HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings and some team, 8-3 Final.

Old
09-29-2010, 01:02 AM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
He would also get an entire year's worth of practice time with the team. People tend to overlook that.
That's true and it really just comes down to what they think he needs to work on the most and can that be done by potentially only getting marginal minutes in the NHL? They've seen a hell of a lot more of him than I so I'm sure they've already thought it all out. It's really too bad he can't go to the AHL.

I think the biggest things Schenn, from my limited viewings, needs to work on is his skating first and foremost and his strength. Given that he dominated the WHL last year, it'd be tough to imagine he'd improve on those two things drastically there without some serious self dedication and cooperation by his Junior team, which isn't likely. The only benefits in my mind of him going back to Juniors are potentially the WHL/CHL playoffs and WJC.

09-29-2010, 01:02 AM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Yeah...But he could also struggle with the fact that he was a 5th overall pick and hes playing under 10 mins a night and it could tiggle with his confidence.
Yeah, but I don't think so. There was an interview with DL on Hammond's site a while ago (don't have the link, but I assure you its there) where Lombardi said something along the lines that Schenn actually made sure that his contract was organized so that his bonuses were heavily weighted based on what kind of roll he played. He didn't get to into the details, but it seemed like Schenn realized that Dean wouldn't want a 3.something cap hit centering his 4th line so if Schenn played a 4th line roll he wouldn't obtain those bonuses and would in the end have a much more managable cap hit. That, coupled with the fight, shows me that Schenn would be completely content playing 8-10 minutes a game in the NHL as a 4th line center this season over returning to the juniors. He knows he's not going to win the Calder playing on the 4th line, but he's willing to do it.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:03 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Hammond:
Schenn
(on his fight with Luca Sbisa…)
SCHENN: “I fought him when I was 16, in the playoffs, actually. He made a hit on Scott Glennie and I fought him. He actually asked me (to fight) after we scored two goals, off the faceoff. I said, `I’ll see you in the third period.’ So he asked me again with about three minutes left, and I got pulled off. Then I got back out there and he asked me again, so I thought, `Why not?’ … It’s always fun, getting in a tilt. I don’t have to go looking for it, but when the time comes about, I’ll try not to back down.”
The way I imagined that coming to fruition was much more exciting and initiated on Schenn's part.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
(on Andrei Loktionov’s game…)
MURRAY: “Outstanding. On the power play, with our best players, most skilled players, he does not look out of place one bit. He made plays, he’s got a lot of composure when the pressure is on him, by the penalty-killing team. Tremendous.” Terry Murray

I really think Loki's gonna make the team. Very will Terry Murray use words like "Outstanding" & "Tremendous" when describing a player, especially a rookie.
What Murray said is what I saw also. Tremendous is the word.

I will go out on a limb and say this is potentially the best late round pick for the Kings since Robitaille.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:06 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
Yeah, but I don't think so. There was an interview with DL on Hammond's site a while ago (don't have the link, but I assure you its there) where Lombardi said something along the lines that Schenn actually made sure that his contract was organized so that his bonuses were heavily weighted based on what kind of roll he played. He didn't get to into the details, but it seemed like Schenn realized that Dean wouldn't want a 3.something cap hit centering his 4th line so if Schenn played a 4th line roll he wouldn't obtain those bonuses and would in the end have a much more managable cap hit. That, coupled with the fight, shows me that Schenn would be completely content playing 8-10 minutes a game in the NHL as a 4th line center this season over returning to the juniors. He knows he's not going to win the Calder playing on the 4th line, but he's willing to do it.

Saw it... I think the Kings should bring Schenn in the same way that they brought Simmonds in. Find a place for him where is he playing between 2 solid NHL players that he can learn from and build confidence with. And that's not on the 4th line with Westgarth and most likely Clune. I don't want Schenn to identify himself as a defense only grit player. I want Schenn to identify himself as a 20+ plus goal scorer.

I really am TORN about this whole Schenn thing man. I just thought he was going to be the next Mike Richards or Getzlaf. I dont know. I guess the best thing is to just give him time. I dont want him to follow in Oscar`s skates. you know? That would suck.

But I am fine with whatever the Kings decide to do. Except have Harrold on the the roster with both Muzzin and Hickey playing good hockey lol.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Wow, never seen (or heard) Terry Murray gush about a player like he did with Loktionov tonight. Can't blame him either. I'm still surprised...

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:09 AM
vital

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Yeah...But he could also struggle with the fact that he was a 5th overall pick and hes playing under 10 mins a night and it could tiggle with his confidence.
And sending him back to Juniors wont do the same?

vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:10 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

How was Mitchell? I'm assuming he was playing with Doughty

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:11 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital View Post
And sending him back to Juniors wont do the same?
I don't think so. I don't think Schenn has the same mental makeup as Jonathan Bernier to be honest with you.

I just really dont want to rush Schenn... as simple as I can put it. Unless we can find a spot for Schenn on the top 2 lines this year I dont think he should be their.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:13 AM
wicker

Man, this game was a treat to watch.

A few things...

1. JJ was beastly. So, so confident and poised, wow.

2. Doughty was sloppy, but his game usually picks up by game three into the season. I'm not worried.

3. Schenn can fight, wow. He looked a little hesitant, and that might be because of the light brace he is still wearing for his knee. I honestly think that the things he needs to work on in his game can only really be learned on the Kings. We'll find out soon enough.

4. Lokti did not look out of place, and had flashes of brilliance. A diamond in the rough, and our scouting staff is golden.

5. Williams looked fabulous. So much hustle. Loved it.

All in all, a very fun game.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:16 AM
johnjm22

Murray always uses the word "Tremendous."

I wouldn't say Lokti was better than Schenn tonight. He just plays a different game that obviously stands out on the power play. I thought Schenn was better at even strength.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I'm calling it now. Schenn makes the team, Clifford doesn't. Parse better hurry up and get health as well, Loktionov is going to take his spot, soon. I also don't get the Muzzin love, he's as bad as Drewiske, and both guys should be Manchester bound.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent;

Loktionov > Schenn.
It would be impossible for me to disagree any more. Schenn had a much better overall game than lokti IMHO. He created many more chances and took the body and wasn't scared to go into the corners. He set up no less than 3 or 4 scoring chances and face it even threw in a fight at the end.

lokti's goal was nice but the firers two periods he was decent at best while on the ice. Lost battles and was out of position multiple times.

Still, with that said, he didn't have a horrible game and what a great position to be in for the organization.

Love this team!

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:18 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

I wouldn't say Lokti was better than Schenn tonight. He just plays a different game that obviously stands out on the power play. I thought Schenn was better at even strength.
Schenn wasn't paired with Westgarth...

Old
09-29-2010, 01:19 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
It would be impossible for me to disagree any more. Schenn had a much better overall game than lokti IMHO. He created many more chances and took the body and wasn't scared to go into the corners. He set up no less than 3 or 4 scoring chances and face it even threw in a fight at the end.

lokti's goal was nice but the firers two periods he was decent at best while on the ice. Lost battles and was out of position multiple times.

Still, with that said, he didn't have a horrible game and what a great position to be in for the organization.

Love this team!
See my above post.

Old
09-29-2010, 01:22 AM
wicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

Yeah, Schenn was very solid even strength, and didn't get the power play time that Lokti did to show more of his skills.

We are pretty set, man. This is wonderful.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:24 AM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgson View Post
How was Mitchell? I'm assuming he was playing with Doughty
Mitchell was exactly what you expect. Not flashy and steady as a rock. He was paired with Doughty.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:25 AM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Schenn wasn't paired with Westgarth...
Nor was he on the powerplay

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:26 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Schenn played a damn good game and is going to be a HELL of a hockey player, in his time.

I don't think now is his time, and I don't think that has to do with 4th line minutes vs. top 6 time.

I think Schenn could hang in the NHL now, but I don't think he gets the spot right now. I think Loki and Lewis get the nod along with Clifford or Clune to be the 4th line forwards with Richie and Westgarth.

Ofcourse if Parse doesn't get healthy in a hurry, that throws thing out of whack.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:27 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent;
See my above post.
Ahhh the old bomb under the rock on the 18th green argument.

Old
09-29-2010, 01:30 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I'm calling it now. Schenn makes the team, Clifford doesn't. Parse better hurry up and get health as well, Loktionov is going to take his spot, soon. I also don't get the Muzzin love, he's as bad as Drewiske, and both guys should be Manchester bound.
Disagree big time. Muzzin didn't make bad plays. He steady and composed. He covers his own mistakes whereas Drewiskes mistakes led directly to scoring chances. I'm not saying Muzzin > Drewiske, but I definitely say that from what I've seen in this game and in practices, Muzzin > Hickey.

Old
09-29-2010, 01:31 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Schenn played a damn good game and is going to be a HELL of a hockey player, in his time.

I don't think now is his time, and I don't think that has to do with 4th line minutes vs. top 6 time.

I think Schenn could hang in the NHL now, but I don't think he gets the spot right now. I think Loki and Lewis get the nod along with Clifford or Clune to be the 4th line forwards with Richie and Westgarth.

Ofcourse if Parse doesn't get healthy in a hurry, that throws thing out of whack.
Schenn get smithing from going back to jrs. I say start parse in Manchester or IR and start both schenn and loktionov on the big club. At least 9 games. Still like schenns playmaking abilities more than lokti.

Then again it's only one game .

Old
09-29-2010, 01:32 AM
GOB Bluth

Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see how Lewis could take a spot after what these kids have shown this preseason. I would love to see Loktionov, Clune, Schenn and Clifford all make the team but I know that's basically impossible at this point. I like Parse but I'm not sure I like him on the second line more than Loktionov.

GOB Bluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:32 AM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Disagree big time. Muzzin didn't make bad plays. He steady and composed. He covers his own mistakes whereas Drewiskes mistakes led directly to scoring chances. I'm not saying Muzzin > Drewiske, but I definitely say that from what I've seen in this game and in practices, Muzzin > Hickey.
Muzzin looked pretty good out there, but I thought Hickey had the better game tonight. Both guys made mistakes (not as bad as Drewiske) but Hickey definitely looked more sharper than Muzzin.

Hickey > Muzzin

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:33 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Oh, and while I believe Frolov is a better player than Poni, Poni is A PERFECT fit for that third line. Holy hell, guys never stops moving, is FAST and my favorite, ZERO hesitation with the puck. Every time he got it he knew what he wanted to do with it.