” Terry Murray

I really think Loki's gonna make the team. Very rarely will Terry Murray use words like "Outstanding" & "Tremendous" when describing a player, especially a rookie.

Last edited by Rod Buskas*: 09-29-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:00 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Sorry bro but I can't take your post seriously since you're a Real Madrid fan.

I'll give Hickey another look, but Muzzin looked slightly better to me tonight.

Anybody care about Möller or Lewis at this point?
Muzzin COULD have been better tonight.

AFTER the Kings went up 4-0 in the 1st period. I decide that I am just going to watch Hickey and Muzzin when they are on the ice instead of any scoring chances. Hickey was making passes all over the ice he even carried it into the zone a few times. He was just solid. And that's something that Kings fans are going to have to get use to. He isn't going to have Drew Doughty flash and hes not going to have Jack Johnson's hits or physical play but he will be in the middle and he will silently play solid hockey all year long with the possibility to pick up some more offensive flash. You can just count on Hickey to make great breakout passes. Minimal mistakes and smart play.